quality posts: 2739 Private Messages lichme

Item: Dr. Infrared Heater
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

rossismyname

quality posts: 10 Private Messages rossismyname

I've scoured the Dr. Infrared website and can't proof of any sort of PhD so buy at your own risk.

dacrete

quality posts: 105 Private Messages dacrete

I have one infrared heater and love it. I'm looking to buy a 2nd one for my bedroom.

(also cat approved)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3297 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a video

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3297 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out the product page

and

Some solid reviews (3.9 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's watch a video

You'd think he'd find a better frame for his freeze frame. And it's pretty interesting to review an item and never show it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2

Few points..

For these units BTUs are a direct conversion from watts so it's only heating as much as any other 1500w heater (yes even the $9.99 wal-mart seasonal special or your blow dryer). How it circulates the air/sends the heat out might be different and preferable for some.

These cost about $30 per unit a month running them a significant amount of time. They are energy efficient if you only need to heat < 20% of your homes sq footage from what I remember calculating in the past.

Otherwise natural gas/heat pumps seem to be more cost effective.

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

I don't see where this is listed as new or respiffed.

jdavis103

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdavis103

On one hand, it talks about how it uses infrared heating to only heat the objects in the room, for high efficiency. Sounds great!

On the other hand, it has a blower, and its internal thermostat is obviously sampling the air temp to regulate things.

Those sound contradictory to me. So really it's just a heater with a fan?

iluvmyritz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iluvmyritz

I bought a 3-element infrared one (link below) on Wayfair.com yesterday. $79 including shipping... No tax charged and with them, you get 3% cash back for a future purchase. I've used them a lot with no problems and they ship quickly. Hopefully, the heater I get will be a good one. Says it heats up to 1,000 square feet too. I believe the heater offered on Woot! is a 2-element heater (mine, 3) but a little quieter than mine will be (39 dB vs. 46)... shouldn't make much difference though.

http://www.wayfair.com/Dynamic-Infrared-Dynamic-Infrared-3-Element-Heater-Quartz-PDC-DYNS1037.html

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

angerbender wrote:I don't see where this is listed as new or respiffed.

It's NEW. It's been added to the sale.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zott

Woot is going to let the poor people in Alaska freeze...

Shipping Note: Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and APO addresses is not available for this item

javaguy147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javaguy147
jdavis103 wrote:On one hand, it talks about how it uses infrared heating to only heat the objects in the room, for high efficiency. Sounds great!

On the other hand, it has a blower, and its internal thermostat is obviously sampling the air temp to regulate things.

I think this is due to its dual system. I'm guessing the +PTC part means a PTC ceramic heating element, which are just like any other heating element (it creates heat that then needs to be dispersed).

Edit: Nevermind I guess they make PTC ceramic infrared "bulbs" too.

andymerrill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andymerrill

Tried one of these last winter. If does not heat a room anywhere near as well as the claim, but for smaller rooms it does ok. Not really worth the cost in my opinion.

graystang86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graystang86
jdavis103 wrote:On one hand, it talks about how it uses infrared heating to only heat the objects in the room, for high efficiency. Sounds great!

Yes, it's a temperature controlled heater with a fan.

The following is true for most digital temperature controlled heaters:
The sensor is in the back, behind the input filter. Having the sensor in the air input stream makes sense.

But, many people put these heaters against a wall and on the floor. It's colder on the floor. And, walls have a huge thermal mass. So, the room may be warm, but the wall and the floor can still be cold.

The air going into these units looses heat (gets colder) from the wall and the floor.

Therefore, these types of units are good for keeping a room at a set temperature always. But, they are not that good for heating up rooms to a temperature.

Of course, if the units are put *safely* on a living room table, then the heater is able to get a good sense of the room temperature, and the heaters work very well at controlling the room temperature.

Of course, again, a person has to know how each model does temperature control.

As for the Dr Heater, I found the user manual online:

http://www.vminnovations.com/sys/resource.ashx?guid=c822eb85389c4dcd96040fc7441761e4

I have a similar type that I bought from ebay.

One thing some people may want to watch for is if you can set the temp and also set a low or high output setting. Many heaters of this type don't allow that ability.

From the manual:
======
The desired temperature will set and execute after the LED display stops flashing and displays the room temperature again. This is your ideal
setting. The heater will keep LOW heating output when room
temperature is 1 degree lower and 2 degrees higher than the set temperature in order to keep the space warm enough. The heater will turn OFF when the room temperature is 3 degrees higher than the set temperature, and will start
automatically when the room
temperature drops below 2 degrees than the set temperature.
For example: If your ideal setting is 72F, the heater will keep LOW heating output in 71F to 74F, and will
turn OFF in 75F.

======

I hope the above helps.

psychomuse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psychomuse
jdavis103 wrote:
So really it's just a heater with a fan?

Well, not JUST a heater with a fun... a heater with a fan inside a nice wooden box!

wyatt001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyatt001

It looks like my Vaporizor um incense burner i bought from China

oldlostsoul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oldlostsoul
psychomuse wrote:...nice wooden box!

"nice" is subjective.
"wooden" is a weasel word.
"box"... yeah, it is a cube.

Is the box made out of walnut or cherry or even oak? Highly doubtful. They don't mention what type of "wooden" is used. In fact, the description doesn't mention "wood" or even "wooden". ... niiiice.

gambler726

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gambler726

I bought one last year and love this heater! Works perfectly in my cold bedroom above the garage.

egelasi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egelasi

I have a heater similar to this (box unit with infrared heat)...It works best in a (more or less) sealed room. In our dining room with pocket doors, we can keep most of the heat from escaping and have a nice warm room. In our living room that opens to the foyer and stairs, it doesn't seem very efficient at all. Which I think most space heaters would have a problem.

With that being said, the heat that come out of this heater is "warm" so it is much more comfortable than a space heater with metal elements that "burns" the air with "hot" heat. You don't suffer as much from dry sinuses and throat like those cheaper space heaters.

It is a very comfortable heat.

wooting48

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting48

Hoping for the best on this one, will use it to heat the bedroom in my condo where I am at 95 percent of the time that I am home and keep the rest of the house cold for the most part. Why heat the whole house when you are not using it most of the time. Hope this works out well and is less expensive then heating the whole place to make up for the $105 this costs.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Is this heater Dr. recommended?

rogrocco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rogrocco

I have owned this heater for three years. It keeps my bedroom very warm on the coldest winter days.

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle
iluvmyritz wrote:a little quieter than mine will be (39 dB vs. 46)... shouldn't make much difference though.

Subjective. Some people consider 39 dB to be loud (I don't), and 46 dB is more than twice as loud.

briansmac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages briansmac

Walmart has this same heater, different name, Source Heat, for $79. SAME SPECS and has an added bonus(for us anyway), a 12 hour timer. LOVE IT! Infrared heat is the best. We gave up on our electric radiator heaters. All the heat goes up! With these the fan circulates the heat evenly. Go check out Walmart folks! :o

dacrete

quality posts: 105 Private Messages dacrete
briansmac wrote:Walmart has this same heater, different name, Source Heat, for $79. SAME SPECS and has an added bonus(for us anyway), a 12 hour timer. LOVE IT! Infrared heat is the best. We gave up on our electric radiator heaters. All the heat goes up! With these the fan circulates the heat evenly. Go check out Walmart folks! :o

this one also has a 12 hour timer

duckfanbuck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages duckfanbuck

I can't wait for the '1500 watts are all the same watts' discussions to begin.

scotchnsodie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotchnsodie
duckfanbuck wrote:I can't wait for the '1500 watts are all the same watts' discussions to begin.

Yeah, I love those. Even better when they try to show me it's the same as my baseboard heaters because they misunderstood the information on the website they show to back up the claim.