WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gear Pro 720p HD Sport Action Cam

Speed to First Woot:
3m 53.889s
First Sucker:
pickelz74
Last Wooter to Woot:
pchapman1117
Last Purchase:
10 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 21% of Woot.com Woots
Top 7% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 2% of Woot.com Woots
Top 1% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 26% first woot
  • 13% second woot
  • 31% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 13% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 15% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 5% one month old
  • 22% one year old
  • 57% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 75% bought 1
  • 16% bought 2
  • 9% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
3%
3%
2%
3%
6%
10%
14%
16%
14%
12%
11%
5%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

Item: Gear Pro 720p HD Sport Action Cam
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/24/2013 - $39.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)
7/17/2013 - $39.99 (Woot-off) - 70 comment(s)
7/9/2013 - $39.99 - 53 comment(s)


8/2/2013 - $39.99 (Woot Plus)

lichme


quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

watch this review

Check it out under ice (comments confirmed gear pro)

diburning


quality posts: 5 Private Messages diburning

Gear Pro? Is this like a knockoff of a Go Pro?

hydin


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hydin

Think it'd make a decent dashcam? 45$ isn't too bad compared to what they seem to run on various places, and the suction cup mount seems like it'd be easy to use on a windshield.

zarchitect


quality posts: 4 Private Messages zarchitect

According to Amazon and previous woots, seems like a dud and waste of even $40. But like always, people just press that BUY button before reading one word... Oh well. Wish they would just PayPal me $45 indiscriminately...

jaburg


quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

There sure are a lot of bad reviews on Amazon. Complaints about craptastic battery and overall build. However, if you get one that works, it is a pretty cheap toy.

angola20


quality posts: 1 Private Messages angola20

Bought one previously and it works pretty well. However, I haven't put it through extreme situations yet. Does anyone know where I can find a headstrap/chest strap for this? My inability to attach it to my forehead/chest is my only problem so far.

EcoTony


quality posts: 7 Private Messages EcoTony
angola20 wrote:Bought one previously and it works pretty well. However, I haven't put it through extreme situations yet. Does anyone know where I can find a headstrap/chest strap for this? My inability to attach it to my forehead/chest is my only problem so far.



maybe this?

quartermane


quality posts: 6 Private Messages quartermane
angola20 wrote:Bought one previously and it works pretty well. However, I haven't put it through extreme situations yet. Does anyone know where I can find a headstrap/chest strap for this? My inability to attach it to my forehead/chest is my only problem so far.



I'm an ER doctor. I CAN help. It will be painful, and probably not covered by your insurance company. Changing batteries will be also difficult (best to charge it usb).

fistsoffaith


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fistsoffaith

Aw, leave old Robby alone Woot. He was drunk, and you and I both know you've done things worse than crack cocaine during your binges.

afwalton


quality posts: 9 Private Messages afwalton

The camera doesn't interest me, but the suction cup tripod thingy looks pretty cool. Not $45 cool, but pretty cool.

electroken


quality posts: 1 Private Messages electroken

I've had this camera for about 6 months now, and it works well enough if you don't expect too much. It's no GoPro.
It has a very wide angle, almost fish-eye lens, so any video from a moving vehicle will make it look like you're going 1000 miles an hour.
The sound stinks without the waterproof box and it's non-existent with it.
It's pretty rugged though, having survived being run over by a 150 pound high school robotics team robot at a competition.

fevans1980


quality posts: 6 Private Messages fevans1980

I devised my own chest strap and wore one running a few times. It's not worth the trouble, due to the lack of anti-shake capabilities. I thought I might actually puke 15 seconds into watching.

angola20 wrote:Bought one previously and it works pretty well. However, I haven't put it through extreme situations yet. Does anyone know where I can find a headstrap/chest strap for this? My inability to attach it to my forehead/chest is my only problem so far.



pdkrocul


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pdkrocul

I'm reading the specs. How/why does a 1.3M pix sensor make 5M pix images?

tation


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tation
hydin wrote:Think it'd make a decent dashcam? 45$ isn't too bad compared to what they seem to run on various places, and the suction cup mount seems like it'd be easy to use on a windshield.



I got one the last time they were offered here. It works fine as a dashcam in my car. It charges while in use and in car mode (one of the three modes you can set the camera in) it records in in a round robin fashion. Overwriting old footage as it goes. The sound seems fine while not in the waterproof housing. It is as good as any other dashcam I have seen footage from. The suctioncup has been on the inside of my windshield now for 3 or 4 months and it has not fallen off once. I did see a video someone posted that tried sticking on the outside and the cam fell off quickly. I took the camera to the beach and filmed a little bit underwater and it worked fine. Yes it has a bit of a fisheye lens and yes the battery life is pretty short. But all in all, I though it was worth the money. I have never used a gopro so I don't know how it would compare but for my light duty needs, this one is fine. I have also looked into hacking it to upgrade the battery and it looks doable. The colored case comes off with 4 screws and the battery is just a standard lipo soldered onto the only board in the camera. I think that it would be fairly easy to add two additional small lipos inside the casing. One on each side of the lens. Would also be easy to rig it to have an external battery and you could have runtimes as long as you wanted.

theco2


quality posts: 62 Private Messages theco2
quartermane wrote:I'm an ER doctor. I CAN help. It will be painful, and probably not covered by your insurance company. Changing batteries will be also difficult (best to charge it usb).

I'm waiting for someone to take you up on this offer.

glamontagne


quality posts: 3 Private Messages glamontagne
quartermane wrote:I'm an ER doctor. I CAN help. It will be painful, and probably not covered by your insurance company. Changing batteries will be also difficult (best to charge it usb).



No pain, No gain!

Random Crap - Level 7 Woot-Off Lights
Dazzle Video Creator Platinum Philips Prestigo Universal Remote Altec Lansing M604 for Zune Remote Control Helicopter Train Set Microsoft Zune 30GB Roadside Emergency Kit Microsoft Zune 6 Player Texas Hold’em Poker

bauerbach


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bauerbach
lichme wrote:watch this review

Check it out under ice (comments confirmed gear pro)



that is.... pretty terrible.

cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

Will it automatically record when in Auto Mode? Can you plug it into charge while inside the waterproof case?

I would like to mount it to my motorcycle, I have 12V power and the cyclic recording sounds interesting. Set and forget maybe?

tation wrote:I got one the last time they were offered here. It works fine as a dashcam in my car. It charges while in use and in car mode (one of the three modes you can set the camera in) it records in in a round robin fashion. Overwriting old footage as it goes. The sound seems fine while not in the waterproof housing. It is as good as any other dashcam I have seen footage from. The suctioncup has been on the inside of my windshield now for 3 or 4 months and it has not fallen off once. I did see a video someone posted that tried sticking on the outside and the cam fell off quickly. I took the camera to the beach and filmed a little bit underwater and it worked fine. Yes it has a bit of a fisheye lens and yes the battery life is pretty short. But all in all, I though it was worth the money. I have never used a gopro so I don't know how it would compare but for my light duty needs, this one is fine. I have also looked into hacking it to upgrade the battery and it looks doable. The colored case comes off with 4 screws and the battery is just a standard lipo soldered onto the only board in the camera. I think that it would be fairly easy to add two additional small lipos inside the casing. One on each side of the lens. Would also be easy to rig it to have an external battery and you could have runtimes as long as you wanted.



justme6


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justme6

Got one last time. It certainly isn't a replacement for my dive camera or a digital still camera, but it is nice and serviceable. I wish I could turn off the rear screen when in-use, but other than that I have zero complaints. Good buy.

boomn4x4


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

I got this camera a few months ago... I feel it was worth the $40. As mentioned, sound while in the housing is almost non existent. Camera itself is pretty cheap, but the waterproof housing it goes into is pretty solid. I've used it underwater at the beach, had it mounted to the bow ring of an inflatable boat with a 9hp engine on it. I have also dove in to the water off a boat with the camera in front of me, if water was going to get in, it would have here, but it didn't.

No where near the video quality of a $200 camera... but its also only $40.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

gmjlopez


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmjlopez

Will the accessories screw into another camera (without the case)? I have older cameras laying around that can record better then this and want to use as a dash cam.

boomn4x4 wrote:I got this camera a few months ago... I feel it was worth the $40. As mentioned, sound while in the housing is almost non existent. Camera itself is pretty cheap, but the waterproof housing it goes into is pretty solid. I've used it underwater at the beach, had it mounted to the bow ring of an inflatable boat with a 9hp engine on it. I have also dove in to the water off a boat with the camera in front of me, if water was going to get in, it would have here, but it didn't.

No where near the video quality of a $200 camera... but its also only $40.



bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

Been very tempted to pick up this type of camera but wonder if anyone has compared this Woot to the several non-GoPro options about there?

We don't need another partially functional gadget in the tried-that-cool-thing-but-didn't-work box in the basement.

BTW, at 4 times the price for their entry level model the GoPros don't do so wonderfully in the mothership reviews - 25% 1-star.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHE-301-HERO3-White-Edition/dp/B009TCCTSQ

Does this Woot have 70% of the functionality of a GoPro for 1/4 the price?

cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

Any Comments on use for a motorcycle? Would like to leave it mounted all the time, and record when 12V power is present in a loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P410JMKH4M

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pdkrocul wrote:I'm reading the specs. How/why does a 1.3M pix sensor make 5M pix images?


From what what we can glean from the manual, the 1.3.MP refers to the resolution of video recording. The 5MP for still photos.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

eugef


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eugef
tation wrote:I got one the last time they were offered here. It works fine as a dashcam in my car. It charges while in use and in car mode (one of the three modes you can set the camera in) it records in in a round robin fashion. Overwriting old footage as it goes. The sound seems fine while not in the waterproof housing. It is as good as any other dashcam I have seen footage from. The suctioncup has been on the inside of my windshield now for 3 or 4 months and it has not fallen off once. I did see a video someone posted that tried sticking on the outside and the cam fell off quickly. I took the camera to the beach and filmed a little bit underwater and it worked fine. Yes it has a bit of a fisheye lens and yes the battery life is pretty short. But all in all, I though it was worth the money. I have never used a gopro so I don't know how it would compare but for my light duty needs, this one is fine. I have also looked into hacking it to upgrade the battery and it looks doable. The colored case comes off with 4 screws and the battery is just a standard lipo soldered onto the only board in the camera. I think that it would be fairly easy to add two additional small lipos inside the casing. One on each side of the lens. Would also be easy to rig it to have an external battery and you could have runtimes as long as you wanted.



How does it perform during night/evening driving?

http://www.oneguysale.com

saintlupus


quality posts: 1 Private Messages saintlupus

How is the battery life? I've been thinking of getting a handlebar camera for my bicycle after a few close calls with bad drivers, but if it doesn't last long enough for a ride this really won't help.

MisterNoisy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MisterNoisy

Ordered one of these the last time they came up with the intent of using it as a cheap dashcam. Sadly, it quit recording after ten minutes with the 'Busy' LED on and never recorded another frame afterwards. RMA'd it and replaced it with a DVR207 from Amazon, which has been fantastic.

mscovey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscovey
saintlupus wrote:How is the battery life? I've been thinking of getting a handlebar camera for my bicycle after a few close calls with bad drivers, but if it doesn't last long enough for a ride this really won't help.



I bought two last time these came up- one for bike rides one to give to snowboarding son. Battery life and picture has been OK in daylight (early morning/dawn picture is horrible), but BOTH cameras' handlebar mounts broke under non-extreme road bike conditions. Will likely buy a universal/Hero adapter and try again.

sweetteg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetteg



this video is what's holding me back from purchasing this camera.

the freak out at 2:10+ has me very skeptical.

I would like to use this on my motorcycles and drift car, but for action use this really doesn't seem to cut the bill. I'll stick to just using a gopro hero edition and only have one angle until i can find a deal on another go pro.

b bold

justme6


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justme6

Nighttime is pretty bad. Daytime is fine. Battery life seems really good to me, both in-use and during storage. If I forget to charge it I'm always happily surprised to find that it is still topped-up when I'm already outside.

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo

I bought one of these before going on an Alaska fishing trip in July of 2013. I didn't want to take a chance dropping a $300 camera overboard, so felt the $45 expense for this one was a risk I could take.
I was very happy with the ease of use, the touchscreen, the ability to use a class 10 16GB memory card, and the battery life. Mostly I am happy with the good quality video and the color of my shots.
It was durable and came with enough extras. Really and totally worth the money.
Here is a video I took while on the boat, be sure to select at least the 720P video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRb_361zXNA

tation


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tation
cmdrredhawk wrote:Will it automatically record when in Auto Mode? Can you plug it into charge while inside the waterproof case?

I would like to mount it to my motorcycle, I have 12V power and the cyclic recording sounds interesting. Set and forget maybe?



You can't plug the charger in while it is in the waterproof case. There are two buttons on the waterproof case that you use to turn it off/on and also to snap a single photo if it is already in that mode. To change modes, you have to remove it from the waterproof case. You also can't use the touch screen while in the waterproof case. As for "set and forget", I doubt the camera can be used the way you want. While in automotive mode, It will turn off when you remove the charger power, but I think you still have to hit the power button to turn it on. I could be wrong on this though. I have not used it as a dashcam in a month or so. Night driving doesn't record well.

ejeon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejeon
tation wrote:I got one the last time they were offered here. It works fine as a dashcam in my car. It charges while in use and in car mode (one of the three modes you can set the camera in) it records in in a round robin fashion. Overwriting old footage as it goes. The sound seems fine while not in the waterproof housing. It is as good as any other dashcam I have seen footage from. The suctioncup has been on the inside of my windshield now for 3 or 4 months and it has not fallen off once. I did see a video someone posted that tried sticking on the outside and the cam fell off quickly. I took the camera to the beach and filmed a little bit underwater and it worked fine. Yes it has a bit of a fisheye lens and yes the battery life is pretty short. But all in all, I though it was worth the money. I have never used a gopro so I don't know how it would compare but for my light duty needs, this one is fine. I have also looked into hacking it to upgrade the battery and it looks doable. The colored case comes off with 4 screws and the battery is just a standard lipo soldered onto the only board in the camera. I think that it would be fairly easy to add two additional small lipos inside the casing. One on each side of the lens. Would also be easy to rig it to have an external battery and you could have runtimes as long as you wanted.



Hey, can you (or someone else) be a little more specific about the battery life? Ballpark estimate, how much record time can I expect on a charge at the highest quality? One hour? Three hours? 10 minutes?

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo
ejeon wrote:Hey, can you (or someone else) be a little more specific about the battery life? Ballpark estimate, how much record time can I expect on a charge at the highest quality? One hour? Three hours? 10 minutes?



With mine I could record HD for around 2 hours from a full charge. I still had some battery left but didn't want to chance it running all the way dead so I plugged it in and recharged at that point.

ejeon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejeon
rbastedo wrote:With mine I could record HD for around 2 hours from a full charge. I still had some battery left but didn't want to chance it running all the way dead so I plugged it in and recharged at that point.



Nice! Thanks. That should just about get me through a track day.

yellowdatsun


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowdatsun

I don't know why there are bad reviews on it. I bought one (there sold by like 5 different companies, Vivitar, Polaroid, Emerson, Pyle, etc), and for the money it works great. I've used it on my motorcycle off road, and it works just fine. Sure it's not as nice as a GoPro, but it's also not $400 either. Think of it as a disposable GoPro, if it breaks or you lose it, you're not out a pile of money, and you can just buy another one.

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo
yellowdatsun wrote:I don't know why there are bad reviews on it. I bought one (there sold by like 5 different companies, Vivitar, Polaroid, Emerson, Pyle, etc), and for the money it works great. I've used it on my motorcycle off road, and it works just fine. Sure it's not as nice as a GoPro, but it's also not $400 either. Think of it as a disposable GoPro, if it breaks or you lose it, you're not out a pile of money, and you can just buy another one.



That was exactly my thought as well. I was very happy at the quality of video I brought home. Just look at the color of the water, and at 1:49 check out the lines of fog around those two small islands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRb_361zXNA

dieppe


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dieppe
sweetteg wrote:

this video is what's holding me back from purchasing this camera.

the freak out at 2:10+ has me very skeptical.

I would like to use this on my motorcycles and drift car, but for action use this really doesn't seem to cut the bill. I'll stick to just using a gopro hero edition and only have one angle until i can find a deal on another go pro.



The "freakout at 2:10+" is probably caused by setting the stability/anti-shake setting on YouTube, not the original source material.