Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Good reviews from Home Depot

Check out the product page

fgarriel

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fgarriel

8 hours per night * 0.4kW = 3.2kWh * $0.17/kWh * 30 nights = $16.32 monthly operating cost. Figuring that it'll last 5 years, and it'll run 4 months a year, that's a total cost of ownership of $16.32 * 4 * 5 + $64.99 = $391.39, or $6.52 a month for five years.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

If you can use it at work the total cost of ownership is $64.99 and you don't have to do all that math :-) Providing you don't pay those electricity bills of course.

I see these in the office quite regularly. They replace ceiling tiles or hang on office walls. They seem to provide way more heat than is needed.

wolfedc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wolfedc

These babies are only 400 watts. If you live up north they are sure to leave you cold. Electricity is essentially 100% efficient this thing will only save you money by cutting down on the amount of heat you will have in a given room. Better head to your local retailer and purchase a cheap 1500W heater

nmchapma wrote:If you can use it at work the total cost of ownership is $64.99 and you don't have to do all that math :-) Providing you don't pay those electricity bills of course.

I see these in the office quite regularly. They replace ceiling tiles or hang on office walls. They seem to provide way more heat than is needed.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of comments from when this was offered in October

and

Some pretty good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at wayfair

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
nmchapma wrote:If you can use it at work the total cost of ownership is $64.99 and you don't have to do all that math :-) Providing you don't pay those electricity bills of course.

Replacement for ceiling tiles?!

Where's the Football?? You gotta be kiddin' me!

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
mdnorman wrote:Replacement for ceiling tiles?!

Where's the Football?? You gotta be kiddin' me!

Maybe just some of the tiles.

Dibbler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dibbler

I bought this last time it was offered. I have a 12'x15' room upstairs that had 10 windows and one small floor register in a very old house. This worked great and I haven't had the cold January temps yet but it was 10 the other night and the room stayed toasty warm without blowing a breaker like the 1500 watt floor heater would. These things are great.

They do need to be screwed to the wall though. You can't just lean them up against something.

Hamstur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hamstur

I have two of these. I live in the San Francisco Bay area, so we're not talking about sub-zero temperatures around here, and these are just the thing for warming up a room that just needs a little more heat. Bedrooms, tv areas and offices would be best because the user can sit within say 5 feet of them and feel the warmth.

cschmidt98105

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cschmidt98105

Bought two of these from woot for my Reno home at 5900 ft, and placed them both in very large rooms. They have increased the temp in these rooms enormously, worth every penny.

nmchapma

bsmith1 wrote:Maybe just some of the tiles.

Yes just one single tile.

nmchapma

wolfedc wrote:These babies are only 400 watts. If you live up north they are sure to leave you cold. Electricity is essentially 100% efficient this thing will only save you money by cutting down on the amount of heat you will have in a given room. Better head to your local retailer and purchase a cheap 1500W heater

It's not so much the amount of heat it throws off as much as it is your proximity to the unit and the size of your room. (offices are only 200-300 SF) This thing throws off plenty of heat to supplement the office-wide temp.

guoster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guoster

Just got mine yesterday from the last sale. Installed and used for the first time last night here in Northern AZ (~32F). It was toasty warm in my usually frigid room (10'x15'). This thing is worth every penny, completely silent, and aesthetically pleasing. I will say though that installation was kind of a pain because I didn't keep the Styrofoam cardboard packaging, so I had to line up the holes to the wall with this 25 lb heater in one hand (awkwardly) and marking the wall with the other. So just to help everyone out, KEEP THE PACKAGING, and use the cardboard/styrofoam hole punchouts to mark your wall for where to drill.

bwagner54

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bwagner54

My mother of 74 is always cold. Her living room and dining room and kitchen are free flowing (no doors separating them). She always has a fire going in the fireplace but it simply doesn't keep her front room warm enough when the fire goes down. Do you think 2 of these for these 3 adjoining rooms might do the trick for her?

raggityman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raggityman

Instead of painting this I'm going to throw it on my work flatbed and print a nice mural on this puppy

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
nmchapma wrote:Yes just one single tile.

Heat rises. What would be the point of having a warm ceiling tile?

juicius

quality posts: 39 Private Messages juicius

I have these. I put one under my desk and it keeps the area toasty. I like the fact that it's silent, but there probably are better heating options out there.

furryfloid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages furryfloid

I have a similar one... sitting in a box in a closet because mine turned out to be slightly too big for the wall space I had available.

Some stuff I discovered while reading about people's experiences:

* Don't screw it down _super-tightly_ to the wall. If your house settles or the wall expands/contracts from, say, having a heater next to it, occasionally this can crack the ceramic. The ideal mounting would give it some 'wiggle room' although I'm not sure how much the included hardware permits.

* Inside, these panel units are basically just nichrome heater wire like in a toaster (assuming this one is like all similar products) - so if it cracks the wire does become exposed and probably would be sort of hazardish. Use common sense where you put it, I guess.

Electric heat is 'efficient' in the sense that the watts consumed equal the watts put into the room no matter what kind of electric heater it is - it actually becomes a bit of a headache to do the math per actual unit of thermal energy. Searching for "kWh Converter" should help with that.

400 watts is going to be the heat given off by about 7 60w light bulbs... so putting that many light bulbs near people level will heat the room the same amount (with a tiny fraction of that energy converted to light instead of heat) and cost the same in electricity use.

mnkiehn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnkiehn

We have a similar wall heater and wanted to get another. Ordered two and BOTH of them arrived cracked. They didn't pack them for shipping. Now we have to go through the hassle of returning them.

aishel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aishel

I bought one of these about a year ago from a friend who had an extra one. I use it in a corner bedroom that is about 12x12 and has 2 windows. The trick is to put it just a few inches above the floor on an interior wall. This unit worked so well that I had to buy an additional thermal timer so that it would shut off when the room reached a certain temperature. Since the ceramic stays quite hot for a while even after it is off, it really saves a lot of energy. Would highly recommend!

dc127ar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dc127ar

I bought one of these for my kid's room recently. Worked well for the first day, then it went spastic, and overheated to the point that it cracked and deformed the paint on the wall behind it. I'm just throwing this out there, since the idea with a low wattage heater is to leave it "running all of the time" hooked up to a thermostat purchased separately that goes between the unit and the outlet. Since that's generally a lot longer than one would use a 1500watt unit, just make sure you check on the thing periodically! And yes it is the exact model being offered here (for the skeptics).

judgejoebrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judgejoebrown

Hot diggity! I finally got a second one! They were on a day or so ago and sold out before I could grab one. Got lucky this time though. I have one mounted in my 500sqft master bedroom. Only used it twice so far but give it an hour or two and it does a decent job. The new one will go in the 600sqft living room. I'm hoping to not have to use the main heat this winter.

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind......

nofaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nofaz

Two items in one day? Sort of a woot off but not really? Where's the monkey?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

nofaz wrote:Two items in one day? Sort of a woot off but not really? Where's the monkey?

Here?

ls3mach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ls3mach
ROGETRAY wrote:Here?

Am I super drunk? I thought the woot item was something else altogether?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ls3mach wrote:Am I super drunk? I thought the woot item was something else altogether?

No you're not drunk...well..maybe?

The item earlier today that sold out was this: Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Econo-Heat Wall Heater
Price: $59.99
Condition: New

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

bobichka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka

Heater just got delivered and there's a hairline crack running its entire length (cracked through to the other side, it's not a cosmetic thing others had mentioned in previous woots). Sent an email but I'm wondering if others got defective/damaged units too?