WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)

Speed to First Woot:
2m 35.997s
First Sucker:
ahbalder
Last Wooter to Woot:
js20737
Last Purchase:
9 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 39% of Woot.com Woots
Top 17% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 6% of Woot.com Woots
Top 3% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 28% first woot
  • 11% second woot
  • 26% < 10 woots
  • 16% < 25 woots
  • 19% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 23% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 8% one year old
  • 68% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 93% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

1%
2%
1%
1%
2%
3%
6%
6%
7%
9%
9%
6%
7%
5%
4%
4%
4%
4%
3%
3%
3%
2%
3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Item: SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (3 Tuners)
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $13 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme


quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Read all about it at the Product Page
Read some reviews over at NewEgg

quantumparticle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages quantumparticle

Seriously? I literally just got one of these delivered TODAY from Amazon, and paid $150.

I must say, it is a pretty nice device. Certainly worth it, and an awesome addition to my HTPC setup. Can save you $10-20/month from having to rent a cable box from your provider as well. Just get the CableCard ($2-3/mo) and slap it in this thing, good to go.

BTW, the iOS compatibility may not be as good as stated on the box/website. Everything else works great though.

Fnord.

davefattal


quality posts: 3 Private Messages davefattal

Does this work with a tuning adapter for the SDV channels?


Dave

HI

hitchens97


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hitchens97

Can this record direct to a Synology NAS?

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3123 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a video

dhess


quality posts: 8 Private Messages dhess

I purchased one of these from Newegg for $130 in August when I moved into my new neighborhood with 75/50 Fios.

A few major points

- Only Windows Media Center can decode premium channels like HBO with a Cable Card in the HDHR Prime.

- If you can't use WMC, you need to use a PVR service (NextPVR is a great open-source one that works with XBMC, but it's still jittery quality while playing back non-transcoded recordings, it seems.

-You will need to purchase a yearly or monthly package to a schedule program like Schedules Direct, so you can know what's on at certain times.

-Cable cards are like $3-8 per month, instead of $20-30 for the company's DVR. You will save money, but it will take some work.

-You need a set-top-box for on-demand content, but we just use a Chromecast and our Ouya to take care of that.

-My set up is HDHR -> NextPVR -> MCEBuddy to mp4 -> PLEX on all devices. My recordings are in high definition and commercials are skipped.


4/5 on this one

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3123 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at jr.com

dhess


quality posts: 8 Private Messages dhess
hitchens97 wrote:Can this record direct to a Synology NAS?



This isn't the recording device - think of it as a set-top-box that can't do on demand that can watch 3 different channels at once with a cable card installed (Can be watched by more than 3 devices.)

rampman10


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampman10

I don't see an HDMI port. How does this interact with the TV in high definition without an HDMI?

Is it only wireless with smart tv's?

I have been looking for something that will allow me to watch my cable or media from my laptop on any tv in my house. Will this do that? Can I use this to send video from my pc to my tv, or only from my tv to my pc?

I would think there would be more devices out there to help with this that would keep people from having to rent whole home dvr's.

xiatian80


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xiatian80

Can I still use this device in Vancouver Canada? Thanks

trav2100


quality posts: 0 Private Messages trav2100

I assume this won't work if I have Windows 8?

gantt


quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
rampman10 wrote:I don't see an HDMI port. How does this interact with the TV in high definition without an HDMI?



I don't think it interacts with your TV directly. I don't think you even need a TV. It takes the cable signal and makes the video available via your network.

stirfriedpanda


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stirfriedpanda
trav2100 wrote:I assume this won't work if I have Windows 8?



This should work with Win 8 Pro or Win 8 Home but you have to purchase the media center add on if you have home. This will not work with Win 8 Enterprise as enterprise does not have media center and you cannot, at this time, purchase the media center add on for it.

lx003n


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lx003n
stirfriedpanda wrote:This should work with Win 8 Pro or Win 8 Home but you have to purchase the media center add on if you have home. This will not work with Win 8 Enterprise as enterprise does not have media center and you cannot, at this time, purchase the media center add on for it.



not true there are open source pvr options available

there is NextPVR, MediaPortal, and MythTV (also SageTV which was java based but then acquired by Google Fiber in 2011)

looks like there are some issues with getting the channels (Electronic Programming Guide) as well as transcoding for some devices.

however this is nothing that a little hacking wont fix.

btw has anybody had experience using these things with DLNA?

yourbuddypal


quality posts: 2 Private Messages yourbuddypal

I picked up a SiliconDust dual awhile back. What does this one do that the dual can't? What would be the benefit in upgrading to this model?

gantt


quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
yourbuddypal wrote:I picked up a SiliconDust dual awhile back. What does this one do that the dual can't? What would be the benefit in upgrading to this model?



The Prime uses a CableCard to be able to decode encrypted cable channels. Some providers, like Comcast in my area, are encrypting just about everything. Also, this has 3 tuners vs. 2 in the Dual.

colebeck


quality posts: 11 Private Messages colebeck

I bought one of these after my good experience with a dual-tune HDHR. The Prime performs great, records HD content on all three tuners simultaneously with not issues.
My only gripe is that I cannot get it to work across a wireless network with Media Center. My HTPC is hardwired directly to the unit and tuners are recognized fine, but for some reason no matter what I have tried Media Center will not recognize the tuners wirelessly on my other PCs. Not a huge deal, because as others have stated there are alternatives. If I want to watch TV on my office computer I just throw on the software that comes with the system, HDHR QuickTV.
It also doesn't work with OnDemand or HBO OnDemand, etc. so that is a bummer you still need to have a set-top box around.

DaZoneRanger


quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I hope this is a sign that they will be offering the dual channel tuners soon. I have one, but would like 4 tuners, as there are sometimes 3 or 4 shows that I want to record at the same time. (Yeah, I watch a lot of TV!)

rampman10


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampman10
gantt wrote:I don't think it interacts with your TV directly. I don't think you even need a TV. It takes the cable signal and makes the video available via your network.



Then I guess ? this is not what I want. I want something that interacts with any network device, smart tv's included. The specs say that it does interact with tv's, but someone else left a comment that the wireless did not always work. I don't understand why there are not some easy to find devices out there to make all my smart tv's and pc's communicate which will let me watch anywhere I go in the house. I cannot believe they don't exist and are not easier to find.

Craig234


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Really not sure if I need this.

I do have Comcast lots of cable, but they don't deserve it.

I have DVR and set top.

GlowingBlueMist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GlowingBlueMist

Good tuner but the price is still a little high here. I can order it new from Amazon.com for $78.49 and that includes FREE shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004HO58SO

Yes, my first one was from Woot a while back...


[MOD: That's the Dual, not the PRIME.]

Sorry, the moderator was correct I looked up the dual tuner by mistake.

hlpimfalling


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hlpimfalling

I wouldn't go for this tuner as SiliconDust should be releasing a new version soon with built in h.264 encoding which will allow a lot of dlna players to decode on hardware. Tablets and other small devices will benefit greatly from this.

jeffmcpherson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffmcpherson

Yes, this does work with Win 8 Home, but as you say you'll need to purchase Win 8 "Pro Pak" You should note that the "Pro Pak" upgrade cost is not trivial . . . it's $94.99 to buy the unlocking code from Amazon or $99.99 to buy it from Microsoft.

We have this tuner and it generally works great. We use it with two Windows 7 cheapie notebooks and one Windows 8 cheapie notebook. Only drawback we've observed is that if we try to watch or record HD on more than one tuner, we get pixelation and "weak signal" error message. This might have to do with our house WiFi speed, although I've switched one PC to powerline adapter data speed and have seen only modest improvement when trying to watch or record more than one HD channel at a time

stirfriedpanda wrote:This should work with Win 8 Pro or Win 8 Home but you have to purchase the media center add on if you have home. This will not work with Win 8 Enterprise as enterprise does not have media center and you cannot, at this time, purchase the media center add on for it.



driver552


quality posts: 0 Private Messages driver552
davefattal wrote:Does this work with a tuning adapter for the SDV channels?Dave

Yes, it has a usb port to connect to the tuning adapter.

driver552


quality posts: 0 Private Messages driver552
hitchens97 wrote:Can this record direct to a Synology NAS?

If Windows Media Center can see the NAS it can record to it.

driver552


quality posts: 0 Private Messages driver552
trav2100 wrote:I assume this won't work if I have Windows 8?

It works fine with windows 8 Pro if you have the Media Center add on.

Turiya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turiya
dhess wrote:I purchased one of these from Newegg for $130 in August when I moved into my new neighborhood with 75/50 Fios.

A few major points

- Only Windows Media Center can decode premium channels like HBO with a Cable Card in the HDHR Prime.

- If you can't use WMC, you need to use a PVR service (NextPVR is a great open-source one that works with XBMC, but it's still jittery quality while playing back non-transcoded recordings, it seems.

-You will need to purchase a yearly or monthly package to a schedule program like Schedules Direct, so you can know what's on at certain times.

-Cable cards are like $3-8 per month, instead of $20-30 for the company's DVR. You will save money, but it will take some work.

-You need a set-top-box for on-demand content, but we just use a Chromecast and our Ouya to take care of that.

-My set up is HDHR -> NextPVR -> MCEBuddy to mp4 -> PLEX on all devices. My recordings are in high definition and commercials are skipped.


4/5 on this one



If you're using WMC, you don't need to purchase any kind of guide subscription.

For those of you looking to purchase multiple to use with the same WMC based HTPC, be aware that WMC has a "hard" limit of 4 tuners per source type (cable card, OTA, etc.)

You can get an add-on called TunerSalad (http://www.mychannellogos.com/tunersalad) that will increase this limit to 32.

acraigl


quality posts: 37 Private Messages acraigl

I had a SiliconDdust HDHomeRun (dual QAM tuners) and it worked great. I jumped on the Media Center cable-card thing early with Ceton, and recently upgraded to their 6-tuner external ethernet device. Similar in theory and works great... one cablecard and ability to record 6 channels at once!

If you're simultaneous-record needs are less than my own, this is a great product at this price.

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
davefattal wrote:Does this work with a tuning adapter for the SDV channels?

YES!

woottoady


quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
rampman10 wrote:I don't see an HDMI port. How does this interact with the TV in high definition without an HDMI?

Through your LAN or wireless.

Is it only wireless with smart tv's?

Yes, but other wireless DLNA devices can deliver content to your TV, for example a PS4/4. If your DVD player has WiFi, it may have DLNA capability (check your specs)

I have been looking for something that will allow me to watch my cable or media from my laptop on any tv in my house. Will this do that? Can I use this to send video from my pc to my tv, or only from my tv to my pc?

Just add a simple DLNA server app to your PC, KooKaRoo has a free one.

nexusheli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nexusheli
hlpimfalling wrote:I wouldn't go for this tuner as SiliconDust should be releasing a new version soon with built in h.264 encoding which will allow a lot of dlna players to decode on hardware. Tablets and other small devices will benefit greatly from this.



While you're correct on the benefits, the new model is not able to use a cable card, which means OTA and unencrypted cable only. That should be good for 3 or 4 channels for most people...

ctviggen


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen
dhess wrote:
-You will need to purchase a yearly or monthly package to a schedule program like Schedules Direct, so you can know what's on at certain times.



I've had these for years and have never paid for any schedule program. I just search for what I want to watch.

I use a program to remove commercials, but I had to buy it.

If you have one or two "TVs" (I used a projector), and can put a computer near each TV, then they are great. If you have more than two TVs, using these becomes expensive, as each TV needs a computer or a so-called "extender". Also, note that if a TV show is copy protected, you have to watch it using the same computer as you recorded it.

With these caveats, the device is great.

ctviggen


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen

Another caveat is that Windows Media Center has some quirks. I've had many different computers and TVs, and all the systems develop a "black screen of death" where the system simply refuses to respond. You have to perform a hard boot. Also, I've yet to figure out how to get my computer to sleep and wake up only to record, then go back to sleep. And I've had the system for years. I'd like to save some power, but I haven't figured out yet how to do it.

Even if the system doesn't develop the "black screen of death", you do have to reboot periodically, every few days usually, else things go awry.

jdandison


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdandison
davefattal wrote:Does this work with a tuning adapter for the SDV channels?


Dave



Yes it does, there's a USB port on the back for one. TWC will give you one without a fee.

comicscars


quality posts: 1 Private Messages comicscars

OK, I'm not sure I understand yet, but will this work with satellite TV provides like Dish or DirectTV? I have Dish.

nexusheli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nexusheli

This *will* work on TWC, however your local CSR will know absolutely nothing about how to get it to work.

I've owned one for over a year and have used it quite successfully to help keep my Time Warner Cable bill down in a 3 TV household. It's actually pretty foolproof once you get it up and running. It's the getting it up and running that's full of fools.

If you're on TWC, when you call your rep tell them you need a cable card *AND* digital tuning adapter. If you call and tell them what you're using and ask them how to get it to work they'll only send you cable card and then when you try to activate you'll get nothing and the 2 reps in the activation center who actually know what they're doing will spend hours trying to figure out the problem until they realize you don't have all the hardware you need.

The tuning adapter is the size of a cable box and adds a jumble of wires as the cable comes into the tuning adapter, back out to the HD HomeRun, and then also has a USB cable that goes from itself to the HDHR. Two power cables, plus the ethernet cable from the HDHR and you see how things quickly get messy. Find a place to hide it, but make sure you plug it into a power strip so you can reboot it the first few times you have to mess with it all.

I have mine fed into a net-top computer I use as a home server running Windows 7 with media center. Everything is hard-wired in my house via cat6, so I have 2 xbox (one for me, one for my BIL who was living with us) set up as media center extenders. What is the plural of xbox anyway? Xboxes? Xbii? That's 2 cable boxes I don't have to pay a monthly fee for, and it saves even more money as you can set any show to record via the xbox to the net-top (I have a 2tb drive hooked up) so I don't have to pay for extra DVR boxes or "whole home" DVR.

I envisioned game systems on all 3 TV's and no cable boxes at all, but realized that's too much to ask of the wife, and I'd never get to play whatever I hooked up to the main TV. I can also tap into it via the wireless on my laptop anywhere in the house should I want to watch hockey in the living room while the woman watches Criminal Minds on the actual cable box.

nexusheli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nexusheli
ctviggen wrote:Another caveat is that Windows Media Center has some quirks. I've had many different computers and TVs, and all the systems develop a "black screen of death" where the system simply refuses to respond. You have to perform a hard boot. Also, I've yet to figure out how to get my computer to sleep and wake up only to record, then go back to sleep. And I've had the system for years. I'd like to save some power, but I haven't figured out yet how to do it.

Even if the system doesn't develop the "black screen of death", you do have to reboot periodically, every few days usually, else things go awry.



I've never had this problem in over a year of owning my Prime hooked up to a Win7 Media Center machine. The only time I reboot the computer is when I run windows updates every couple of months, and the Prime hasn't been rebooted since I moved 10 months ago.

PocketBrain


quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain
woottoady wrote:Through your LAN or wireless.
Is it only wireless with smart tv's?

Yes, but other wireless DLNA devices can deliver content to your TV, for example a PS4/4. If your DVD player has WiFi, it may have DLNA capability (check your specs)

I have been looking for something that will allow me to watch my cable or media from my laptop on any tv in my house. Will this do that? Can I use this to send video from my pc to my tv, or only from my tv to my pc?

Just add a simple DLNA server app to your PC, KooKaRoo has a free one.


PS3/4? Anybody here use it with their PS3?