lawnchair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lawnchair
timmy8765 wrote:Can anyone confirm that this will encode component video to the HDMI out? I'm trying to minimize the number of long cable runs to my projector.

That appears to be a no. "When choosing a connection format, bear in mind that the AV receiver doesn’t convert between formats, so only outputs of the same format as the input will output the signal."

Which is something I'd love too. I have one vintage composite-only feed. Not only is that another cable, but I'd have to switch on the TV itself (not all switching in the receiver).

They do make composite-to-HDMI standalone boxes (monoprice brands one for around $50), which would add yet another black box to the growing fire hazard of my media tower.

ClarkJeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClarkJeff
mysterytrout wrote:I've had way too many problems with my 606 to ever consider an Onkyo product again. Whenever I see one of their products come up I feel duty-bound to mention their poor HMDI design and sub par customer service.

The Pioneer receiver I bought in the 90's is still going strong even relocated to the outside porch. And the Denon I bought to replace the Onkyo is solid.

I hope those who have Onkyos never have any problems because once they start...

mysterytrout,
I'd recommend contacting Onkyo Support to see if they'll repair your receiver at no charge. Even years out of warranty, they repaired mine for free. They've had issues in the past, but appear to be trying to remedy that.

beardinabox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beardinabox

I am not clear how the Zone 2 speaker set-up works. Judging from the picture of the back of the unit, and the number of speaker connections it shows, it appears to me that you can only hook up Zone 2 if you do not use surround speakers in Zone 1? Is this correct or am I missing something?

BBoozer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BBoozer
bcollins21 wrote:I'm a 62 year old luddite. Can I hook up a freaking turntable and existing speakers to this?

Yes. You would use any of the audio connnectors (TV, PC, etc.) without using the yellow video input and choose that input to play. As for speakers, as long as they can handle the max output (check the labels on your speaker, but rarely can older ones not handle to 80w max), they are fine.

Ainokea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ainokea
Madmax31 wrote:I bought one similar a year or so ago from Woot,(HT-RC430 5.1-Channel 3D Ready). My friend bought a Sony that I actually like a little better for less money, so in my opinion you're paying a little for the name.

Anyway most receivers have a 3.5 aux in plug, but not my Onkyo. Does anyone know what I need to hook up a phone? When my friends come over and want to stream there phone to my receiver they get irritated.

An RCA to 3.5mm cable is all you need.

jwilkens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwilkens

The product description says you can use "Onkyo's remote apps for iPod touch®/iPhone® and Android devices". However, this version doesn't come with the USB Bluetooth or wireless adapters. Does anyone know if these remote apps only work if you buy one of these additional USB adapters?

BBoozer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BBoozer
BBoozer wrote:Yes. You would use any of the audio connnectors (TV, PC, etc.) without using the yellow video input and choose that input to play. As for speakers, as long as they can handle the max output (check the labels on your speaker, but rarely can older ones not handle to 80w max), they are fine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jwilkens wrote:The product description says you can use "Onkyo's remote apps for iPod touch®/iPhone® and Android devices". However, this version doesn't come with the USB Bluetooth or wireless adapters. Does anyone know if these remote apps only work if you buy one of these additional USB adapters?

Good point. We've made it more clear in the sale that an additional adapter (not included) is required. Thank you for pointing that out.

I am NOT customer service.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bfselby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfselby

.2? What fool has only 2 subwoofers?

My only real comment is I have a simple stereo Onkyo receiver (TX-8255, refurb) and I have no issues with it. Sound is great, not really much that can go wrong. I have an Onkyo iPod dock that sucks. The remote is quirky and the connector is hard to engage.

chrismnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismnj

if you use HDMI, are you forced to listen to surround sound all the time, or can you bypass for the built in TV speakers?

casca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages casca
theother1 wrote:"The single output has an Audio Return Channel, so you can enjoy TV programs with home theater sound."

Just wondering... Why would you need this? For OTA broadcast TV? Typically, wouldn't you just plug your DVR/cable box into an HDMI input?

What if you are watching OTA programming? Not everyone likes wasting $$$ on cable/satellite/whatever.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

I've had a TX-NR515 for about nine months without any issues. It appears to be a year older and maybe a step up from this one, since mine has a little more power and does video upscaling (for 480i sources only).

This one has MultEQ for automatic speaker configuration, which is better than the basic 2EQ mine came with. Without looking it up I think MultEQ adds EQ on the subwoofer out, which would be nice.

lostlink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lostlink
bcollins21 wrote:I'm a 62 year old luddite. Can I hook up a freaking turntable and existing speakers to this?

Before you buy a pre-amp, check the specs. on your turntable. My turntable has a built in pre-amp, with the on/off switch accessible via a slot on the platter.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1
jbitzerjr wrote:You can google anything in the world with the word "problems" and you'll get results. I've not had any issues with either of my Onkyo receivers.

Go to any AF forum and you will see countless complaints......that's great that yours works fine but doesn't help the countless of folks that have a lemon....

Fatal1tyKn1ght

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatal1tyKn1ght

I keep getting "Sorry, but while you were completing your order, our shipping deadline passed. Check the new date and shipping speed to make sure it's still what you want." when ordering even though it is cearly before 11:30AM CST. It wont even let me choose Two-Day shipping. Anyone experience this?

kc5hwb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kc5hwb
accessories4less wrote:I don't know of any receiver will will stream video over the network. That's a job for your Bluray, smart TV, Roku, etc.

Well this A/V receiver has HDMI inputs, so I thought it might have the smart capability built in.
Also, Roku doesn't do network streaming.

slowcredit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slowcredit
webwidejosh wrote:Damm them. Digital digital digital all day long and then you buy it and they have an analog-only feature.

Thanks for sharing that!

for $25 http://amzn.com/B005PWPUW6 all your analog/digital problems are solved - Use them to send appletv audio to zone 2. . .

lyman123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lyman123

Never again will I get an Onkyo. I've had 2 of them and they have had nothing but problems with the HDMI boards.

Save it for a Yamaha.

zimm0who0net

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zimm0who0net

Speakers are probably OK (check the ohm rating of the receiver and the speakers), but the turntable generally won't work without a separate preamp. Most people on woot are too young to remember that turntables generally didn't have line level outputs, but instead required specially equipped inputs in the receiver. Those started disappearing from receivers about a decade (or more?) ago. You can buy external devices that will do the trick, or more modern turntables will actually have the pre-amp built in.

Sardinicus

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Sardinicus

This receiver has poor audio specs relative to others recently sold here.

Full-range 80 Watts into 8 Ohms at 0.7% distortion reflects an underpowered IC amplifier.

Compare this to the Onkyo HT-RC560 that was offered here a while back, which had 95W per Channel into 8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD -- much, MUCH better specs.

Today's receiver is likely about half the useful power of that one, and will struggle to deliver undistorted sound at home theater volume levels.

krazykrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krazykrl

Would I be able to use this receiver to plug in all my HDMI devices and ARC the sound through my existing home theater? Or would I need speakers plugged into the receiver to do that?

Right now all my HDMI devices plug into my Panasonic TV, which ARC's the sound to my Panasonic home theater. Home theater only has one HDMI port, so I can't plug devices to it directly. But I have audio delay/sync issues and looking for a fix.

willyone

quality posts: 26 Private Messages willyone
billthegunowner wrote:Onkyo makes good products, but this receiver seems a little weak on power.... 80W per Channel (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.7% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC).

I've got two 5.2 recievers, one a Sony, the other a JVC, and they're both rated at 125 Watts per channel at 8 ohms.

Do your Sony and JVC have discrete amplification? A single 125W amp powering 5 channels would be 25W/channel vs. Onkyo's discrete 80W/channel.

bizatch22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bizatch22
timmy8765 wrote:Can anyone confirm that this will encode component video to the HDMI out? I'm trying to minimize the number of long cable runs to my projector.

According to Onkyos site this model does not do any analog to digital conversion. I was interested in that as well. Too bad, would have put me over the edge to buy it.

Jeffrey Ford

topal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topal

Does anyone ever go to the manufacturer's website to get more info?

It's amazing the things you can learn by doing it yourself.

ClarkJeff

lyman123 wrote:Never again will I get an Onkyo. I've had 2 of them and they have had nothing but problems with the HDMI boards.

Save it for a Yamaha.

lyman123,

I'd suggest to contact Onkyo Support to see if they will fix your HDMI boards for free. They did for mine years out of warranty.

pressf1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pressf1

you ever wonder why these duderz insist on redacting and classifying stuff that everybody already knows?

The medium is the message, that's why. It has nothing to do with the stuff that is blacked out. The black bits spell out the message - it's sight in plain hiding. If you know the code, for example, this message says, "ur mom lol" ...

Kids these days. It's very discouraging.

joexner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joexner
geod998 wrote:most of the problems are either firmware update related-or just "uninformed/under informed" consumers.

I've had 2 Onkyo receivers. The first, a TX-SR505S, was rock solid until I upgraded. The second, a TX-SR608, has been having intermittent problems with HDMI. One day it works, the next it doesn't, the third day it works again. There are definite quality problems with the last few years' Onkyo receiver models, to the point that I personally wouldn't want to risk dealing with it.

wired67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wired67

I'm getting the same error...any help appreciated!

Fatal1tyKn1ght wrote:I keep getting "Sorry, but while you were completing your order, our shipping deadline passed. Check the new date and shipping speed to make sure it's still what you want." when ordering even though it is cearly before 11:30AM CST. It wont even let me choose Two-Day shipping. Anyone experience this?

jhomes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhomes
beardinabox wrote:I am not clear how the Zone 2 speaker set-up works. Judging from the picture of the back of the unit, and the number of speaker connections it shows, it appears to me that you can only hook up Zone 2 if you do not use surround speakers in Zone 1? Is this correct or am I missing something?

There is a pair of RCA output jacks marked Zone Two Out on the back of the receiver. This receiver does not use the built in amps for powering the speakers in zone two, probably because it is a 5 channel amp. (Some 7 channel amps use the two "rear channel" amps when in second zone usage.) The zone two output in this receiver requires that you connect up a stereo amplifier to these outputs to power the zone two speakers. This amp must be capable of driving however many speakers are connected in zone two (some homes have speaker systems in multiple rooms.). The volume of the second zone speakers may or may not be controllable via the volume control on the receiver. You will need to read the owners manual to determine the exact setup you need for zone two.

accessories4less

quality posts: 1 Private Messages accessories4less
beardinabox wrote:I am not clear how the Zone 2 speaker set-up works. Judging from the picture of the back of the unit, and the number of speaker connections it shows, it appears to me that you can only hook up Zone 2 if you do not use surround speakers in Zone 1? Is this correct or am I missing something?

Simply feed the zone 2 RCA outputs into an external amplifier. This one is an amplifier and speaker selector all in one and will allow you to connect 4 pairs of speakers to your zone 2

4 zone amp with speaker selector

conman77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages conman77
kc5hwb wrote:Does it stream video over the network, as well as audio?

DLNA support for audio only.

jrobmn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrobmn
jwilkens wrote:The product description says you can use "Onkyo's remote apps for iPod touch®/iPhone® and Android devices". However, this version doesn't come with the USB Bluetooth or wireless adapters. Does anyone know if these remote apps only work if you buy one of these additional USB adapters?

If you connect the receiver's Ethernet connector to the same network that your iPod Touch/iPhone connects to via wireless, then you don't need to buy any additional adapters to use the remote-control app.

(edit: so says the user's manual)

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill
lorenzodemedici wrote:I don't know about 5.1 vs. 5.2 But about the sub outs, two is obviously to make it more convenient for people who use two subwoofers (left and right). Depending on how the preamp out stage is configured, using a splitter could theoretically cause problems, although in the real world it's unlikely.

Would one of you audiophiles please explain to this old electronic tech why one would want/need/desire two sub-woofers? I was taught that frequencies down in the portion of the audio spectrum that sub-woofers operate are essentially impossible for the human ear to locate directionally. That being the case, what would one gain by having 2 (likely identical) channels of non-directional sound?

dudeinmyrtlebeach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dudeinmyrtlebeach

Unless woot is a newly authorized dealer, there's no way Denon is going to honor any warranty on this. They *really* enforce this.

**oops -- it's an Onkyo. And woot is an authorized dealer.

Duh. My bad.

ClarkJeff

CyborgBill wrote:Would one of you audiophiles please explain to this old electronic tech why one would want/need/desire two sub-woofers? I was taught that frequencies down in the portion of the audio spectrum that sub-woofers operate are essentially impossible for the human ear to locate directionally. That being the case, what would one gain by having 2 (likely identical) channels of non-directional sound?

More Boom in Room?

virgo091085

quality posts: 0 Private Messages virgo091085
dudeinmyrtlebeach wrote:Unless woot is a newly authorized dealer, there's no way Denon is going to honor any warranty on this. They *really* enforce this.

does anyone know if woot is an authorized reseller for Onkyo? does this item have a warranty?

update: http://us.onkyo.com/Support/dealerlist.php looks like this confirm woot is authorized

rpmosby

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rpmosby

Like our Luddite friend, I am also not so many years away from "old." However, I'm reasonably tech savvy and worked in radio for many years. All the same, I don't really know what this is--and I'd like to know. Clearly, WOOT doesn't want to insult the great tech intelligence of its core community, but would it really kill you to explain things in a sort of nuts and bolts way once in a while? This appears to be something I might like to have, but I don't know. For example, what the hell do you connect it to? Not your phone. Speakers? A TV? I remember Onkyo with much fondness (yes, I started in radio when we cut tape with razor blades and ended--not retired, just ended--with Pro Tools digital editing).

I know for certain that there are many people in their 40s who don't know what this is. Yes, I know what a receiver is, but don't know that this is the receiver I used to attach to speakers.

Please be more clear. The world moves fast these days and some of us have blinked.

Thank you.

willyone

quality posts: 26 Private Messages willyone
rpmosby wrote:Like our Luddite friend, I am also not so many years away from "old." However, I'm reasonably tech savvy and worked in radio for many years. All the same, I don't really know what this is--and I'd like to know. Clearly, WOOT doesn't want to insult the great tech intelligence of its core community, but would it really kill you to explain things in a sort of nuts and bolts way once in a while? This appears to be something I might like to have, but I don't know. For example, what the hell do you connect it to? Not your phone. Speakers? A TV? I remember Onkyo with much fondness (yes, I started in radio when we cut tape with razor blades and ended--not retired, just ended--with Pro Tools digital editing).

I know for certain that there are many people in their 40s who don't know what this is. Yes, I know what a receiver is, but don't know that this is the receiver I used to attach to speakers.

Please be more clear. The world moves fast these days and some of us have blinked.

Thank you.

Well I'm about to go north of 60 but for me it has served as the brain of my home entertainment center. I connect my TV, speakers and other components like bluray player, CD or MP3 player, etc. and control everything from the receiver and the output comes from the 5, 6 or 7speakers you connect to it. It provides the surround sound decoding to power my 5 surround sound speakers and active subwoofer for an amazing audio experience whether I'm watching TV, a bluray movie or just listening to my favorite FM station. You can change and control how the sound "sounds" by adjusting it to the dimensions of the room your using it in and, if you like you can change whether it sounds like your at a live sporting event, in a big hall, etc. by changing what they call 'voices'. It allows you to switch to your different components using it's remote. I'm not as up on some of the newer features firsthand but you can now attach wirelessly to the internet via your WiFi router and stream, just a means of attaining video content,movies from Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and many other internet sites that provide entertainment content. But more than anything it's the "brain" that provides the 5.1 or 7.2 surround sound, acts as a switching center to switch to different components (both audio & video) and pump the sound out of the attached speakers. Don't know if this is the type of info you were looking for but I gave it a shot.

williamt1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamt1980

Count me as another person burned by Onkyo. I bought a NR-609 about a year and a half ago. Couple months ago, it seemed there was a widespread issue of the audio cutting out on several systems, along with the USB dying and network unable to update firmware. Mine was similarly affected, almost as if via a kill switch, since my unit had been working just fine a week prior.

Prior to that issue, I had a constant problem with the HDMI cutting out and refusing to show an image when the temperature was hot (no active cooling on the unit, but it wasn't enclosed either).

When it worked, the Onkyo was a great deal. However, after upgrading to a Denon X3000, there's a huge difference in audio fidelity and spatial recognition in movies.

All that being said, at this price, it's a good receiver if you just want a 5.2 system. Just make sure you have warranty.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
CyborgBill wrote:Would one of you audiophiles please explain to this old electronic tech why one would want/need/desire two sub-woofers? I was taught that frequencies down in the portion of the audio spectrum that sub-woofers operate are essentially impossible for the human ear to locate directionally. That being the case, what would one gain by having 2 (likely identical) channels of non-directional sound?

They are difficult to locate directionally, but they spread around the room in weird and wonderful ways. If just one person will be listening, and that person always sits in the same spot, then there's no need for two. Two subs, though, allows one to get better coverage around the room.

Left and right doesn't make a lot of sense, but front and back does. Or diagonally. Or whatever works for your room.