Let's check out the product page

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a comparison video

ronmarlowe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronmarlowe
villagebike wrote:Cheaper on newegg + free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113527

Maybe, maybe not..... There are subtle differences in the description and warranty between the two. Note "refurbished" vs "factory reconditioned" and the warranty here specifically says it is a Nikon warranty. That's not to say New Egg's not offering the same product and warranty, just that it is something to check closely.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read and watch this "excellent" review over at cnet.com

crazyjake05

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crazyjake05

would this be a good entry level camera for a photography enthusiast? i am definitely not talking professional quality, but something that is leaps and bounds above standard digital cameras. How about the interface?

Try the clean, easy to use, multi-site tracker with sound notifications. Super fast load times, beautiful interface, and fully customizable content.

Simple Woot Watcher

joshmachine28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshmachine28

What is the shutter count on these used cameras?

jthebird1977

quality posts: 27 Private Messages jthebird1977

Trying to compare bundles available. This is the camera we want to get soon but have been looking at this bundle at sam's. After comparing the components in each package, we would save about $65 to buy today's woot and piecemeal the remaining parts. I think it will be worth it for us to pay the extra and get a full year warranty then add the additional 3 year service plan on top of it. This thought process won't work for everyone, but it is what we are considering.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

joshmachine28 wrote:What is the shutter count on these used cameras?

Per the Specs:
Shutter:

• Type: Charge-coupled Electronic
  • Speed: 30 - 1/4000 sec

I hope this information helps :D

acanarelli

quality posts: 222 Private Messages acanarelli

I own a camera similar to this one but mine is a Canon and it's about 5 years older than this one. It cost me more than $700 5 years ago and it's less than half the camera this one is. I bought my camera to use for astrophotography, so I usually do not use the camera lens. Instead I use either a 100mm fully corrected telescope (called an APO) or a larger 14 inch telescope.

Nevertheless, with a camera like this in your hands, along with some practice on using it, you will easily take pictures like a professional photographer. If you choose only to take pictures of your family during the holidays or on vacations, they will be the BEST pictures you have ever taken! You can take your pictures during the day or under low light conditions...same fantastic results! Truly an absolutely wonderful camera!

joshmachine28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshmachine28

Unfortunately, I was looking for a different answer.

Shutter count refers to the number of clicks the camera has already undergone. The mecahnical parts of a DSLR have a fixed lifetime and its important to know the shutter count in a used camera.

ROGETRAY wrote:Per the Specs:
Shutter:
  • Type: Charge-coupled Electronic
  • Speed: 30 - 1/4000 sec

I hope this information helps :D

misterjohnny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misterjohnny
crazyjake05 wrote:would this be a good entry level camera for a photography enthusiast? i am definitely not talking professional quality, but something that is leaps and bounds above standard digital cameras. How about the interface?

This site compares the 5100 vs the 5200 and 5300.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/10/17/nikon-d5300-vs-d5100-vs-d5200-13-key-differences-you-need-know-about/

5100 is probably a better value for a beginning enthusiast. The added quality of the 5200 probably won't be appreciated by a beginner, but the 5200 can be wifi equipped.

A refurb 5100 can be bought for about $450 with the 18-55mm lens.

omega31

quality posts: 6 Private Messages omega31

It varies quite a bit.

I bought a refurbished D50 a few years ago, and I think it had less than a hundred. A few years later, I bought a refurbished D80, which had a count of around 300. These are probably on the lower side of what you can expect.

noiselessinfinity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noiselessinfinity
crazyjake05 wrote:would this be a good entry level camera for a photography enthusiast? i am definitely not talking professional quality, but something that is leaps and bounds above standard digital cameras. How about the interface?

It all depends on what you plan on using it for, and how familiar you are with setting exposure to get the shot you want. I bought one of these new back in February as a beginner myself, and I've been having a blast with it. Although, I would recommend investing in a couple of good lenses; the lenses are often more important than anything else. Also, a spare battery is immensely helpful.

nicknillo1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicknillo1

I've been needing a new camera to make and post videos of hardware reviews for my youtube channel. Because of the subject matter, my videos are exclusively shot indoors and use closeups.

Would this camera be what I'm looking for, or would it be overkill? Seeing as how it's ending up on Youtube, is there going to be a noticeable difference in quality between getting one of these as opposed to something like a Canon EOS Rebel?

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

The D5200 is a good camera that anyone would be pleased with. I won't nitpick over which deal site has the lowest price. If it's a factory rebuilt camera, it should last for years unless you have some random failure that can happen to anyone. The shutters are tested beyond 100,000 cycles so I wouldn't be too concerned about how many clicks it has on it. This is a DX camera, which is Nikon speak for APS or Canon's APS-C. They're all essentially the same, using a fairly large image sensor which requires real lenses, not the little toy kind you might be used to. But the DX lenses are less expensive than FX (24X36mm sensor) lenses. And you can use a FX lens on a DX camera, no problem. Just be aware that this model does not have an autofocus drive motor inside the camera body. Therefore it can only use lenses with the focus motor in the lens. Old screw drive autofocus lenses will not autofocus on this camera. You can still use them with manual focus, but that's a real pain.
I also won't get into the Nikon vs Canon discussion. People tend to like one brand or the other. Both are good. If you already have Nikon lenses the choice is obvious. Canon recently introduced a very small and light APS-C camera (EOS Rebel SL1) that you may want to look at closely.
Plan on using this camera for a long time, because it should last at least 10 years.
If you are interested in what's under the hood, be aware that the 24MP sensor in the D5200 is not the same as the one in the D7100. The D7100 is a lot more expensive, and it has a better sensor. Also bigger MP numbers are not always better. Sometimes cameras with fewer MPs take better photos because the photoreceptors are less crowded on the chip. Each individual photoreceptor can be bigger and have better light sensitivity.

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647

Yes. And it would give you professional quality with the right lens. You are head and shoulders above a point and shoot.

blockschip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blockschip

I had read somewhere in my research that when the camera is refurbished or reconditioned by Nikon the shutter clicks are reset to zero.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Depends on what you are planning to shoot. If it includes indoors low-light action sports shots, you need a better lens.

What do you want to shoot?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
j647 wrote:Yes. And it would give you professional quality with the right lens. You are head and shoulders above a point and shoot.

Note "with the right lens!" The usual "kit lens" is OK, but sometimes people have aspirations that are FAR beyond the capabilities of the lens.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

kschoenberg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kschoenberg

Yes, it would and if you buy it wan an American Express card they'll give you an additional year of warranty. They actually stand behind that warranty too.

jthebird1977 wrote:Trying to compare bundles available. This is the camera we want to get soon but have been looking at this bundle at sam's. After comparing the components in each package, we would save about $65 to buy today's woot and piecemeal the remaining parts. I think it will be worth it for us to pay the extra and get a full year warranty then add the additional 3 year service plan on top of it. This thought process won't work for everyone, but it is what we are considering.

rrsuthy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rrsuthy

I'm looking for a camera that would allow me to take action shots of my daughter, while she plays soccer. Sometimes, she's a bit far away (she plays goalie for 1/2 the game), sometimes closer. Either way, I need to take quick shots. Would this camera work? I obviously need something easy as my knowledge of photography is nil.

thomas998

quality posts: 21 Private Messages thomas998
rrsuthy wrote:I'm looking for a camera that would allow me to take action shots of my daughter, while she plays soccer. Sometimes, she's a bit far away (she plays goalie for 1/2 the game), sometimes closer. Either way, I need to take quick shots. Would this camera work? I obviously need something easy as my knowledge of photography is nil.

Yes and no. You could use this camera but you would need another lens to go with it. The one that it comes with is not going to zoom in enough for you. Note that this camera does not have a built in focus motor so you can't simply buy an old used Nikon zoom off eBay, unless you want to focus manually. You need to make sure the zoom lens you buy for this camera has its own built in motor. That means the extra lenses for this camera will cost a bit more.

emyanke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emyanke

Bought this camera at Costco as my first adventure into the DSLR world after a fair amount of research. I have been totally satisfied with the purchase.

Auto/Programmed auto settings are perfect if you just need to pick up the camera and take photos. Otherwise, you can start using all the more advanced shooting modes when you're ready.

Package I bough came with this zoom lens in addition to the kit lens on this model:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/telephotozoom/af-s_nikkor55-300mmf_45-56g_ed_vr/

I would highly, highly recommend this lens as a reasonably priced, reasonably fast (large aperture) prime lens, which I used about 75% of the time with my D5200:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2183/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-35mm-f%252F1.8G.html

whytcolr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whytcolr
rrsuthy wrote:I obviously need something easy as my knowledge of photography is nil.

You could, conceivably, use this camera is "auto" mode, but you'd be wasting its capabilities and (possibly) frustrating yourself. The kit lens isn't very "zoomy" so you'd probably have to invest in a higher telephoto/zoom lens. The 70-300 would probably do just fine, but would add another few $100 to the total price. (If you don't get the VR model, get a tripod -- zooming to 300 means every tiny move of your hand gets magnified by 50.)

For any novice looking at this camera, I urge you to look into a beginners photography course. An SLR is capable of taking fantastic pictures, but if you leave it on full-automatic, your results are going to leave something to be desired. Knowing what all the settings on the camera isn't necessary, but knowing what the basics do is critical to getting more out of the camera than a decent point and shoot.

If you just want "basic" and "easy" get a point and shoot with the biggest sensor you can find.

EDIT: I should add that a point and shoot with a long zoom is going to be cheaper than this + lens. The Lumix FZ200, for instance gives you a 24x zoom at less than $500, with a good/great lens. If the 600mm lens doesn't go far enough for you there's a telephoto booster that'll push it over 1000mm.

If you don't need the super zoom, the big sensor on the Sony Cybershot RX100 or the PowerShot G1 X mean high-image quality, low-noise, and accurate colors.

And to be clear, if you're interested in photography, this D5200 is a really great starter camera and will serve you well both while learning the ropes and beyond.

rrsuthy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rrsuthy
thomas998 wrote:Yes and no. You could use this camera but you would need another lens to go with it. The one that it comes with is not going to zoom in enough for you. Note that this camera does not have a built in focus motor so you can't simply buy an old used Nikon zoom off eBay, unless you want to focus manually. You need to make sure the zoom lens you buy for this camera has its own built in motor. That means the extra lenses for this camera will cost a bit more.

Thank you!

Creeper1313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Creeper1313

It's another $276, but as a new DSLR owner, a lens that I found to be a great companion to my versatile-but-master-of-none 18-200mm VR2 lens is Nikon's 40mm 2.8G Micro (aka Macro).

While not as fast as the f1.8 primes most recommend as early lenses to buy, the 40mm f2.8 splits the difference between 35mm and 50mm (I found 50mm a bit too tight on a crop sensor), and 2.8 is still wide enough to get shallow depth of field for portraits.

Also, it is pretty impressive for it's price as a macro lens... just be prepared to get within a few inches of your subject as I had to for this spider photo: http://i.imgur.com/7wWlJ.jpg

Also something to be aware of in the Nikon world is that if you have one of their entry level cameras (3000 and 5000 series), you MUST stick to lenses with a "G" in their name.

Older style lenses with a "D" in their name will only work on the 7000 series and better, as they require a screw drive to auto-focus.

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos

I've been consistently burned from purchasing refurbished/reconditioned/"factory" refurbished/"factory" reconditioned items on Woot and its associated web partners.

Every single item I've bought that has not been brand new has broken on me early in the warranty period, and I have spent extended times without the use of my new-ish products.

You could not get me to buy another refurb on Woot for all the cliches in the English language.

GGA1759

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GGA1759

Unknown warranty? States on the stats page that there is a 90-warranty and a 30-day exchange policy. Newegg is the better deal on this one.

villagebike wrote:Cheaper on newegg + free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113527

[MOD: Unknown warranty. Ours is factory reconditioned with a Nikon warranty.]

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
kschoenberg wrote:Yes, it would and if you buy it wan an American Express card they'll give you an additional year of warranty. They actually stand behind that warranty too.

Actually, you will get an additional 90 days of warranty. AMEX (and I believe all of the CC extended warranties) only doubles the warranty.

"...for a period of time equal to the duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one (1) additional year..."

In the case of a refurb, it probably means the 90 day warranty, when it says "original"

fightingpillow

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fightingpillow

Last week I bought a Nikon DSLR a level or two down from this one (but with the same lens). I've been super-satisfied. The quality of my pictures have been amazing, and I don't know squat about photography. The camera manages to find light in the mostly-dark (I took it on a cave tour). It's large, so you'll look like a tool. But you'll take great photos.

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik

I bought the D5100 version from woot before. Couldn't tell it was "factory reconditioned" - not a scratch on it, and worked perfectly. Practically new. Buy with confidence.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 14 Private Messages billthegunowner

Excellent camera. Phenomenal pictures. You can't go wrong with this camera. You absolutely will not be disappointed.

Bill

mendina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mendina
Creeper1313 wrote:
Also something to be aware of in the Nikon world is that if you have one of their entry level cameras (3000 and 5000 series), you MUST stick to lenses with a "G" in their name.

Older style lenses with a "D" in their name will only work on the 7000 series and better, as they require a screw drive to auto-focus.

Nitpick: It's an "S" in the name. You can use lenses without a G in the name. The "S" denotes the "Silent" motor built into the lens to provide auto focus.

You can use lenses without an S if you can accept manual focus, which is pretty standard in some situations such as macro photography. You're right about the rest, of course.

Visualize FidoNet in 1993, and now imagine a witty tagline. Thanks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

GGA1759 wrote:Unknown warranty? States on the stats page that there is a 90-warranty and a 30-day exchange policy. Newegg is the better deal on this one.

There's no info on who the warranty is with.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sappsters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sappsters

For $50 more you can get brand new on Ebay with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350908081846

rlichtefeld

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rlichtefeld

I bought the D5100 that Woot had earlier this year. I had been a very avid 35mm SLR photographer with a Canon AE1 Program, and stepping up to this after a few years of only using point and shoot small cameras has been great fun. The D5200 would be great to learn on would last you well through the learning stages. I'm still getting used to the tricks you can do with HDR and the Auto ISO settings. I keep the camera on P, so that I can pick it up and just shoot, but then when I want to take the time and effort I move it to A, S or M modes and get some really good shots.

Georgia National Fair - Perry, GA:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_lichtefeld/sets/72157636630728225/

Little St. Simons Island, GA:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_lichtefeld/sets/72157634493263973/

If you are going to do wildlife, you'll want a much "longer" lens, I went with the 70-300mm VR, and been happy with it. Given the sensor, it is equivalent to a 450mm lens.