quality posts: 2870 Private Messages lichme

Item: Life + Gear 300 Lumen Flashlight 2-Pack
Price: $19.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

Meh, get one of these for $3.55 +free ship instead.
http://www.amazon.com/FordEx-Group-300lm-Flashlight-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3495 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn all about lifegear

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3495 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to learn more about life gear's battery recycling program

jay611j

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jay611j
stevesds wrote:Meh, get one of these for $3.55 +free ship instead.

Those lights aren't anywhere near 300 lumens with a regular AA battery. You have to buy a 14500 lithium battery and you'll get MAYBE 200 lumens out of it. I have two of them.

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

Well, I do like Life+Gear's stuff. Their lights and whatnot are in the rare 'cheap but very good' catagory.

Much like the chinese food place three blocks from my house.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

HomeThtrLA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HomeThtrLA

I HATE flashights that FORCE YOU to go through the flashing mode to turn them off. PLEASE STOP MAKING FLASHLIGHTS THIS WAY. I swear, someone must have invented ONE IC that does this and tons of flashlight manufacturers think it's cool. THEY ARE COMPLETELY WRONG.

SeeTheArt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeeTheArt

Two-fer Tuesday – yes!

erratum: quality posts: 3

CowBear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages CowBear
HomeThtrLA wrote:I HATE flashights that FORCE YOU to go through the flashing mode to turn them off. PLEASE STOP MAKING FLASHLIGHTS THIS WAY. I swear, someone must have invented ONE IC that does this and tons of flashlight manufacturers think it's cool. THEY ARE COMPLETELY WRONG.

LOL my brother just showed me his new flashlights from Costco that do the same thing. I was like, when is the strobe mode ever going to be useful?

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio

Or go to Target, where they have similar — albeit lower quality, I'm sure — flashlights in the dollar section this month. I bought a ton of them for stocking stuffers. They're surprisingly good!

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

300 lumens from a flashlight of this size is very bright. Add in the aluminum construction and the water resistance and you have a darn good item for ten bucks each. Obvious use for these would be to keep in the car for emergencies at night. Anyone who has had to walk down the shoulder of a road at night will appreciate the strobe feature. Drivers will ignore a regular light and run you down like a dog, but a flashing light they notice. Must be the association of flashing lights and police.

rbarger

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rbarger

Just purchased 2. I have purchased a TON of these types of flash lights and keep one in my tac pocket on my BDUs as a backup. I also gave one to all of my squad I work with. They all love them. These are nice lights, BUT, they do not have momentary on, so if you dropped it on, it will stay on vs. a real tac light usually has a setting where you can press lightly to turn on and when you drop it (if) it will turn off. In any case, the light SteveDS is posting from Amazon is a solid deal and as it ends up one of the best prices I've seen on that model.

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka

Not at all the same. I own a couple of those lights, and they are very fine, very bright lights. But they are not waterproof or water resistant no matter what the ad copy says. A great buy to be sure, but completely different, and, as I said, not water resistant.

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka
jay611j wrote:Those lights aren't anywhere near 300 lumens with a regular AA battery. You have to buy a 14500 lithium battery and you'll get MAYBE 200 lumens out of it. I have two of them.

Right you are! Lithium ion 14500 battery, plus a LiIon capable charger. With a 14500 cell, I think mine are easily 200 lumens+.

BTW, I seriously, seriously doubt that the LifeGear light on sale here tonight puts out anywhere close to 300 lumens either.

johnvassel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnvassel

Strobe is a great function, blasting an intruder with the strobe function in the middle of the night can buy you some time. Me, I love the function, and a little strobe capable light like this resides next to my firearms. That 4 dollar light listed does not strobe.

Woots so far
  • 3 B*O*C's
  • 2 Leak Frogs
  • 3 Screaming monkeys v2 (green)
  • bunch of other stuff that I just bought while waiting for these listed items

creationation

quality posts: 0 Private Messages creationation
CowBear wrote:LOL my brother just showed me his new flashlights from Costco that do the same thing. I was like, when is the strobe mode ever going to be useful?

You gotta get the military flashlights. They don't strobe, its either on or you half press the button for 1 single short burst

A good life lived is one live to it's fullest.

hondaman88

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hondaman88

Way over priced. I sell complete flashlight kits with 2 batteries (18650), SINGLE mode XM-L T6 Cree LED, and charger for $35. I would consider these at half this price with free shipping. And most flashlights are overrated on their lumen output.

rsnider19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsnider19

Anyone know if these are capable of being used as diving flashlights? I've been looking for a couple backups the past week.

first2summit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages first2summit
rsnider19 wrote:Anyone know if these are capable of being used as diving flashlights? I've been looking for a couple backups the past week.

No, an IPX4 rating is basically splash resistant. The testing is " at least 5 minutes at water pressure of 80–100 kN/m^2. Basically, this can handle being rained on, but if you drop it in a stream or overboard, there’s a good chance your gear won’t be working for a while, if ever."

jeffiekins

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jeffiekins

As mentioned already, most Lumen claims are wildly inflated. They usually say something like "300 Lumen LED," and when you look, the LED is rated for 300 lumens, but at 5 volts, while the light in question runs it at 1.5 or 3 or 4.5 volts, which necessarily produce far less light.

Some high-end flashlights do have voltage converters, so they can run at a higher voltage with a single AA, but that's not so common at or near this price point.

So, does anyone know how many lumens this thing actually puts out? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

3AAA = NO DEAL
Rechargeable Li-ion like 14500 or 18650 is the only way to go.

mrdancer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrdancer

For those of you truly interested in good flashlights, I recommend spending some time on www.candlepowerforums.com. You will eventually learn what makes a good flashlight (lumen output is WAY down on the list!). Reliability is probably the most important factor, and is determined by things like good heatsinking, quality connections, square threads, etc. It is relatively easy to build a high-output flashlight cheaply, not-so-easy to build a reliable flashlight.

It would be much nicer if the low setting on these flashlights was closer to 20 lumens, which is all the light you would probably need for 95% of your needs. Many flashlight experts prefer even much lower outputs (less than 1 lumen), as it helps preserve your night vision.

Me? I like Zebralights and Fenix lights. YMMV

opps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opps
mrdancer wrote:For those of you truly interested in good flashlights, I recommend spending some time on www.candlepowerforums.com. You will eventually learn what makes a good flashlight (lumen output is WAY down on the list!). Reliability is probably the most important factor, and is determined by things like good heatsinking, quality connections, square threads, etc. It is relatively easy to build a high-output flashlight cheaply, not-so-easy to build a reliable flashlight.

YEP YOU ARE CORRECT!

I have owned several of the Life Gear flashlights (the one AA battery model) and the switch on ALL of them eventually stops working. I think the $3.55 flashlight is a much better deal, but its switch will wear out too but at least you’re only out $3.55.

Not a good thing to backpack 7 miles into the wilderness and then find out your flashlight will just randomly flicker.

A few years ago I went into Target and purchased a lot of nice crafted metal flashlights (which included Life Gear) and one cheap Energizer plastic flashlight with a mechanical slide switch. The Energizer had by far the lowest lumens, cheapest LED (not a Cree) and by far the most inexpensive feel to it. Here it is years later and all the others are long since trashed, yet the cheap plastic Energizer still works perfectly.

ryanjames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanjames

I never knew there was such a thing as flashlight snobbery. This thread taught me something new.

Natecary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Natecary

I have 2 Lifegear flashlights, not the same model, but smaller and purchased from Safeway for $5. Initial quality looks good, much better then the really cheap ones you get from HF, etc. But it didn't take long for one to start flickering, and turn it self on just being jostled around. Its pretty much unusable, but the other one works great.

dersquisher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dersquisher
ryanjames wrote:I never knew there was such a thing as flashlight snobbery. This thread taught me something new.

Eh, I'll just quote:

opps wrote:Not a good thing to backpack 7 miles into the wilderness and then find out your flashlight will just randomly flicker.

It doesn't matter for everyone, but it is a real and important concern for some people.

shimey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey
ryanjames wrote:I never knew there was such a thing as flashlight snobbery. This thread taught me something new.

You didn't know? Psssh. Luddite.

da11as

quality posts: 0 Private Messages da11as

I love a good flashlight, but this is not a Woot-worthy deal. I've been buying the aluminum-body Cree 7W 300LM 3-mode (low/high/strobe) LED flashlights from Amazon. For three bucks - shipped - the value is incredible. They'd be perfect if the lens was glass, but for three bucks, it's a stellar deal.

da11as

quality posts: 0 Private Messages da11as

Like many items on Amazon, this item is branded multiple ways and available from tons of sellers. I have ten more coming my way...it's an awesome light for the money. I imagine there will be eye-rolling on Christmas as people open their gifts from me... "oh, thanks! A flashlight *eyeroll*"

sawta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sawta
CowBear wrote:I was like, when is the strobe mode ever going to be useful?

To be fair, if you ever get stuck on the side of the interstate and happen to have two flash lights, you can use one to see what you're doing and put down the other one somewhere close so passing cars wont hit you.

It's also a good attention getter if you are separated from someone else by a vast distance (say, you split up while hunting for some stupid reason, and there's a big valley in between you and the other person) and want them to figure out your general location. As long as it's pointed close to the right direction, they should be able to see it.

dachsiedor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dachsiedor

Just rec'd my Life Gear flashlights. How do I get a battery into the white plastic case that holds it? What kind of bulb do I buy?
Shouldn't these flashlights at least come with the lightbulb?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dachsiedor wrote:Just rec'd my Life Gear flashlights. How do I get a battery into the white plastic case that holds it? What kind of bulb do I buy?
Shouldn't these flashlights at least come with the lightbulb?

Yes, it should come with a bulb.

Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zorothan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zorothan

TOUGH LITTLE BUGGERS! So i drive semis and a may have set a loaded trailer on one of thease lights yesterday. Ok it was not fully on the light but it had a few thousend pounds on it. Any how it some how came away nearly undamaged. A smlight bend and a few scuff marks are all it suffered. I did the same thing to a mini mag and it was trash. So if you need a tough light this is one to get.