WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

For all their cheap, mass-market ubiquity, the boxed costumes of the '70s and '80s manufactured by such outfits as Ben Cooper and Collegeville were pretty avant-garde in their way. Rather than attempt versimilitude, they splashed logos across kids' torsos with total disregard for what the subject of the costume looked like, thus turning the wearer into a walking billboard in a bold commentary on the commercial nature of such commodified celebrations.

Or maybe they were just really crappy. You tell us. And tell us who these eight disturbing costumes were supposed to represent.

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

I can definitely see the Village People and almost Laura Ingalls or Chuck Norris. My Little Pony is passable, and R2D2 is difficult to pull off. But how someone can screw up so badly a mask that represents PacMan, which is a plain yellow sphere, is beyond me.

[EDIT] Actually on second look Laura Ingalls looks like Ronald Reagan.

kellyaley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellyaley

I think the Chuck Norris looks a lot more like Captain Kangaroo. I couldn't figure out that butchered Pac-man. I also thought Laura looked more like Donnie Osmond.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Eek I can almost smell those plastic masks...

bill13k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bill13k
Lord John Whorfin wrote:I can definitely see the Village People and almost Laura Ingalls or Chuck Norris. My Little Pony is passable, and R2D2 is difficult to pull off. But how someone can screw up so badly a mask that represents PacMan, which is a plain yellow sphere, is beyond me.

I've actually seen Pac-Man like this before, I remember having a sleeping bag (they even gave him feet) with this design as a kid. I also swear I saw it on the side of some arcade cabinets.

epennington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epennington
Lord John Whorfin wrote:

I thought #1 was Reagan.

Hilmania

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hilmania

I thought the Pac-man was H.R. Puffingstuff at first. Then I saw the bit of board. I do like the Joker, see the cop from the Village People, agree with the rest, but I think Chuck could also be He-Man. Wait, the stache makes it Chuck.

mikeselr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeselr

Had most of them figured, even what seemed like a too-many pilled pac-man. But the Laura Ingalls? Wow, looks more like Arnold in a bonnet. :/

lroux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lroux

I thought 8 was He-Man too. #6 looks a bit like Underdog.

I remember the yearly scrum through the boxes looking for just the right one. One year I got an electronic one! (alright, it had a light bulb in the middle of the forehead for some reason - but it was cool in those days).

Thanks for the visit through the way back machine, woot!

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Color me impressed by anybody who recognized Chuck. When I found that picture, at first glance I was sure it was Hulk Hogan.

wwinch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wwinch
Jason Toon wrote:Color me impressed by anybody who recognized Chuck. When I found that picture, at first glance I was sure it was Hulk Hogan.

How do you know they didn't use the same mask for a Hulk Hogan costume?

jjohnson823

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjohnson823

#7 looks to me more like Holly Hobby than Laura Ingalls. I had a Holly Hobby lunchbox back in the 80s, and she had the same hat. Gosh, I'm feeling old..

ashleylynn73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashleylynn73

I had both the R2-D2 and Pac-Man costumes. Now that the memory has been brought back to my conscious state, I should make an emergency appointment with my therapist.

Germanicus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Germanicus

Those 70s boxed costumes were l-a-m-e because the body part of the costume usually had a big logo from what ever the franchise the costume represented. For example, if you got the Fonz costume, instead of merely a fake leather jacket and blue jeans you got a montage of a happy days scene with the words "The Fonz!" emblazoned on it. Home made costumes were always better.

Cindy Peak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cindy Peak

The 60s costumes weren't much better! I remember I was Caspar the Friendly Ghost one year!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Cindy Peak wrote:The 60s costumes weren't much better! I remember I was Caspar the Friendly Ghost one year!

Me too! But his mask was cute.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

steimy29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steimy29

I think #6 looks like Pound Puppies and Pound Kitties because of the kid's shirt. At first glance I thought #8 was Hulk Hogan

Chakra138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chakra138
strawhousepig wrote:Eek I can almost smell those plastic masks...

Omens, Monsters, and Goblins! Yes!!! The smell fresh out of the box! I was Tinkerbell one year, and I think my sister was Wonder Woman! Oh the BEST costumes EVER!!!

FallenAnjel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel
Lord John Whorfin wrote:I can definitely see the Village People and almost Laura Ingalls or Chuck Norris. My Little Pony is passable, and R2D2 is difficult to pull off. But how someone can screw up so badly a mask that represents PacMan, which is a plain yellow sphere, is beyond me.

I thought the same thing! "Ronald Reagan with a bonnet on" lol

I actually didn't get Pac Man and I'm of the Pac Man generation. I also thought Chuck Norris was He-Man probably because I was never a Norris fan but did watch HeMan in the 80's.

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

Eighthnote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eighthnote

I got all of them except 6 and 7. Never heard of 6 and I thought 7 was Elton John.....lol

keljo444

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keljo444

Remember how your breath would cause a bunch of condensation inside and be dripping down and get the front of the costume all wet?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

I thought Laura Ingalls was JFK in a bonnet. Everybody else I got. Also, the Village People one actually has the name scrawled across the mask. So not actually guessing there. Not that I could miss it, mind you.

I have a great mashup idea for a halloween mask: deadpacman. Something Deadmaus-like but it's pac-man. Inspired by this woot tee, which I wore to greet trick-or-treaters this year.

cornjob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cornjob

I thought #7 looked just like mickey dolenz from the monkees, definitely not female.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

Anyone else remember the eye holes have jabby spots on them?

My guesses:
1) The Joker
2) R2D2
3) My Little Pony
4) Policeman from The Village People
5) Pac Man
6) Pound Puppies
7) Little House on the Prairie?
8) HeeMan? Hulk Hogan? Any blonde man from the early 80's?

mick66

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mick66

If #4 is The Village People, then #7 is Little House on the Prairie and #1 is Batman.

#4 is NOT The Village People. It's the Leatherman from The Village People

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

#7 is the scariest

cthomerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cthomerson

1. The Joker... no problem.
2. R2D2... never got that one; not even close.
3. My little Pony... never saw the character, except on commercials.
4. Village People... I got that one; obviously.
5. PacMan??? Give me a break... looks more like a Killer Clown or something.
6. Pound Puppies/Pound Purries... I thought more like Huckleberry Hound and Top Cat.
7. Laura Ingalls? Really, not the laura I remember.
8. Chuck Norris... can't see it. I too saw Captain Kangaroo... but then I noticed the headband and immediately thought of The Hulkster.

mlasers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlasers

The character in the yellow mask is "Mister Bill" from SNL fame.

mlasers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlasers
mlasers wrote:The character in the yellow mask is "Mister Bill" from SNL fame.

It looks like he was dressed sort of sado-masikistic for that particular skit. He always get smashed in the end.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Breezed thru the first four. #5 was confusing, but after viewing the answers, I picked up the cropped pac-man maze on the shoulder area. For #6, I had no clue. #7 looks like Jim Carey in a drag. I got #8, only because the 70's was stuck in my mind. The #8 mask could easily be used for the Hulkster or He-man. Put a hat on and you have Captain Kangaroo. Maybe there was a method to this madness of making cheap masks!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?