zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

lichme

quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Item: Apple Lightning to USB Cable
Price: $9.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/25/2013 - $9.99 (Woot-off) - 21 comment(s)
9/24/2013 - $9.99 (Woot-off) - 24 comment(s)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

A FEW THINGS TO NOTE:

These are real, 100% authentic Apple Cables.

They are not retail box packaged. They will come loose in an envelope.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Dissonance

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Dissonance

Bought 6 of these last Woot-Off (3 of them each of the two times it came up).

They're the real deal. Great price!

yfaber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yfaber

What will they think of next? Brilliant. Now we need a different fruit and a different source of energy. Perhaps Guava Earthquake cables?!?

timg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timg

They say made by Apple, but will ship in bulk packaging? Seems dubious at best.

I bought 2 of these last time and returned them because there is no way to know they are genuine Apple products.

It doesn't help any that with the new iOS, Apple has started disabling non-Apple, non-licensed USB to Lightning cables!

ThunderThighs

Staff

timg wrote:They say made by Apple, but will ship in bulk packaging? Seems dubious at best.

I bought 2 of these last time and returned them because there is no way to know they are genuine Apple products.

It doesn't help any that with the new iOS, Apple has started disabling non-Apple, non-licensed USB to Lightning cables!

They are genuine. They were purchased in bulk and secured/wrapped just like the cables that come with your device.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

RoSic1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RoSic1

In for two! Woot Woot!

unlikely

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unlikely
timg wrote:I bought 2 of these last time and returned them because there is no way to know they are genuine Apple products.

Seems to me that if that's true, then there's an easy way to tell. Plug it in; if it works, it is genuine, and if it doesn't it isn't.

Dissonance

timg wrote:They say made by Apple, but will ship in bulk packaging? Seems dubious at best.

They're real. They are identical in every way to the ones that came with my wife's iPhone 5s and my son's iPod 5.

The warranty is from Apple!

Teluvian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Teluvian

Comments from previous Woot-Offs where these cables appeared do not look encouraging. Seems like there are some people that receieved empty packages, while those that did receive cables received them without any Apple-branded packaging whatsoever. Looks like it is hard to verify that these are genuine Apple products.

Winnowill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Winnowill
unlikely wrote:Seems to me that if that's true, then there's an easy way to tell. Plug it in; if it works, it is genuine, and if it doesn't it isn't.

I dunno - I bought two off-brand ones at Fry's Electronics last week ($9.99, also), and they work on my 5C with iOS7 just fine.

timg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timg
Dissonance wrote:They're real. They are identical in every way to the ones that came with my wife's iPhone 5s and my son's iPod 5.

The warranty is from Apple!

The ones I received showed up in a plain envelope without even a packing slip. There's nothing to prove they are authentic cables except a comment on this website.

I'll pass. Thanks anyway.

nickstewartroc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickstewartroc

Be careful of these, friend of mine bought these last time around, and both come up as unsupported on both of our 5's

You know what sucks? Vacuums

ThunderThighs

Staff

timg wrote:The ones I received showed up in a plain envelope without even a packing slip. There's nothing to prove they are authentic cables except a comment on this website.

We rarely send packing slips with our orders. That's nothing new.

Dissonance

Teluvian wrote:Comments from previous Woot-Offs where these cables appeared do not look encouraging. Seems like there are some people that receieved empty packages, while those that did receive cables received them without any Apple-branded packaging whatsoever. Looks like it is hard to verify that these are genuine Apple products.

The packaging is the same as when you buy a box of iPads (yes, I've done this - for a school). They package them in individual sealed bags with no logo on them. Why pay for branding on something like that.

They aren't normally sold this way so most people never see this packaging and it freaks them out.

Man, you guys are paranoid!

fun69ohguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fun69ohguy

I ordered two of these last time... An empty brown envelope arrived shipped from Brooklyn NY, woot did refund my purchase money

Wolffhardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wolffhardt
timg wrote:The ones I received showed up in a plain envelope without even a packing slip. There's nothing to prove they are authentic cables except a comment on this website.

Just curious (Because they're obviously genuine, Woot doesn't blatantly lie multiple times), but if these came in a ziploc bag with apple's logo taped to it.. Would that actually quell some sort of fear you have?

ricktt3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ricktt3

These are a good price. Bought some cheap ones and they didn't last long at all. Got one of the "mothership basics" cables. Seems like a good one, but the each price for these are less. In for two.

Now, if these turn out to be knockoffs, I will not be pleased.

wtrew

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wtrew

People, you can feel whether an Apple cable is genuine -- I've never felt a knockoff that got the materials and flexibility right. Also, you think a woot staffer would lie directly like that? They said these are genuine above. In for two.

supaflyy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supaflyy

$14.99 for an 85 cent cable.

Think different, indeed.

dbamberg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dbamberg
nickstewartroc wrote:Be careful of these, friend of mine bought these last time around, and both come up as unsupported on both of our 5's

Hey TT: Any comment on whether these will indeed work with the new 5S iphone?

Dissonance

dbamberg wrote:Hey TT: Any comment on whether these will indeed work with the new 5S iphone?

Yes. I can confirm they work with the iPhone 5S and the iPod 5.

ThunderThighs

Staff

dbamberg wrote:Hey TT: Any comment on whether these will indeed work with the new 5S iphone?

They're authentic Apple lightning cables. As long as Apple didn't change anything....

But no, I haven't tested it.

WhoCares742

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WhoCares742

Bought 3 the last time they were offered. They are packaged (wrapped) the same as the one that came with my iPhone and seem genuine. No error messages when connecting to the computer or power, unlike my $5 Chinese knockoff cables. They came in a plain brown envelope, no padding, no sales receipts and the sender was listed by FedEx as mortgage company in Brooklyn. A little digging and I discovered that there was also a cell phone retailer at the same address. Seems a bit shady and I felt lucky that cables weren't damaged, but they all work fine.

dbamberg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dbamberg
ThunderThighs wrote:They're authentic Apple lightning cables. As long as Apple didn't change anything....

But no, I haven't tested it.

good enough for me! I'm in for 2

celticlass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celticlass

The only thing that i wish i had paid more attention to is that fact that they are just the cables, no more. i was expecting the plug too. no dice. my bad.

ThunderThighs

Staff

WhoCares742 wrote:Bought 3 the last time they were offered. They are packaged (wrapped) they same as the one that came with my iPhone and seem genuine. No error messages when connecting to the computer. They came in a plain brown envelope, no padding, no sales receipts and the sender was listed by FedEx as mortgage company in Brooklyn. A little digging and I discovered that there was also a cell phone retailer at the same address. Seems a bit shady and I felt lucky that cables weren't damaged, but they all work fine.

Yeah, they said that FedEx used the wrong return address. I dunno.

werdze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages werdze
Dissonance wrote:Yes. I can confirm they work with the iPhone 5S and the iPod 5.

Same here. I bought 3 in the last Woot Off and they have been used with an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s. And they feel the exact same as a normal Apple Lighning Cable that comes with any new Apple devices.

CooperDude

quality posts: 10 Private Messages CooperDude

But it's a comment from ThunderThighs. You can't get a more reliable source!

clintiv

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clintiv

I got 3 last time. They are real Apple cables.

ThunderThighs

Staff

CooperDude wrote:But it's a comment from ThunderThighs. You can't get a more reliable source!

D'aawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. ♥♥♥

soleryder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soleryder

my gf ordered 3 of these last time they showed up on woot. They charge and all but i dont believe they are the real deal, they came loose as noted and the way it was rolled was somewhat loose and not at all taut and precise as the original cables i bought. But they charge the phone.

werdze

werdze wrote:Same here. I bought 3 in the last Woot Off and they have been used with an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s. And they feel the exact same as a normal Apple Lighning Cable that comes with any new Apple devices.

Also the only cables that come up with an error message on iOS 7 are the ones that aren't licensed directly by Apple. So if a company tries to copy the design of the lightning cable, especially the end of it which goes into the phone, it might/usually won't work anymore. But if a company, such as Frys which was mentioned above or another reputable company, licenses the technology to create the lightning cable from Apple, then it is guaranteed to work.

And one more thing: If you look really really closely at this cable and the one that came with your iDevice, you can tell it is the exact same cable. If it was a clone, they wouldn't have been able to make it look the exact same as a normal cable.

imabasser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imabasser
supaflyy wrote:$14.99 for an 85 cent cable.

Think different, indeed.

How this is seen as a good deal is beyond me. A bus that is meant to be universal and simple brought to its knees...

milehighassassin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milehighassassin

Not a great deal. Sure they say they are "Apple" cords but for $10 plus $5 shipping that is $15 (I am really good at math). I can buy an Amazon Lightning cable for $14.99 anytime I want with free shipping. Sure if you can buy three they are $11.65 a piece but woot only lets you buy 2, so 412.49 a piece. I'll stick with the Amazon basics cable which works fine.

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr

I just looked on Ebay.
two fire wire cables/w ac/car Charge
Free shipping. yes you have to pay the tax for $6.97
so it makes this deal look expensive

werdze

milehighassassin wrote:Not a great deal. Sure they say they are "Apple" cords but for $10 plus $5 shipping that is $15 (I am really good at math). I can buy an Amazon Lightning cable for $14.99 anytime I want with free shipping. Sure if you can buy three they are $11.65 a piece but woot only lets you buy 2, so 412.49 a piece. I'll stick with the Amazon basics cable which works fine.

The only major differences between the Apple Lightning cable and the Amazon Basics Lightning cable are that the Amazon cable is a little thicker, which most people won't care about, and the Amazon one comes in 3 foot long and 6 foot long versions for $14 and $15 respectively. Also one they are different colors too, but most people don't really care about that either. And this one one Woot is about a 3 foot long cable.

chubechpmnk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chubechpmnk

The reviews on Apple are worse for the name-brand than the ones for the knock-off 6-ft. cord on Amazon.

werdze

jimmyjayjr wrote:I just looked on Ebay.
two fire wire cables/w ac/car Charge
Free shipping. yes you have to pay the tax for $6.97
so it makes this deal look expensive

But the cables on eBay aren't guaranteed going to work with iDevices on iOS 7. They might or they might not, but you wouldn't know until you get it.

And by fire wire, I assume you are talking about the same kind of cable as this one, which is a Lightning cable.