Item: Econo-Heat Wall Heater
Price: $59.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Best word replacement ever.

And I have two of these, they're great for keeping small to midsize rooms warm, not so great for heating up a room (but what do you expect for 400 watts?). Debating picking up one for the basement...

johmination

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johmination

More of a small room warmer than a heater, per se. Gets the job done though.

Good reviews on Home Depot website.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Econo-Heat-400-Watt-Wall-Panel-Convection-Heater-603/202882716#.Ul9wYGTk9cQ

nobiletin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nobiletin

Bought two around this time last year, practically replaced the central AC in our house at night, but then again we live down south. Best thing I like about it, it's quiet, plus it doesn't blow air out to my feet.

hippie19

quality posts: 21 Private Messages hippie19

Searched on the Googles and couldn't find the front clearance for this. I wanted to put it behind a couch, but I also don't want my place to burn down. I even read the user manual.

yojane2118

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yojane2118
greyday wrote:Best word replacement ever.

And I have two of these, they're great for keeping small to midsize rooms warm, not so great for heating up a room (but what do you expect for 400 watts?). Debating picking up one for the basement...

Is it costly to run?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.4 out of 5.0) over at wayfair.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out the product page

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur
hippie19 wrote:Searched on the Googles and couldn't find the front clearance for this. I wanted to put it behind a couch, but I also don't want my place to burn down. I even read the user manual.

I have a couple of these. First, putting it behind a couch would negate or at least greatly reduce the convection effect of this heater. It gets hot enough to put your hand on it for several seconds with some discomfort. It probably would not ignite a fabric couch that it is not directly in contact with, but it wouldn't be kind to the material over time either. I'd say the reduced benefit isn't worth any risk.

Winnowill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Winnowill

Is it an indoor-only thing? We have a vegetable garden that is mostly walled, and even kind of ceiling-ed, but still outdoors. If this worked outdoors, it would be ideal for saving hubby's veggies during the (rare) Phoenix freeze.

poochie098

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poochie098
yojane2118 wrote:Is it costly to run?

Not if you use off brand running shoes.

bergmanf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bergmanf

Posting to thank the author for reminding me of that Stero MCs song I haven't heard in years. I knew it from the *Hackers* soundtrack; I wonder how many others do.

poochie098

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poochie098

$7 more sold by Amazon with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Econo-Heat-0603-E-Heater-White/dp/B005DKN20W

shaver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shaver

I found this.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/ul-warns-of-potentially-hazardous-wall-mounted-air-heater-865429.htm

[MOD: removed long post since it's the wrong model. Follow link above to read.]

Edit: It looks like the 603 model is legit.
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=KKWS.E311732&ccnshorttitle=Air+Heaters,+Room,+Fixed+and+Location+Dedicated&objid=1079049543&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073989100&sequence=1#PAGETOP

-Chad

argyjr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages argyjr
shaver wrote:I found this.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/ul-warns-of-potentially-hazardous-wall-mounted-air-heater-865429.htm

Well then it's a good thing the model Woot is currently selling is 603 & made in China.

ron76053

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ron76053
hippie19 wrote:Searched on the Googles and couldn't find the front clearance for this. I wanted to put it behind a couch, but I also don't want my place to burn down. I even read the user manual.

I read on Amazon that it needs 3 feet of clearance from the wall to properly heat the room.

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" - Ronald Reagan

jackazz76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackazz76

Hippie19

They list max surface temp at 195f, water boils at 212f... I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure that boiling water wouldn't ignite even gasoline vapors. I think you'd be safe setting toilet tissue on top of this... but DON'T try that.

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur
Winnowill wrote:Is it an indoor-only thing? We have a vegetable garden that is mostly walled, and even kind of ceiling-ed, but still outdoors. If this worked outdoors, it would be ideal for saving hubby's veggies during the (rare) Phoenix freeze.

I wouldn't use it outdoors. The ceramic covering appears to be porous and would likely crack outdoors. I'm sure it is not rated for outdoors.

quizman125

quality posts: 4 Private Messages quizman125

So does it just run constantly or is there some sort of thermostat built in?

I would be in for one or two if it would shut off when the room was about 70ish - I have oil filled radiant heaters but they dont look great...

slavnar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slavnar

I bought one of these a year ago. I did some research on them that I will share, as well as my experiences.

Pros.
1. According to the manufacturer's specs, it's very cheap to run this product as it doesn't use much power. I did the calculations last year, and it would be something like 20-30 dollars a month if you run it a lot.

2. it does heat your room. I have one for my bedroom, and it will keep the room toasty and warm.

3. Mounting it on the wall is nice, keeps it out of the way, and I don't have to shove a heater in storage somewhere and dig it out later on.

CONS

1. It makes the wall behind it VERY warm/hot.

2. It does not have a thermostat. You have to manually turn it off/on. I read however that you can hook it up to one, but I didn't.

3. It gets hot to the touch, as in, you wouldn't wanna brush our bare leg against it. IT won't burn you unless you hold up against it for awhile, but it will be quite uncomfortable.

4. I have heard that they can burn out rather easily, due to the switch failing. Mine still works after about 3 months of using it regularly.

msrowyredhead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msrowyredhead
greyday wrote:Best word replacement ever.

Unless you have wallboard walls you will not be able to hang it...

kildar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kildar
poochie098 wrote:Not if you use off brand running shoes.

well played, sir or madam. i commend you. :-D

msrowyredhead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msrowyredhead

I bought two of these last October. One is still in the box. The problem?? I have solid lathe & plaster walls, and with the enclosed hardware they cannot be hung on my walls.
We did manage to improvise the hanging of one, using hardware purchased separately at the local hardware store) This involved drilling the beam, inserting bolts through the "adapted" tube, and securing with wing nuts. It was a grueling job with many expletives involved. Not exactly attractive either.
Due to the lack of thermostat, I have it on an appliance timer. It takes the chill off the room, but does not warm it thoroughly.
Wishing I had returned the second, as when we finally got around to facing the onerous installation a second time, there was no suitable area for installation without rearranging the entire basement. It is still unopened in the box.
I am sure wit works fine in smaller rooms with wallboard walls.. just make sure you will be able to hang it before you buy it!!

GrandPoubah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GrandPoubah

Im your momma..im your daddy

Best description ever.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
Winnowill wrote:Is it an indoor-only thing? We have a vegetable garden that is mostly walled, and even kind of ceiling-ed, but still outdoors. If this worked outdoors, it would be ideal for saving hubby's veggies during the (rare) Phoenix freeze.

Even if it was rated for outdoor use(I'm sure it isn't) it wouldn't do much good. This needs still air in an enclosed space to raise the temperature a noticeable amount.

williamw404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamw404

Does anyone have experience with how this product performs in a 20x20 garage? (temp in 30's maybe?)

I loved Poochie's comment on the running shoes.

kayzbluegenes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayzbluegenes
msrowyredhead wrote:I bought two of these last October. One is still in the box. The problem?? I have solid lathe & plaster walls, and with the enclosed hardware they cannot be hung on my walls.
We did manage to improvise the hanging of one, using hardware purchased separately at the local hardware store) This involved drilling the beam, inserting bolts through the "adapted" tube, and securing with wing nuts. It was a grueling job with many expletives involved. Not exactly attractive either.
Due to the lack of thermostat, I have it on an appliance timer. It takes the chill off the room, but does not warm it thoroughly.
Wishing I had returned the second, as when we finally got around to facing the onerous installation a second time, there was no suitable area for installation without rearranging the entire basement. It is still unopened in the box.
I am sure wit works fine in smaller rooms with wallboard walls.. just make sure you will be able to hang it before you buy it!!

Sell it on Ebay... or... to me ;-Þ

ducss750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ducss750

The soft-pron background music on the thermal imaging video really sets the mood...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyn2-ZmiTTk

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I have what appears to be a slightly smaller version of this (325 watts) with a metal stand. It is supposed to be used under a desk to keep your feet/legs warm.

I use it at night in the living room at the cats park around it, often with their furry butts aimed at it.

I wouldn't wall mount this one, but I would prop it up on the floor.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

entraine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages entraine
williamw404 wrote:Does anyone have experience with how this product performs in a 20x20 garage? (temp in 30's maybe?)

I loved Poochie's comment on the running shoes.

Normal garage? Either un-insulated or insulated, but not that great? I would expect it to warm it all the way into the 30's maybe. This is 400 watts. Think "hair dryer on low" in terms of heat output.

Here's a btu calculator that also gives Watts required. http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html?roomwidth=20&roomwidthunit=feet&roomlength=20&roomlengthunit=feet&ceilingheight=10&ceilingheightunit=feet&insulation=poor&temperature=1.5&temperatureunit=f&calctype=heat&x=71&y=11

dmrdrexel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmrdrexel
argyjr wrote:Well then it's a good thing the model Woot is currently selling is 603 & made in China.

I think this might be the first time anyone has ever said this.

hawkgirl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hawkgirl

I bought 2 of these last year. They will work well in a relatively mid to small-sized room (12x14), but will not heat up a garage with temp's in the 30's. No way. They will make a room in the low 60's heat up into the high 60's or 70's if the door is closed and it's well insulated.
We did not use the included hardware but used 2 Hercules hooks, which worked well. I was able to finagle them so there was about a 1/2 inch space behind them. They did not discolor the wall.

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus
msrowyredhead wrote:Unless you have wallboard walls you will not be able to hang it...

Not sure I understand. I have plaster walls and one blueboard wall in our redone bathroom. What's the issue about hanging it?

gordonmeyer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gordonmeyer

I've been running a pair of them for about 8 years now. They definitely help during Chicago winters.

Here is my blog post about them, with lots of reader comments.

For some, the panels develop hairline surface cracks but that's believed to be from improper mounting. The latest model from this company has a shell over the panel. Perhaps so you can't see any cracks and needlessly freak out.

http://www.gordonmeyer.com/2006/10/convection_wall.html

jerryb2339

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jerryb2339
poochie098 wrote:Not if you use off brand running shoes.

Excellent!

stewcat444

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewcat444

Not recomended for bathroom. Anyone use there anyway? Where i need constant warmth from a north facing wall. Would put on east wall .

jrconner384

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrconner384

Keep in mind that I'm guessing based on this being a ceramic heater and the fact that it says to mount it in a place where it can't fall in to water but I would assume it's not safe to use outside especially if there's chance of rain getting on it or of it getting sprayed while watering the garden.

Additionally, if there's any chance of getting garden chemicals on the thing or any critters/bugs too close to the heating element it could create unpleasant or even harmful odors.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it but, just to reiterate, I haven't done research specific to this product so I'm also not an actual authority on it.

whirsnap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whirsnap
stewcat444 wrote:Not recomended for bathroom. Anyone use there anyway? Where i need constant warmth from a north facing wall. Would put on east wall .

i have the version with the plastic shell over it. in the bathroom. the problem is that the bathroom is small, and it's a room where the door is obviously opened and closed quite a bit. i have the heater mounted under the window (the only place i could put it), but that's directly across from the door. so the warm air will go up, along the ceiling, and... out the door.

you'd have to keep the door closed, and the unit on all the time.

and it still isn't great for my use (bathroom). why? it's not instant heat. so if i take a shower without having the unit on for a long time before, it doesn't help. which is why everyone in the house uses a little forced air space heater. instant, warm heat for the duration of the, uh, heating need. then, off.

i think this would work fine if you're willing to leave it on all the time, in an area where the heat won't be constantly escaping. i'd feel better with a thermostat that could be set to a specific temperature, not just a knob that goes from high to low.

think of this thing like an oil filled radiator, except not nearly as much heat output.

and for the person who asked about a 20x20 garage, this isn't the heater for you.

Doug61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Doug61
shaver wrote:I found this.

Edit: It looks like the 603 model is legit.
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=KKWS.E311732&ccnshorttitle=Air+Heaters,+Room,+Fixed+and+Location+Dedicated&objid=1079049543&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073989100&sequence=1#PAGETOP

I have four of the above heaters, and have been using them since 2006. Last fall one DID burn and melt at the connections made under the name plate. Luckily it extinguished its self. ECONO-HEAT replaced the six year old heater with there current version (no charge.) I'm still using three 2006 wall heaters.