Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of good reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

and

Solid reviews (4 out of 5 eggs) over at newegg.com

ninjabb4

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

It's a very fair price for a good device! I own the same exact model and I love it, but it is very laggy. If you research the reviews and information over xda you'll find out that this model has problem with slow memory.

I've rooted mine and installed Cromi-x but this device still has some lag.

Don't get me wrong, this device is good for most of the tasks but I just hate when my tablet is not as snappy as my cell phone which is HTC ONE ;)

a8le

quality posts: 1 Private Messages a8le

Bought one not too long ago from Newegg. If only Woot/Amazon offered this a couple of weeks sooner. I don't like Newegg, but needed a new tablet.

It's an awesome tablet. The 1GB memory is the only issue. There is lag every so often.

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk
ninjabb4 wrote:It's a very fair price for a good device! I own the same exact model and I love it, but it is very laggy. If you research the reviews and information over xda you'll find out that this model has problem with slow memory.

Having owned one I have to agree about the lag. It's more of an issue when watching streaming video on Netflix with the audio desyncing.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

Not to cause a flame war, but I believe I read the lag is due to the high resolution screen being a bit much for the Tegra 3 processor. I got the TF300 (similar processor, much lower resolution) for my kid and it works fine. I'm probably going to get the newer TF701T with the Tegra 4 processor for myself.

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
ninjabb4 wrote:It's a very fair price for a good device! I own the same exact model and I love it, but it is very laggy. If you research the reviews and information over xda you'll find out that this model has problem with slow memory.

I've rooted mine and installed Cromi-x but this device still has some lag.

Don't get me wrong, this device is good for most of the tasks but I just hate when my tablet is not as snappy as my cell phone which is HTC ONE ;)

I'm with you on this. I have one and I can't really recommend it. With ~300 apps installed, it takes easily 15-20 minutes from being shut down to actually being ready for use. The internal memory is way, way too slow. Bad choice of components by ASUS.

I'd go for the Galaxy Tab 3 instead. Mine boots up in less than a minute.

soulxside

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soulxside

I bought one of these here in June and it didn't work so I sent it to asus. After sending a broken unit back and forth 3 times and replacing it with another broken one and sending my tablet to someone in another state and sending me her Nexus, I finally got a working one on October 27th. Now that I have a working one, I like it okay. Watch out for refurbs. Good thing asus stood behind their product. Sucks I didn't get to use it for 5 months.

willyone

quality posts: 27 Private Messages willyone

The Asus brand, as well as their service and support, are top-notch! I bought an Asus G75-JX ROG (Rebublic Of Gamers) 17" laptop a few months ago and have contacted them on a couple of occasions. The first time I contacted them with questions about installing an SSD (solid state drive) I had just purchased. The 2nd time with regard to installing a newer driver for the GTX-770M video card. They provided excellent phone support and always did what they said they'd do! They had to research a question and promised to get back to me within a certain time, which they did. Overall, dealing with them has been a great experience.

And a comment about Asus keyboards. Before buying my laptop I researched numerous models and read hundreds of reviews for many brands, but one thing stood out with the Asus reviews and that was the stellar comments regarding the tactile feedback, key travel, and generally the overall experience using the Asus keyboards compared to all others. It didn't seem to matter whether it was a user review or a professional review (CNET and the like), everyone loved the keyboard and I have to agree. I tried lots of keyboards in the stores (Best Buy, Tiger Direct, etc.) and the Asus was BY FAR my favorite and actually became a factor in my choosing Asus.

You know how when your really happy with something you want others to know, well that's the case here. My experiences with both the product and the company have been so positive (unfortunately not the norm in many of my dealings lately with other company's) that I just thought anyone considering an Asus product for the first time could benefit from hearing someone else's experience.

haywardk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haywardk
alextse wrote:Not to cause a flame war, but I believe I read the lag is due to the high resolution screen being a bit much for the Tegra 3 processor. I got the TF300 (similar processor, much lower resolution) for my kid and it works fine. I'm probably going to get the newer TF701T with the Tegra 4 processor for myself.

Not MUCH lower res, just 720 vs 1080 though is a factor of two. On that small a screen very little view difference vs horsepower demand. And 300 not a similar processor the very same Tegra 3 Though 700 might be a little speed tweaked.

Has a 701 actually been announced?

And actually Just acquired a refurb 300 w/KB cheap, and maybe dropping back to it soon (hate the data/software transitioning) as I unfortunately knocked my 700 off my bed and multiple cracked the screen, though from straight on not really visible people to the side of me see them. Guess they aren't using Gorilla Glass anymore.
And actually sort of hate the microscopic fonts while browsing/text apps on a 1080 10" screen, especially if one that can't be zoomed.

haywardk

willyone wrote:The Asus brand, as well as their service and support, are top-notch!

I would have to disagree with you there though I love the product.

Had a Transformer Keyboard die out of warranty... and called them about repair... was repeatedly quoted $300, though maybe less. The damn thing NEW MSRP is only $150.

So basically they were saying screw you just buy a new one, found discounted sub $100

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
willyone wrote:The Asus brand, as well as their service and support, are top-notch!

Products - yes
Service and support - not so much

Asus, as a general rule, makes pretty good stuff. If it breaks, you enter into the service nightmare that is Asus support. My TF300 (which is a great tablet) came with defective GPS. I sent it back for RMA repair for that and a bad SD card slot. They fixed the slot and ignored the GPS problem. I had to create another RMA and send it back to fix the GPS, which they say they did, but never actually tested to see if it worked (spoiler alert: it didn't). Their answer to that was "Tough break, do another RMA".

persuasion7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages persuasion7

I used one briefly when it was sent by mistake instead of the asus tf300 and had to return it even though I was offered a great deal if I would keep it. Ran slow just for everyday web surfing. Been very pleased with both acer iconia a210 and samsung note for 10 inch tablets.

haywardk

FreePlayPSP wrote:I'm with you on this. I have one and I can't really recommend it. With ~300 apps installed, it takes easily 15-20 minutes from being shut down to actually being ready for use. The internal memory is way, way too slow. Bad choice of components by ASUS.

I am sure the S Galaxy Tabs have improved but briefly had one I managed to resell, but switched to the Transformers, because of the extra power/ports KB and S Tab like Apple what you bought is all it will ever be.

I'd go for the Galaxy Tab 3 instead. Mine boots up in less than a minute.

And the GT3 still with 300 apps also many of which auto start?

Sort of doubt that.

Even with 150 or so my 700 does it in about a min. as well.

Though with KB battery(S) never die, so its a rare event unless something occasionally crashes so badly it require a reboot.

But the auto start BS does bog it (and all devices) down... really have to start to weed those out and many apps I have not updated because they have added start-up permissions and rarely use.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
FreePlayPSP wrote: With ~300 apps installed, it takes easily 15-20 minutes from being shut down to actually being ready for use.

Your device is running slow because you have 300+ apps installed. Android caches app information in the application and dalvik caches and it gets clogged up over time and keeps accessing that bad data on boot.

Do a factory wipe, only install what you regularly use, and it will fly.

http://phonetipz.com/why-is-my-android-running-so-slow/

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

I only have an e reader, never have had a tablet because I use my phone for mobile stuff. But looking at tablets and laptops over the last few years it seems to me that they're trying to converge into something like an ultrabook. That's what I would buy if I needed one. But there's a big gap between $200 for a tablet and $800 for an ultrabook. I'm interested to see how the market evolves over the next few years.
Anyway I know nothing about tablets and this is a completely useless comment. But there you go.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

I have not experienced the lag others seem to be mentioning, but I do have issues with the dock - it occasionally "goes wacky" and the screen either blacks out or goes back to the lock screen.

On a side note: 300 apps? Which Team Fumbles?

You've been put on posting probation for this post

acraigl

quality posts: 43 Private Messages acraigl

Purchased this new, and love it. Great price. After a few months of ownership, I was getting frustrated with its performance. Shortly thereafter I found Cromi-X, a highly optimized, stock-based, replacement ROM for this device. The tablet absolutely flies now. If you're considering this tablet, you should definitely look into this as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425383

dfran1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfran1

I said this before and saying again!!

ANY ANDROID TABLET !!!!!
WITH LESS THAN 2GIG

DO NOT BUY UNLESS IT IS $150-$175 MAX!!!!

I don't care what res it has, You are buying old tech that will be outdated SOON!!!

It's your money you do as you please but I recommend you to stay away from this!

I use a samsung galaxy note 10.1 32 gig and a samsung galaxy note 8.0 16 gig

Both have 2 gig Ram, and work perfect.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Just for reference, I just bought a new HP netbook with W 8, touchscreen and lifetime 25 GB storage on Box.com for $299.95 at an office store chain. New.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
haywardk wrote:Not MUCH lower res, just 720 vs 1080 though is a factor of two. On that small a screen very little view difference vs horsepower demand. And 300 not a similar processor the very same Tegra 3 Though 700 might be a little speed tweaked.

It's significantly lower resolution the TF300 is 1280X800= 1,024,000 pixels, TF700 is 1920x1200=2,304,000 pixels (more than twice as many). The physical size of the screen does not matter,its how many pixels you are driving. The TF300 does have the same processor as the TF700, the TF700 is just clocked higher (1.6 ghz vs 1.2 ghz). The persons explanation was right on when they said their TF300 seemed "snappier" because of the difference in resolution. Although I have used the TF700 and have not found significant "lagginess" issues. Chances are that some people have some bad apps installed that are causing memory leaks.

chesserm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chesserm

I bought two of these when they first came out last year. Very pleased overall! As to lag time, it did slow down after a year of use, but purging the cache did wonders to revive it!
As an aside(off topic), I mistakenly bought Vivotab tablet on last Woot Asus tablet sale thinking its keyboard would match the Infinity. Not so! Not even the power adapter matched. Of course, Vivotab is Asus's discontinued attempt at Win RT but I still love it!

chatwizrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chatwizrd
a8le wrote:Bought one not too long ago from Newegg. If only Woot/Amazon offered this a couple of weeks sooner. I don't like Newegg, but needed a new tablet.

It's an awesome tablet. The 1GB memory is the only issue. There is lag every so often.

Dont like newegg? What is wrong with you...

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

I bought one of these on Woot last April (sans keyboard) for $374.99, so with the keyboard this is an outstanding deal.

I have not had any problems with it at all except cause by myself for adding too many apps. Videos play fine, and the keyboard dock I bought at Amazon has been flawless. The only complaint I have is that the volume doesn't seem to be able to get very loud, and the speakers in the back aren't that great. When i got it, I attached it to the keyboard, charged them both up, and watched 12 hours of Game of Thrones non stop on the battery

Overall, I would definitely recommend this at this price. You will get regular OTA updates from Asus (mine is now running Android Version 4.2.1 - Jellybean). Oh, and definitely get the keyboard....its worth the extra money

mjorgensen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjorgensen

Any chance I can get a price match from this purchase just 8 days ago: http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-10-1-32gb-tablet-with-keyboard-9.

curtwaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curtwaugh
haywardk wrote:I would have to disagree with you there though I love the product.

Had a Transformer Keyboard die out of warranty... and called them about repair... was repeatedly quoted $300, though maybe less. The damn thing NEW MSRP is only $150.

So basically they were saying screw you just buy a new one, found discounted sub $100

I bought this unit a year ago. The screen touch function went bad just before the warranty expired. I had to mail it to them to get it repaired. Got it back and the screen went bad again not too long after. I can still mostly use it with the mouse pad on the keyboard, but I also have lots of lag issues now.

I do not recommend this product and would not buy something from ASUS again.

AutobahnSHO

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO

I have a TF101 (very FIRST ASUS tablet with keyboard).

There are probably better tablets out there, but I chose the ASUS because of the keyboard. Absolutely AWESOME INCREDIBLE concept.

-The battery life is "bazillions of hours". :-D
-great stand for videochat (adjustable, unlike most tablet stands)
-typing is a breeze for email/forums
-multiple storage options (take the SD card out of a camera, use a thumbdrive or portable harddrive
-extra keys on keyboard for common settings (volume, skiptrack, settings, lockscreen, whatever)

Also, the combo is fairly heavy, but totally worth it to me when traveling to have that super-long battery life.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Ironic... I was just researching the ASUS MeMO 10" tablet yesterday. It seems to be getting stellar reviews. I was going to ask the community which they felt was better. Right now, I can get the MeMO ME302 (32gb) for $348 with folio keyboard case at Sam's. It seems to have better specs (1920x1200 fhd, 2 GB ram, nicer speakers). I don't know much about processors, but it has the Intel Clover Trail processor, and assuming from what I read, seems to be a powerful processor?

So, did I answer my own question?

Also saw a couple weeks ago, Sam's was offering the 16GB version (without folio keyboard) for $247! But, that sale is over... sad face...

fsamyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsamyn

I bought this tablet and it was shipped with a faulty charger. I received a refund.
I bought this tablet with keyboard (it is not a wireless keyboard) and the tablet cannot be woken up after it has been in sleep mode for more than 30 seconds. I did send it in for repair to ASUS. I had to pay for the shipping. I received the tablet back week later, the technician had done a firmware upgrade...but the problem was not solved. I have sent the tablet again to ASUS for repair. I hope other buyers will have more luck. No more ASUS for me.

gak0090

scubalab wrote:Ironic... I was just researching the ASUS MeMO 10" tablet yesterday. It seems to be getting stellar reviews. I was going to ask the community which they felt was better. Right now, I can get the MeMO ME302 (32gb) for $348 with folio keyboard case at Sam's. It seems to have better specs (1920x1200 fhd, 2 GB ram, nicer speakers). I don't know much about processors, but it has the Intel Clover Trail processor, and assuming from what I read, seems to be a powerful processor?

So, did I answer my own question?

Also saw a couple weeks ago, Sam's was offering the 16GB version (without folio keyboard) for $247! But, that sale is over... sad face...

The TF700T will give you a brighter screen, in IPS+ mode will hit 600 nits- the ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 display goes about 300 nits- reviews regarding the display say it's a little washed out. I don't believe the folio keyboard has a battery either, whereas the TF700T keyboard has an additional battery built in for another 8 hours of runtime.

fsamyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsamyn
gak0090 wrote:The TF700T will give you a brighter screen, in IPS+ mode will hit 600 nits- the ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 display goes about 300 nits- reviews regarding the display say it's a little washed out. I don't believe the folio keyboard has a battery either, whereas the TF700T keyboard has an additional battery built in for another 8 hours of runtime.

The keyboard has a separate battery. This keyboard has to physically connect as opposed for instance to the MS Surface.

haggys47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haggys47
curtwaugh wrote:I bought this unit a year ago. The screen touch function went bad just before the warranty expired. I had to mail it to them to get it repaired. Got it back and the screen went bad again not too long after. I can still mostly use it with the mouse pad on the keyboard, but I also have lots of lag issues now.

I do not recommend this product and would not buy something from ASUS again.

haggys47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haggys47

I have had the exact same experience. bought mine refurbished from Walmart instead of Woot, slightly cheaper, better guarantee...screen quit before my 90 day manu warranty. after I spent hours locating info on who at Asus to call, and getting through their intentionally ridiculous telephone maze, I got a helpful person, who even agreed, with a supervisor ok, to send me a FED EX express return mail tag. Well...there wasn't a place to mail from closer than 35 miles, so another week delay in returning...then found I had to PAY Fedex anyway....no word when recieved, I finally called, tracked it down, and got it back a week later, surprisingly my own tablet, without being wiped. that's the good news. the bad news it two weeks later same problem. no screen. so...back to square one, but the 90 day warranty is over...and we are back to Walmart warranty. I haven't had the time to wade through the info to send it back.
It works fine, tho with the described lag when it works. But gotta wonder after all whether I should have bit the bullet and bought an IPAD, tho I said I never would....

brnemery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brnemery
haywardk wrote:

Has a 701 actually been announced?

The TF701T has been released I got mine on Monday from newegg for $449

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231350

gak0090

fsamyn wrote:The keyboard has a separate battery. This keyboard has to physically connect as opposed for instance to the MS Surface.

I think the battery is only there to power the bluetooth, I don't see anywhere where it says the Memo folio keyboard acts as an auxiliary power supply in the way the keyboard does for the TF700T

http://promos.asus.com/ca/MeMOPad/FHD10/
FOLIO KEYBOARD
The only accessory you’ll need as the 3-in-1 functions as a cover, stand, and Bluetooth keyboard!

gak0090

brnemery wrote:The TF701T has been released I got mine on Monday from newegg for $449

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231350

How do you like it?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, we've got some great conversation going but I'd love to hear more about the actual tablet. Especially from those that have one.

What are your personal pros and cons? Would you recommend it?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter

This is a good deal for last year's refurbished model.

I own it, I love it.

This year's model recently came out, it's the TF701T on sale at Amazon for $449. It is better pretty much everywhere except for the rear facing camera, which is 5MP instead of 8MP.

Anyhow, if you don't mind last year's refurbished technology then I'd say this is a very good deal.

Specs straight from the horse's mouth: https://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF700T#specifications

greenfeldermt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenfeldermt

I got one of these - factory reconditioned TF700T+dock - from Woot back in April (70$ more expensive back then). It replaced my original TF101+dock. I was pleased to get a system update almost immediately (Jellybean 4.2 with some tweaks to improve initial sluggish keyboard - works quite well).

I have used it to do the typical tablet stuff (watch streaming videos, web browse, read .pdf and epub books) and it works fine for all that.

The dock is a snug fit, and it is less top-heavy than the original TF101 (which would often fall over backwards if you angled it incorrectly). Not to say the TF700 won't topple over if you give it a steep angle. It's never been a problem for me, but understand this thing isn't as stable as a laptop, because the tablet weighs more than the keyboard.

The keyboard is reasonable for use - I have fairly skinny fingers, though, so for sausage-fingered techies, it may be less usable. I have typed out 7 or so pages of text at a go and had no problems.

The screen is very nice - incredibly bright with the IPS+ option turned on, though I admit I have little experience using it in direct sunlight. The auto-brightness option keeps the screen very visible (more so than the TF101 in my opinion). Video playback over Youtube, through Netflix and the built in player (for local MP4 videos) has never let me down - I have never seen it lag or had audio lose sync with the video.

I have used this to do a little bit of development (using the free version of the AIDE app) and the device handled it well. It's not my ideal development setup, but it worked.

As for lag - I do have a minor complaint. I don't think the device is laggy once you load up a few apps and everything is ready to go, but I have noticed significant lag when I first fire up the wifi or power it up. It seems like the lag is mostly from all the google tools syncing up (mail takes a long time, but the worst is the google play store). Speaking of the play store - the whole chore of downloading and installing updates is incredibly slow on this - much slower than my phone. It can take about 3-5 minutes before the tablet is usable when you have to install more than a couple updates.

For me, the device at this price is worth it, but that is mostly because I really enjoy the dock - having a full, attatched keyboard at hand all the time is worth the price, even if a Google Nexus or a Galaxy Note device would let me avoid the minor startup lag I have with my TF700.