Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Item: Pyle Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
8/21/2013 - $39.99 - 43 comment(s)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

mm20

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mm20

For that time when you want to blast the fish with some death metal, there is the Pyle Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Some additional info can be found over at pyleaudio.com

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

neovenator

quality posts: 9 Private Messages neovenator

Description says waterproof, but the video says it's only splashproof. Which is it?

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

I got one of these in my last Brimstone or Curses and I'm pretty impressed with it. The audio quality is much better than the one on the iPad and even has a decent amount of bass for a relatively small speaker. My only small complaint about it is that sometimes I accidentally change the track instead of the volume since the same button does multiple things depending on how long you press.

msanfilippo1220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msanfilippo1220
neovenator wrote:Description says waterproof, but the video says it's only splashproof. Which is it?

I bought one last time they were on here. It works great. during the summer I had it out on my Jetski and it handle the shock and bouncing just fine. it also got wet and had no problems. now I have it in my shower where it gets soaked everyday and it still works great. I actually haven't charged it since august and I use it in the shower every day (about 10 minutes minimum)

kolme

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kolme
neovenator wrote:Description says waterproof, but the video says it's only splashproof. Which is it?

This is the difference between me showering in a mixture of water and sound and me showering in tears over a newly broken speakers.

jordmorton1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jordmorton1
msanfilippo1220 wrote:

The video above says it isn't waterproof, just splash/spill proof.

crazyjake05

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crazyjake05
elangomatt wrote:I got one of these in my last Brimstone or Curses and I'm pretty impressed with it. The audio quality is much better than the one on the iPad and even has a decent amount of bass for a relatively small speaker. My only small complaint about it is that sometimes I accidentally change the track instead of the volume since the same button does multiple things depending on how long you press.

I was definitely wondering about the bass. With a freq response down to only 60hz, I am kinda worried.

Try the clean, easy to use, multi-site tracker with sound notifications. Super fast load times, beautiful interface, and fully customizable content.

Simple Woot Watcher

theLiz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theLiz

Love this speaker. It hangs permanently in my shower and is used daily. Decent sound and good battery life (recharge about once every two weeks, average 2 hours/day). Range isn't that great in my experience, but that isn't a big deal for me since my phone is usually stationary on the bathroom counter. Appreciate the dedicated skip fwd/backward buttons.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3903 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this review over at audioraw.com and ilounge.com

richnardone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages richnardone

I agree with the above comments. sounds great at moderate volume. battery life is very good. would appreciate separate buttons for volume and next track. seems that many of these inexpensive bluetooth speakers use the same bluetooth module. (i have 2 others that function the same way)

jdpman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jdpman

Yeah I'm not sure how sound would get through very well if it was completely waterproof. Clearly it's only splashproof. I would think completely waterproof speakers would be an impossibility.

Also the pyleaudio.com product website linked above confirms it's only splashproof.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
crazyjake05 wrote:I was definitely wondering about the bass. With a freq response down to only 60hz, I am kinda worried.

Well I'm no audiophile but it is definitely better bass than the built in iPad 2 speaker, but that isn't saying much of course.

slcTY

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slcTY

I bought this speaker and it was very meh. I also have an Axion BT speaker that is $29 on Amazon which sounds much better and a Soundfreaq Sound Kick that I got on sale at Target for $79 which sounds much much better. Granted, neither of these are splash or waterproof, but the sound is what's important to me. My go-to waterproof speaker is a Grace Digital Eco Extreme which is actually a case with a built in speaker. It's great because it also keeps your phone dry, but you lose access to the controls so random playback or play lists are what you're stuck with. Anyway, this speaker is okay, but there are much better options to spend your money on.

jupitercow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupitercow

I have been using this speaker for months. I REALLY love it. Sounds pretty great

It has been dropped in a bathtub full of water, fully submerged, with zero incident. I am not sure if you should hold under water for long periods of time, or why you would want to, but we use it in the shower all the time.

willyone

quality posts: 28 Private Messages willyone

I did some reading about this cool looking speaker and this is my synopsis. Numerous reviews including ilounge, Amazon and others indicate the con's as: Bluetooth distance less than advertised, audio distortion at high volume (though most seemed to feel the audio quality, incl.bass, was good at less than max volume), poor quality buttons that didn't fit well into the cutouts for them - and they often accidentally changed/skipped tracks because some buttons perform different functions based on length of press and they would inadvertently press too long, and many who decided to do a quick 'dunk' test but quickly wished they had not. However most felt that it was a good value if it could be purchased at a reasonably low price, like $39.99.

kevlowe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kevlowe

Yeah, this definitely isn't the best speaker, and I just can't recommend it. The range isn't very good (I get popping even at >5 feet). The speakers also can't handle highs/lows very well at all, tones get merged together, and overall quality is subpar.

It is waterproof though (although I can't find any documentation about how good it is), and for the most part it does work well in a shower setting.

ianoid

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ianoid

Actually I like the speaker and I think it's a good deal.

I got orange, which is quite bright and looks like it was spray painted, but the paint doesn't rub off easily. I.e. it's sort of cheap looking.

The sound is good, not great, but then how good are you expecting from a tiny little box?. It's comparable to my other bluetooth speakers.

The battery life is better than the Logitech and JVC bluetooth boxes I have.

And it's water resistant. I use it in the shower.

At full price, it's probably not worthwhile, but at the Woot price, it's a fine deal.

phishneslo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages phishneslo
theLiz wrote:Love this speaker. It hangs permanently in my shower and is used daily. Decent sound and good battery life (recharge about once every two weeks, average 2 hours/day).

Wow. I thought my wife takes long showers...

darkjestergod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkjestergod

Sound is blah with low expectations and and went belly up within a week. Discected to find poorly made.

str8juice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages str8juice

Mine sucks too. Sound quality is meh, battery life is trash.

obsidian11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages obsidian11

Got one last go around @ WOOT for same price...worked for a bit, now is stuck on 'paired' setting (according to Pyles guide to beeps...)Can't do any type of re-set as far as I know...any help? OK sound, rugged build, no aux in though...

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123

The description here says "Dedicated Stereo speakers for Lows and High/Mids on both sides." That describes a 2-way speaker (woofer/tweeter). If you look at the manufacturer's description and the manual (both here ), they say "full-ranged stereo speakers" and "1‐way".

It's also interesting that despite being marketed as a "Marine-Grade IP-X4 splash proof & shock resistant design," the manual has these statements: "IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS...To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this apparatus to rain or moisture...Do not keep the apparatus in a high humidity area such as a bathroom, kitchen sink or pool...The apparatus should not be exposed to dripping or splashing..." Uh, what?

paulburnett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulburnett

The Bluetooth connection works - pushing the "change track" and volume control on the speaker works - but the sound comes from the iPhone! So all I've got is a huge remote for my iPhone. And there's no cable connection like my Jawbone Jambox, so I can't use it with the laptop. It makes a good-looking doorstop.

jillrq12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jillrq12
obsidian11 wrote:Got one last go around @ WOOT for same price...worked for a bit, now is stuck on 'paired' setting (according to Pyles guide to beeps...)Can't do any type of re-set as far as I know...any help? OK sound, rugged build, no aux in though...

I have the exact same problem. It worked great for about a month, then has been stuck trying to pair, but won't link. Problem would be solved if it had an aux in port.

As for all the other problems, true, it does sound bad at high and low, but use it in midrange and it's fine. NO, it is not waterproof, just resistant. And YES, the range of signal is horrible, about 10 feet is the max you can have your phone away from the speaker, but that was good enough for me. Just wish mine worked.

tmil0911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmil0911

When I ordered this, I imagined it larger than it is. The sound follows the size. Not enough volume and minimal base. Really quality speaker, but for on a deck or boat, don't expect much.

hatawa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hatawa

Is there any way to run two of these at the same time for an increase of area covered?

cclarkeny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cclarkeny

Got one last go-around and was not that impressed. It is meaty, but performance disappoints (low volume capacity, unexpected track changing). Best thing it has going is that it has some ability to resist moisture, I guess. Many better options for $40. Bassboomz on Groupon Goods for $30 is an excellent buy.
One man's opinion.

GlobalT38

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GlobalT38

What I want to know is what were they trying to advertise with this picture!?

The preposterous notion that it's loud enough to be heard on an industrial site, while welding, and wearing ear protection!??

beachbumli247

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beachbumli247
GlobalT38 wrote:What I want to know is what were they trying to advertise with this picture!?

The preposterous notion that it's loud enough to be heard on an industrial site, while welding, and wearing ear protection!??

Actually, you'd have a better chance of hearing it while welding. Based on the sparks flying, it appears he's using some sort of grinder, which there is no chance in hell he's hearing any sort of music playing.

hagirl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hagirl

Got one and used it on river floats this summer. The hope was that it would be loud enough to be heard by everyone floating together but it didn't really travel far past the canoe it was in. Still it was great just for that alone considering the price...

beee240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beee240
GlobalT38 wrote:What I want to know is what were they trying to advertise with this picture!?

I'm guessing that he's cutting it into little pieces.

coldfyre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coldfyre
hagirl wrote:Got one and used it on river floats this summer. The hope was that it would be loud enough to be heard by everyone floating together but it didn't really travel far past the canoe it was in. Still it was great just for that alone considering the price...

Thanks. This is what I initially thought I'd use it for (next summer) but if it can't be heard outside my own tube/canoe, it's a pass for me.

cdembitz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdembitz

My brief review:

•Sound is OK
•Battery is great
•Bluetooth range is comically poor. If my phone is in my left pocket and the speaker is hanging off my bag on my right side, it cuts out. The range is roughly 3-5 feet (but less if someone is in between the two devices), no exaggeration. I've used a lot of bluetooth devices, and it seems like you'd have to intentionally make it with such poor range.

This could be a great product at this price point with better range. But as it is, I can't recommend it at all, as having no music is preferable to music that cuts in out constantly because I took one step away from the speaker with my phone in my pocket.

racerherbie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages racerherbie

I have one and I attached it to our cooler that we use when we float the river. This thing has gone through hell and works great. It has terrific sound and is plenty loud enough. Great battery life too. You won't go wrong with it.

inthelead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages inthelead

I am guessing it doesn't float so if it sinks you are sunk.

Adidsa02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Adidsa02

As stated, Bluetooth range is REALLY poor. With my phone in my right pocket and the speaker attached to a bag hung on my left shoulder, sound drops out. The range would have to be at least double its current distance before I could recommend this unit. Sad too because it actually sounds pretty good.

justme6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justme6

I bought one a few months ago. I use it for street hiking. Very happy with it.

Sound could be louder outside with traffic (plenty loud indoors and on the deck) and BT can be blocked by my body, but the price/water resistance junction is nice. It does tend to tell the phone to start playing music on my iPhone upon pairing, even if that app was not open, which is annoying when the house isn't awake yet.