quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Take a look at some reviews from Overstock and Amazon

Find out more Direct from Anolon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3150 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at wayfair.com

kingoflos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kingoflos

I've had this set for about 2 years. Really really good pans and a great starter if you've never used stainless steel pans before.

willyone

quality posts: 25 Private Messages willyone

For anyone not familiar with gourmet cooking & cookware, tri-ply clad is the ultimate in cookware. I bought a set a few years back recommended as a "best buy" by Cook's Illustrated magazine and can attest to the difference tri-ply clad (aluminum layer sandwiched between stainless steel layers) makes to the cooking process. Oft times you will see ads for pans with 'encapsulated' discs of the tri-clad layering on the bottom of a pan but, believe me, pans that offer this layering throughout, both bottom and sides, are superior. You will have to get used to cooking with lower heat settings while reducing cooking times due to the superior heat distribution added by the layering going up the sides. Both benefits improve results while saving energy.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3150 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I have many Analon products and really enjoy them. They have a nice weight to them and cook very evenly.

Here is some info about the warranty

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Any comparisons to the Cuisinart and Kirkland Signature sets sold at Costco, as well as the Tramontina set at Walmart?

skakebite

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skakebite
Nate650 wrote:Any comparisons to the Cuisinart and Kirkland Signature sets sold at Costco, as well as the Tramontina set at Walmart?

The Kirkland is only clad on the bottom.

alextse

quality posts: 23 Private Messages alextse

I've been thinking of switching everything over to enameled cast iron due to the superior heat dissipation, browning, and easy clean-up. But damn those cast iron are heavy! Wondering how the stainless steel in this collection cleans? Oftentimes it's a real pain.

mabehr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mabehr

Anyone know if these work on induction stove tops?

illby1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illby1
mabehr wrote:Anyone know if these work on induction stove tops?

From the product description.....
•Stovetop Suitable: Induction, Gas, Solid Plate, Radiant Ring, Glass/Ceramic and Halogen

photobobk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages photobobk
alextse wrote:I've been thinking of switching everything over to enameled cast iron due to the superior heat dissipation, browning, and easy clean-up. But damn those cast iron are heavy! Wondering how the stainless steel in this collection cleans? Oftentimes it's a real pain.

Once you get the hang of cooking with clad SS cookware and learn to control your heat, cleanup is easy. Except for eggs, where I use a dedicated non-stick pan, I cook everything in my stainless cookware, including rice and even oatmeal. Warm soapy water does the job. (I hand wash cookware just to save the real estate in my dishwasher) For those rare times when I do have a sticky, crusty mess, I simply fill the pan with hot water with some good d/w detergent and let it soak for an hour or so. That loosens it up enough to wash normally.

Stainless steel will sometimes discolor from cooking. Harmless, but a quick cleaning using Bar Keeper's Friend will remove that easily.

There are a few things I like to cook in my enameled cast iron pieces. I think the stainless is easier to clean. Just my opinion...

photobobk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages photobobk
Nate650 wrote:Any comparisons to the Cuisinart and Kirkland Signature sets sold at Costco, as well as the Tramontina set at Walmart?

I built my cookware collection with All Clad and Tramontina tri-ply pieces I purchased one at a time from T J Maxx. To be honest, I cannot tell the difference between the two, both in appearance and performance. Tramontina makes excellent cookware that is highly rated in the cooking circles I'm familiar with. I'm not personally familiar with the lines sold at WalMart, but I wouldn't hesitate to to buy a set of Tramontina there, if it was tri-ply, clad cookware.

rt2dz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rt2dz

All Clad is the ultimate in cookware. Seriously. I know quite a few professional chefs and its what they use. It can't be beat.

If you are not using the All-Clad brand, Anolon is the way to go. Much better than the Calaphalon pans i replaced. I have had these pans for quite some time and I love them. If you half way care for them, they will last years and years. And it's easy care. Cheap brands like Cuisinart can't hold a candle.

Do note, Analon is selling this set for $350 on their website, so it is not as big of a deal as Woot wants you to believe. Analon also has a try clad 12 piece et for $399. Just an FYI

grandladylu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grandladylu
photobobk wrote:Once you get the hang of cooking with clad SS cookware and learn to control your heat, cleanup is easy. Except for eggs, where I use a dedicated non-stick pan, I cook everything in my stainless cookware, including rice and even oatmeal. Warm soapy water does the job. (I hand wash cookware just to save the real estate in my dishwasher) For those rare times when I do have a sticky, crusty mess, I simply fill the pan with hot water with some good d/w detergent and let it soak for an hour or so. That loosens it up enough to wash normally.

Stainless steel will sometimes discolor from cooking. Harmless, but a quick cleaning using Bar Keeper's Friend will remove that easily.

There are a few things I like to cook in my enameled cast iron pieces. I think the stainless is easier to clean. Just my opinion...

Let it soak in water with a sheet of BOUNCE. !

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Can anyone tell me if the lids from the pots fit the fry pans?

The $130 set of K-A I just got from woot are an epic fail in that regard. Should have asked then...

You've been put on posting probation for this post

gbbgun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gbbgun

Let it soak in water with a sheet of BOUNCE. !

A sheet of Bounce? That doesn't seem cost effective vs. a few drops of dishwashing soap. Also I would be afraid it would taint my food with fabric softening chemicals (not that soap is not a chemical, but Bounce is a whole different animal)

btln701

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btln701

Does anyone know what grade of SS these are? 18/10? 18/0? Tried to check the manufacturer's website but says it is down for maintenance..

Pufferfishy

gbbgun wrote:Let it soak in water with a sheet of BOUNCE. !

A sheet of Bounce? That doesn't seem cost effective vs. a few drops of dishwashing soap. Also I would be afraid it would taint my food with fabric softening chemicals (not that soap is not a chemical, but Bounce is a whole different animal)

Fabric softener, hair conditioner, Axe body wash - all it is is a surfactant. There's likely no benefit of one over the other - except cost.

"Use a sheet of Bounce!" said the guy from Procter & Gamble....

willyone

I commented earlier about having bought a set a few years ago deemed a "best buy" by Cook's Illustrated magazine, that was Tramontina, available in individual pieces and sets at Walmart and other retailers. I bought a 10 pc. set of Tramontina from Walmart at the time for $187. They compared it to the (much) more expensive All Clad brand and found there to be no difference in performance, thus the "best buy" rating. The major issue with tri-clad cookware is the way the layers are bonded together. It's difficult to keep the plys together where a transition/bend occurs, such as the bend where the bottom transitions to the side. Most manufacturers have a gap or airspace in these locations which stops the heat from properly moving up the sides. The cutaway views that Cook's Illustrated showed of the bonding in the bends of both the All Clad and Tramontina pieces showed there to be no difference.

Whenever the stn stl shows the 'rainbow' look, using Bar Keeper's Friend, as someone mentioned earlier, will quickly and easily make the pan look like you just took it out of the box. I bought a can years ago for $1.25 and still have years worth of it left. It doesn't take much at all to do the job.

Tip for new users: Adding salt to a stn stl pan before heating will cause the surface to pit. Only add your salt after the pan is heated to avoid this issue.

shellydilbeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellydilbeck
alextse wrote:I've been thinking of switching everything over to enameled cast iron due to the superior heat dissipation, browning, and easy clean-up. But damn those cast iron are heavy! Wondering how the stainless steel in this collection cleans? Oftentimes it's a real pain.

Barkeeper's Friend works great on stainless steel. Keeps it looking new, with minimal scrubbing.

bluesforsalvador

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesforsalvador
btln701 wrote:Does anyone know what grade of SS these are? 18/10? 18/0? Tried to check the manufacturer's website but says it is down for maintenance..

I'd like to know this too.

illegible

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illegible

I just got the Emeril Pro-Clad set (though I've been using an 8" Emeril pro-clad for a few years) and I'm pretty happy with it (it's still on sale, hint hint) But of course i'm always about finding a good deal, so here's my pros and cons list in comparison to this item:

• Both are tri-ply clad, definitely the way to go for SS
  • This set has metal lids, usually a good thing as the glass lids are limited to about 350 degrees... of course i'd rarely put it in the oven anything above that anyway especially since I have a cast iron dutch oven. The point is moot however since it seems like this set has silicone handles which probably can't handle the heat (hence the 400 degree rating)
  • Of course the Silicone handles themselves are an issue. I can't imagine it's too good for the long term nature of the pieces seems like it would age long before the SS did. I'm sure they would make lifting the lids a bit easier though, the handles on my (all metal) set will get hot enough to require hot pads in fairly short order.
  • I think the black band around the edge looks pretty chic, but i think in the long run it would probably look dated... the solid SS you get in other sets would probably be less prone to this. Assuming it's painted (I'm really not sure how it's put on) it would probably get bashed up in short order as well.

Regardless of which set you get, if you're new to SS pans, recognize there is a learning curve, do some searches on the web on how to cook with SS (there are lots of them) and you're life will be a lot easier.

willyone

See my earlier post re: Tramontina

werebor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages werebor

Just chatted with Anolon support.
"All of our cookware that is stainless steel is 18/0"

billthegunowner

quality posts: 12 Private Messages billthegunowner

They mention the outside is non-stick, but what about the inside where it counts? These look identical to the Kitchen Aid set I bought from Woot, and those have non-stick insides and cost half the price. I love 'em!

Bill

satyenshah

quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah

To make stainless pots shine like new, boil a pinch of sodium tripolyphosphate in a pot full of water. Let stand overnight. Warm, drain, and scrub the next day.

McGurk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk
werebor wrote:Just chatted with Anolon support.

That is because they are designed to be used on induction cooktops. If they were 18/8 or 18/10, they would not work with that type of cooktop. I'm in for a set as the house we moved into has an induction cooktop, and it's cheaper to get new pans than a new oven and stove (as much as I'd like to convert to gas).

Easy way to determine the grade of SS is to look up what types of burners/cooktops it works on:
Induction plus all others = 18/0
Not for Induction cooktops = 18/8 or 18/10 (more than likely)

hughn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hughn
grandladylu wrote:Let it soak in water with a sheet of BOUNCE. !

Thanks! We'll try that!

bomb0072000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bomb0072000

What is the return policy if we don't like them?

hughn

werebor wrote:Just chatted with Anolon support.

The newest Kirkland we just got at Costco is 18/10. Instead of Made in China, it states
Made in Thailand.

Also, the new one has a copper core encapsulated in a total of 5 layers (aluminum and stainless steel).

We just upgraded to a Series 800 Bosch inductive cooktop and unlike the Tremontina from Walmart, it doesn't make any noise when cooking on high heat. We are very satisfied so far. Costco has the best return policy, just in case.

hughn

McGurk wrote:That is because they are designed to be used on induction cooktops. If they were 18/8 or 18/10, they would not work with that type of cooktop. I'm in for a set as the house we moved into has an induction cooktop, and it's cheaper to get new pans than a new oven and stove (as much as I'd like to convert to gas).

Easy way to determine the grade of SS is to look up what types of burners/cooktops it works on:
Induction plus all others = 18/0
Not for Induction cooktops = 18/8 or 18/10 (more than likely)

18/10 Kirkland we just got was designed to work with induction cooktops.
Unlike the Tremontina we tried, the Kirkland is silent, no pops and whistles at high temps.
So far it's working great in conjunction with our new 800 Series Bosch induction cooktop.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bomb0072000 wrote:What is the return policy if we don't like them?

The Woot FAQ covers that pretty well.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Pufferfishy

hughn wrote:18/10 Kirkland we just got was designed to work with induction cooktops.
Unlike the Tremontina we tried, the Kirkland is silent, no pops and whistles at high temps.
So far it's working great in conjunction with our new 800 Series Bosch induction cooktop.

Off topic - but I HATE my cooktop. I have a feeling it's because it's really old, and it was likely the cheapest one available when it was purchased (it was in the house when I moved in)

Are new induction cooktops actually decent? Has anyone made the switch from gas to induction and doesn't find it impossible to cook?

Mine seems to have 2 settings - cold, and the heat of a thousand suns. I'm really wondering if I should get a new one.....

willyone

Just some info. I thought might be helpful to readers of this post.

To tell if a pot or pan is induction-compatible, hold a magnet to the bottom. If it clings, the cookware will work on an induction cooktop. Also, many manufacturers have started putting a n "induction compatible" symbol on the bottom of their cookware or they'll note compatibility on their packaging. The symbol often looks like a horizontal zig-zag or a coil.

FYI re: All-Clad's cookware. Their MC2 line of cookware is not induction compatible, however their other lines use 18/10 stn on the inside and 18/0 magnetizable stn stl on the outside to make them induction compatible.

willyone

Pufferfishy wrote:Off topic - but I HATE my cooktop. I have a feeling it's because it's really old, and it was likely the cheapest one available when it was purchased (it was in the house when I moved in)

Are new induction cooktops actually decent? Has anyone made the switch from gas to induction and doesn't find it impossible to cook?

Mine seems to have 2 settings - cold, and the heat of a thousand suns. I'm really wondering if I should get a new one.....

Just wondering why anyone would want to change from gas to anything else. As you surmise, I am a gas enthusiast/purist so I hope you'll forgive me. Don't apologize Willy! ...OK I won't. I guess I don't see the benefits offered by induction (only heats the food, cool to the touch 'burners', etc.) outweighing the instant controllability of gas. My ability to control cooking by visually judging the immediate reactions in the pan to a change in flame setting as well as the information garnered from viewing flame height directly is, well, satisfying. Not to mention how good the food tastes. I thought you weren't going to mention it! Oh, sorry. There you go again apologizing. Sorry. UGH!

Certainly don't mean to offend anyone who feels differently.

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
bomb0072000 wrote:What is the return policy if we don't like them?

Craigslist

Pufferfishy

willyone wrote:Just wondering why anyone would want to change from gas to anything else. As you surmise, I am a gas enthusiast/purist so I hope you'll forgive me. Don't apologize Willy! ...OK I won't. I guess I don't see the benefits offered by induction (only heats the food, cool to the touch 'burners', etc.) outweighing the instant controllability of gas. My ability to control cooking by visually judging the immediate reactions in the pan to a change in flame setting as well as the information garnered from viewing flame height directly is, well, satisfying. Not to mention how good the food tastes. I thought you weren't going to mention it! Oh, sorry. There you go again apologizing. Sorry. UGH!

Certainly don't mean to offend anyone who feels differently.

Gas is not an option in many parts of FL