Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3191 Private Messages lichme

Item: Gladiator Wall Solutions Pack
Price: $189.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/23/2013 - $189.99 - 25 comment(s)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

scottyboo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scottyboo

Isn't Stabbius Maximus some guy's p0rn name?

lichme

quality posts: 3191 Private Messages lichme

More info, and reviews on the Product Page

Home Depot has a review

Let's learn more about the warranty

[MOD EDIT: Deleted "Gladiator Link"; dead link]

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

quadld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quadld

FYI, this was on Home Depot Deal of the Day August 25th, for 129.99.

[MOD EDIT: Price @HD was incorrect;http://reviews.homedepot.com/answers/1999/product/204285032/gladiator-wall-solutions-geartrack-kit-questions-answers/questions.htm]

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a video on the gear tracks

p40whk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p40whk

I bought this during the last Woot deal and although I'm not sure if this pack is any different, I could not find them cheaper anywhere else.

There are plenty of this type wall organization systems out there and many are cheaper. I would say from my experience with this pack that it is worth it at this price. It's sturdy and you get plenty of hooks to hang stuff. All of the hooks are foam or plastic covered so you don't need to worry about scratching anything.

If you are mounting this against concrete walls you will need to replace all of the screws with concrete anchor type screws which is an added expense.

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

An impact driver makes putting these up a lot easier if you're going directly into a stud.

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

Holy cow that's expensive for what it does. Even at the wood-azon price it's still too much. Couple of nails in a board hold up a rake just the same. A little paint, presto.

ctviggen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen
p40whk wrote:I bought this during the last Woot deal and although I'm not sure if this pack is any different, I could not find them cheaper anywhere else.

There are plenty of this type wall organization systems out there and many are cheaper. I would say from my experience with this pack that it is worth it at this price. It's sturdy and you get plenty of hooks to hang stuff. All of the hooks are foam or plastic covered so you don't need to worry about scratching anything.

I also bought this during the last Woot sale and think this is a great set. The only thing I haven't been able to use are the bins. I predrilled each hole into a stud and also predrilled some "recesses" (can't remember the name now) for the screws, so that the screws fit flush with the surface of the hardware. It took me basically all day to put this up, but that was a lot of moving things out of the way (we just moved into this house) and putting things back.

I may have to buy another one.

biggunz2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biggunz2004

I spent way too much time researching this a few months back and was shocked by the prices to organize a garage. In the end, I found Holeyrail to be the best fit for my garage organization project for a decent price.

p40whk wrote:I bought this during the last Woot deal and although I'm not sure if this pack is any different, I could not find them cheaper anywhere else.

If you are mounting this against concrete walls you will need to replace all of the screws with concrete anchor type screws which is an added expense.

AlanZak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlanZak

Wow, almost $200 for hooks on tracks to hang stuff in my garage?? No thanks, I'll just break out the hammer drill and some cheapie hooks and get to work.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645

love the track system. the wife and i put up a bunch of track & cabinets in our garage over the summer.

this is my favorite piece of track

mojospapi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mojospapi

I'm in for a set. Get alot more compared to other kits for the $.

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote

I bought this last time. Good quality stuff, and easy to install. Final product has a nice finished look.

Tip: don't waste a section of track at the bottom of the cabinet because it is only acting as a spacer. I just fastened a board to the bottom rear of the cabinet to keep it plumb and it works great.

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

chadgandy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chadgandy

Awesome timing, and at the right price point for me. The only thing I need left to competely finish my garage is the Large Gear Box and I am done! I already have several Gladiator parts, to include the workbench that I got almost two years ago during a great fathers day discount event! I am extremely happy with these price points and the quality of the Gladiator systems (I cannot afford full retail). You get what you PAY for here folks.

dh4645

ggrote wrote:I bought this last time. Good quality stuff, and easy to install. Final product has a nice finished look.

Tip: don't waste a section of track at the bottom of the cabinet because it is only acting as a spacer. I just fastened a board to the bottom rear of the cabinet to keep it plumb and it works great.

the wife and i actually used pieces of track at the bottom of the 3 large cabinets we put up, but just made the bottom of the cabinets touch the top of the track, so we still had enough room to put some hooks on that track. i have my car creeper hanging on those hooks right below that cabinets

dh4645

chadgandy wrote:Awesome timing, and at the right price point for me. The only thing I need left to competely finish my garage is the Large Gear Box and I am done! I already have several Gladiator parts, to include the workbench that I got almost two years ago during a great fathers day discount event! I am extremely happy with these price points and the quality of the Gladiator systems (I cannot afford full retail). You get what you PAY for here folks.

retail is crazy expensive, amazon had a deal over the summer that was buy $100 in gladiator, get $20 off, so i made like 6 separate orders of apprx $100 to get the $20 off each time. it wouldnt let me order $600 and get $120 off on one order. ha

we had gotten the track & a cabinet the last 2 Christmases from relatives, but finally got around to puttin it up this summer. went all in. high quality stuff....all except the painted screws.

half of our track went into concrete block so we had to use those blue concrete screws anyway, but a few heads of the screws broke off when going into studs.

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner

I own a lot of Gladiator components including three wall cabinets, one tall floor cabinet, multiple baskets and bins and organizers.

All the Gladiator stuff is high quality, and if you care about the appearance of your workshop / garage this is a nice set. Yes you can find cheaper options - and if you don't care about the look and just want to pound a few nails in to the studs maybe this isn't for you, but not only does this stuff look nice - it is also very flexible.

I have probably 100 feet of the geartrack in my garage, and when I want to move things around I just slide the cabinets to where I want them, reposition a few hooks - and in a few seconds I have an entirely different setup. It is very versatile, and since Gladiator is one of the bigger garage storage brands out there you know you can find accessories in the future if you want to expand your system.

Considering one of their two door cabinets typically sell for $200+ and the single door cabinet (like this one) typically sells for over $150 by itself when not on sale... this is a pretty good deal.

I did pickup a couple of the two door units from Sears on Black Friday a couple of years ago for $99 each, but I don't suspect I'll be seeing a deal like that again anytime soon.

Costner

I noticed this package includes not only the end caps (the gray plastic caps that give the track a more finished look) but also the color matched screws.

I install all of my geartrack with the color matched screws and when you are done you can't even tell where the screws are. I've seen other installations that just used regular drywall screws but I don't recommend it - the black screws stand out and diminishes the "finished look" of the product.

Also, for those of you who are trying to compare this with other Gladiator products here are a few things to keep in mind:

* The cabinet here is the 24" fully welded cabinet. Gladiator offers a cheaper line of cabinets that need to be assembled, but this is the higher grade fully welded box.

* The Geartrack in this set comes in 32" pieces. If you shop for Geartrack online you will notice the stock size is 48" (and costs about $10-12 per section). I imagine the shorter sections included here are used to minimize shipping costs, but keep it in mind if you are comparison shopping.

Bonus installation tip: Although it is not required to pre-drill through the Geartrack when installing, I highly recommned that you do. I took the extra time to pre-drill and counterset the screwheads fully in the track which allows me to slide accesories and cabinets along the track without them catching on a screwhead. Of course, pre-drilling is essentially required anytime you are fastening within 3-4 inches of the end to minimize the chances of splitting or cracking the track. Either way I feel it just looks better and helps hide the screwheads.

dh4645

Costner wrote:I noticed this package includes not only the end caps (the gray plastic caps that give the track a more finished look) but also the color matched screws.

I install all of my geartrack with the color matched screws and when you are done you can't even tell where the screws are. I've seen other installations that just used regular drywall screws but I don't recommend it - the black screws stand out and diminishes the "finished look" of the product.

Also, for those of you who are trying to compare this with other Gladiator products here are a few things to keep in mind:

* The cabinet here is the 24" fully welded cabinet. Gladiator offers a cheaper line of cabinets that need to be assembled, but this is the higher grade fully welded box.

* The Geartrack in this set comes in 32" pieces. If you shop for Geartrack online you will notice the stock size is 48" (and costs about $10-12 per section). I imagine the shorter sections included here are used to minimize shipping costs, but keep it in mind if you are comparison shopping.

Bonus installation tip: Although it is not required to pre-drill through the Geartrack when installing, I highly recommned that you do. I took the extra time to pre-drill and counterset the screwheads fully in the track which allows me to slide accesories and cabinets along the track without them catching on a screwhead. Of course, pre-drilling is essentially required anytime you are fastening within 3-4 inches of the end to minimize the chances of splitting or cracking the track. Either way I feel it just looks better and helps hide the screwheads.

i agree about the screws being a nice finished look, but on a few of mine, the head broke off when screwing in. the only issue i've had with the gladiator quality. half of our track was put into concrete block, so we had to use the blue concrete screws anyway, as you can see in the above picture i posted.

sblionel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sblionel

I already have some of the larger Gladiator cabinets and the workbench top - I like them a lot. This deal is very similar to a $343.20 package at homedepot.com, though I don't see the color-matched screws mentioned there.

I ordered one of these sets as I could use some additional storage and tool holders.

gwar28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwar28
ggrote wrote:I bought this last time. Good quality stuff, and easy to install. Final product has a nice finished look.

That is a great tip. If you don't need the extra track it would be fine to use the track as a spacer. That is on my "To Do List" because I need a little bit more track. Overall, I would say it is expensive and there are cheaper DIY ways to do this. I would purchase it again because it was an easy install and looks GREAT!

dreadharn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadharn
mikemiracle wrote:Holy cow that's expensive for what it does. Even at the wood-azon price it's still too much. Couple of nails in a board hold up a rake just the same. A little paint, presto.

Sure, if you live in a ghetto.

Costner

dh4645 wrote:i agree about the screws being a nice finished look, but on a few of mine, the head broke off when screwing in. the only issue i've had with the gladiator quality. half of our track was put into concrete block, so we had to use the blue concrete screws anyway, as you can see in the above picture i posted.

Yes for concrete block (or solid poured concrete) the included screws won't work. I suppose you could always use a little paint to touch them up (yea - that is something I would do), or alternatively you can just align the hooks and cabinets over the screws to hide them.

On my color-matched screws I did have a couple that had excess paint in the screw threads which resulted in me camming-out (striping) the screw while trying to install. Out of the 80 or so screws, I'd say that happened 2 or 3 times - so it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I actually wish they offered teh screws with a Torx head rather than Phillips, but we can't have everything!

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

I do not need to store much, so I purchased a smaller version of this: Hook rail. Works great to hold a shovel, tree trimmer, weed whacker etc. off of the ground and together. I have only 5 grabbers but mine also has hooks behind them giving even more utility. I could not find my exact model for some reason(this model has plastic and seems to be flimsy per reviews), but I think I paid about $10 20 years ago.

I have a 'finished' garage meaning it has drywall. So to make it easier to find the studs and for strength, I first attached a long thin (1") piece of wood to the wall, then attached the my hook system to the wood. Very strong.

csnyder5170

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csnyder5170

This looks like a bait and switch..what you see is not what you get. Eight small sections of wall mounting are not helpful if your "organizing'. What you need is the stuff shown in the picture. Longer sections are easier to locate to catch wall studs and to keep tools together. The cabinet is of little use and would need to mounted lower than the tools. This is a waste of money.

themdg

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themdg

This is an excellent setup for the garage with exactly 8 tools.

Wootlists are silly.

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle
dreadharn wrote:Sure, if you live in a ghetto.

What do you have against ghettos Mr. Rockefeller?

reedclr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reedclr
csnyder5170 wrote:This looks like a bait and switch..what you see is not what you get. Eight small sections of wall mounting are not helpful if your "organizing'. What you need is the stuff shown in the picture. Longer sections are easier to locate to catch wall studs and to keep tools together. The cabinet is of little use and would need to mounted lower than the tools. This is a waste of money.

I see 8 sections in the picture, the longer sections are made of 2 each

beach613

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beach613

Who is the manufacturer of this product?

taylor6400

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taylor6400
reedclr wrote:I see 8 sections in the picture, the longer sections are made of 2 each

Thats what i thought too. 32" sections should hit your studs just right to be able to tie 2 together on the same stud to make a continuous length. thats supposing you can screw them right at the end i guess. Im contemplating grabbing this.

ggrote

taylor6400 wrote:Thats what i thought too. 32" sections should hit your studs just right to be able to tie 2 together on the same stud to make a continuous length. thats supposing you can screw them right at the end i guess. Im contemplating grabbing this.

Yeah, on my long runs I predrilled the holes in the ends of the pieces at a slight angle to make sure I caught the studs well.

Costner

beach613 wrote:Who is the manufacturer of this product?

Gladiator Garageworks... which is a Whirlpool Corporation company.

http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/brands/gladiator.aspx

If you are curious about after the sale support, I'll tell you it is top notch.

I was given the Gladiator tool caddy as a gift but after opening it realized the rubberized coating on one of the hooks was cut. I contacted them via email, they confirmed my details - and they shipped a replacement to me within a few days. They really do stand behind the product.

instank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages instank

I was worried about the company going out of business with me invested in all these Geartracks! That was five years ago, and I haven't had to even tighten a screw since I installed it.

DO NOT USE THE COLOR MATCHED SCREWS!!!! They suck. They will strip and break on you. I used galvanized gold deck screws and you can't even see them, especially when you load your items on the Geartrack.

I'm "that guy" that wants everything to match, but seriously, screw color don't matter much!

ggrote

instank wrote:I was worried about the company going out of business with me invested in all these Geartracks! That was five years ago, and I haven't had to even tighten a screw since I installed it.

DO NOT USE THE COLOR MATCHED SCREWS!!!! They suck. They will strip and break on you. I used galvanized gold deck screws and you can't even see them, especially when you load your items on the Geartrack.

I'm "that guy" that wants everything to match, but seriously, screw color don't matter much!

I used the included screws (which, interestingly, were of two slightly different types) and had no issues going through drywall into studs. Maybe the screws have been updated in the past five years?

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
biggunz2004 wrote:I spent way too much time researching this a few months back and was shocked by the prices to organize a garage. In the end, I found Holeyrail to be the best fit for my garage organization project for a decent price.

Interesting, thanks for posting that, it's a very simple system indeed, and very affordable, too.

It's not quite as complete as a system as this Woot kit, though, and I wonder if it's actually less expensive once all the parts are in.

captainbeefcake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainbeefcake

The problem I have when using a stud finder to mount stuff like this is that all it does is point at me and beep. Anybody have any other ways to identify studs in a wall?

ggrote

captainbeefcake wrote:The problem I have when using a stud finder to mount stuff like this is that all it does is point at me and beep. Anybody have any other ways to identify studs in a wall?

I use the age-old tried-and-true method of a finish nail and hammer. After all, those little holes will all get covered up by the track! ;-)

instank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages instank
ggrote wrote:I used the included screws (which, interestingly, were of two slightly different types) and had no issues going through drywall into studs. Maybe the screws have been updated in the past five years?

I hope so, still not worth the risk IMHO.
http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-GarageWorks-GAAC0232RY-Color-Matched-32-Pack/product-reviews/B0015IWWCA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1