Jeff53404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeff53404
populuxe wrote:you pay sales tax if Amazon has a facility in your state. In wisconsin, this just started friday--it killed my purchase of 3 memory foam mattress toppers I had in my cart. Now tax is a bigger factor than shipping. This TV? Add another $20 for tax, last week it was zero.

I just noticed they also changed the minimum $$$ purchase for free shipping on eligible items from $25 to $35.

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages MosquitoControl
schep999 wrote:
The new LED backlights allow the individual pixels to be 100% off, and now they can compete against plasmas. They also do not have the glare of a glass plasma if you have high ambient light, like a south facing room with no blackout blinds.

This is factually untrue.

1) LEDs don't allow pixels to be wholly turned off. LED TVs come in two ways:
a) edge-lit, meaning there's a ring of LEDs behind the screen. This is noticeable at almost all times
b) array-lit, meaning there's a grid lf LEDs behind the screen.

Unless the LEDs are the size of the pixel and isolated, each LED lights many (many!) pixels. So it's impossible to turn one off yet keep the one next to it on. Typically, this is called "haloing," because an attempt to light a star in a black sky will make the entire area around the star brighter. The LED would have to be the size of the pixel, directly behind that one pixel, and wholly isolated from the surrounding pixels, for what you said to hold true.

On a plasma, you can light individual pixels, so this is not a problem.

Simply put, plasmas are objectively better when it comes to black levels, so the quoted information is wrong. I'd say they're objectively better in picture quality, too, but I suppose picture quality isn't something you can be objectively better at. Still, when you look at TV reviews, plasmas are always on the top.

As for the screen glare, most LCD TVs, LED or other, use a glossy screen these days for the same reason monitors do - gives more vibrant colors and suckers more people into buying in stores. But it's true that many LCDs still come with the matte while no plasma will.

All of this is moot, though, with Panasonic discontinuing plasmas the best TVs on the market are, well, no longer on the market. LG and Samsung plasmas weren't as good, no surprise since Panasonic spent much more money on R&D and had purchased Pioneer's Kuro tech.

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r

Based on the specs, it does NOT support HDCP!

High-bandwidth Digital-Content Protection

I believe XBOX, PS and Blu-Ray require HDPC to play protected content.

Maybe HDCP is just assumed these days?

Also, the Kmart TV listed by someone else does not mention HDCP in the specs.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am thinking about buying 1 or 2 of them.

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
luke975 wrote:actually the tv i was looking at on walmart has the hz listed as 60hz

Yeah I have cut back on Woot purchases as well, thanks to the tax impact due to an Amazon distribution facility in KS

jbrunel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrunel
schep999 wrote:It's not immediately accurate in that I have not done continuous checking. Historically, Westinghouse flat screens can come at a nice price point compared to the bigger names, but for a reason.

Almost every time I checked, their claimed contrast levels are far less. Every time I physically checked the images at Sams, it was confirmed to be true.

Contrast levels and at the same time black levels are what makes a screen look rich just as pixels and refresh rate.

For a while, plasmas had the edge because the individual pixels (photons) were flat turned off, but LCDs where just blanking the backlight to make a black pixel. Blacks were actually dark grays.

The new LED backlights allow the individual pixels to be 100% off, and now they can compete against plasmas. They also do not have the glare of a glass plasma if you have high ambient light, like a south facing room with no blackout blinds.

This unit seems to be a good deal, especially if it is truly LED backlit.

I just ordered the Westinghouse from Kmart which I think is a much better deal

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
Jeff53404 wrote:I just noticed they also changed the minimum $$$ purchase for free shipping on eligible items from $25 to $35.

@Jeff53404, yah bummer. While they might argue it is due to higher shipping costs, it doesn't hurt them that the higher $35 minimum pushes folks into Amazon Prime @ $79/year. (Sorry Woot, off topic.)

micamoca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micamoca
chrisautrey wrote:Tell me about it. What's worse is that they will no longer ship the exact same item they shipped me to my APO address before. I can sort of understand it for this one since it will likely be delivered by freight company and not USPS, but tablets? Really Woot?

Can we have a reason? Possibly a staff comment? Even if it is shipped by freight, if they think it cost too much to offer the same great deals to our warfighters then we should consider the cost of freedom!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

micamoca wrote:Can we have a reason? Possibly a staff comment? Even if it is shipped by freight, if they think it cost too much to offer the same great deals to our warfighters then we should consider the cost of freedom!

It actually has nothing to do with that.

A lot of our stuff ships via FedEx, especially drop shipped items. FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

Sorry.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
ROGETRAY wrote:It actually has nothing to do with that.

A lot of our stuff ships via FedEx, especially drop shipped items. FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

Sorry.

Note to folks with US Post Office Boxes: at least for our local USPO, with the rental of a PO Box they grant you a street address (ours even has a different zip code from our PO Box). Believe it or not, our local USPO then accepts both UPS and FedEx shipments on our behalf!

This feature might not be available at all USPO's - we are in a suburban community.

michaelcly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelcly
schep999 wrote:The new LED backlights allow the individual pixels to be 100% off, and now they can compete against plasmas. They also do not have the glare of a glass plasma if you have high ambient light, like a south facing room with no blackout blinds.

This unit seems to be a good deal, especially if it is truly LED backlit.

I agree. Backlit is why I pulled the trigger on this—and the price. I read that it's superior to side lit. According to reviews I've read the contrast could be TOO high though. Plasma always looks worse in the stores...but in the living room they look better. Gotta good feeling on this...fingers are crossed.

RXGuru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RXGuru
jbrunel wrote:I just ordered the Westinghouse from Kmart which I think is a much better deal

I just drove and bought the Westinghouse at Kmart, tv is SUPER light, sound is just fine... havent configured the settings or tried anything HD just Wii Netflix (mediocre quality). I'll let you know how HD looks once I get another cable box

order date item qty
22486079 12/10/2007 Polaroid Ultra-Compact 7 Megapixel Digital Camera 1 blog discuss
21814590 8/30/2007 Kensington 3 Button Optical Laptop Mouse 3 blog discuss
21464442 6/5/2007 Logitech PlayGear Share Audio Splitter – 2-Pack 1 blog discuss

illbleed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illbleed
RXGuru wrote:I just drove and bought the Westinghouse at Kmart, tv is SUPER light, sound is just fine... havent configured the settings or tried anything HD just Wii Netflix (mediocre quality). I'll let you know how HD looks once I get another cable box

Hi,

Glad to see someone went to buy it, i was about to go purchase it and pick it up. Let me know what you think and if you could try a gaming station that supports 1080p and let me know how it looks!
Did you buy it off the website then picked it up? or was it the same price in store?

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r
Th0r wrote:Based on the specs, it does NOT support HDCP!

High-bandwidth Digital-Content Protection

I believe XBOX, PS and Blu-Ray require HDPC to play protected content.

Maybe HDCP is just assumed these days?

Also, the Kmart TV listed by someone else does not mention HDCP in the specs.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am thinking about buying 1 or 2 of them.

Since I don't know if the TV has HDCP I will buy the one kmart has. I will need to pay sales tax, but if it does not work, I can return it. If it works with everything, and I like it enough, I will buy another.

csi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csi

I had it in my cart and ready to pull the trigger until I saw that tax was now being charged. Bummer!

gabrielheiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabrielheiser

Anyone know if it has audio outs, or a headphone out, at least? I want to run the audio thru my home audio system. Thanks.

beaverspork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beaverspork

There is audio out among many other ports in which they show a picture.

yeloazndevil

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeloazndevil
gabrielheiser wrote:Anyone know if it has audio outs, or a headphone out, at least? I want to run the audio thru my home audio system. Thanks.

it has a headphone jack and digital coaxial

RXGuru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RXGuru
illbleed wrote:Hi,

Glad to see someone went to buy it, i was about to go purchase it and pick it up. Let me know what you think and if you could try a gaming station that supports 1080p and let me know how it looks!
Did you buy it off the website then picked it up? or was it the same price in store?

Same price in store $267.xx after tax. I havent tried an HD source yet, SD seems pretty weak. TV is very thin for the price/brand, sound is mediocre (youtube on wii), waiting for my ATT HD cable box to come in so I can try my HD channels tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

I think it's worth the cheap price for a bedroom tv. Went to walmart earlier today to see comparison and only one close in value was 32" vizio for 279.xx

order date item qty
22486079 12/10/2007 Polaroid Ultra-Compact 7 Megapixel Digital Camera 1 blog discuss
21814590 8/30/2007 Kensington 3 Button Optical Laptop Mouse 3 blog discuss
21464442 6/5/2007 Logitech PlayGear Share Audio Splitter – 2-Pack 1 blog discuss

Mootsfox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mootsfox

Pretty sure this is a Westinghouse rebrand. The connection layout and remote are the same as a Westinghouse.

Not a bad deal for $250. Don't expect high quality though.

RickAllenZ27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RickAllenZ27

I was about to buy this when I saw the comments about the Westinghouse at Kmart. Checked the local store's stock, it said they had it, so I went over there and there were no Westinghouse TVs anywhere on the shelves. I asked about it, and they went and looked "in the back", and found three of them that none of them were aware of.
Very glad I read the comments!

Rick Allen

verchad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verchad
RickAllenZ27 wrote:I was about to buy this when I saw the comments about the Westinghouse at Kmart. Checked the local store's stock, it said they had it, so I went over there and there were no Westinghouse TVs anywhere on the shelves. I asked about it, and they went and looked "in the back", and found three of them that none of them were aware of.
Very glad I read the comments!

Very interesting. Yesterday and today, the Kmart shows the Westinghouse in stock at my local Kmart online. I happened to be in the store yesterday evening, to pick up something else, but was hoping to get a look at it and not only were there none on the shelves, there wasn't even a space or a tag for it.

I am a Kmart rewards member so I know I also would get double bonus points if I ordered it online.

I am really tempted. We have had 3 entertainment centers over the last 15 years, each new one due to a Bigger tv. This 39" would be an upgrade from the 32" Sigmac we currently have (a very good tv) and would just fit into our current e-center.

Would be a nice ripple effect. The 32" would bump the 22" JVc tv/dvd from our room to the daughters, and her 13" RCA tv/dvd would go to work with me.

Pumaste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pumaste

I just went and picked it up at local Kmart. Was not on the shelves but was in the back. Its also advertised in the weekly i saw at the counter while waiting for him to bring it out. Super light, great picture, Bright, HD Looks good. Not like Samsung good, but decent enough. Hockey looked good, basketball looked good. Definitely worth the $249. got a two year warranty for another $29 if if breaks.

verchad wrote:Very interesting. Yesterday and today, the Kmart shows the Westinghouse in stock at my local Kmart online. I happened to be in the store yesterday evening, to pick up something else, but was hoping to get a look at it and not only were there none on the shelves, there wasn't even a space or a tag for it.

I am a Kmart rewards member so I know I also would get double bonus points if I ordered it online.

I am really tempted. We have had 3 entertainment centers over the last 15 years, each new one due to a Bigger tv. This 39" would be an upgrade from the 32" Sigmac we currently have (a very good tv) and would just fit into our current e-center.

Would be a nice ripple effect. The 32" would bump the 22" JVc tv/dvd from our room to the daughters, and her 13" RCA tv/dvd would go to work with me.

micamoca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micamoca
ROGETRAY wrote:It actually has nothing to do with that.

Sorry.

You don't have to use FEDEX! You can use USPS for everything then we can all buy stuff; why would you limit your buisness anyway!

verchad

Ok. Finally pulled the trigger on this one. Went thru one rewards sight for 3% rEbate, then stacked a few kmart coupons to get a total of $15 in Kmart rewards dollars for it. $249.99 - 7.50 - 15 = $227.49 (plus tax).
Had to do in store pickup as it shows no longer available for delivery.

mikeknight01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeknight01
verchad wrote:Ok. Finally pulled the trigger on this one. Went thru one rewards sight for 3% rEbate, then stacked a few kmart coupons to get a total of $15 in Kmart rewards dollars for it. $249.99 - 7.50 - 15 = $227.49 (plus tax).
Had to do in store pickup as it shows no longer available for delivery.

So what's the verdict? There are no reviews of this set anywhere. Also, any chance we know whether it's cool with protected PS3 content? Thanks. I've been wavering on pulling the trigger for days now.

verchad

mikeknight01 wrote:So what's the verdict? There are no reviews of this set anywhere. Also, any chance we know whether it's cool with protected PS3 content? Thanks. I've been wavering on pulling the trigger for days now.

Hooked it up last night. Vikings/Skins game looked very good in HD. Wife and I tried blurays thru the PS3 (Twilight and Star Wars episode 4). Both looked good also.
Audio is surprisingly loud. It found all the ota HD channels, most were excellent. Did have to call in to get an activation code to scan for the ota channels. And U verse remote found a code for it.
It was late so I didn't try any games on ps3.
Only negative for me is that it is a non swiveling stand.

Shun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shun

Just got mine. Huge splotch of dead pixels/broken panel on one side.

There's no obvious dent or crack on the outside like it was caused by shipping...

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Shun wrote:Just got mine. Huge splotch of dead pixels/broken panel on one side.

There's no obvious dent or crack on the outside like it was caused by shipping...

Bummer! I'd recommend getting in touch with Affinity as the TV has a 1yr warranty with them. You can reach them here.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

cheezyweezy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheezyweezy

I just received mine Sat.11/9/13, set up was very simple with Direct TV my only problem is programing my new genie remote but I will get it. And now for the nitty gritty this is in a 15x13 bedroom picture is great better than I imagined and the sound also is very good I had read 1 or 2 reviews that the sound was not great I have no idea what they were looking for but mine is very good, but it is possible they have defective speakers and no I would not compare this with my living room Bose 10 speaker theater sound system with 2 /12 inch Polk woofers and large Samsung TV but if I did I have no regrets of walking out of the living room going into the bedroom and continuing a movie or show on this TV. I recommend it and may pick up another for the spare room. My last thought is how long it will last.

bawittig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bawittig

Bought this for my elderly Father and he is having a hard time programming it to use one remote with Direct TV - is it possible with this tv? Who is the parent company of Affinity? Thank you

bawittig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bawittig

how did you get it to program with Direct TV? We are having a hard time. Who is the parent company of Affinity?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bawittig wrote:Bought this for my elderly Father and he is having a hard time programming it to use one remote with Direct TV - is it possible with this tv? Who is the parent company of Affinity? Thank you

As this is a new TV, there should be contact info in the User's Manual that came with the TV.

I did find the Affinity Support site though. They should be able to help you out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ladi4ever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladi4ever

TV came broken screen, and for some reasons there were no indication of a damaged Box which it makes me think that was shipped as damaged screen.
There is no one to contact from the manufacture, Voice mail only, left a voice mail twice, I send to woot en email twice, no response back, I'm stocked with a broken TV, do not know where to return it because there is no return label.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ladi4ever wrote:TV came broken screen, and for some reasons there were no indication of a damaged Box which it makes me think that was shipped as damaged screen.
There is no one to contact from the manufacture, Voice mail only, left a voice mail twice, I send to woot en email twice, no response back, I'm stocked with a broken TV, do not know where to return it because there is no return label.

Sorry for the problem. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

That can happen if the box falls from upright to it's back or front. No box damage but the screen can be damaged.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ksridhar89

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ksridhar89

Just got mine, came with multiple dead pixels, many close to each other down the center, just contacted customer service at affinity, wondering if anyone got a reply yet. Thanks

doug402

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doug402
ksridhar89 wrote:Just got mine, came with multiple dead pixels, many close to each other down the center, just contacted customer service at affinity, wondering if anyone got a reply yet. Thanks

-they sent me a broken TV as well- sent it back (they did send me a return label)- no response to subsequent emails, customer service extension 201 mail box always full- the broken tv (Screen damage) was received by Kith in Chino > week ago per Fedex

Shun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shun

So the return process from Affinity wasn't too bad. I did it all through e-mail, which was convenient since their phone support is only open Monday - Friday. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and after a few days I delivered it to a UPS Store and I waited.

I sent them a quick email after they received it to ship to my billing address (Home) instead of the original shipping address (Work). I didn't hear anything back from them but on Monday it arrived at my Home address.

When I opened it up, I found another cracked panel with dead pixels. You can even see the defect on the right-hand side of the panel where the dead pixels start from.

Not too happy so far, especially as I could have bought one of those Westinghouse models from a B+M store for just as much money. I realize sometimes these things happen, but man. It's was fairly well packed (although better packed the first time), so I really don't think they are breaking from shipping.

I sent an e-mail to them yesterday at some point and haven't received anything, and now it's Saturday and their voice mailbox is full.

Womp womp.