conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3128 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at bhphotovideo.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3128 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out the product page

sbrener

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrener

I have this camera along with an arsenal of DSLRs. This is a wonderful little camera with a fast, sharp lens and a terrific sensor that gets great image quality. The write speeds when shooting in RAW are slow, so that is frustrating, but outside of that, I love it. I keep it in my briefcase b/c it is portable, versatile and takes crisp, clean shots with noise only starting to creep in at ISO 800, which is quite a feat for a compact camera. I take shots at ISO 400 without a second though.

If you do get the camera, I highly recommend a vintage looking case like this (on which i often get compliments):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leather-Camera-Case-Bag-Cover-for-Pentax-MX-1-MX1-with-Strap-Three-Colors-/390639049479?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item5af3e6db07

taterloyyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taterloyyd

4.1 stars (out of 5) on Amazon.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Fast and bright, wide-aperture smc Pentax lens at F1.8-2.5

Finally a compact camera that might (and I repeat "might") allow you to shoot inside the gym if you have the ISO cranked up pretty high. Still no match of a good DSLR in terms of responsiveness under those same conditions. But a classy rig.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller
sbrener wrote:If you do get the camera, I highly recommend a vintage looking case like this (on which i often get compliments):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leather-Camera-Case-Bag-Cover-for-Pentax-MX-1-MX1-with-Strap-Three-Colors-/390639049479?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item5af3e6db07

Great suggestion!

krisrose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krisrose

This is a great deal! I've always been a big fan of Pentax. Here's an in depth review of the camera. Amazon and BestBuy have some good ones too, mostly from pro photographers.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-mx1/pentax-mx1A.HTM

Although I have to say, I think it's disappointing this site charged $5 for shipping on it. On this type of purchase, I expect free shipping.

sbrener

Here are some samples taken with this camera on Pentaxuser.co.uk

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/pentax-mx-1-44611

It really has a superior lens. The sensor is super performer for its size.

sbrener

I agree...but even with the $5, it is an amazing price for what you are getting.

krisrose wrote:This is a great deal! I've always been a big fan of Pentax. Here's an in depth review of the camera. Amazon and BestBuy have some good ones too, mostly from pro photographers.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-mx1/pentax-mx1A.HTM

Although I have to say, I think it's disappointing this site charged $5 for shipping on it. Anywhere else, it would've been free.

Vinyaernil

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Vinyaernil

I have an ancient Pentax SLR that my grandparents gave my dad for Christmas when he was in college. It's a great camera, but more than anything I love the way it feels in my hands when I'm shooting. If this is anything like that on the outside, I kind of want one even though I already have a DSLR that I use for everything...

There are no windows in my office. Top Secret Serious Business is top secret.

poochie098

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poochie098

Black Friday/Monday coming soon. Better deals for those who can wait.

grantkruger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grantkruger

This looks like a terrific camera for general use, in most ways the camera special I've been waiting to see on Woot. I always love to see a well-loved non-refurb camera come up. Sadly the surprisingly low 4X zoom is a deal-breaker for me as I take more pics outdoors than in and my current 4-year-old camera's 5X zoom never did the trick either.

Sala kahle,
Grant

stevenbradford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenbradford
grantkruger wrote:Sadly the surprisingly low 4X zoom is a deal-breaker for me as I take more pics outdoors than in and my current 4-year-old camera's 5X zoom never did the trick either.

Yes, this is a great all around camera, particularly for quick candid shots without flash indoors and at night. But for an f1.8 lens in a compact, you have to give up on a long zoom.

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion

If you like this camera, but not the 4x op zoom, you may want to look at the Pentax-Q. It is a bit more expensive, but allows you to mount different lenses and is about as compact as this is, plus can mount an external flash.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

oio

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oio

PentaxForums' review praises the lens, but is mixed about the MX-1's prosumer features. My take is that for P&S usages it's excellent. If you try to use it like a DSLR you may be disappointed.

Compared to the Q, the lens on the MX-1 is better. 1) It opens to f/1.8 and stays quite wide open even at full zoom. 2) the Q's prime lenses can open up similarly but they have no zoom. 3) interchangeable lenses are nice but they add cost, so for the casual P&S user the MX-1's lens is higher quality, especially factoring in moderate zoom capability.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-mx-1-review/conclusion.html

sbrener

With a 1/1.7" sensor it won't compete with a recent DSLR. But it is head and shoulders above a point and shoot and can be used in places where a traditional p&s would fail. ISO 400 images are clean, and even ISO 800 images aren't bad which would have not seemed possible a few years ago from a sensor this size. Image detail is a real strong point on this camera. But, the fast lens helps you keep the ISO down. Even the biggest downside, the sluggish RAW write speeds, can be addressed with a firmware update if enough users request it from Ricoh, who now owns Pentax.

oio wrote:PentaxForums' review praises the lens, but is mixed about the MX-1's prosumer features. My take is that for P&S usages it's excellent. If you try to use it like a DSLR you may be disappointed.

Compared to the Q, the lens on the MX-1 is better. 1) It opens to f/1.8 and stays quite wide open even at full zoom. 2) the Q's prime lenses can open up similarly but they have no zoom. 3) interchangeable lenses are nice but they add cost, so for the casual P&S user the MX-1's lens is higher quality, especially factoring in moderate zoom capability.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-mx-1-review/conclusion.html

daviangel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daviangel

Went ahead and got one but not before spending most of the day comparing it to other similar pro digicameras. Thing is this camera has exactly the features I was looking for whereas the other cameras were missing one or more of the areas I was looking for which were.

#1 f/1.8 wide aperture lens
#2 macro capability 3cm or less
#3 Raw support
#4 Very good maximum light sensitivity for low light conditions
#5 Long exposures of 30 sec at least for basic nighttime star photography and silky water scenes
#6 small enough to carry in coat pocket

all for under $300!

The Sony Cybershot DSC RX100 was the only one I found in the same class that can also do all this but it also cost 2x as much!http://snapsort.com/compare/Pentax-MX-1-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-RX100-II

This review I can across pretty much sealed the deal for me since it had the exact same pictures I plan on taking with this camera i.e. nighttime,city night lights, flowing water, etc!

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=5275&p=2

Only thing I wished it had that I would probably use or need is better zoom but then again you're probably better off going full DSLR with interchangeable lens.

rantng

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rantng

Here's a pretty good review - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-mx-1

And here's a look at some competitors - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Those of you who are interested in the state of digital photography and the challenges it offer may enjoy this Public Radio report:

http://wpr.org/shows/newsmakers-october-17-2013

There are no sales pitches or anything in this, just a discussion.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

hdlp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdlp

Does anyone know where these cameras were made? I searched and some said they were made in Indonesia, others said Vietnam... Thank you!

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

i cave in

but i do like the chrome trim better:

on the camera like this

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM

How would you compare this to the Samsung NX1000 ?

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

hdlp

I gave in and bought one. I need a P&S companion for my Canon Rebel XTi DSLR (yup, still have it!). I am sold on the style and the tilt screen. I've been a Canon and Nikon guy over the year, this is the first Pentax for me.

BTW, I just discover Paypal is no longer accepted on woot. My last purchase before this one was back in June. You can say the lack of $5 all-day shipping has kept me from buying here that many months. Now with Paypal option gotten rid of as well, it's hard to tell when my next impulse purchase is going to be. My 2c.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
hdlp wrote:BTW, I just discover Paypal is no longer accepted on woot. My last purchase before this one was back in June. You can say the lack of $5 all-day shipping has kept me from buying here that many months. Now with Paypal option gotten rid of as well, it's hard to tell when my next impulse purchase is going to be. My 2c.

These complaints make no sense to me. $5 shipping per order should be good enough for anyone. So called "free" shipping isn't free, it's included in the price of the item. At woot prices, $5 is still a great deal.
Why do you need to use Paypal? Paypal is for buying from people selling stuff on ebay or whatever. I don't think Woot is going to steal your credit card number.

hdlp

lorenzodemedici wrote:These complaints make no sense to me. $5 shipping per order should be good enough for anyone. So called "free" shipping isn't free, it's included in the price of the item. At woot prices, $5 is still a great deal.
Why do you need to use Paypal? Paypal is for buying from people selling stuff on ebay or whatever. I don't think Woot is going to steal your credit card number.

So which do you like better? 10 purchases on one day for $5 total shipping or $50 total shipping? And what's wrong with preferring Paypal to credit cards? I have both, but prefer the former.
Woot usually have good prices, but often is just slightly better than other vendors.