WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Gift cards as gifts?
  • 39.5% - Yes: easy for me, and the recipients can get what they want 910
  • 41% - OK for people who are hard to shop for 944
  • 19.4% - No, lame 447
2301 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

salanth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages salanth

I'm generally pretty good at finding gifts for people. That said, we redeemed points for gift cards that we have as emergency gifts, just in case.

We don't mind getting them, but really, we prefer cash if it's going to be that way.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I'd rather give thoughtful gifts.

But

I'd rather receive gift cards, for the most part.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

If i don't know the recipient well enough to pick out an appropriate gift for them, i don't need to be buying them anything. Just sayin'.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

sweett23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweett23
balisane wrote:If i don't know the recipient well enough to pick out an appropriate gift for them, i don't need to be buying them anything. Just sayin'.

Then you have parents who have more stuff than they need, so gift cards to a favorite restaurant are appreciated ... and really cool if the card itself is customized with a favorite picture of the grandkids.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

I think gift cards are great. I have given my nieces & nephews Gift Cards from gas stations. Granted, they're company specific, so I usually try to find out which station they tend to go most often.

nicholseg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholseg

I prefer to select gifts and I never give gift cards to people who can afford whatever they want/need. But I do use gift cards for my young adult nieces and nephews if I cannot find a suitable gift or if I know that money is tight for them.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

OK to give, if you don't have a clue what they might want or there's a big gift pool and you don't want to give a duplicate or have to fork over the gift-receipt, forcing them to go back to the store for something else.

As far as receiving, I just want a visit. Come over and chat or watch the game or play wootopoly.

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs

I have no problem with gift cards in most situations, with the exception of a child's birthday. Kids enjoy getting actual gifts.

There are times when gift cards are a better choice than gifts. For example, I coach soccer. After every season, the team parents show their appreciation by getting me a gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods. I have also given small gift cards to schoolteachers and delivery (UPS/USPS) drivers. When you don't know people well, but appreciate them and want to give them a little something, gift cards are the way to go.

dns12999

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dns12999

Usually only if it is someone who asks for a gift card to a particular store or restaurant.

myrddinemrys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages myrddinemrys

Not a universal/absolute rule (ie: there are exceptions where a gift card is ok*), but:

As a general rule, IMNSHO, gift cards send the message that, "I _WOULD_ just give you some money, but I don't trust you to spend that money correctly. So I've given that money to that man over there, and he's given me this card to give to you. Go talk to him, and he'll help you spend my money correctly!"

* I put as many of my purchases as possible on my Discover card. And part of my cash-back bonus options includes spending X cash-back-dollars to get Y real-dollars on gift cards (where Y > X). Where the gift cards I can get for less-than-face-value are ones that I know will be appreciated (friend who loves Red Lobster, Dad and Home Depo, etc...).

Yeah, I'll give an exemption to my rule in those cases.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
myrddinemrys wrote:Not a universal/absolute rule (ie: there are exceptions where a gift card is ok*), but:

As a general rule, IMNSHO, gift cards send the message that, "I _WOULD_ just give you some money, but I don't trust you to spend that money correctly. So I've given that money to that man over there, and he's given me this card to give to you. Go talk to him, and he'll help you spend my money correctly!"...

I think that Gift Cards to specific stores or restaurants say, "Yes, I took the time to find out what you like, but think you're rather pick out the actual gift yourself."

For example, my niece gives me a Gift Card for Best Buy every Christmas, because she knows I shop there.

abaskind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abaskind

I have a stepfather that is one of those guys that wants nothing. He has what he likes and sticks to it. So, gift cards to his favorite restaurant is always a welcome gift.
What else do you get for an engineer who already has a good papershreder?

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill

I wish I COULD give actual gifts to everyone but that isn't really practical. My son and daughter-in-law are a 14 hour drive away and have been there while my grandchildren have grown up. It pains me deeply to say it, but I don't really know them well as people. Add to the mix size, personal style preferences, availability and the likelihood that I will duplicate something which they already have, and getting them something suitable that is the correct size etc. and the probability of getting them something they'll actually like approaches that of my waking from a dream and the last 6 years has been a particularly unpleasant dream.

Alas!

The two grandsons who live here close, I know much better. With them it's more a matter confirming size/color with our daughter.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

I just tell people to give me cash, as a lot o places don't have gift cards. (Like mouser, mcmaster, the local scrap yard, and hobbyking) In addition you don't know which store will have the best price on the item, so a Lowes giftcard is useless if it is half the price at home depot.

Still single, can't imagine why.

jmhatfield07

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jmhatfield07

I am in the 19%! Absolutely no gift cards. I hate the feeling of reciprocity implied by someone giving me a gift card. Like if I didn't spend as much on my gift I might feel a little guilty even if my gift was heartfelt. I don't want to know how much someone can afford to spend I want to know that they care about me. In the case of gift cards I would rather take someone out for drinks, dinner, or a show if they don't want any sort of tangible gift. And if someone wants to give a gift card I would rather just get a funny card from them that makes me laugh and be done. If you are afraid I won't like your gift that is cool don't buy me anything, but I don't need the gift card, as I hate shopping!