WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What's your favorite kind of tourist activity?
  • 15.7% - Visiting museums 275
  • 4.8% - Looking out from tall building observation decks 84
  • 8.5% - Shopping 150
  • 31.7% - Dining / Drinking 557
  • 13.8% - Going on tours 242
  • 11.6% - Taking pictures in front of landmarks 204
  • 8.9% - Complaining 157
  • 5% - Something else that you'll tell us about in the comments 87
1756 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

jfenchel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfenchel

seeing the nature

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

Camping outside

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

Anything adventure-y. Just got back from the Dominican Republic where we went on a waterfall jump. Awesome.

I don't go to museums or tours because I can be bored at home for free.

liamlink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liamlink

Arguing with the socially anxious girlfriend.
Ah… good times

BunnySMG

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BunnySMG
trixierix wrote:Anything adventure-y. Just got back from the Dominican Republic where we went on a waterfall jump. Awesome.

I don't go to museums or tours because I can be bored at home for free.

What Trix said. I like finding places to throw myself from. Cliffs, bridges, rope swings you name it, I'll jump off of it. Well, as long as there's enough water below it to prevent death.

pigsnfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pigsnfish

Camping.

jomarch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomarch

People watching & seeing different building/architecture styles.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3284 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

The best part for me is staying in nice hotels and being treated like a king. For the majority of the year I am pretty cheap with everything but on vacation I always stay at a nice hotel and get room service.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Depends where I am. I love botanical gardens. Some zoos. And ART museums. Tasting the local foods. And...if I'm in an entirely different place, I love going to the neighborhood (non-chain) grocery stores.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

manzanasbananas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages manzanasbananas
fuzzypeaches wrote:Depends where I am. I love botanical gardens. Some zoos. And ART museums. Tasting the local foods. And...if I'm in an entirely different place, I love going to the neighborhood (non-chain) grocery stores.

What kind of entirely different place?

nlevake

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nlevake

Most of our vacations involve the beach. Hiking, exploring state or national parks or forests. Looking for reptiles. Zoos or aquariums.

sweett23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweett23

Trying to convince teenage daughters that they are having fun then by wishing we left them at home.
My second favorite activity is complaining about the slope of the hiking trails ... my husband has lots of pictures in front of landmarks to prove it.

wlroes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wlroes

the wife doesn't like tours, too touristy, but you do learn a lot about an area that way, and then your individual explorations can be more efficient. Better to say she is prejudiced against them, but likes every one we have been on.

mytdawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mytdawg

Tourist activity? Like paying money to be shaken down by security theater instead of making a house payment? Nice work if you can get it. At this point I'm lucky to even have employment in this part of the country, going to other places just isn't in the cards. Visa or otherwise.

kbdemers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbdemers

Camping, Nature, Fresh Air!

julierizzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages julierizzo

Meeting locals and finding the best kept secrets.

CHEEZEMAN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CHEEZEMAN

GOING TO THE BEACH & JUST RELAXING ON THE SAND IN THE NICE WARM SUN. LISTENING TO THE OCEAN WAVES,SMELLING THE SALTY AIR.

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

Amusement parks!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Hiking, climbing, spelunking, zip-lining. I can do indoorsy stuff at home.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

The adventure.

J9Bastas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages J9Bastas

ZOOS and AQUARIUMS

yoshibuddha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yoshibuddha
liamlink wrote:Arguing with the socially anxious girlfriend.
Ah… good times

Quick! Marry her!! It will improve her and your relationship, seriously!

.................ok, not seriously.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

I am sort of surprised that dining/drinking is the #1 vote getter.

Then again my wife and I once went on a trip to New Orleans with her brother and sister and their spouses, and they wanted to eat at TGI Friday's and Applebee's, so my social circle has probably skewed my thinking.

lozerette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lozerette
HomerTime wrote:I am sort of surprised that dining/drinking is the #1 vote getter.

Then again my wife and I once went on a trip to New Orleans with her brother and sister and their spouses, and they wanted to eat at TGI Friday's and Applebee's, so my social circle has probably skewed my thinking.

My husband and I have a standing rule when on vacation: If we can get it at home, we don't eat there on vacation.

There's too much great food out there to waste time on the same thing as always. ;)

AWildWeed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AWildWeed
lozerette wrote:My husband and I have a standing rule when on vacation: If we can get it at home, we don't eat there on vacation.

There's too much great food out there to waste time on the same thing as always. ;)

+1

Also... I wish woot hadn't put dining and drinking together like that. While I rarely drink, I do like to try local food when I'm on vacation. I won't say we never eat at a chain, but I do try to avoid those.

basileuspsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basileuspsu

Sleeping in, sleeping on the beach, sleeping by the pool....you get the idea

MsChis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MsChis

Geocaching.

juanaguilera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juanaguilera

Nature Trails, Hiking, kayaking, etc etc.

wmessing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wmessing

Visiting National Parks

dturner857

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dturner857

Walking and watching.

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus
juanaguilera wrote:Nature Trails, Hiking, kayaking, etc etc.

+1

Anything outdoorsy.

Even our kids enjoyed digging for diamonds in Arkansas last summer & boating/tubing etc with cousins out on a lake.

pennycandy17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennycandy17

It's all about relaxing on the beach and taking photographs of everything around me.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Golfing or gambling.

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

Finding an off the beaten path spot to visit.

mbbaird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbbaird

Scuba Diving!!!

soozenw

quality posts: 7 Private Messages soozenw

Beach! We travel with our 2 small boys, so anywhere with the beach at this age is touristy enough for us. We don't like too many typical tourist activities.

And I agree with those saying they try to eat regional cuisine when on vacation. Although, we were sorely disappointed with the seafood in Myrtle Beach when we went this year.

johnsalterego

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnsalterego

Hunting critters with a Camera mostly...hurrah for getting out of the city!

fuzzypeaches

manzanasbananas wrote:What kind of entirely different place?

I'm originally from NC. When I go to New York, I love to visit the neighborhood markets because they are a lot different than the places that were in NC. For example: Tops grocery store in Brooklyn. I went to Sweden once time & the grocery stores were interesting to me.

fuzzypeaches

soozenw wrote:Beach! We travel with our 2 small boys, so anywhere with the beach at this age is touristy enough for us. We don't like too many typical tourist activities.

And I agree with those saying they try to eat regional cuisine when on vacation. Although, we were sorely disappointed with the seafood in Myrtle Beach when we went this year.

If you ever go to Myrtle Beach again & want seafood....go north towards Longs, to BIG E's! Hole in the wall place where the locals eat. I can only remember it's on Highway 9 & on the left. About a 20 to 30 minute drive (maybe less) from MB.