Search Amazon Search Google

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Dyson DC25 Animal
Price: $229.99
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3664 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at The O

and

TONS of reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3664 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out a video

namorama

quality posts: 32 Private Messages namorama

Heeeeey, I actually own this!

I broke down and bought this after I moved out to an apartment and realized my roommate didn't have a single usable vacuum cleaner.

It's been a workhorse during the past year. Nothing's broken. Came with Animal attachment, too, which I am not entirely sure is very effective. But for an upright, it's light and maneuvers nicely, especially with the ball. Using the extension wand is kind of a pain, though, if only because the tube it's connected to reeeeeeeeally wants to contract while you're trying to stretch it so that you can get to, say, a windowsill. And since it doesn't have adjustable suction, you need to be careful when dusting off the fabrics, like a curtain.

But it's a workhorse! It'll serve you well, as long as you care enough about it to empty the canister often, wash filters every 3 months or so, and clear out the hair on the roller occasionally.

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Gah!!! I wish I had the money set aside to get this! This would be great for my roommates and I since there are three kitties running about.

RaiseAkitas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RaiseAkitas

I wish I could say that I like Dyson vacuum cleaners but to me they are cheaply built. Good suction but the wand and attachments are very cheap. For the money my suggestion would be to buy a good used Filter Queen. I did and am very happy with the system. They are great machines but too expensive to buy new. Sorry Dyson, just my 2 cents.

rachelle33

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rachelle33
RaiseAkitas wrote:I wish I could say that I like Dyson vacuum cleaners but to me they are cheaply built. Good suction but the wand and attachments are very cheap. For the money my suggestion would be to buy a good used Filter Queen. I did and am very happy with the system. They are great machines but too expensive to buy new. Sorry Dyson, just my 2 cents.

Some assume because it is made of plastic not metal that it isn't sturdy and will break. It couldn't be farther from the truth. It is made of practically indestructable plastic while not being heavy as a metal vac is!

acraigl

quality posts: 45 Private Messages acraigl

Have this exact model and love it, hands down the best vac I ever owned. Since my wife sheds more than our dog (love ya honey), I really appreciate how easy it is to remove and clean the rollers. This was a major event previously that is now a 2 minute task.

Also great for my allergies, with almost no contact with debris during use.

Highly recommend.

tradinick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tradinick

So why are there so many REFURBISHED Dyson's if they are so great? They are ALWAYS on woot. Thousands of them. Seems to me that a company focused on quality would get less then 1% returns....

stockit2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stockit2me
tradinick wrote:So why are there so many REFURBISHED Dyson's if they are so great? They are ALWAYS on woot. Thousands of them. Seems to me that a company focused on quality would get less then 1% returns....

I have one of these, purchased brand new a year ago. The brush keeps turning off. I've cleaned it and nothing. Looked on internet for solution and there isn't any. Lot of people have the same problem.

mikebola

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebola
stockit2me wrote:I have one of these, purchased brand new a year ago. The brush keeps turning off. I've cleaned it and nothing. Looked on internet for solution and there isn't any. Lot of people have the same problem.

call 1866-my-dyson. it may be a bad reset switch, the wire controlling the brushbar may be damaged, or there could be hair buildup in the bearings for the brushbar.

mikebola

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebola
tradinick wrote:So why are there so many REFURBISHED Dyson's if they are so great? They are ALWAYS on woot. Thousands of them. Seems to me that a company focused on quality would get less then 1% returns....

amazon has a lot of their products refurbished on their own. probably due to their very forgiving return policy on misused and user-damaged products.
woot is owned by amazon. this is where they unload the stuff they got back and can't sell on their normal website. they want to avoid dissatisfied customers due to badly refurbished products. (every refurbished product I've ever purchased on woot was improperly repaired. EVERY ONE. One usb-powered battery actually swelled up and burst during charging. I thoroughly blame woot for that.)

dogboi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dogboi

I recently bought a refurbished Dyson DC25 Animal (on Amazon), and I absolutely love it. I had vacuumed the floor with my old vacuum just two days before the Dyson came. I had to empty the Dyson out twice because it picked up so much more dirt, and that was just the four rooms downstairs. The hose is easy to get to without constantly being in the way. Definitely the best upright vacuum I've ever owned.

pe5t1lence

quality posts: 7 Private Messages pe5t1lence

I am going to have to jump in here and play devil's advocate.

Consumer Reports doesn't list a single Dyson upright or canister on their top rated list.

Unfortunately it is behind a paywall:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/vacuum-cleaners.htm
or go view the magazine at your local library.

My own experience with Dyson was very negative. It was a roommate's vacuum. The vaccum leaked at all the hose connection points.
When I needed to use it the brush wouldn't turn. Customer support told me that they couldn't sell me a belt. They told me you have to go to a Dyson service center, because a normal person couldn't change the belt "unless you are an engineer." So I just took it apart and fixed it without their help.

mrfishwhiskers

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mrfishwhiskers

Ordered a Dyson DC25 Animal about a year ago or so (refurbed) from woot and no issues to date. I have a dog and 2 cats. Easy to clean the fliters and has a switch to do wood or carpet. I can't say it picks up much more than my previous Kenmore or Hoover, but is lighter and moves better. I would recommmend it.

sknitsloa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sknitsloa

We have owned a Dyson Animal for 7 years with no problems what so ever.

We bought into the Consumer Reports hype and purchased another of their "top" recommended vacuums. We used it for a year and it was terrible. We finally for tired of it and traded it for the Dyson, which also wasn't recommended back then by CR.

We had to empty our Dyson twice on the first use after the "top" vacuum from CR was used.

Our vacuum is still working after all these years using it at least once a week, but we want to upgrade for the smaller head size and better technology.

We might be in for one!

I.M. Lost
"Those looking to pick a fight, probably aren't in one."

madcat6183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madcat6183

I've had a Dyson 07 I bought on here Refurbished 7 years ago and it's still running like the day I bought it. Wife did break the bottom latch on the bin, so we just have to be careful with that. But 7 years, in my 4 years of college I went through 4 other brand vacums and used it WAY less than my Dyson. Think I will grab one of these just to have it for if or when my 07 goes. This is a much nicer unit and a great price.

ceejaysquared

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceejaysquared

Eh. The Dyson I bought from Woot wasn't this one, but it was a refurb. It's never worked well.

Customer Service for Dyson has been great - or at least friendly, if not entirely helpful. In the end (after third call and hours on the phone/hold), they recommended that I take the rubber seal off the bottom of the vacuum to reduce suction. This eliminated the problem, but also seriously reduced the vacuum's suction.

Meh. It's okay. But I won't buy another Dyson.

clmace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clmace
stockit2me wrote:I have one of these, purchased brand new a year ago. The brush keeps turning off. I've cleaned it and nothing. Looked on internet for solution and there isn't any. Lot of people have the same problem.

Mine started having this problem a few days ago. I pulled the whole cleaning head apart (it's a refurb so no warranty to void) and eventually discovered that the issue was with the power connecter from the cleaning head to the vacuum body shorting out.
I contacted Dyson about a replacement for this power connecter (since a new cleaning head is ~$100), to my surprise, they volunteered to send me a new cleaning head for free as 'one-time courtesy"!
I've had my DC25 for 5 years and it's the only vacuum that has ever held up to our perpetually shedding lab, and now I can say the customer service is just as good. Call them!

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

I bought one of these DC25 refurbs from Woot about a year ago. It looked and was packaged like new. Absolutely the best vaccuum I've ever owned. I can't belive how much cat hair it picks up. I had a question about it, and called Dyson. No waiting, got a helpful person right away. They registered it for me, and gave me an extra 6 month warranty for free. This rates right up there for one of the best purchases I've ever made

Bill

pheinze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pheinze

How is it on hardwood floors? Does it scratch the floor like most uprights?

u29460

quality posts: 0 Private Messages u29460

Bought recon'ed one off w00t in April of 2009. Best vacuum the family has ever owned. This from a husband with an obsessive compulsive vacuuming wife, 4 kids, 4 cats and 2 dogs. Yeah, I know.... That unit is put through a workout daily. The only caveat is you have to take care of it. Clean brushes, change filters and such.

[size=really big and fancy][color=redish]Woo Woo Toot![/color=tuitonga][/size)

ryzellon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryzellon

Vacuum repair tech speaks about his work.

pgelliott

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pgelliott
pheinze wrote:How is it on hardwood floors? Does it scratch the floor like most uprights?

We own one we bought new. Works great on both wood and rug floors. the upholstery attachment is the best tool we've seen for getting dog hair off the sofa.

steveylypc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steveylypc

46 bagless vacuums rated better by Consumer Reports than the "better" DC41 Dyson, dozens priced lower than this refurbished one. Dyson is more hype than performance.

atkinsww

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atkinsww

Any idea how long the hose is? I've got stairs, and my Hoover has a super long attachment hose. Thanks.

theotherjen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theotherjen

I've had 5 Border Collies living in my house for the past year and a half. I must say I was skeptical paying so much when I bought my Dyson. But I was going through one vacuum/year and ALWAYS buying the Consumer Reports best rated ones. Believe the hype. Dyson is that good. The only negative is that I have to empty the canister a LOT. I wish it were bigger. That's it though. No other complaints.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
rachelle33 wrote:Some assume because it is made of plastic not metal that it isn't sturdy and will break. It couldn't be farther from the truth. It is made of practically indestructable plastic while not being heavy as a metal vac is!

that's definitey true. I got this hoover which was like 2x heavier than my previous vacuum. I pushed it a few times and told the wife here is the new vacuum, but I never see her use it. She said it was too heavy and I thought what's the big deal with carrying it up the stairs. But after using it, it wasn't the carrying around, but the constant pushing back and forth, where it eventually get to you and you realize all your energy expenditures is going into that.

jspielfogel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspielfogel
mikebola wrote:amazon has a lot of their products refurbished on their own. probably due to their very forgiving return policy on misused and user-damaged products.
woot is owned by amazon. this is where they unload the stuff they got back and can't sell on their normal website. they want to avoid dissatisfied customers due to badly refurbished products. (every refurbished product I've ever purchased on woot was improperly repaired. EVERY ONE. One usb-powered battery actually swelled up and burst during charging. I thoroughly blame woot for that.)

That's exactly correct. The reason they have so many refurbished units available is that they have a very generous and open return policy. So they have a lot of B-Stock from returns that either had nothing wrong with it or maybe one thing had to be replaced, so they fix it, clean it up, put ALL NEW filters in it, and box it up for refurbish sale.

jspielfogel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspielfogel
lwang wrote:that's definitey true. I got this hoover which was like 2x heavier than my previous vacuum. I pushed it a few times and told the wife here is the new vacuum, but I never see her use it. She said it was too heavy and I thought what's the big deal with carrying it up the stairs. But after using it, it wasn't the carrying around, but the constant pushing back and forth, where it eventually get to you and you realize all your energy expenditures is going into that.

We've had a DC25 for a few years now and it's the best vacuum I've ever owned. The wand tubing isn't the greatest and it starts to fail after a few years, but then again we're really REALLY hard on this vacuum and it keeps going and going. It's light, easy to use, easy to clean and has great suction. I'm probably going to buy another one soon though because I think we may have beat this one beyond fixing it. Dyson makes great vacuums, this is a great deal!

timberhiker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timberhiker

Okay woot! why would you email this offer today just to see that it's sold out, not cool.

mrbarker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrbarker

Our order was lost! I'm quite disappointed that we couldn't get this deal. Woot has refunded my money, but this is the second time out of four purchases that an issue has come up. I'd be a happy customer if I could get this vacuum at this price, but I'm guessing that's not possible anymore.