WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever owned your own business?
  • 12.2% - Yes, it's how I make my living 368
  • 11.7% - Yes, but it's a side thing to my day job 354
  • 21.5% - Yes, but not anymore 647
  • 15.5% - No, but I'm planning to 468
  • 39.1% - No, who needs the hassle? 1177
3014 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

wooticulousthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooticulousthomas

I am surprised that that people think owning your own business is a hassle. It's hard work yes, but if you love what you do first and not focus on getting rich first, you will succeed because people see that you love doing it and they pay for the passion you have toward their need.

mytdawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mytdawg
wooticulousthomas wrote:I am surprised that that people think owning your own business is a hassle. It's hard work yes, but if you love what you do first and not focus on getting rich first, you will succeed because people see that you love doing it and they pay for the passion you have toward their need.

Everybody that ever had a paper route (man I'm old) knows the hardest part is collecting. I've never been good at getting money from people. I'd starve if I had to rely on it.

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

Does it count that I did freelance IT work in high school and college? I never considered it my own business...but the IRS sure did.

scizzie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scizzie

I was self employed for a long time, but it wasn't really a business.

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

I've had my own business for my entire adult life. At this point I find it almost impossible to imagine working for anyone else--the possibility of getting fired, laid off, demoted, transferred, or working under an annoying boss just can't possibly be worth it. Seriously, I can't imagine how most people put up with it.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

I used to work for a small business so I got to see first hand what the owner had to put up with.
Customers that couldn't decide what they wanted, wanted things that couldn't be done, changed their mind after the job was done, even decided afterwards that they shouldn't have to pay the full price. Accounts receivable were always a problem; large customers refused to pay until 45-60 days out, small customers wouldn't pay until they needed another job done but somehow we were expected to pay all our bills within 30 days.
Employees were a problem too. Salesman who drank his lunch but never found any new customers, guy who clocked in earlier than he actually worked, loud arguments with soon-to-be exes.
Who needs all those headaches? I would never own a business.

pattiwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pattiwooter

love having my own business. I catered for years for other people. Now I cook and bake from home and charge the public less because they pick it up. I love the compliments i get when they return for more! Pattiwooter

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut

I was an eBay 'early adopter'. I used to buy items at local closeouts, auctions, even garage/estate sales for later resale. I was careful in my research and never lost money on items, but I found it hard to keep track of the time I spent (hard to know my hourly 'wage'). Once I got married & had kids, I couldn't keep up the effort of searching for bargains or maintaining the online 'store'.

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

I makevideo games for a living in my company. Theres only two of us. It's awesome except loving what you do can be distracting and you don't really know how much work your putting in. You have to watch your hours and spend time with your loved ones- its super important!

-

skoshisan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skoshisan

I started my own business on the side just so I could buy things for myself straight from the distributor at discount prices. It's a bonus if someone else wants something through me! BTW.. I'm one of those "so called" extremists. I'm a retired vet, a Christian, I vote, and I'm a gun dealer! IRS is going to come after me next!!

paboom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paboom

Based on these poll results, the future of this country doesn't look promising.

defigio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages defigio
wooticulousthomas wrote:I am surprised that that people think owning your own business is a hassle. It's hard work yes, but if you love what you do first and not focus on getting rich first, you will succeed because people see that you love doing it and they pay for the passion you have toward their need.

What if what you love is focusing on getting rich?

robgnts5611

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robgnts5611

Wow! Perfectly put.
Here's a thought, imagine owning your own business. Your employees do such a good job, and create a great atmosphere where 21-25 year olds will work for free just to learn what we do and how we do it.
Happens every day on this end & I couldn't be prouder of the guys that work with me.
Money is the last thing on my mind, do the job exceptionally right, the money will follow. God bless all our small business owners, keep America strong.

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2

Wouldn't mind doing it later in life, too many bills that have to be paid to bring on the risk of starting a new business. I would love to work for myself in retirement, I am not sure I will ever quit working I would be bored...

At the end of the day though I really am impressed with the people who who start their own business. Not as much the ones who inherited it or started with tons of family money though, but the ones who were the real rags to riches story always impressed me.