ften

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ften
cycokiller wrote:It will.. but will most likely require a third-party channel and/or software like Plex or another UPnP/DLNA client/server. Some of those applications also require you to run parts on a computer also... so additional hardware may be needed as well.

Direct live streaming from the HDHomeRun to Plex channel on the Roku doesn't work anymore. I was looking at getting a HDHomeRun for Plex/Roku, but after reading the Plex forums I went with a Simple.tv .

jstanley1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jstanley1

My personal experience:

I purchased one of these (same model) several months ago.

For me, the computer end of things was fine. My computer and Windows Media Center easily recognized the device. I primarily use Media Center on my Xbox for playback. The computer records the shows, the Xbox plays them back and the program guide and Live TV works great too.

The challenge was with my cable company, Bright House. It required multiple phone calls and an in-home visit as well as two trips to their local branch office to finally get the cable card, tuning adapter, and my Bright House account authorization all working. Primarily due to mistakes that were made along the way by Bright House. Such as giving me an old single channel cable card, not initially providing a tuning adapter, and issues in their system with the authorization process required by Media Center.

A degree of patience may be required as it took many days of effort for me to get things fully working (all issues related to the cable provider). Tech challenged folks beware that this is not necessarily going to be plug and play depending on how you intend to use it.

Since that time everything has been working perfectly. I've never had to reset or power cycle the device and it is constantly recording multiple channels of HD content throughout the day every day.

I now have around 100 HD channels, and my total cable bill is $13 a month including taxes as our community offers "free" standard cable. I'm a happy customer and I am pleased with the device and would recommend it to those who understand the potential issues and how to solve them.

chizow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chizow
driver552 wrote:If Windows Media Center can see the NAS it can record to it.

You may need to use iSCSI mode to record to a NAS as WMC does not support Live TV recording to networked drive shares.

chizow

stirfriedpanda wrote:This should work with Win 8 Pro or Win 8 Home but you have to purchase the media center add on if you have home. This will not work with Win 8 Enterprise as enterprise does not have media center and you cannot, at this time, purchase the media center add on for it.

To clarify:

Windows 8 Pro > Windows Media Center Pack = $10

Windows 8 Home > Windows Pro Pack (includes WMC) = $99

arthurjay19977

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arthurjay19977
rampman10 wrote:I don't see an HDMI port. How does this interact with the TV in high definition without an HDMI?

Is it only wireless with smart tv's?

I have been looking for something that will allow me to watch my cable or media from my laptop on any tv in my house. Will this do that? Can I use this to send video from my pc to my tv, or only from my tv to my pc?

I would think there would be more devices out there to help with this that would keep people from having to rent whole home dvr's.

It connects to your network via the ethernet port. You install a program (tuner comes with a CD) on any PC you want to control the tuner. Other computers on the network can access the WMC-recorded programs with no trouble.

I use Windows Media Center and couldn't be happier. I have a home theater PC (HTPC) I built especially for connecting to this thing using a low-wattage CPU with 2 TB of storage. You do not need significant processing power to run an HTPC and the interface is SO MUCH NICER than the crap Charter or Time Warner Cable will give you with one of their DVRs.

The only problem I have is that I can't watch/record three HD channels simultaneously (network limitation)

chizow

PocketBrain wrote:PS3/4? Anybody here use it with their PS3?

It works with PS3 via DLNA, and is one of the few DLNA devices that will play premium encrypted channels like HBO, MAX etc.

The tuning/guide system is not good however, you have to scroll through all of your channels with no easy way to jump to a specific channel. I believe SD is working on an app for PS3 as well as Android and Samsung SmartTVs that will make this easier/better.

ptelligence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptelligence
davefattal wrote:Does this work with a tuning adapter for the SDV channels?

Dave

Yes it can do that Dave.

ptelligence

chizow wrote:It works with PS3 via DLNA, and is one of the few DLNA devices that will play premium encrypted channels like HBO, MAX etc.

The tuning/guide system is not good however, you have to scroll through all of your channels with no easy way to jump to a specific channel. I believe SD is working on an app for PS3 as well as Android and Samsung SmartTVs that will make this easier/better.

Awesome! I've had one for 2 years and I wasn't aware of that. Googled PS3 setup instructions.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=14189

chizow

ptelligence wrote:Awesome! I've had one for 2 years and I wasn't aware of that. Googled PS3 setup instructions.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=14189

Yes it isn't very intuitive, you have to do the channel scan on the SD Setup App as I guess it writes that to some kind of look-up table instead of pulling from a regional Guide like WMC does.

This will also allow you to watch on older SmartTVs like 2012 or older Samsungs via DLNA (Green Prime icon), but you can't get Premium channels without a newer TV that supports the native SD app.

ptelligence

RogerDucky wrote:This thing needs cable service, a "M" cable card from the cable company, and a computer. Since you have no cable service, then this won't work for you.

You should be able to hook this up to an antenna to get Over-the-air TV, but you will need a PC with Windows Media Center or other compatible device to watch.

egeek84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egeek84

New to Woot and so glad I found out about this deal, was about to pull the trigger on Amazon for 50 bucks mroe! I really can't wait to get this and set it up. I think the hardest part will be going to my local Comcast office and then getting the cablecard activated. I have a gigabit dual band router and a gigabit network card in my desktop and everything is connected via cat 6 ethernet and so I am planning on using Windows Media Center through my xBox to watch TV. I hope everything goes swimmingly!

ptelligence

egeek84 wrote:New to Woot and so glad I found out about this deal, was about to pull the trigger on Amazon for 50 bucks mroe! I really can't wait to get this and set it up. I think the hardest part will be going to my local Comcast office and then getting the cablecard activated. I have a gigabit dual band router and a gigabit network card in my desktop and everything is connected via cat 6 ethernet and so I am planning on using Windows Media Center through my xBox to watch TV. I hope everything goes swimmingly!

One recommendation that I have for setting up the cable card is to plug plug it directly into the main cable line for the activation hit. Once it's activated, make sure it is in a position where it gets a good signal. It pretty much has a built in 3 way splitter.

vhfer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vhfer

Create a batch file someplace on the WMC computer and put a shortcut to it on the desktop. When Windows Media Center dies, right click the icon and say "Run as administrator." The batch file needs the following in it:

REM Copyright 2013 Tom Peters. Permission to use given to any/all persons with attribution.
@ECHO IMPORTANT: Must run as Administrator
@echo ===============================================================

@echo Restarting certain Windows Media Center services

@echo Shutdown
@echo.
@echo ehRecvr = Windows Media Center Receiver Service (but this may fail)
net stop ehRecvr
@echo.
@echo ehSched = Windows Media Center Scheduler Service
net stop ehSched
@echo.
@echo WMPNetworkSvc = Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
net stop WMPNetworkSvc

@echo Startup
@echo.
@echo ehRecvr = Windows Media Center Receiver Service (but this may fail)
net start ehRecvr
@echo.
@echo WMPNetworkSvc = Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
net start WMPNetworkSvc
@echo.
@echo ehSched = Windows Media Center Scheduler Service
net start ehSched
@echo.

pause

ctviggen wrote:Another caveat is that Windows Media Center has some quirks. I've had many different computers and TVs, and all the systems develop a "black screen of death" where the system simply refuses to respond. You have to perform a hard boot. Also, I've yet to figure out how to get my computer to sleep and wake up only to record, then go back to sleep. And I've had the system for years. I'd like to save some power, but I haven't figured out yet how to do it.

Even if the system doesn't develop the "black screen of death", you do have to reboot periodically, every few days usually, else things go awry.

Have a lot of fun!

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
eastcobbler wrote:I love my dual-tuner, but maybe y'all can help with a tech question. I can only record one program at a time. If both tuners are recording, the programs are pixelated and garbled as if there isn't enough processing power. Any tips?
I'm doing this on a laptop with Windows Media Center.

My guess is that there's a problem with your antenna's signal. I have the dual and can record two programs no problem. The only time I ever see pixelation is if I have a week antenna signal. I suppose, another posibility would be that you don't have a separate video card capable of HD TV viewing (i.e. Computer only has the onboard graphics processor, and no secondary card/unit). I'm using Windows 7, by the way, with 3.0gh dual core Pentium processor and a cheap, low power, non-gaming HD video card.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
hugehead83 wrote:In short, I think you need a faster PC. If you had an SSD in your PC with an i5/7 CPU on the same gig-E LAN as your dual tuner, it would work fine. Old school platter drives (especially laptops) cannot physically move fast enough to write data for multiple HD shows using the compression specified.

There are many many factors here, but start your troubleshooting with the easiest fixes

False. I record all my shows to an old school hard drive and I can record two shows at once, perfectly, no problamo. Think about what you're saying...a hard drive can copy two 6 gigabyte files onto it from another source in a matter of minutes, but it isn't fast enough to do so over the span of an hour? Also, I'm using a Dell Optiplex 755 with a dual core pentium processor running at 3.0 ghz. No need for a modern processor. My machine is fast.

mrusinak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrusinak
egeek84 wrote:New to Woot and so glad I found out about this deal, was about to pull the trigger on Amazon for 50 bucks mroe! I really can't wait to get this and set it up. I think the hardest part will be going to my local Comcast office and then getting the cablecard activated. I have a gigabit dual band router and a gigabit network card in my desktop and everything is connected via cat 6 ethernet and so I am planning on using Windows Media Center through my xBox to watch TV. I hope everything goes swimmingly!

I bought the Prime shortly after it came out, and the cableCARD was by and large pretty painless (through Comcast). My only advice would be to make sure your computer is on and you can get to the Prime's IP address. You'll be calling comcast to get things activated, so you'll be checking the status / trying video - it really amounts to just sitting on the phone for 30min+ with a tech telling them "that didn't work" until they eventually get it activated correctly.

Once that's done, you're basically golden! Make sure to grab the latest firmware; DLNA was a this-summer addition if I recall correctly.

This reminds me that I really need to get around to fixing my recording PC...

gchung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gchung
dadrepus wrote:The duel is the only one that will work with the Mac client they developed for EyeTv which is a Mac only DVR. They also have their own guide service.

Take it from someone who owns 5 macs at home. The EyeTV on Mac OSX is a horrible experience. I installed Windows 7 and WMC on the Mac Mini (that previously had OSX and EyeTV), and it was orders of magnitude better.

I'm actually very impressed with how well Windows/WMC works.

gchung

ptelligence wrote:You should be able to hook this up to an antenna to get Over-the-air TV, but you will need a PC with Windows Media Center or other compatible device to watch.

Yes, I am able to use the SiliconDust product with OTA (no cable) just fine. With Windows/WMC, I can record one signal while watching another.

RutRow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RutRow
ptelligence wrote:You should be able to hook this up to an antenna to get Over-the-air TV, but you will need a PC with Windows Media Center or other compatible device to watch.

I purchased this HR prime model several months ago to add additional tuners for my networked media centers PCs. I was hoping to use this stickily with a OTA signal like the homerun dual tuner but I was unable to get the tuners to work with a OTA signal. As I tried to research an answer it appeared that the prime was limited to use with a CableCard and cable service only. Can anyone shed light on the HomeRun Primes compatibility with over the air reception?

fphredd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fphredd
kevlar51 wrote:I guess for starters, was your cablecard properly activated with Verizon?

That part, yes. Just seems to be hit or miss when it works. Guess I'll head back to the forum (yes, I've previously been there, and with that, it's been on the shelf for a while, now).
thx

rturrentine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rturrentine
sflesch wrote:I recently bought a Roku and have Win7 with Media Center with a Hauppauge tuner. I haven't figured out how to get the signal from my WMC to any other devices. Will this essentially skip some of this and send the signal to any compatible device on my network?

Will it send to the Roku? Or do I just need an app on my WMC PC to send the OTA signals to the Roku?

I used the Dual HD Homerun, WMC, and Plex server on my PC. I then use the Plex channel on my Roku to watch recordings. It works well.

rturrentine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rturrentine
dhess wrote:I have Windows Media Center installed on a Win 7 Ultimate machine and on a Win 7 Pro machine and neither can see the HDHomeRun, unfortunately.

Ports are forwarded correctly, UPNP is on, so is DLNA.

Are you trying to connect through a wired connection or wireless? I had issues where my connection would go away over Wifi (even though I could still ping it and use IE to see it). Turned out to be a setting on my router. I posted the solution in the SiliconDust forum but I can't find it there anymore. I had to set the channel width on my Linksys to be 20MHz instead of Auto (20/40).

thehomelessguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehomelessguy
hitchens97 wrote:Can this record direct to a Synology NAS?

Last time I tried Synology did not have the guide information working so while, technically yes, you'd have to manually set everything.

W00tyMcW00tster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W00tyMcW00tster

Wooted an HR Prime a while back. It works ok on my win7 PCs and laptops. But I've never been able to get my "digital" channels - i.e. 104-800+ - to work with the cablecard. I can get a couple of HD channels, but I get 50 or more with a DVR.
My cable provider is WOW - WideOpenWest.

Any help?

ehansen9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehansen9
lx003n wrote:has anybody had experience using these things with DLNA?

Yes, it works fairly well over DLNA if you are on a wired connection. Really strong wifi required if you go that route since it's an MPEG2 stream.

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren

Kevlar ad Raven, thank you so much for the great info. I just bought this device.

I actually bought an Actiontex moca router a while back to work as a bridge to my smart tv ad hopefully a WAP on the opposite corner of my house, but I haven't been able to get it configured just right yet.

I'll try to get this done on my own with help from Google, but I may PM you at some point if I stall out when configuring the XBOX MCE startup, or the Moca router. Feel free to ignore me! ;)

Thanks!

sMaRtjOcK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sMaRtjOcK
RutRow wrote:I purchased this HR prime model several months ago to add additional tuners for my networked media centers PCs. I was hoping to use this stickily with a OTA signal like the homerun dual tuner but I was unable to get the tuners to work with a OTA signal. As I tried to research an answer it appeared that the prime was limited to use with a CableCard and cable service only. Can anyone shed light on the HomeRun Primes compatibility with over the air reception?

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH OVER THE AIR RECEPTION!

Sorry for yelling, but I read through the entire discussion and several people have said that this unit works with an antenna. They must have the HDHomeRun Dual or older model, not the HDHomeRun Prime. There is a huge difference between the two. It will not work with an antenna. This also will not work with analog channels, satellite, or IPTV services. This only works with digital cable via the cable provider's CableCard or M-CARD. Don't believe me, just read through this handy comparison guide SiliconeDust created and posted on their website.

http://www.silicondust.com/images/hdhomerun/comparison_guide.pdf

hexnut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hexnut

Is it possible to use this on multiple PC's without stepping on each other (ie; While recording 3 programs at once if someone tries to tune live tv on a 4th channel will they get an alert that all tuners are in use?)

hexnut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hexnut

I called Comcast and got them to confirm that the first cablecard is free.

gchung

sMaRtjOcK wrote:THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH OVER THE AIR RECEPTION!

Sorry for yelling, but I read through the entire discussion and several people have said that this unit works with an antenna. They must have the HDHomeRun Dual or older model, not the HDHomeRun Prime. There is a huge difference between the two. It will not work with an antenna. This also will not work with analog channels, satellite, or IPTV services. This only works with digital cable via the cable provider's CableCard or M-CARD. Don't believe me, just read through this handy comparison guide SiliconeDust created and posted on their website.

Nice, thanks for the clarification!

W00tyMcW00tster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W00tyMcW00tster
hexnut wrote:Is it possible to use this on multiple PC's without stepping on each other (ie; While recording 3 programs at once if someone tries to tune live tv on a 4th channel will they get an alert that all tuners are in use?)

Yup!

Dragonfly47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dragonfly47

As a user of SiliconDust products for many years I have to say that the amount of misinformation on this thread is staggering.

If you bought this item, please do yourself a favor and head over to the manufacturer's support form at http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/ where folks know what they're talking about.

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin
sMaRtjOcK wrote:THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH OVER THE AIR RECEPTION!

Wish I would have read your comment before buying. I read all the comments that OTA worked and pulled the trigger. I just got this in the mail and was trying to get through the setup--to no avail.

I only have OTA that I use with Windows Media Center. Now what are my options for returning this...? >.<

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

msgitlin wrote:Wish I would have read your comment before buying. I read all the comments that OTA worked and pulled the trigger. I just got this in the mail and was trying to get through the setup--to no avail.

I only have OTA that I use with Windows Media Center. Now what are my options for returning this...? >.<

I'm very sorry to hear that you're encountering issues with your purchase. I would recommend that you contact SiliconDust Customer Support and inquire about your purchase and what options you might have (or solutions?)

If they're unable to help you, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com. They'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you might have about your order.

Also, please check out our Woot FAQ for further information.

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin
ROGETRAY wrote:I'm very sorry to hear that you're encountering issues with your purchase. I would recommend that you contact SiliconDust Customer Support and inquire about your purchase and what options you might have (or solutions?)

If they're unable to help you, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com. They'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you might have about your order.

Also, please check out our Woot FAQ for further information.

Well... SiliconDust was rather unhelpful, so looks like you'll have an email heading your way. Thanks!