quality posts: 3702 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

OK review (6 out of 10) over at trustedreviews.com

[MOD EDIT] Removed incorrect link.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3702 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a demonstration

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

If you want to blow $105 this is for you.

knodi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knodi

my very first comment, and I just had to say, I have NEVER had a single complaint about a $10 off-brand cheap chinese desk fan. This is an amazing piece of engineering, but their whole spiel about "choppy air" is just the craziest thing I've ever heard.

gryphonking

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gryphonking

In my case, I want good air-movers for inside an aviary. A bladeless fan with no grill to catch feathers or claws in is the perfect thing!

www.gryphonking.com

rachelle33

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rachelle33
conanthelibrarian wrote:OK review (6 out of 10) over at trustedreviews.com

and

very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at target.com

Actually your link to the Target page is the wrong model...it's the $299 10" one not the $329 12" one being sold here. Here is the correct Target 12" link...

http://www.target.com/p/dyson-am01-air-multiplier-12-table-fan-silver/-/A-12225893?reco=Rec|pdp|12225893|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

[MOD EDIT] Edited link.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

We own them and absolutely love them! We have them for almost 2 years without a hitch.

There isn't much more to say. You Dyson haters will disagree but not even own a Dyson fan. They work and work well!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

quantumspec1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quantumspec1

5.28 gallons per second is just over 42 CFM. In case you want to compare it in units that every other fan manufacturer uses.

ithinkblue

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ithinkblue

I bought one of these on Woot last year. Used it all summer. My honest opinion ~ It's a fan...but, it's a real awesome looking fan. I'm all about looking awesome!

applebitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applebitch

I wanted one so got one, very modern tiny home and in Fl it gets hot, so this and waiting for my new nest smoke detector

blipper67

quality posts: 8 Private Messages blipper67
ithinkblue wrote:....My honest opinion ~ It's a fan...but, it's a real awesome looking fan. I'm all about looking awesome!

Just what I need, a low output device posing as a fan in drag.

Pass......

GeekyRebel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GeekyRebel

Meh... Seems like woot gets a lot of these dyson refurbs/reconditions

Freelance Artist
http://rsteelearts.com/

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
MichXelle wrote:We own them and absolutely love them! We have them for almost 2 years without a hitch.

There isn't much more to say. You Dyson haters will disagree but not even own a Dyson fan. They work and work well!

Dyson haters don't hate them because they think they don't work. They hate them because they are a ripoff that preys on the stupidity of certain people.

Oh and did I mention they actually do have blades? If you take you're fan apart you'll find a blade assembly in the base... Oh I forgot, I shouldn't have mentioned that as most rubes that fall for the ads think there are magic fairies making the air move with their wings... Sorry to tell you the truth.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
gryphonking wrote:In my case, I want good air-movers for inside an aviary. A bladeless fan with no grill to catch feathers or claws in is the perfect thing!

Finally, someone found an advantage to the dyson fan. BTW, it does have blades. They're in the base.

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
quantumspec1 wrote:5.28 gallons per second is just over 42 CFM. In case you want to compare it in units that every other fan manufacturer uses.

To put that in perspective, here is a typical normal size table top fan http://www.amazon.com/Air-King-12-Inch-Oscillating-9102/dp/B0007Q3RNO

It moves 900cfm of air but cost less than half the price of this Dyson. To move as much air you would need over 20 Dysons... Now do you Dyson fools still think this fan is the best thing since sliced bread?

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
thomas998 wrote:Dyson haters don't hate them because they think they don't work. They hate them because they are a ripoff that preys on the stupidity of certain people.

Oh and did I mention they actually do have blades? If you take you fan apart you'll find a blade assembly in the base... Oh I forgot you I should have mentioned that as most rubes that fall for their adds think their are magic fairies making the air move with their wings... Sorry to tell you the truth.

Well said. Dyson didn't even invent this type of fan. Their claims of 15X air multiplication are ridiculous.

stglad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stglad

How does the noise generated by the Dyson compare to a conventional fan?

dmh2191

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmh2191

I do not own this or any other Dyson product, nor do I have plans to purchase.

I am moved to comment here for the first time. It is one thing to post a review of a product or attempt to be helpful in some way and to even be witty in doing so. It is quite another to be rude and condescending.

I know that you anti-whatever product people view those who are interested in whatever product with distain; however, I really think you need to find another forum in which to express your thoughts.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I see that Dyson does have a lot of fans.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

zippy_the_pinhead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zippy_the_pinhead

Bought one of these last time. Works well, but it's noisy. Makes sort of a turbine whine. It can move a lot of air if you're not in the mood for an intimate conversation.

PH

mdebreceni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mdebreceni

The boys at Dyson found some neat things to do if you have a bunch of these fans and a balloon.

Sadly, you can only buy 3 at a time...

rghoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rghoff

These do have a fan or squirrel cage in the base. So it's not like it's magic. They basically take air from the base and blow it out the the ring. If anything, it could potentially resonate at some frequency that we aren't hearing, but your dogs are thinking Which Team Fumbles?

rghoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rghoff

HA! Sorry Woot, didn't know you had a policy about trying to abbreviate "Which Team Fumbles"! :-)

manhandsha

quality posts: 37 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

rghoff wrote:HA! Sorry Woot, didn't know you had a policy about trying to abbreviate "Which Team Fumbles"! :-)

Just filters, but yeah, there are a few in place. They just make us giggle, so no worries and we know what you meant.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

I love nice design and appreciate the value in it.

This fan is "cool". But not $300 cool, perhaps questionably not even $100 cool.

Mr. Dyson is a master marketer and pretty good designer. He and the original retailer have already extracted 2/3 of the original price's margin.

So if you love the design enough, buying this Woot is a way to save yourself $200!

But don't buy it because you think it moves more air.

BTW, I am not a Dyson-hater - I'm an admirer. We inherited a Dyson vacuum. While the design is nice and it works OK, it is not a particularly great vacuum.

rekindaguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rekindaguy

What about power consumption? No specs for that? Wrong!

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
rekindaguy wrote:What about power consumption? No specs for that? Wrong!

@rekindaguy, it is interesting that a fan that claims to "lower energy bills by up to 20%" does not publish power consumption, either here or at least prominently on their website. Of course that same savings due to turning down the A/C would be there for any fan.

As to efficiency it would be illuminating to compare the power consumption of this Dyson vs. a decent quality traditional fan with similar CFM rating. I suspect there is a fair amount of parasitic energy loss due to the air sucked into the squirrel cage blower in the base getting routed up into those restrictive circular openings.

BTW, show me a fan that does not "Muliply" or "Amplify" air and I'll show you a broken fan. Clever words.

pd123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pd123

Needs a remote control.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo

Some relatives got one of these to replace their Vornado that is about 60 years old and needed the cord replaced. Interestingly, the Vornado incorporated some similar principles even that far back (hence the Vortex-Tornado portmanteau)

The Dyson seems to put out far more noise than it does air, while the Vornado did just the opposite. They were very much unimpressed, so for about $25 in parts I repaired the Vornado and expect it to last them another 60 years. I don't know if the Dyson ever did find a home.

shdwsng

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shdwsng

While I don't own this specific fan, I do have one of the 10" fans that are very similar. I've had it for going on 5 years now, and that fan gets used 6-8 hours *every night*. It's been going strong all this time, and I don't see it dying for another 3-5 years if not more.

It's a little bit quieter than I've found a normal fan to be, and people are right about the "turbine whine" that it can produce at high speeds. The bigger fan will deepen that noise a bit, though.

Is this fan worth paying regular price for? Nope. But at this price point you're going to get a really good fan with no exterior blades.

lvytn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lvytn
gryphonking wrote:In my case, I want good air-movers for inside an aviary. A bladeless fan with no grill to catch feathers or claws in is the perfect thing!

I'm sure for $100 you could design and build a much more effective "bladeless" fan for an aviary. I doubt this fan moves much air. Consider that is says "12 inch" but how big is the ACTUAL fan in the base?

katpelrine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katpelrine

I do not own this model. I purchased a refurbished Dyson AM05 heat and cool fan. In my opinion the noise of the fan is no more or less than a standard rotating stand fan. It cools the room quickly and has saved me from having to put the AC on for at least a few extra weeks at the onset of summer. Same for the heat during the winter.
The main benefit saw in purchasing a dyson "bladeless" fan over a substantially cheaper one is that I have a toddler who likes to push buttons and touch things she should not so the safety value was a huge incentive.

evereddie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evereddie

I think of Dyson like I do Bose. Real audiophiles will know what I mean.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
evereddie wrote:I think of Dyson like I do Bose. Real audiophiles will know what I mean.

I don't consider myself a real audiophile but I still know what you mean.

There are certain companies like Monster / Bose / Dyson that rely on clever marketing and sometimes unique (not necessarily better) design to justify their incredible price markups. At $100 for those who want a 'cool looking fan' it is much better than the initial retail price, but nobody should be confused or swayed that it is anything more than an average fan otherwise.

evereddie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evereddie
theguruguys wrote:I don't consider myself a real audiophile but I still know what you mean.

There are certain companies like Monster / Bose / Dyson that rely on clever marketing and sometimes unique (not necessarily better) design to justify their incredible price markups. At $100 for those who want a 'cool looking fan' it is much better than the initial retail price, but nobody should be confused or swayed that it is anything more than an average fan otherwise.

Yup, you got it. And that understanding could easily slide into a political discussion, but not here.

quantumspec1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quantumspec1

I designed a fan that multiplies the airflow infinitely, as long as you are in a perfect vacuum.

nashmofo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nashmofo

Got it today...looks like carp...where does it say on woots site that its a "B" grade