Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3194 Private Messages lichme

Item: KitchenAid Cookware Set - 2 Styles
Price: $129.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $27 Two-Day OR $30 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/27/2013 - $129.99 - 21 comment(s)
8/23/2013 - $129.99 - 53 comment(s)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Huh, my mom's been looking for new pots and pans.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn about the difference between hard anodized and stainless steel

cosmicac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cosmicac

My experience of buying cookware on Woot: if it's made in China, you're not going to like it.

jthebird1977

quality posts: 35 Private Messages jthebird1977

I had questions about the Limited Lifetime Hassle Free Replacement Warranty. I poked around and found this Limited Lifetime Replacement Warranty info at kitchenaid, but no mention of hassle free. What is the hassle free part? Is it only hassle free for a limited time?

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

gatsbyglen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatsbyglen

I don't really cook - I guess I'll go with Anodized.

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn about the difference between hard anodized and stainless steel

The English in this article is amazing.

(Also, not all hard-anodized is non-stick (though a lot of it is).)

That being said, I like both my stainless steel and (nonstick) hard anodized pots and pans. What the trick is with the stainless steel is that once you get your food out you should get that pot/pan filled with hothothot soapy water so as to help with the cleaning process. I've found that when I do this, along with drying it immediately after washing, my pots stay lovely and shiny as if they were practically new. I don't have these particular ones, so I can't speak for them, but that's been my experience with stainless steel cookware.

eliw03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eliw03

We bought the same stainless set from a retail store 4 years ago. We have been happy with it. It definitely is not non-stick though.

seadog42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seadog42

We got a set of Flint SS pots with Gold Bond Stamps in 1961 just before we got married. The handles are gone, but the pots are still fine. We also have some more modern hard anondized cookware, the handles are fine but the pots show wear... We also have some cast iron cookwear that is well seasoned, both the handles and pots are just fine.. Thank you for your time!!!

hughn

quality posts: 7 Private Messages hughn
testudoaubreii wrote:The English in this article is amazing.

(Also, not all hard-anodized is non-stick (though a lot of it is).)

That being said, I like both my stainless steel and (nonstick) hard anodized pots and pans. What the trick is with the stainless steel is that once you get your food out you should get that pot/pan filled with hothothot soapy water so as to help with the cleaning process. I've found that when I do this, along with drying it immediately after washing, my pots stay lovely and shiny as if they were practically new. I don't have these particular ones, so I can't speak for them, but that's been my experience with stainless steel cookware.

I will ad the following. Wait until the SS pot comes up to temperature before adding any oil or food. Drop a little water and when you see the water turn into small "dancing" little balls, it indicates that it has reached temperature. This process will result in non-stick of most foods.

No health issues like the conventional non-sticks.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Does everyone understand what retail "licensing" is? It's often when a company that has lost it's mojo sells or rents it's name to others to attempt to cash in on the little name-recognition that is left.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Cyrckis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cyrckis
eliw03 wrote:We bought the same stainless set from a retail store 4 years ago. We have been happy with it. It definitely is not non-stick though.

Calling on my decades of experience with SS pans: (courtesy of the Frugal Gourmet):
"Hot pan, cold oil - food won't stick". Heat your empty pan to temp, add oil, then immediately add food. Also, when browning meats, don't flip too soon, or a lot will stick to the pan. Be patient and wait til it "releases." All the browned bits will stay on the meat.

acanarelli

quality posts: 272 Private Messages acanarelli
cosmicac wrote:My experience of buying cookware on Woot: if it's made in China, you're not going to like it.

I'm so tired of hearing that trite reference to Chinese products...if it's made in China, it's junk!

It was no different 5 or 6 decades ago when American consumers made the very same reference to Japanese products. Comedians on TV would poke fun at Japanese products and always garner tumultuous laughter. That only lasted a short while. By the 70's the US was sending enough gold to Japan to sink the islands. Cars, trucks, heavy equipment, electronics (consumer and commercial), optics and a long list of other products became highly coveted in the US.

The very same thing is happening with Chinese products. So, call it junk if you want to but the Chinese are learning how to better make and market their products and soon my put the US company you work for out of business.

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn

Gourmet Distinctions 10 piece is $180-255 on Amazon Without Prime shipping option. Finally - a deal!

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

"It's been proven every day that food prep merely requires the bare minimum to just get buy."

Really? Just get buy?

Also can someone tell Customer Service to check their e-mails and respond to them? I've sent 3 messages to them in 2 weeks and have gotten exactly zero responses.

lkay54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lkay54

This set is available on Amazon for $10 less. Not all sales here are the best price.... do the research before you buy.

kahuna75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kahuna75

I am converting all my HAA to SS - will never buy another HAA again- eventually it will wear and expose the aluminum - especially of you cook alot of acidic dishes.

If you cook a few times here and there I am sure it will be fine- I am going with All Clad for my SS have a few pieces already and filling in as good deals pop up.

The issue with this set is you really do not need a 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 upright saucepans - if the 2.5 or 3.5 was of the wine variety then it would make sense.

sbmoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbmoore
lkay54 wrote:This set is available on Amazon for $10 less. Not all sales here are the best price.... do the research before you buy.

It's actually a different set on Amazon. This is still a better deal. I'm in for 1!

mgherring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgherring
acanarelli wrote:So, call it junk if you want to but the Chinese are learning how to better make and market their products and soon my put the US company you work for out of business.

This is not an assertion that I would be proud to make if I were you.

chanceygardener

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chanceygardener

Can either set be used for induction cooking? Please add this type of information to your site.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
acanarelli wrote:I'm so tired of hearing that trite reference to Chinese products...if it's made in China, it's junk!

It was no different 5 or 6 decades ago when American consumers made the very same reference to Japanese products. Comedians on TV would poke fun at Japanese products and always garner tumultuous laughter. That only lasted a short while. By the 70's the US was sending enough gold to Japan to sink the islands. Cars, trucks, heavy equipment, electronics (consumer and commercial), optics and a long list of other products became highly coveted in the US.

The very same thing is happening with Chinese products. So, call it junk if you want to but the Chinese are learning how to better make and market their products and soon my put the US company you work for out of business.

"Chinese are learning how to better make and market their products" but are not ready quite yet. Unless a foreign company such as Apple watches very closely, quality control sucks because suppliers of materials cannot be trusted.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

sultanofsick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sultanofsick

The rubber grip on the handles appears to only be on the bottom instead of around the whole handle. I would think this would make them unsafe to pick up without a heat pad. Can anyone comment on this? (HA)

DJG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DJG
sultanofsick wrote:The rubber grip on the handles appears to only be on the bottom instead of around the whole handle. I would think this would make them unsafe to pick up without a heat pad. Can anyone comment on this? (HA)

Have used the large pot with cover for nearly 10 years, excellent quality, and the padded handle is comfortable and has held up perfectly. Never hot to hold.

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

This Tramontina set at Walmart was rated highly by Cook's Illustrated and is only $10 more. Also, this Emeril Pro-Clad set sometimes go on sale around $150-170. On both of those sets, the tri-ply goes all the way up the sides instead of being only on the base.

acanarelli

quality posts: 272 Private Messages acanarelli
mgherring wrote:This is not an assertion that I would be proud to make if I were you.

I NEVER said or gave any reason for you to believe that I was proud of making such an assertion. MANY people are calling Chinese products "junk", and yet the stuff is blowing off the store shelves, this is true and it is real. In spite of so many people denigrating Chinese products, a lot of people are buying these products...maybe some of the same people who bad mouth the products are buying when no one is looking.

lotusfox12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lotusfox12

An awesome deal from an awesome site. Thanks, Woot!

populuxe

quality posts: 3 Private Messages populuxe

You know, every restaurant I've worked in uses regular aluminum for EVERYTHING (storage and holding is usually SS). Many people that have dismissed aluminum in their home are eating out 5-6 times a week making the anti-aluminum effort moot.

kahuna75 wrote:I am converting all my HAA to SS - will never buy another HAA again- eventually it will wear and expose the aluminum - especially of you cook alot of acidic dishes.

If you cook a few times here and there I am sure it will be fine- I am going with All Clad for my SS have a few pieces already and filling in as good deals pop up.

The issue with this set is you really do not need a 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 upright saucepans - if the 2.5 or 3.5 was of the wine variety then it would make sense.

CelenkaInc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CelenkaInc
chanceygardener wrote:Can either set be used for induction cooking? Please add this type of information to your site.

You cannot use the HAA on induction. Only the Stainless Steel..and even then if it's lined with non stick, I have had problems. Straight SS or cast iron is about it for induction.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
cosmicac wrote:My experience of buying cookware on Woot: if it's made in China, you're not going to like it.

If. otoh, the SS set though seems completely made in Thailand. Don't know about this specific SS product and its bonding to copper, but I've heard Thailand makes good straight up quality stainless pots and pans and has for years.

Nate650 wrote:This Tramontina set at Walmart was rated highly by Cook's Illustrated and is only $10 more.

I may be wrong, but that original set had been made in the USA. They have since switched and they are now made in China (covered on a somewhat recent front page slickdeals thread; you can also refer to the q&a on the walmart page, search for 'made').

acanarelli wrote:I'm so tired of hearing that trite reference to Chinese products...if it's made in China, it's junk!

It was no different 5 or 6 decades ago when American consumers made the very same reference to Japanese products.

I hear you and agree.

That said, there are differences. The Japanese prior had decades of copying (in education, ideas, implementation, design) and cottage industries to rely on and build from, even centuries of specialized industry (steel, art/lacquer, optics). As such, during their transition, if it didn't work, they were going to make it work, improve on it, and make the next advancement.

China generally didn't have this in abundance prior to their boom, so the transition will not be (and hasn't been) as smooth.

This is also reflected in their attitudes and handling of patents and buying up companies.

mgherring wrote:This is not an assertion that I would be proud to make if I were you.

You are aware that one of the main reasons for the economic slide is because those running US companies sell out, right? If pride matters, then you know the failure is entirely on us. We've repeatedly had entire companies sold because those that run it want the cash, only to have them shut down, broken down, with material tech and patents sent overseas, locking us out and losing jobs and industries here.

It's like the Cadillac commercial talking proudly about how Ferrari uses magnetic ride control developed by them. Now look up who actually owns the tech, and whose designs they are really using now.

NewYork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NewYork
acanarelli wrote:So, call it junk if you want to but the Chinese are learning how to better make and market their products and soon my put the US company you work for out of business.

When it comes to a lot of this cookware - especially the stainless steel stuff - there is an undeniable problem with Chinese goods... and with other low-cost makers in Thailand and Indonesia. Poor quality control, and perhaps a lack of know-how, results in inclusions within the steel, which lead to black spots and pits in the finished product. A lot of stuff that would be "factory rejects" in the US or Europe gets boxed up and shipped out.

The pots and pans work just fine, but you might not be 100% satisfied with the cosmetics. You'll also see iron oxides (rust) leaching out of the incusions into water left standing in the pot - which is harmless, but a bit off-putting.

You can exchange a really bad piece, but any warranty that requires you to ship a pot or pan at your own expense, for replacement, is not much of a guarantee. (Although CA residents get a break: state law mandates that the seller pays for shipping.)

New York NY

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur

I prefer SS to HAA/non stick because I prefer the browning performance of SS. One can brown with non-stick, but it's not the same (slower, lighter color achieved before food is done). I use a little water and maybe a tablespoon of baking soda to make a paste to clean my SS pans. That and a scrubby sponge are all you need to easily shine them up like new. SS will not wear out like a coated pan will.

Aluminum's impact on Alzheimer's Disease is based on the fact that aluminum salts are concentrated in the brain of AD patients, but no correlation between AD and aluminum cookware has ever been established. Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth and the 3rd most abundant element after oxygen and silicon. Exposure is common and unavoidable.

I don't think it matters who made the pans - it's the details you want to care about.

fairywigs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fairywigs

Anyway it looks great. Even though i know little about cooking.

hughn

quality posts: 7 Private Messages hughn
Nate650 wrote:This Tramontina set at Walmart was rated highly by Cook's Illustrated and is only $10 more. Also, this Emeril Pro-Clad set sometimes go on sale around $150-170. On both of those sets, the tri-ply goes all the way up the sides instead of being only on the base.

The local store has been out of stock of THE Tramontina for about a year.I don't know if they will carry it again.

Bethy54

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bethy54

Anyone know if these are tri-ply or 5-ply?

Thank You.

Bethy54

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bethy54
Bethy54 wrote:Anyone know if these are tri-ply or 5-ply?

Thank You.

OOPS--I meant the SS set.

phishneslo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages phishneslo
Bethy54 wrote:OOPS--I meant the SS set.

It is 1-ply. With a 4-layer bonded plate on the bottom.

kierkier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kierkier

Just perused the comments - I didn't notice anyone else who owns these commenting. I own the SS version and LOVE them. Easy to cook, easy to clean. They heat and retain temp great, and look fantastic while simmering on the stovetop.

My one and only complaint is I wish my set had a lid for the larger frying pan, but we use an old lid from our previous set of pots and pans.

We made the transition from non-stick to SS and do not regret the switch at all.

phishneslo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages phishneslo
Cyrckis wrote:
"Hot pan, cold oil - food won't stick". Heat your empty pan to temp, add oil, then immediately add food.

Interesting. I always heat my pans to temp before adding anything, but I let the oil warm up too. If it is cold, I think it is too viscous to thinly coat the pan and get it all the microscopic pores in the steel.

Also, I think of SS pots and pans as similar to cast iron, insofar as being "seasoned" helps.
My wife always tries to sneak them in the dishwasher, and the first time I use it after her transgression, no matter what I do with the oil, things stick.
My theory is that when the water dries on them in the heat of the drying cycle, the mineral hardness of the water gets baked into the pores and the fine lines of the brushed finish, which acts as a barrier between the oil and steel of the pan. When food is added it gets under the oil, the moisture dissolves the minerals, and the food comes in contact with the steel itself, sticking like a mofo.

After cooking in oil I often will wipe out the pan while it is still hot, and if it wipes clean, I'm all done (especially if I am using it again soon).
The next level would be putting a little water in (no soap) while it is still hot, scrubbing with a SS scrubbie until it shines, and towling it dry.
When I do use soap (whenever I wait to wash the pan until after it has cooled, for one reason or another), I towel it dry, put it back on the stove to get it hot (to get any moisture out of the pores), lightly coat it with non-stick spray or a little oil, and wipe it out.

I find with a pan treated like this, i.e, having hot metal in contact with oil before wiping with a dry towel and putting away, I can use less oil the next time, and nothing ever sticks.

Fortunately, I am only compelled to this level of anality with my frying and saute pans.

Don't even get me started on when she puts knives in the dishwasher...

Incidentally, I prefer bonded disk bottom pans for frying and saute, while I prefer multi-ply for sauce pans and pots. The disk bottoms are much thicker and can more evenly heat to the bottom of the pan than mulit-ply ever could (unless the pan was half an inch thick and weighed 20 pounds).
Also, they can deliver more heat to the bottom of the pan because it isn't wicked away to the sides where you don't need it. This is especially the case on smaller or weaker burners.
Multi-ply can deliver more even heat to a pot full of something because the heat is conducted up the sides, so keeping a full pot of something at a simmer isnt going to have the temperature gradient between top and bottom or convective currents swirling the contents around that a disk bottom pot would.
I am not sure which would boil a pot of water more quickly though... Maybe I'll go have a race.

I must admit, this is all conjecture. I am a philosopher, not a thermodynamicist or a chef. And I don't own a stove. I set a pot or pan on top of my toaster (4-slice) and tape the lever down.

cosmicac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cosmicac

I didn't say it was junk, you did; all I'm saying is you're not going to be satisfied with this set if your looking for premium cookware set.