craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
theother1 wrote:"The single output has an Audio Return Channel, so you can enjoy TV programs with home theater sound."

Just wondering... Why would you need this? For OTA broadcast TV? Typically, wouldn't you just plug your DVR/cable box into an HDMI input?

A lot of TVs have streaming video apps these days. Mine has Vudu, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc.

I don't use them, because I've got a Roku and like the remote better, but, if I did use the TV apps, I would use the audio return channel to listen to them.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
craigthom wrote:They are difficult to locate directionally, but they spread around the room in weird and wonderful ways. If just one person will be listening, and that person always sits in the same spot, then there's no need for two. Two subs, though, allows one to get better coverage around the room.

Left and right doesn't make a lot of sense, but front and back does. Or diagonally. Or whatever works for your room.

@craigthom, I was taught the same way as @CyborgBill. Thanks for that rather straightforward 2-sub explanation as it seems logical.... for a large room.

But I wonder whether it would withstand my favorite BS tester, the blind test, in an 'average' or smallish sized room?... and/or with properly positioned proper single sub?

Don't we also like a very nice single sub much better than two wimpy subs? (At least those of us who prefer high quality sound vs simply removing the pane-putty from our windows.)

Apologies if my AV company upgrade-or-suffer-humiliatingly-sucky-experience cynicism is leaking.

AeroSquid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AeroSquid
kc5hwb wrote:Well this A/V receiver has HDMI inputs, so I thought it might have the smart capability built in.
Also, Roku doesn't do network streaming.

I set up a PLEX Server at my mothers house and added a couple of drives to her pc full of movies. she can watch them through her ROKU just fine with the PLEX App. I'm not sure that technically qualifies the ROKU as streaming them but close enough for me. They play pretty well via wifi although i avoid 1080p and only stock 720p movies on her pc.

onkyousa

quality posts: 31 Private Messages onkyousa
willyone wrote:I've bought only Onkyo receivers since 1985. I've owned three in that time and they all still work perfectly. I started with a 25W quartz lock tuner and currently have a 5.1 A/V receiver. When I started buying them they were the only brand offering discrete amplification. That is, most receivers had one amp to power all channels but Onkyo has always had an amplifier for EACH channel which produces much cleaner sound. Anyone not familiar with receivers should know you will never be sorry you spent your money for an Onkyo! I've been an audiophile all my life and started back before digital when we chose components based on least THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). I've always worked my Onkyos hard everyday and they've held up. Before A/V receivers I only used them for music but after the advent of the A/V receiver I've used them even harder as the brain to my home entertainment system. Personally, I'll never buy anything but an Onkyo.

Hello willyone; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to thank you for your great commentary on our products and your enduring support as well. We thank you and appreciate customers like yourself for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

arnoldstrife wrote:So why is there a .2? instead of .1. I understand there's 2 pre-amp sub out but is that any different than 1 pre-amp sub out with a spliter or why you would need 2 pre-amp sub out in the first place?

Hello arnoldstrife; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to answer your inquiry on the use of 2 dedicated subwoofer outputs over using a splitter connection to drive the LFE signal to 2 separate subwoofers. Utilizing the 2 dedicated subwoofer pre-outs provides a more TRUE and richer LFE output than splitting that same signal to two subwoofers. It also provides better calibration when using the 2 pre-outs as well.

We also want to inform you that we also have a 24 hour Product Support department available via phone (800) 229-1687, email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) and support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to further assist you with any questions or concerns you may have on our Onkyo products. Thank you again for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

bcollins21 wrote:I'm a 62 year old luddite. Can I hook up a freaking turntable and existing speakers to this?

Hello bcollins21; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. Unfortunately this receiver, unlike the next model above this TX-NR 525, doesn't provide PHONO RCA inputs. Does your turntable provide a PHONO RCA pre-out as well?

onkyousa

alextse wrote:I've had three different Onkyo receivers. My current TX-NR606 is dying due to a known defect in the HDMI handshake and it's been taking longer and longer to get the connection. We always start the system up 5 minutes ahead of time to make sure it's "warmed up." As this one is a 525, that suggests it is a later model (2 vs 0). I just got a 717 to replace my 606, it reportedly does not have the HDMI issue. So I still like Onkyo but I'm now more wary than I was of their quality.

Hello Alextse; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. We were glad to read that you are currently enjoying your TX-NR 717 receiver, but would like to know if you have recently contacted our Parts & Services department about servicing your TX-SR 606?

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

onkyousa

bclinton1 wrote:Roll the dice with Onkyo. Just google "problems with Onkyo receivers" you will find a lot of frustrated owners. Their support sucks and the quality of their receivers is at best questionable....

Hello bclinton1; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. Contrary to popular folklore; this issue may not be relevant to the common misconception of our internal components and would like to further asset you; so will happily report back with satisfactory comments on the performance of your receiver. Please contact our 24 hour Product Support department promptly at (800) 229-1687, option # 3 for Product Support assistance and we would like to create a support ticket. We have made great progression from previous models and based on recent customer sentiment; our diligence is widely appreciated.

onkyousa

jbitzerjr wrote:You can google anything in the world with the word "problems" and you'll get results. I've not had any issues with either of my Onkyo receivers.

You are absolutely correct!! This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to thank you for your great commentary on our products and your enduring support as well. We thank you and appreciate customers like yourself for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

Madmax31 wrote:I bought one similar a year or so ago from Woot,(HT-RC430 5.1-Channel 3D Ready). My friend bought a Sony that I actually like a little better for less money, so in my opinion you're paying a little for the name.

Anyway most receivers have a 3.5 aux in plug, but not my Onkyo. Does anyone know what I need to hook up a phone? When my friends come over and want to stream there phone to my receiver they get irritated.

Hello madmax31; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to provide an answer to your question. Since you are not seeking to use the USB connection on the front panel to connect your phone onto; you can use a RCA y-adaptor cable (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312469622&sr=1-6) to connect into the frontal RCA audio inputs on your HT-RC 430.

We also would like to inform you that we do provide 24 hour Product Support at (800) 229-1687 and also have a FAQ and Product Support forum as well at forums@onkyousa.com to better assist you as well. We thank you for your posting and also for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

ClarkJeff wrote:Just a little story about my Onkyo experience... In 03/2009, I bought a refurbished HTS-9100THX directly from Onkyo along with a 1 year (I think) extended warranty. The receiver had a refurbished sticker, but everything else appeared new. Around 09/2010, I started having issues with the composite video ports and OSD freezing, so sent it in for Warranty repair. Around 08/2013, I noticed white video artifacts on some HDMI ports and others just blacking out. Woot actually had another Onkyo receiver on sale that I was about to purchase, but decided to contact Onkyo first. Onkyo repaired the unit for free (I paid shipping there), years out of warranty. Apparently, they've had some quality/reputation issues lately, but are trying to change that. Would I buy an Onkyo again? ABSOLUTELY.

Hello ClarkJeff; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to thank you for your great commentary on our products and your enduring support as well. We are also glad to assist yoyu with your HT-S9100 and its receiver. We thank you and appreciate customers like yourself for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

geod998 wrote:most of the problems are either firmware update related-or just "uninformed/under informed" consumers. You see the same stuff for every brand. Most of the problems I've seen relate to situations which 90+% of owners would never encounter. The price of these units wouldn't be skyrocketing and they wouldn't be top choices on Amazon if they were truly that bad. There are plenty of choices out there. Onkyo just seems to consistently offer a better feature set for the buck.---Just sayin

Hello geod998; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to thank you for your great commentary and support. We are actively trying to progress and provide the exceptional products we are known to manufacture. We thank you and appreciate customers like yourself for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

mysterytrout wrote:I've had way too many problems with my 606 to ever consider an Onkyo product again. Whenever I see one of their products come up I feel duty-bound to mention their poor HMDI design and sub par customer service.

The Pioneer receiver I bought in the 90's is still going strong even relocated to the outside porch. And the Denon I bought to replace the Onkyo is solid.

I hope those who have Onkyos never have any problems because once they start...

Hello mysteryroout; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to inquire if you have contacted our Parts &services department lately about your TX-SR 606 and what available options we can provide to resolve any servicing issues with the SR 606 promptly.

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

onkyousa

billthegunowner wrote:Onkyo makes good products, but this receiver seems a little weak on power.... 80W per Channel (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.7% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC).

I've got two 5.2 recievers, one a Sony, the other a JVC, and they're both rated at 125 Watts per channel at 8 ohms.

Hello billthegunowner; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. The new TX-NR 525 is an economically answer to customers who seek an entry level AV receiver. Customers who would like to utilize an AV receiver in a small listening environment (bedroom/ basement) or office setting. For those seeking more practicality and features- you may opt for the TX-NR 626 or higher models.

onkyousa

conman77 wrote:So is AM/FM included in the analog source? Would I be able to have the TV/Cablebox (hdmi) playing on the TV hooked up to it, and have my Zone 2 speakers outside playing the AM broadcast radio? (football games)

Hello conman77; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. NOTE: ZONE 2 is an ANALOG only source- With all of our products that have a Zone 2 or more features they use only analog connections (RED &WHITE) so you need to hook up an analog connection from the source into the back of the receiver into the input that you are using. The digital connection will remain in the main room and the analog will be redirected to Zone2 or the other Zone outputs. So basically- any input connected to the receiver already using HDMI will also need a RCA Composite audio (red and white) cables into the SAME input (i.e HDMI> CBL/ SAT and RCA AUDIO cables> CBL/SAT). Now when you press the specific input for ZONE 2- the analog audio source will broadcast the audio and the digital audio will be broadcasted into the main room.

onkyousa

timmy8765 wrote:Can anyone confirm that this will encode component video to the HDMI out? I'm trying to minimize the number of long cable runs to my projector.

Hello timmy8765; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to provide some insight to your inquiry. Unfortunately the TX-NR 525 doesn't up convert from COMPOSITE or COMPOMENT to HDMI. It utilizes a pass thru connection: COMPONENT connection IN-> COMPONENT connection OUT, HDMI IN -> HDMI OUT.

onkyousa

chrismnj wrote:if you use HDMI, are you forced to listen to surround sound all the time, or can you bypass for the built in TV speakers?

Hello chrismnj; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to provide some insight to your inquiry. You can use either the HDMI THRU feature to have the audio broadcast from the TV speakers when the receiver is on STANDBY status or you can enabled the HDMI AUDIO TV OUT feature to ON when the receiver is active.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 since 2007 and it's still going strong. (this is the older version of today's deal) It's my audio/video hub for absolutely everything. Television, computer, roku, Apple TV, cable television, etc. Still going strong after all these years. No complaints.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

bsshrink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsshrink
Entropy156 wrote:Speakers, yes. Turntable, a qualified no. You *can* hook one up, but you'd have to buy and run it through what's called a pre-amp first, as this receiver doesn't have a built in pre-amp that can deal with phono-level signal. Translation: you could hook it up, but you (and the receiver) wouldn't hear anything because the signal coming from the turntable is too quiet and you need an external pre-amp to make it louder.

I run my turntable thru an ART DJPRE II Phono Pre Amp I bought on Amazon for $49. Put it behind another component (with breathing room) because the LED is always on. Good gain control, very clean & a revelation playing vinyl thru a 6 or 8 channel system

antim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antim

Wish i would have jumped on the deal. I got back from best buy with a brand new Yamaha rx-v525 that I got for $219 two hours before this deal came in. After two days of trying to get this amp hooked up to my components I find out that 5 AV connections really means only 1, the other four are component...useless to me...I should have bought the Onkyo. can't find anything even close to this deal anywhere on the internet....Onkyo, I know you are watching...how about making a new lifelong customer and selling me one for this price?

theycallmechad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theycallmechad
antim wrote:Wish i would have jumped on the deal. I got back from best buy with a brand new Yamaha rx-v525 that I got for $219 two hours before this deal came in. After two days of trying to get this amp hooked up to my components I find out that 5 AV connections really means only 1, the other four are component...useless to me...I should have bought the Onkyo. can't find anything even close to this deal anywhere on the internet....Onkyo, I know you are watching...how about making a new lifelong customer and selling me one for this price?

I'd just wait a few days for a Wootoff. I'm sure they will have it then.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

Well mine arrived today. It's DOA. I turn it on and it shuts right back off. I tried calling the support number from the onkyousa account they kept posting in this thread. I waited on hold and listened to smooth jazz for several minutes and then the line goes static. Tried three times, same result each time. Guess I'm contacting woot.

Edit 11/21: I tried calling OnkyoUSA support again, this time I got to talk to a live person. He said my only option is to either take it to an authorized service center (my nearest one is almost a 4 hour drive) or to contact Woot. Woot has yet to respond to my request. Bummer. I spent $205 on a heavy piece of plastic, and I either have to drive 8 hours or (best case) Woot will issue an RMA and I still have to spend $30-40 in return shipping.

Edit 11/22: Woot! support to the rescue! Thanks!

cupcub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cupcub

So I bought this and it arrived today. But it seems the HDMI problems have affected mine as well. If I send my BluRay HDMI signal directly to the TV it's crystal clear. But if it goes thru the Onkyo Receiver, it's all garbled like it has a bad connection. I tried it on 4 different inputs with the same result. Onkyo is closed already but I'll call them tomorrow. Meanwhile my entire entertainment system is torn apart and unusable...

cupcub

cupcub wrote:So I bought this and it arrived today. But it seems the HDMI problems have affected mine as well. If I send my BluRay HDMI signal directly to the TV it's crystal clear. But if it goes thru the Onkyo Receiver, it's all garbled like it has a bad connection. I tried it on 4 different inputs with the same result. Onkyo is closed already but I'll call them tomorrow. Meanwhile my entire entertainment system is torn apart and unusable...

Update. Called Onkyo USA and got the single most unhelpful, rude customer service rep I have ever personally experienced. She acted like I said I had 6 arms when I told her my problem with the HDMI ports. Her exact phrase was "I'm not sure why you are calling us". Seriously. That's what she said.

I know it's probably too late for most of you, but I am never buying an Onkyo product again, and I suggest none of you do either.

eddieregi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddieregi

All is well with my receiver. Ordered Monday. Delivered Friday.
Here's hoping I don't have to test Onkyo's customer service.

By far the hardest part was getting the the ends of my speaker wire twisted tightly enough to get through the holes in the lug.

I guess that's what I get for stubbornly using the same speaker wire I had in in college - in 1979.

tpx419j

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpx419j

Sooo I opened mine up last night only to find that it's DOA, no sound output o_0. Unit turns on fine, inputs seem to work and switch fine, just no sound...even tried plugging in headphones! Nuthin! Looks like I got a glorified video switcher. I hope that woot can resolve this fairly quickly; seeing that someone else already had issues, I'm leaning towards refund on this one...sucks I was really excited for this deal.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tpx419j wrote:Sooo I opened mine up last night only to find that it's DOA, no sound output o_0. Unit turns on fine, inputs seem to work and switch fine, just no sound...even tried plugging in headphones! Nuthin! Looks like I got a glorified video switcher. I hope that woot can resolve this fairly quickly; seeing that someone else already had issues, I'm leaning towards refund on this one...sucks I was really excited for this deal.

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tpx419j

ThunderThighs wrote:Ugh. I'm so sorry. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

Exactly how fast is faster service? I can understand it's a busy time of year, but I'd just like to know roughly when I can expect a response? I submitted an email 36hrs ago with the order# and all the info...still have yet to hear anything. Please help. Thanks!

tpx419j

onkyousa wrote:Hello ClarkJeff; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to thank you for your great commentary on our products and your enduring support as well. We are also glad to assist yoyu with your HT-S9100 and its receiver. We thank you and appreciate customers like yourself for choosing Onkyo.

Dear Onkyo,
I received my TX-NR525 unit and it appears defective, powers on but no sound output. Please advise on how to handle my situation best. Should I handle the RMA process through you, or should I go through WOOT?
Thanks.

ThunderThighs

Staff

tpx419j wrote:Dear Onkyo,
I received my TX-NR525 unit and it appears defective, powers on but no sound output. Please advise on how to handle my situation best. Should I handle the RMA process through you, or should I go through WOOT?
Thanks.

You have a one year warranty with Onkyo so you should start with them. If you have problems along the way, email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cupcub

tpx419j wrote:Dear Onkyo,
Thanks.

While I'm sure Thunderthighs means well when he/she tells you to talk to Onkyo, Onkyo refused even acknowledge that there was such a thing as a warranty when I called. They told me to talk to Woot. So I might be inclined to suggest you save yourself the aggravation and just return it to Woot. They have been very helpful in processing the return.

ThunderThighs

Staff

cupcub wrote:While I'm sure Thunderthighs means well when he/she tells you to talk to Onkyo, Onkyo refused even acknowledge that there was such a thing as a warranty when I called. They told me to talk to Woot. So I might be inclined to suggest you save yourself the aggravation and just return it to Woot. They have been very helpful in processing the return.

We are an authorized seller. I will let the buyer know that you are having difficulties.

FORUM MODERATOR

cupcub

ThunderThighs wrote:We are an authorized seller. I will let the buyer know that you are having difficulties.

I already returned the receiver to Woot, but now I am having a new problem. FedEx says they delivered the receiver to Woot on the 3rd, but I have heard nothing from Woot about my money. I have sent 3 different emails and only received the automated reply. Has everyone at Woot taken December off?

ThunderThighs

Staff

cupcub wrote:I already returned the receiver to Woot, but now I am having a new problem. FedEx says they delivered the receiver to Woot on the 3rd, but I have heard nothing from Woot about my money. I have sent 3 different emails and only received the automated reply. Has everyone at Woot taken December off?

Darn, sorry. It can take 7-10 business days for processing the return/refund once we receive the item. If you could be patient just a couple more days.... Thank you.

FORUM MODERATOR

cupcub

ThunderThighs wrote:Darn, sorry. It can take 7-10 business days for processing the return/refund once we receive the item. If you could be patient just a couple more days.... Thank you.

Today was the 10th business day. Still no word, and what's even more troubling, no response to any of the now 4 (FOUR!!) customer service emails I have sent.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cupcub wrote:Today was the 10th business day. Still no word, and what's even more troubling, no response to any of the now 4 (FOUR!!) customer service emails I have sent.

Sorry for the late reply here in the thread.

Please check your email inbox associated with your Woot account, a response has been sent to you by Woot Member Services.

We also recommend that you check the spam folder of your email provider, as sometimes their responses get filtered there.

Thank you for your ongoing patience while they attended to the issue.