Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2779 Private Messages lichme

Item: Pioneer 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver
Price: $299.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
10/2/2013 - $329.99 - 20 comment(s)
9/4/2013 - $329.99 - 26 comment(s)
9/4/2013 - $329.99 - 26 comment(s)

lichme

quality posts: 2779 Private Messages lichme

quantumparticle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages quantumparticle

I <3 this receiver. If I didn't already own one, I'd buy it again.

Fnord.

tommyvelocity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommyvelocity

I have the 1120-K from 3 years ago and love it.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3367 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

OK reviews (3 out of 5 eggs) over at newegg.com

gino4cal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gino4cal

hmm. . . any idea if I can stream music from my Android if I DON'T have an HTC? This receiver doesn't seem to have to bluetooth connectivity. I subscribe to google Play and I'd love to stream off my phone while at home.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3367 Private Messages conanthelibrarian
gino4cal wrote:hmm. . . any idea if I can stream music from my Android if I DON'T have an HTC? This receiver doesn't seem to have to bluetooth connectivity. I subscribe to google Play and I'd love to stream off my phone while at home.

Here is a little about the connectivity

"Smartphones have become a convenient and powerful way to stay connected to your favorite entertainment. Pioneer’s new networked receivers give instant access to your favorite content and control options through smartphones and tablets. The VSX-1023-K unleashes more music and video content in the living room and through the home, thanks to class-leading digital connectivity and flexible networking features.

The VSX-1023-K features the latest Made for iPhone® and iPad® certification, which includes the iPhone® 5 and the iPad Mini. Since this receiver is networked, it also supports Apple’s AirPlay wireless music streaming technology allowing you to wirelessly stream music from your iPhone, iPod® or iTunes®-running Mac® or PC directly to the receiver.

That is just half the story. Pioneer is the only receiver brand with HTC ConnectTM, the only unified approach for the AndroidTM platform for streaming music wirelessly from select compatible HTC smartphones. HTC Connect makes it easy to wireless stream your favorite music to your receiver, there is no need for a separate app, HTC Connect is built right into your phone’s music player."

jacobrd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jacobrd
tommyvelocity wrote:I have the 1120-K from 3 years ago and love it.

I've got the 1021-K from 2 years ago and love mine as well! apple and Pioneer airPlay VERY well together .. my nexus 7 tablet airPlays well with it too!

http://www.woot.com/offers/pioneer-7-1-channel-a-v-receiver-with-airplay

almost 2 years to the day, still going strong! I initially had the 1021-k in a 14x17 media room and the power was amazing. I've since moved it into a 20x21 family room and while it doesn't feel as powerful as it did in the smaller room, it still pumps out a lot of sound.

scottv67

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottv67
gino4cal wrote:hmm. . . any idea if I can stream music from my Android if I DON'T have an HTC? This receiver doesn't seem to have to bluetooth connectivity. I subscribe to google Play and I'd love to stream off my phone while at home.

1. Root your phone
2. Purchase AirAudio from the Play store and install.
3. Use AirAudio to stream audio from your Android phone to the Pioneer receiver via AirPlay.

I am using AirAudio at home to stream music from an Android phone to the Klipsch AirPlay speakers that were sold on woot a week ago. Works like a charm.

jstrahn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstrahn

I read a review that said zone 2 will only output analog sources, meaning no Pandora. Is that correct?

bcollins21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcollins21

Can I hook up a turntable to this?

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy
scottv67 wrote:1. Root your phone
2. Purchase AirAudio from the Play store and install.
3. Use AirAudio to stream audio from your Android phone to the Pioneer receiver via AirPlay.

I am using AirAudio at home to stream music from an Android phone to the Klipsch AirPlay speakers that were sold on woot a week ago. Works like a charm.

Or just get a male to male or male to split male L/R(depending on receiver) 3.5mm cable and plug it in.

Since when did people forget stuff that we've been doing with walkmans since the 80s?

fiat124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiat124

Is this 110v only? Shipping to APO?

tsunami78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsunami78
bhcompy wrote:Or just get a male to male or male to split male L/R(depending on receiver) 3.5mm cable and plug it in.

Since when did people forget stuff that we've been doing with walkmans since the 80s?

Since the 21st century rolled in and wireless connectivity came on the scene. You should try it sometime. It's the bee's knees.

dsscheibe

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dsscheibe

I've have a Pioneer DVR/DVD/VHS player and it's a piece of crap.. It has now decide not to switch between the drives either with the remote or front panel. When my Sony ES receiver died I bought an Onkyo.

HardCoreMike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HardCoreMike

I bought one of these when they were on the Woot 2 years ago. No go right out of the box. no power. Returned it but, of course, none to replace it with. I was determined to own one so I shelled out retail at Best Buy. Worked great for over a year but now it has lost several functions. They just simply will not work. One is updating the firmware, another is the "receiver" button will not activate the unit so I can make adjustments. I'm stuck with it. No more Pioneers for me.

Ainokea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ainokea

All that and ONE HDMI output.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

This is a bit more at $465 but a lot better receiver:
YAMAHA RX-V773WABL 7-Channel AV Receiver with WiFi Adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377

ahugar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahugar

Don't Buy! I bought this one on Woot and all HDMI ports were dead in slightly more than 12 months.

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner
dsscheibe wrote:I've have a Pioneer DVR/DVD/VHS player and it's a piece of crap.. It has now decide not to switch between the drives either with the remote or front panel. When my Sony ES receiver died I bought an Onkyo.

I'll second a choice for Onkyo. Love mine - even though I'm not taking full advantage of 1/10th of its capabilities at the moment.

I actually have a second Onkyo receiver that was given to me from my parents after they decided the Home Theater concept was just too confusing for them... and although that model is a very low-end simple unit with no HDMI, it works fine for adding a bit of volume and surround sound to the family room.

I'm very much an Onkyo convert after years of Sony, Pioneer, and Kenwood offerings. Can't say as I've had any reason to switch back.

iceph03nix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceph03nix

HEY! It's one of those things I have.

This is a great system. LOTS of HDMI which is what I like, and this version will convert just about anything over to HDMI which means you only need to run the one cable to your TV (or in my case projector which was important).

The only thing I haven't had great luck with was plugging my N64 into it, as it can only convert down to a minimum resolution, and some 64 games are below that. For instance, LOZ:Majora's Mask works, but Goldeneye doesn't. The solution to this would be to just run another cable to the projector that's not HDMI, but it's not a big enough issue for me to bother.

digitaleagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages digitaleagle

I've been looking for a new receiver but from reading all the feedback they just don't seem to be making them with any quality components anymore. I have a 10 year old Denon that has been rock solid and still works as good as the day I bought it. Newegg is selling the Yamaha noted by someone else, but even those reviews are mainly negative due to quality problems. In this price range it seems like when you get a lot of bells and whistles, they sacrafice on quality. I will probably buy another Denon but will spend a lot more money on a better receiver. Thanks Woot - but due to all the QC problems on this - I'm passing.

swaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swaron

I own this receiver. I almost wish I needed another one. It is an excellent product. All my HDMI devices go through it and the sound is perfect.

Phibbsr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phibbsr
dsscheibe wrote:I've have a Pioneer DVR/DVD/VHS player and it's a piece of crap.. It has now decide not to switch between the drives either with the remote or front panel. When my Sony ES receiver died I bought an Onkyo.

So I wish you luck w/the onkyo I just had my Onkyo breakdown completely just after the two year warranty expired. Now I'll go to a pioneer or sony again. NEVER WILL I BUY ONKYO AGAIN (Horrible customer service from of course Bangladesh)..

Phibbsr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phibbsr

Is the zone 2 just 2 additional speaker for another room? Or multi extra zones? I am looking for at least 2 additional zones.

Wulfman15

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Wulfman15

I have the 5.1 version of this receiver.

It sounds great, and has a lot of useful features but one thing really gets to me about this and many other modern receivers:

It lets you plug Apple devices into it via usb. I do not own a single apple device and never will if I can help it. Would it really be asking too much just to put a standard, good ol plain jane 1/8th inch input right on the front so I can plug whatever the heck I want into it? As it stands now I had to buy an RCA adapter and use up an input on the BACK to get an input for my mobile devices.

My car, made 6 years ago, has one of these right on my dashboard. Why not on my home theater too?

gros0148

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gros0148
Phibbsr wrote:Is the zone 2 just 2 additional speaker for another room? Or multi extra zones? I am looking for at least 2 additional zones.

As in you want 3 total zones that can do 3 different things? This receiver is dual zone, you can use the 6 and 7th channels (rear surround) to broadcast a 2nd analog audio source (so radio as example). Essentially giving you 5.1 sound and a 2nd 2.0 analog zone.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
Ainokea wrote:All that and ONE HDMI output.

Do you really need more than one output? I can see needing multiple inputs.

cboshdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cboshdave

I also got the 5.1 version of this a year or so ago. The only difference that I regretted is that it did not have the "pass-thru" option. This one has it. Otherwise, the 5.1 version has been GREAT. I have been waiting for another for the basement. I am in for one!

dad2trips

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dad2trips

That is generally the case with these lower end zone 2 receivers. You have to spend upwards to a grand to get a receiver with digital zone 2. The Onkyo TX-NR929 is an example of this.

jstrahn wrote:I read a review that said zone 2 will only output analog sources, meaning no Pandora. Is that correct?

Too much junk to list...

marcpease

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcpease
bhcompy wrote:Or just get a male to male or male to split male L/R(depending on receiver) 3.5mm cable and plug it in.

Or... buy a Chromecast for $35. Plug it straight into the receiver, works great with Google Play music, Pandora, Netflix, etc.

michaelberman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelberman

Does this have a 802.11n (or other) wireless? I did not see any wireless spec, just the plug on the back. I do not run wires around my house, all my devices are wireless (I have a 802.11AC router).

Will I need to run a cable? to get air play?

Mike

reznik987

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reznik987
cboshdave wrote:I also got the 5.1 version of this a year or so ago. The only difference that I regretted is that it did not have the "pass-thru" option. This one has it. Otherwise, the 5.1 version has been GREAT. I have been waiting for another for the basement. I am in for one!

I have one that I bought because I wanted to use the pass through feature. The odd thing is; the pass through feature doesn't work with all components. For instance ... the pass through feature works with my Sony Blu-Ray player but not with the Directv box. Many people will say something is not set right or hooked up right or the receiver is not in stand by mode ... they're wrong. The pass through feature may or may not work with your particular components.

michaelberman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelberman

I just found the answer, it requires Optional AS-WL300, the "old" one is only $109 on line, well if it take $110 to add wireless, that blows it for me.

michaelberman wrote:Does this have a 802.11n (or other) wireless? I did not see any wireless spec, just the plug on the back. I do not run wires around my house, all my devices are wireless (I have a 802.11AC router).

Will I need to run a cable? to get air play?

Mike

alstry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alstry

I have had my Pioneer for years, but I am going to buy this bad boy to finally upgrade. This is an excellent price point. Plus Woot rocks on shipping!!!

jamesdmanley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesdmanley

i bought the pioneer vsx-1021 from woot and it lasted less than 2 years of very light use. i'd avoid this

JinnRikki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JinnRikki

I love Pioneer receivers, both home and auto. Have been buying Pioneer receivers since my first (Pioneer SX 1010)in 1975. Tried Sony and Yamaha but always come back to Pioneer for quality and price. I still have the last 2 I bought, one is in the basement and the other is seeing duty in the spare bedroom. My son has the one I bought before those in his family room.
Just so you know ALL manufacturers ship some products with defects however I've never had a bad one from Pioneer.

vfrjeremy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vfrjeremy

I have the 1021 from Woot and it works like a champ. Would love to have this one to cut out the middle-man (chromecast) and stream straight from my HTC phone, but alas, the old on is still working too well to upgrade...

jrossjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrossjr

I just picked up this Yamaha from Newegg yesterday. After looking at the specs, I'm going to stick with the Yamaha. Pass-through, more analog connections (for older game systems) and better sound quality. Also, the Yamaha has a much better track record with reliability than this pioneer does. If you don't need more than 4 HDMI ports, I recommend getting the Yamaha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115375