joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Oh I forgot! D'name, I got a used ipad2 yesterday. It is in a case that looks like an otter box so when I drop it maybe it won't break. I think it is great. The display is fabulous. I could go on and on! I traded an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen for this ipad2 that has a bad power button and $25. i think i got a great deal! I may get it fixed and may not. If it times out all I have to is plug it in and it comes on. Hubby and daughter have already tried to claim it.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
edlada wrote:Hi there. Good that the husband is coming home, at least for him. If it hasn't already been suggested, you might want to consider getting a raised toilet seat. It makes getting on and off the throne far easier when it is difficult to bend/put weight on one leg.

Both our toilets are handicap height. In fact, they don't even make the one in the main bathroom anymore, it's 18". Most are now 17".

I'd like to know if the ADA has been watered down because I know there's a bunch of public handicapped stalls where the toilets are normal height.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

edlada

quality posts: 6 Private Messages edlada
pooflady wrote:Both our toilets are handicap height. In fact, they don't even make the one in the main bathroom anymore, it's 18". Most are now 17".

I'd like to know if the ADA has been watered down because I know there's a bunch of public handicapped stalls where the toilets are normal height.

Good to know the Poof Guy can go in peace and comfort. Maybe with the handicapped toilets in public places they can get away with a normal height because of the handrails. Just thinking, I really have no idea!

On a side note, when I worked as an Army civilian my first couple of years I worked in a social work type office. The Army is required to adhere to ADA requirements even though most soldiers are obviously fit and the number of family members with special needs was far lower than the population in general. It is funny to go to a military shopping center and see a huge amount of handicap parking spaces (usually empty) because as I recall you need 1 handicap place for every 100 normal spaces. This was before the second Gulf war and Afghanistan so unfortunately there may be more need now.

My dogs like me, that is important.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

edlada wrote:Good to know the Poof Guy can go in peace and comfort. Maybe with the handicapped toilets in public places they can get away with a normal height because of the handrails. Just thinking, I really have no idea!

On a side note, when I worked as an Army civilian my first couple of years I worked in a social work type office. The Army is required to adhere to ADA requirements even though most soldiers are obviously fit and the number of family members with special needs was far lower than the population in general. It is funny to go to a military shopping center and see a huge amount of handicap parking spaces (usually empty) because as I recall you need 1 handicap place for every 100 normal spaces. This was before the second Gulf war and Afghanistan so unfortunately there may be more need now.

My stepdad's brother in law would be very happy! (step dad's first wife's, sisters husband)
He came back from WWII paralyzed from the waist down.
He fought for handicap rights!
We had a copy of a Edward R Murrow TV show he was on.
He told a story about testifying at the pentagon about handicap rights. He told them, "I had to ask a stranger to lift me on and off the toilet, because you have no facilities for me in the entire building"

He was a young guy, so he drove with a special car. He could lift the wheelchair out of the back seat by himself.
The government built him a one floor house with a pool with a lift in the yard.

I often wonder if he was the first to push for this stuff.
He died young, so he never saw it extend to the normal day to day world.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

When I lived on base, the handicap spots were usually taken by retirees on base to shop.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:When I lived on base, the handicap spots were usually taken by retirees on base to shop.

I bet. My uncle would drive over 100 miles to go shop on base. I wonder if he ever added in the gas cost?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

edlada

Mavyn wrote:When I lived on base, the handicap spots were usually taken by retirees on base to shop.

In the US there are a lot of retirees for sure. Overseas bases, not so many. I am not sure how the government enforces federal laws because every military base overseas is owned by the host country and therefore federal laws don't apply. The uniformed people fall under the UCMJ but it doesn't apply to the US civilians. I questioned why the ADA applied on overseas bases where other laws didn't and nobody could answer that. We used to say that if a US civilian (employee or family member) murdered an American on base and the host country declined to prosecute, the worse thing that could happen is the US government would send the civilian home, the US has no jurisdiction on foreign soil except over soldiers. In Japan particularly that was a real possibility, the Japanese had no concern about what Americans did to each other on base. Off base was another story.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:I bet. My uncle would drive over 100 miles to go shop on base. I wonder if he ever added in the gas cost?

uncle=generation previous to yours ... gas prolly 5¢ / galleon

no1

luke975 wrote:not from that woof-off. Just a bunch of stuff that nobody wanted. everything seemed to take forever to sell.

so ... pretty much like every wootoff now.

Mavyn

dontwantaname wrote:I bet. My uncle would drive over 100 miles to go shop on base. I wonder if he ever added in the gas cost?

From experience, even adding in gas prices, it would be worth it. Consider for cigarettes--no tax on base. In California, that meant ~$10 per carton difference. Same for booze. The on-base grocery store was about 75% less than buying off base for the same items.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:From experience, even adding in gas prices, it would be worth it. Consider for cigarettes--no tax on base. In California, that meant ~$10 per carton difference. Same for booze. The on-base grocery store was about 75% less than buying off base for the same items.

No tax on cigerattes? I don't know how much is tax, but I think a pack is close to $10 here.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:No tax on cigerattes? I don't know how much is tax, but I think a pack is close to $10 here.

here in prison it's four butts for a butt.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_taxes_in_the_United_States

edlada

Mavyn wrote:From experience, even adding in gas prices, it would be worth it. Consider for cigarettes--no tax on base. In California, that meant ~$10 per carton difference. Same for booze. The on-base grocery store was about 75% less than buying off base for the same items.

I am not sure how long ago you were in a military commissary but they weren't much of a bargain when I left Germany 5 years ago. When I was on active duty in the US in Texas (early '90s), many things were the same price at the local HEB, the biggest savings were on non-food items such as paper goods, soap, etc.. In Europe and Japan it was a little more difficult to compare and at the commissary you could get all the US food you craved so it was O.K. but I did a lot of my food shopping off post in both places because of the selection and freshness of many items. Cigarette prices were great in the commissary until the military got serious about aiding no smoking campaigns and they kept raising the prices and cutting the selection until depending on the state you were in, there wasn't always a big difference there either. The PX or Post Exchange is even worse, in the US about the only price difference was not paying the local sales tax (in San Antonio that was about 8%) and there is no PX in the system that has the selection you can find outside the gate. Again overseas is a little different because of cultural differences. A number of years ago a law was passed that military liquor stores couldn't sell liquor any lower than 10% less than the local prices so still a bargain but not like it was.

Edit: I was typing my reply while you posted below.

Mavyn

dontwantaname wrote:No tax on cigerattes? I don't know how much is tax, but I think a pack is close to $10 here.

This was several years ago. I don't know how much different it would be now...I quit smoking a few years back. 2006, maybe?

jawsuser

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jawsuser

Hi All, I think I'm back among the living.
I definitely do not recommend getting dehydrated! Saw RNPA on Wednesday. She said I was dehydrated so they rolled me across the parking lot to the hospital ER. Small town, no urgent care. Three liters later I got to come home. Finally feeling somewhat human. Not totally, but somewhat.

Lynnzoi so sorry to hear about Reddog. I loved your updates. He wasn't very old at two and a half. Glad Joey is being himself. If I were closer I might borrow him as company for dad. Very glad to hear that Santana is getting along okay.

Joyner glad to hear the good news about the mushagram.

Hoping someone will hear from Ice soon.

Running out of steam so back to bed for me.

pooflady

jawsuser wrote:Hi All, I think I'm back among the living.
I definitely do not recommend getting dehydrated! Saw RNPA on Wednesday. She said I was dehydrated so they rolled me across the parking lot to the hospital ER. Small town, no urgent care. Three liters later I got to come home. Finally feeling somewhat human. Not totally, but somewhat.

Lynnzoi so sorry to hear about Reddog. I loved your updates. He wasn't very old at two and a half. Glad Joey is being himself. If I were closer I might borrow him as company for dad. Very glad to hear that Santana is getting along okay.

Joyner glad to hear the good news about the mushagram.

Hoping someone will hear from Ice soon.

Running out of steam so back to bed for me.

Mo was 12 1/2.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:here in prison it's four butts for a butt.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_taxes_in_the_United_States

Don't drop your soap in the shower.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

joyner

Glad you are back among the living!

joyner

joyner wrote:glad you are back among the living!

Jaws, glad you are back among the living!

jawsuser

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jawsuser
joyner wrote:Jaws, glad you are back among the living!

Thanks! Me too. I don't like being out of commission that long. Thankfully dad is okay all things considered.

pooflady wrote:Mo was 12 1/2.

That makes more sense.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Evening all.

Baby shower tomorrow - leave for Vegas for work conference Sunday. busy busy!

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:Evening all.

Baby shower tomorrow - leave for Vegas for work conference Sunday. busy busy!

Fun, fun, fun.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Fun, fun, fun.

should be.

I think consultant is taking us to Cirque de Soleil Micheal Jackson show on Monday.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:should be.

I think consultant is taking us to Cirque de Soleil Micheal Jackson show on Monday.

Neat. Do you gamble?

joyner

Good morning everybody! Brrrrrrr! Lots to get done today before we leave for the beach tomorrow. I can't wait to make a pie with the Pink Lady apples we bought when I went to the endocrinologist. I also snagged the baby food prunes that daughter bought for Elizabeth. She was trying everything to see if she was allergic. I am supposed to have a cake recipe that uses them. It is a dark spice cake baked in a bundt pan. I hope I can find the recipe.

pooflady

Still nothing from Ice. Wish he'd check in.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Neat. Do you gamble?

not really. I played three card poker 2 years ago when I was there and had a nice beginner's luck winning hand. but the friend who taught me isn't going and now I'm scared to play because I have forgotten everything. lol.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Have a weird cold here.

That is all.

Rusty wants to go for his walk.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Still nothing from Ice. Wish he'd check in.

me too.

joyner

kdccrosby wrote:me too.

Me three.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

joyner wrote:Me three.

Me four.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

One more day of driving to rehab. And taking food. Breakfast and dinner tomorrow. That should be it. Maybe lunch. He's supposed to be released Monday in time to make a doctor's appointment at 1:00. He better be.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:One more day of driving to rehab. And taking food. Breakfast and dinner tomorrow. That should be it. Maybe lunch. He's supposed to be released Monday in time to make a doctor's appointment at 1:00. He better be.

woo hoo!!! //crosses fingers all goes well//

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:woo hoo!!! //crosses fingers all goes well//

Cross your fingers, too, that we don't have grouchy days. There's been a few between the hospital and rehab, but I could leave for a while. And since he's going to be somewhat confined, this might get ugly. On the other hand, I might be worrying about nothing.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Cross your fingers, too, that we don't have grouchy days. There's been a few between the hospital and rehab, but I could leave for a while. And since he's going to be somewhat confined, this might get ugly. On the other hand, I might be worrying about nothing.

Fingers duly crossed.

How often is the home health physical therapy coming in? I found that the in-patient therapy was a lot better - so if they give you a list of suggested exercises, take 'em! My mom would only do what someone other than me would tell her to do and our home health kind of sucked. we found out later he was supposed to have re-evaluated her and recommended out-patient therapy several weeks before someone finally did.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:Fingers duly crossed.

How often is the home health physical therapy coming in? I found that the in-patient therapy was a lot better - so if they give you a list of suggested exercises, take 'em! My mom would only do what someone other than me would tell her to do and our home health kind of sucked. we found out later he was supposed to have re-evaluated her and recommended out-patient therapy several weeks before someone finally did.

Somewhere I got the idea that home health would be coming for two weeks, but I can't remember where I got that from. The home health outfit is handpicked by his surgeon, who the hospital nurses said was real picky. After that, physical therapy at the surgeon's group's offices.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Somewhere I got the idea that home health would be coming for two weeks, but I can't remember where I got that from. The home health outfit is handpicked by his surgeon, who the hospital nurses said was real picky. After that, physical therapy at the surgeon's group's offices.

sounds good

joyner

pooflady wrote:Somewhere I got the idea that home health would be coming for two weeks, but I can't remember where I got that from. The home health outfit is handpicked by his surgeon, who the hospital nurses said was real picky. After that, physical therapy at the surgeon's group's offices.

Good luck, Poof! I can't sleep. I think I'm ready to go back to the beach. I or we will come in for a day or so before Thanksging and take Daughter and Elizabeth back to the beach for Thanksgiving. Then back here for a couple of weeks in December and Christmas.

hot72chev

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hot72chev
joyner wrote:Good luck, Poof! I can't sleep. I think I'm ready to go back to the beach. I or we will come in for a day or so before Thanksging and take Daughter and Elizabeth back to the beach for Thanksgiving. Then back here for a couple of weeks in December and Christmas.

joyner, which beach is this that you speak of so often? I am jealous!

And what are these little "S"'s that have appeared over our avatars in the last few days? Or are they dollar signs and I just can't see anymore?

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

pooflady

Morning all. Had breakfast and read the paper with husband. Home now. Nap time, I believe.

Little Ss? I don't have any. You must be special.