WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: If you confronted a bear in the woods, what would you do?
  • 6.5% - Play dead 144
  • 21% - Slowly back away 463
  • 4.3% - Run away! 94
  • 19.5% - Whimper and sh*% myself 431
  • 15.1% - Make a bunch of noise to scare it off 333
  • 33.6% - Depends on the bear 741
2206 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

myrddinemrys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages myrddinemrys

National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

The one time I did run into a bear, it was a baby black bear, and it didn't notice me. I stood still for about 20 minutes before I decided to calmly continue hiking back down the mountain. I was scared out of my face though, I didn't see mama bear anywhere.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

My friend and I were hiking in bear country. We spotted a big one, headed our way. We made lots of noise - no affect. We made ourselves look "bigger" - it kept coming at us.
Finally, I threw off my backpack and ran away from it.
Luckily, I was faster than my friend.
I'll miss him.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

nmctwx

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nmctwx

I once asked a NPS ranger this question and he gave the 'make noise' reply. I asked him what to do if that doesn't work? Play Dead? We don't have grizzly bears here, but he replied, "If it's black, fight back, if it's brown, lay down."

Whatever the situation, I'm sure the poop part with be part of the outcome.

xenon9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xenon9

It depends if I have my rifle or just the pistol (bear tags are optional,if "its coming right for us!!!").

unholierthanthou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unholierthanthou

Are these Charmin bears? If not, I'd hand them a fluffy white rabbit. If so, I'd ask for their autographs.

therez0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therez0

If it has a collar and a green tie, I will consider negotiating a pick-a-nick basket.

DivineAna

quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna
nmctwx wrote:"If it's black, fight back, if it's brown, lay down."

Basically, black bears are less aggressive and dangerous, and typically will leave you alone if you make loud noises (source: in camping with my parents as a kid, we encountered bears a handful of times. With a few odd exceptions, the black bears would run off if you yell at them, but it's till a tense situation.)

Grizzlies, which are always brown, are aggressive, dangerous, and fast. I'm not convinced that playing dead is better than running, but you're not going to scare them off.

The problem with your mnemonic is that "black" bears often look brown. The real difference is in anatomy-- grizzlies have much bigger heads, and thicker necks and shoulders, and when they're on all fours, their heads hang lower than their shoulders. Black bears don't have such obvious shoulder, and narrower, smaller heads.

Qiset

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qiset

I'm always armed so probably I would stay calm and slowly back away but prepare to shoot if it came at me.

sman40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sman40

Couldn't help but laugh at that. Lol

myrddinemrys wrote:National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

wlroes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wlroes

It is easy to confuse a brown bear and a grizzly. the way to tell the difference is, if confronted by a bear, climb a tree. If it is a brown bear, it will climb the tree and kill you. If it is a grizzly it will push the tree over and kill you.

Geniekid

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Geniekid

Shoot it in the face.

McGuffy

quality posts: 7 Private Messages McGuffy

Every time I respond to one of these completely useless, meaningless polls, I hate myself a little bit more.

"There are 2 types of people in the world: Those can extrapolate from incomplete data."

robgnts5611

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robgnts5611

Hope that the picnic basket or the emergency honey supply does the trick......
I'm not sure that "playing dead' is a reality in this situation......thinking more like sh%&ing one's self is more likely.

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud
manhandsha wrote:The one time I did run into a bear, it was a baby black bear, and it didn't notice me. I stood still for about 20 minutes before I decided to calmly continue hiking back down the mountain. I was scared out of my face though, I didn't see mama bear anywhere.

I can pretty much guarantee she saw you.

I am in the depends on which type of bear category. Most any of them I would slowly back away, but in some of them I might also sway into the SH!# myself and whimper category. As a kid when camping my only experiences with bears (oddly enough at Big Bear Mountian) was coming back from hiking and seeing it searching for food at camp, waking up to a bear searching for food in camp (in both instances our coolers were always up in a tree and trash was in camp appointed bins), or from a bit of a distance while out hiking.

My dad had a friend that was a Park Ranger in the Northwest US and Alaska and when they would get a report of a bear attack his job was to go out, find the bear, and put it down. He said he would pack up and take his canoe out and when he would come upon a bear he woudl ask it if it was the one that attacked and if it didn't say yes or have an arm hanging out of it's mouth, he would move on. He told us that there was only ever one bear in that situation that he had to put down and it was the one with an arm hanging out of its mouth walking along the river. Otherwise it was only when they responded to an attack in progress that they had to put them down.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

jdiggidy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jdiggidy

Running from a Grizzly bear will only get you dead. Period. A grizzly bear can run faster over forested, uneven land than Usane Bolt ran the 100m. Think about that.

The best offense when dealing with these awe inspiring creatures is to make sure they know you're there WELL before you know they're there. The best way is to not appear as 1) food or 2) a threat. No sudden movements, no looking him (or worse: her!) in the eyes, talking calmly to him, and slowly backing away.

I saw a lone grizzly from across a ridge two summers ago in the Beartooth Mountains... I was at least a mile away, and I still had goosebumps for a week!!

DYK??: A grizzly's sense of smell is 7 times more potent than a bloodhound's!

Don't Panic.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
Geniekid wrote:Shoot it in the face.

No. Their skull is too think.

I'd try to back off, facing the bear.

If that doesn't work, heart/lung shots in the body, repeat as necessary.

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor
manhandsha wrote:The one time I did run into a bear, it was a baby black bear, and it didn't notice me. I stood still for about 20 minutes before I decided to calmly continue hiking back down the mountain. I was scared out of my face though, I didn't see mama bear anywhere.

She was behind you the whole time.

dylank22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dylank22

I would say it is d) all of the above but funny nonetheless so no complaints from me.

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut

My wife was a victim of a moose attack. Sounds kinda funny 'til it happens to you - broken pelvis, broken shoulder and had to drag herself almost half mile back to civilization.

Rangers said long-range pepper spray (shoots about 30ft, like wasp spray) is very effective against anything without a respirator.

Buy it and use it.

longrider1952

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longrider1952
daveinwarshington wrote:No. Their skull is too think.

I'd try to back off, facing the bear.

If that doesn't work, heart/lung shots in the body, repeat as necessary.

Since a bear charges on all four feet, that is almost impossible. The only shot is between the shouder blades to break the back. A bear's skull slopes and a bullet will often ricochet off making it a very mad bear with a headache.

ophmarketing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ophmarketing

Why was there was no option to choose "Probably be killed by the bear"?

jenschiefs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenschiefs

When I lived in Alaska, we never went into the woods without bear spray or a 12 gauge shotgun. The shotgun was jokingly to shoot your buddy, even if loaded with slugs.

Seriously though, play dead has worked for several people (google search), although they usually get chewed on a bit before they lose interest.

If you must shoot a bear, don't aim for the head unless you're shooting under the jaw--you won't puncture that thick skull. Heart is problematic, also, because they're pretty tough buggers.

My money is on bear spray--it makes you more of a nuisance than something tasty and interesting.

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1

jpa1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpa1

In Alaska, we could always tell when it was tourist season by the cans of pepper spray on the trails, and the little bells in the bear scat.

reverseemf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reverseemf

You left off, "Get yourself inducted into the bear clan" That works for around 10 years.

reverseemf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reverseemf

@bsmith1: Well done!

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

Drop the pick-a-nick basket and back a way Boo Boo. And report it as a theft to Mr. Ranger Sir.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

If you go out in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise.

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the Grizzly bears have their picnic.

rdbetscher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdbetscher

Drag out my .50 caliber pistol and turn him into bear steaks, bear chops, ground bear and bear ribs. I like bear meat.

ultrawriter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ultrawriter

As an even-older-than-me ultramarathoner once told me there are two options:
a)look around for just one person you can run faster than.
b)do as he did when encountering bears on the trail: just stop and wait, and know that the bear may decide when I die, but I decide where.

koshhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koshhi
McGuffy wrote:Every time I respond to one of these completely useless, meaningless polls, I hate myself a little bit more.

Spoilsport.

brunge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brunge
Qiset wrote:I'm always armed so probably I would stay calm and slowly back away but prepare to shoot if it came at me.

Same here. I will give the bear every chance, but once it becomes me or the bear, i'm pulling the trigger until i'm safe or dead.

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1
Qiset wrote:I'm always armed ...

Even in the shower? What if you're taking a shower in the woods when the bear charges you?

ghawki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghawki

I would ask him if he giblet in the woods.

teal32288

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teal32288

Fire a warning shot

johnsalterego

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnsalterego

reality bites for most of those that say they're going to shoot the bear - 'confronted' to me means you're already on top of one another, and since you'll most likely be someplace that will not allow open carry of weapons its not likely you'll have time to dig in your backpack for that hand-cannon. It's iffy if you'll have time to go for the pepper spray either. The advise on the type of bear is valid - if it's a black bear, be aggressive and fight (at least at first), if it's a brown, play dead (you're not winning a fight or urinating match there...). If you're lucky they're just protecting their territory and aren't really interested in you as a meal!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
teal32288 wrote:Fire a warning shot

No warning shots unless I have lots of ammunition on-hand.

Maybe trying to yell anti-bear comments or mentioning to the bear how stunning his coat is.

jeremyralph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremyralph

This happened to me while fishing in Kodiak, Alaska. As I was enjoying casting my reel in the river, I heard the bushes move behind me. When I looked back, there was a huge bear 15 feet from me poking its head out from behind a bush. I think in was just as scared of me as I was of it. After I dropped a brick from being so scared, I slowly backed away as it slowly disappeared back into the bushes.