quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Item: Simmons 3" Gel or Foam Topper - 5 Sizes
Price: $54.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Just when I thought memory foam couldn't get any better, they go and make it using gel.... Anybody have any experience with gel toppers?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3128 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's rock out to a video

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3128 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out some of the reasons why we all need a good nights sleep from webmd.com and harvard.edu

redlyn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redlyn
lichme wrote:Just when I thought memory foam couldn't get any better, they go and make it using gel.... Anybody have any experience with gel toppers?

I bought one of the 3" gel toppers from woot awhile back. Love it! I sleep much better and I don't find it to be hot like people say the memory foam is. I would consider it to be one of my best purchases.

diamondhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diamondhead
redlyn wrote:I bought one of the 3" gel toppers from woot awhile back. Love it! I sleep much better and I don't find it to be hot like people say the memory foam is. I would consider it to be one of my best purchases.

I have an expensive foam mattress that is too soft. Is this gel mattress firmer than my foam mattress? I have a bad back.

BIGsinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BIGsinner

Can I get a density rating on the toppers please?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

BIGsinner wrote:Can I get a density rating on the toppers please?

If you check the Specifications tab on the sale, both are listed as 3.5 lbs.

I hope this information is helpful!

ferretferret

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ferretferret

They have samples of all the different types of foams and gels available for poking/prodding/glomping at Kohl's clothing stores. I haven't actually owned a gel set myself, but, from having felt the differences between memory foam, the control group (bare), and this type of gel, the gel really does take the cake. And eats it, too! Ridiculously soft, form-fitting, inexpensive, and with a better texture than that inherent in memory foam.

Again, I don't have ownership experience of gel (only with memory foam), but, from what I was able to feel/lay on, gel is pretty freaking great.

traquy

quality posts: 50 Private Messages traquy
diamondhead wrote:I have an expensive foam mattress that is too soft. Is this gel mattress firmer than my foam mattress? I have a bad back.

Short answer, no. This topper will make a mattress softer, not firmer. Toppers are as a rule softer than the mattresses they top.

mystic951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mystic951

Found an review online. Says they're unbiased, but, that's neither here nor there. They provide quite a bit of feedback and info on the mattress. They give feedback on everything from pain relief, to heat retention, and if your really curious "Love Making Suitability". So, yea. Lots of feedback.

Scroll down to the second review on the page, that's the on of the Simmons Curve.
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-comforped.html

[MOD: That's the mattress, not the topper.]

TISGOD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TISGOD

Just so happens I was looking at a Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Contour Select (Firm) Mattress today for my girl who has had spinal fusion and my bed is killing her back....

Anyone know how these toppers compare to this?

Also, what would be the differences between the gel and Memory Foam toppers offered here?

Was considering buying two toppers to add density and thought maybe getting one of each might be a good idea?

And ummmm, I live in South Florida, DO NOT want something that's gonna burn me up at night retaining heat so....

Anyone?

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk
mystic951 wrote:Found an review online. Says they're unbiased, but, that's neither here nor there. They provide quite a bit of feedback and info on the mattress. Scroll down to the second review on the page, that's the on of the Simmons Curve.
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-comforped.html

The second is not reviewing the same item. They reviewed a much thicker pad consisting of a layer of gel and a base of memory foam.

lroller

quality posts: 13 Private Messages lroller

I have experience with both. To begin with, I am fortunate enough to have no aches or pains, so I can not speak to their therapeutic value. However, when my sister-in-law inquired about them a ways back she went out and bought one. She said her constant backache disappeared. I like both mattresses. I bought a gel mattress from Costco and a foam mattress from the big O. The gel mattress does feel cooler to the touch...almost clammy like. The foam is dryer/warmer. I just returned the gel mattress to Costco because after a couple of years use, the underside had developed many cracks when I turned it over. I believe this problem is inherent to both types of mattresses. What I really, really like about these toppers is that they are great for side sleepers like me. The topper, whether it be foam or gel enables your shoulder to sink into the foam providing better alignment of your head and spine. In for a gel topper for my FL townhouse. Would have gone to Costco next week to buy one!

XTCfan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages XTCfan
TISGOD wrote:Just so happens I was looking at a Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Contour Select (Firm) Mattress today for my girl who has had spinal fusion and my bed is killing her back....

Also, what would be the differences between the gel and Memory Foam toppers offered here?

Was considering buying two toppers to add density and thought maybe getting one of each might be a good idea?

And ummmm, I live in South Florida, DO NOT want something that's gonna burn me up at night retaining heat so....

Anyone?

All the answers to your questions can be found here:
http://www.themattressunderground.com/

I've had every type of bed (inner spring, water, adjustable air, memory foam), and when I went shopping for a new one, I found the forum on the Mattress Underground to be incredibly valuable. The moderator there answers questions quickly and comprehensively -- check out the site, you'll find that someone has probably already asked your question, and he's answered it. I ended up going with a latex bed as a result of what I learned there, and love it. Bought it online, and saved a lot of money compared to dealing with the shysters at bedding stores (and definitely saved money compared to name brands like Tempurpedic -- I've had one, they're good beds, but unnecessarily expensive ... check Amazon or other direct-sale sites).

The person who said that the topper is going to make the bed even softer is correct -- and that might not be good for someone with a bad bad. Plus, 3.5-lb density is not very dense at all, so it'll be soft and not last too long. Typically, you want something that is at least 4.5-lb density or above.

cousineaud

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cousineaud

Hi All, I am with the manufacturer of this product and will be able to answer any questions that you may have. As an overview, these are high quality mattress toppers that use the same memory foam (both gel and standard) that are found in high end mattresses.

symar10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages symar10

http://home.woot.com/offers/2-foam-topper-gel-or-standard-5-sizes

I bought the above gel topper from here on August 26 and placed it on my firm mattress. I'm very happy with it. I let it air several days before using it, and added a quilted mattress pad on top, too. Just last week I added a heated mattress pad on top of everything. I use deep pocket flexi-fit sheets, and everything stays in place very well. The added mattress pads help keep my bed from becoming too soft on top but still let the topper add comfortable mushiness to my bed. I haven't noticed the topper being too hot.

XTCfan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages XTCfan
lroller wrote:I just returned the gel mattress to Costco because after a couple of years use, the underside had developed many cracks when I turned it over. I believe this problem is inherent to both types of mattresses.

This is due to not having the correct type of foundation. You've got to have something that "breathes," or moisture will get trapped on the underside the mattress, and you'll get mold/cracking. Check the Mattress Underground site for guidelines about what type of foundation to get -- it makes a big difference.

(BTW, not affiliated in any way with MU, just a happy user.)

cousineaud

Hi,

Either of these toppers would be great for adding extra comfort to a bed. The gel toppers have gel infused into the foam. The gel has natural cooling properties that draw heat in and away from the body... this leads to a more comfortable sleep. The gel also adds support to the foam.

Both toppers are made with our patented open cell memory foam so that air is able to flow around you and through the foam. This solves one of the biggest drawbacks to older memory foam... that it sleeps hot.

I hope this helps.

TISGOD wrote:Just so happens I was looking at a Tempurpedic TEMPUR-Contour Select (Firm) Mattress today for my girl who has had spinal fusion and my bed is killing her back....

Anyone?

jenthenewwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenthenewwooter
traquy wrote:Short answer, no. This topper will make a mattress softer, not firmer. Toppers are as a rule softer than the mattresses they top.

I disagree. I have a horrible back (just had major spinal surgery for it). I could not sleep if I didn't have a DENSE foam topper. I paid big bucks for my heavenly bed. However, without my foam, the mattress is fair. For me, the dense foam gives me support I need, yet is still soft. I believe my foam topper is either 3 or 4 lbs in density.

pinkmommy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkmommy

I am trying to choose between foam and gel. I like the idea that the gel is supposed to be cool. One person said "almost clammy" to touch. Of course there is a sheet over the topper. Will gel feel clammy? What are pros of foam over gel? Gel over foam?

superspec

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superspec

I bought the one from a few weeks back. We love it and might jump on this one for our daughters bed. It sleeps cooler that our mattress ever did. I havent had any night sweats since i put the topper on.

cousineaud

pinkmommy wrote:I am trying to choose between foam and gel. I like the idea that the gel is supposed to be cool. One person said "almost clammy" to touch. Of course there is a sheet over the topper. Will gel feel clammy? What are pros of foam over gel? Gel over foam?

Hi,

I wouldn't describe the sensation as clammy.

It is cooler to the touch due to increased air flow and the infused gel.

tjakl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjakl
lichme wrote:Just when I thought memory foam couldn't get any better, they go and make it using gel.... Anybody have any experience with gel toppers?

I have a gel topper on my king size bed. My mattress was too hard and the gel made it PERFECT. I find it retains its shape better than memory foam. It does seem to retain heat a bit - but it could just be that I'm pre-menopausal!! My husband has not complained about it, so it may be me. It is HEAVY, though, and not easy to turn without help.

tjakl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjakl
cousineaud wrote:Hi,

I wouldn't describe the sensation as clammy.

It is cooler to the touch due to increased air flow and the infused gel.

Yes, the gel is a bit "clammy" to the touch, but you won't be sleeping directly on it. Mine is under my mattress pad, and then the fitted sheet goes on top. Keeps the gel topper cleaner this way, because I don't see how you could ever wash it.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
redlyn wrote:I bought one of the 3" gel toppers from woot awhile back. Love it! I sleep much better and I don't find it to be hot like people say the memory foam is. I would consider it to be one of my best purchases.

agree even bought them for both my daughters, they love them, great product.

coolmoose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coolmoose

A topper is good for a firm mattress that you want to soften. It will not help a soft or worn out mattress. I used to use the toppers, but didn't like that they would "walk" around the top of the bed... was constantly adjusting them, pulling them or pushing (like pushing on a rope) them back onto the mattress. At my sister's house, her mattress was ultra firm, so a topper is just the ticket. Is the gel worth an extra fin? Maybe. But I don't think it matters much. Both are soft and resilient. I like memory foam so much, I now have a 13" memory foam mattress. All other mattresses seem crappy in comparison. Bottom line, buy the topper if you have a mattress in good condition. When it wears out, buy a memory foam mattress. If it's already beat, buy a mattress now. You'll be glad you did.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

Does your gel topper smell? I've yet to find a gel pillow much less topper that didn't stink. I got two of my kids some nice gel pillows last year for xmas from Costco. They still stink IMO. And it's that nice chemical smell too. Just wondering.

TC1 USCG Ret

Wootuser3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wootuser3

What is the return policy if I hate it?
Will it cost me a fortune in return shipping?

thechanel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thechanel

I bought this gel topper from Woot last month and let me tell you it is wicked comfortable. The gel part really makes no difference in absorbing body heat but oh well, the foam itself is like sleeping on marshmallows. I had a regular memory foam topper before this, they're about the same in comfort but it was like 6 years old so the gel one being new seems fluffier.

thechanel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thechanel
tc1uscg wrote:Does your gel topper smell? I've yet to find a gel pillow much less topper that didn't stink. I got two of my kids some nice gel pillows last year for xmas from Costco. They still stink IMO. And it's that nice chemical smell too. Just wondering.

Once you put the topper in the cover it comes in and then add bed sheets you can't smell anything. For the gel one anyways.

scrotus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scrotus
jenthenewwooter wrote:I disagree. I have a horrible back (just had major spinal surgery for it). I could not sleep if I didn't have a DENSE foam topper. I paid big bucks for my heavenly bed. However, without my foam, the mattress is fair. For me, the dense foam gives me support I need, yet is still soft. I believe my foam topper is either 3 or 4 lbs in density.

Same here. No surgeries but lots of lower, mid and upper back pains and when I sleep on a bed with no topper such as when visiting parents, my back kills the next day. With my own topper and if stay in a hotel with a decent topper, I'm fine. Firmer mattress certainly doesn't equal better for your back, everyone's different.

MadMontie1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MadMontie1

I'm considering a gel topper and my question is probably an odd one. Ive got an uncomfortable mattress at my ski condo (a bed I sleep on less than 100 nights a year), but my concern is that the bed is actually a Murphy bed, meaning the bed folds up to vertical for storage.

Anyone else think the gel topper would squish up and fall down being stored in this manner? And if so, would it be bad for it?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Wootuser3 wrote:What is the return policy if I hate it?

The FAQ answers that pretty well.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mtoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtoy

Memory foam tends to get very firm in cooler temperatures. How does the gel type react to cooler temps? We keep our bedroom in the mid-60s during the day and at about 60 at night.

edelvillar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edelvillar

What are the package dimensions and gross weight for shipping each of these toppers?

Snausages01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snausages01
edelvillar wrote:What are the package dimensions and gross weight for shipping each of these toppers?

I'm interested too, specifically the gel queen. Would this pass for carry-on luggage?

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
Wootuser3 wrote:What is the return policy if I hate it?

No returns unless defective.

kkd01

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kkd01

I personally use the gel mattress topper, and we love it. It conforms to your body, no lumps or bumps. Very cozy, very comfy, like sleeping on a cloud. I let mine air out straight out of the box for a day 8-10 hours, then put on. If you have aches and pains like we do, this is definitely a big help, and I can say it makes me sleep sounder.