squishysquid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squishysquid
hydin wrote:Think it'd make a decent dashcam? 45$ isn't too bad compared to what they seem to run on various places, and the suction cup mount seems like it'd be easy to use on a windshield.

So, I never post here, but I JUST went through this. I recently bought a dedicated dashcam after deciding that a DIY Raspberry Pi version was too much trouble, and I did a couple weeks of research beforehand. The end result? The writer of this Jalopnik article (http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-mid-priced-dash-cam-you-should-buy-475625317) sums if up pretty well. I bought the same dashcam and the physical quality of it is better than he makes it sound.

The main reason for getting a dedicated dashcam (especially when the one in the article is only priced $20 higher than a makeshift solution that you are already considering) is the simplicity and functionality. Wanna use this gear pro? Well if you catch an incident on the camera and want a clip of it you're going to have to take the sd card to your computer, scroll through hours of footage by hand until you find what you're looking for, and then pull the clip out yourself. Also you have to empty out the storage every so often or it will fill up. With a dashcam? Well, it writes files with clips in sizes you specify (5, 10 or 15 minutes), it overwrites the oldest files in chronological order when it gets full, and most importantly, if you film something that you immediately know you want to keep (a guy jumping in front of your car, a meteor, a car ramping over a guardrail, etc.) you press a button on the camera and it moves the file to a new folder where it won't be deleted, and you can go directly to that folder when you access the card and very quickly grab just the clips that you've marked while driving. This was the main feature that convinced me to buy one. If I see something funny, I push the button. After I've done that ten times, I'll go and put those clips on my computer and put the card back in the camera.

So the real question is, do you think $20 is worth the extra functionality of a dedicated dashcam? Obviously my vote was yes.

starcatcher6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starcatcher6

Does anyone know if this camera works well as a stand alone or only as an action camera?

tation

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tation
squishysquid wrote:So, I never post here, but I JUST went through this. I recently bought a dedicated dashcam after deciding that a DIY Raspberry Pi version was too much trouble, and I did a couple weeks of research beforehand. The end result? The writer of this Jalopnik article (http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-mid-priced-dash-cam-you-should-buy-475625317) sums if up pretty well. I bought the same dashcam and the physical quality of it is better than he makes it sound.

The main reason for getting a dedicated dashcam (especially when the one in the article is only priced $20 higher than a makeshift solution that you are already considering) is the simplicity and functionality. Wanna use this gear pro? Well if you catch an incident on the camera and want a clip of it you're going to have to take the sd card to your computer, scroll through hours of footage by hand until you find what you're looking for, and then pull the clip out yourself. Also you have to empty out the storage every so often or it will fill up. With a dashcam? Well, it writes files with clips in sizes you specify (5, 10 or 15 minutes), it overwrites the oldest files in chronological order when it gets full, and most importantly, if you film something that you immediately know you want to keep (a guy jumping in front of your car, a meteor, a car ramping over a guardrail, etc.) you press a button on the camera and it moves the file to a new folder where it won't be deleted, and you can go directly to that folder when you access the card and very quickly grab just the clips that you've marked while driving. This was the main feature that convinced me to buy one. If I see something funny, I push the button. After I've done that ten times, I'll go and put those clips on my computer and put the card back in the camera.

So the real question is, do you think $20 is worth the extra functionality of a dedicated dashcam? Obviously my vote was yes.

This one never gets full. It overwrites as it goes. It doesn't have the function of putting the clip in a folder though. Depending on the size of the card in it, you never have to go through hours of footage either. Just put a smaller card in it. I would even say to keep a spare card with you and swap them out when you film something you want to keep. With this camera, you have the flexibility to use it for more than a dashcam.

kenbjorkii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenbjorkii

What the @#&*@$*?
I just got this email and it is already sold out?

lyzard10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyzard10

Does anyone know if this camera does time lapse & if so how many seconds between shots?

anthonylawson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthonylawson

ordered 7 days ago...still no tracking number

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

anthonylawson wrote:ordered 7 days ago...still no tracking number

It's shipped. Check your spam/junk folder for the tracking email. You can also check STUFF YOU BOUGHT at the top right.

However, I'll send you the tracking info via Private Messages. To view your private messages, click on the envelope to the right of the Everything But Woot tab.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kenracer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenracer

WHY IF i BOUGHT THIS ITEM ON THE 7TH OF THE MONTH IT IS 7 DAYS LATER BEFORE IT SHIPPS?

ThunderThighs

Staff

kenracer wrote:WHY IF i BOUGHT THIS ITEM ON THE 7TH OF THE MONTH IT IS 7 DAYS LATER BEFORE IT SHIPPS?

You ordered on 11/7. It shipped out on 11/13.

The sale said it would ship in 3-5 business days. It shipped on the 4th business day.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

vwbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwbob

Just had to buy a special class 10 micro sd card to use this camera for $30 at Best Buy . but I planned to use this as a dash cam but when you plug in the power cord it automatically goes into usb mode and wont record . I would like to permanently mount this in car as a dash cam but not to charge it between uses .. crap ...

billdawson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billdawson

Disappointed. The camera is only 640. I can't get my micro-SD card out of it. (The card costs more than the camera. That should have been my first clue.) Controls are awkward. Difficult to snap into mount without turning on and off while doing it. No way to tell if the camera is still recording after the screen goes off. It will suffice for now but certainly holds no candle to GoPro.

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss
billdawson wrote:Disappointed. The camera is only 640. I can't get my micro-SD card out of it. (The card costs more than the camera. That should have been my first clue.) Controls are awkward. Difficult to snap into mount without turning on and off while doing it. No way to tell if the camera is still recording after the screen goes off. It will suffice for now but certainly holds no candle to GoPro.

1. Should have read the specs before buying.

2. GoPro is 200 dollars.

Need I say more?

Foxito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Foxito
pdkrocul wrote:I'm reading the specs. How/why does a 1.3M pix sensor make 5M pix images?

Chinese imagination and 'creativity' (lies). ;-)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Foxito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Foxito

"2. GoPro is 200 dollars."

..and that is precisely why people stay way from an overpriced $200 camera. I prefer to have a not-so-well $39 camera than a super-good, overpriced camera and get my pockets ripped-off. I prefer to pay $400 for a quadcopter, than $200 for a little camera that when mountedd on a $400 quadcopter and it crashes, chances are the camera will go to hell and there goes my $200 trashed....at least I wouldn't mount a $200 camera on any aircraft, bicycle, or whatsover that could crash either from the sky or against something...and say bye by GoPro you were nice to me while you lasted.

Sure, it's not 1080p but 720p, but for what it is, costs much less than overpriced momma Go "Pro".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

katalystxxl18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katalystxxl18

It turns out the day after I bought 3 of these to play with my wife surprised me with a Go-Pro Black edition. Does anyone want to buy my 3? They haven't been opened yet. I have one of each, the blue, black, and silver. If interested, send me an email: [MOD: For security, pls use Private Messages instead] I'll sell them at the same price as the Woot, $40 each and I'll cover shipping.

brianpitt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianpitt

I purchased one of these a while back and only recently got a chance to try it out. No matter what Micro SD card I put in it thinks for a while and then says "Card Error" followed by "Please plug out card". I read one review on Amazon that said you can't use a Micro SDHC card, it must be Micro SD. My understanding is that the cutoff is 2GB. Anything below is Micro SD, up to 32GB is Micro SDHC, and above is Micro SDXC. The specs say it works with cards up to 32GB, so that would mean mine should work, but they don't. My friend also got one and it has the same issue with a brand new card he bought with it. What gives? Do they need to be formatted in a certain way? Someone please help, I have a $40 paperweight that isn't even heavy enough to be used as a paperweight!

ThunderThighs

Staff

brianpitt: You might try contacting the manufacturer, Pyle, for information.

Pyle Contact Info

FORUM MODERATOR

tonyvball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonyvball

DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA!!!!!!! It is a piece of crap. It shows that it is recording, after you stop it shows the recording but by the time you get home it is gone! I waisted so much time recording games with this camera just to find out that it did not save any of my recordings. I started with a 32Gig card then ordered a 16 gig thinking it was a card problem but it is the camera. DO NOT BUY. Now I have no way out of it since I purchased on Woot refurbished.

jlburns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlburns

After just a few uses i cannot download any pictures or videos, the file says it is bad. And the case leaks
Can somebody assist