Search Amazon Search Google

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Butterball Turkey Fryer
Price: $64.99
Condition: New

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

hhorders

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hhorders

14 pounds is a tiny turkey. Be careful.

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun

I've heard horror stories about frozen turkeys and outside frying situations.

Does this pose a significant fire risk, or is it a bit safer since it seems to be all contained/no flames?

*EDIT: 24 and I've never tried fried turkey. You have no idea how much I have wanted to try it.

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

I'm wondering if you could use this to brew beer. How many gallons is it?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3331 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Remember, safety first!

Very good reviews (4.5+ out of 5.0) over at masterbuilt.com and TONS of great reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at qvc.com

sparrowhawk69

quality posts: 65 Private Messages sparrowhawk69

I wonder how many corn dogs or chicken breast tenders it would hold???

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

theco2

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theco2

And I wonder how many people are going to use expedited shipping, in attempt to have this in time for Thanksgiving.

icthulhu

dacrete

quality posts: 105 Private Messages dacrete

Seems a little spendy for cooking turkeys. Unless you love them an awful lot.

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

Mandatory Turkey Safety Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2dwPTnsyA

Sorry if the song is now stuck in your head.

icthulhu

conanthelibrarian wrote:Remember, safety first!

Very good reviews (4.5+ out of 5.0) over at masterbuilt.com and TONS of great reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at qvc.com

That one's the 20-lb size. The woot one is the 14-lb size.

satimney

quality posts: 3 Private Messages satimney
theco2 wrote:And I wonder how many people are going to use expedited shipping, in attempt to have this in time for Thanksgiving.

I was just thinking the same thing. You have to be pretty damn desperate for a turkey fryer to take the chance of this being delivered on time.

Good luck, suckers!

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
hhorders wrote:14 pounds is a tiny turkey. Be careful.

They're small this year, 13 to 16 lbs. but we normally make a 22 lb. bird. We also don't fry the bird so we're not in for 1. The home shopping shows are selling these for a lot more money.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

kevo66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kevo66

In for one. 1 hour to cook a 14 pound bird. Plus, you do super bowl parties, you're dropping the basket one time for 50 wings. Priceless.

Kevo

gishdream

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gishdream

Ive read some reports in the past that the electric fryers have problems restoring temperature after dropping the turkey. I hope they fixed this problem.

sdkammer

quality posts: 29 Private Messages sdkammer

We've had this for a couple years now (probably a previous model by now). It works perfectly.

Someone asked above about frozen turkeys...that's a definite NO! Now...you won't burn your house down with this like you would with an open flame, but you'd have scolding hot oil all over you and anything else in the vicinity.

Fried turkeys rock...they really are delicious. It's pricey to do them (with the cost of peanut oil) but, man...look forward to it every year!

barndon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barndon

What are the chances of this making it to my door before Thanksgiving if I select 1 day shipping?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

barndon wrote:What are the chances of this making it to my door before Thanksgiving if I select 1 day shipping?

The same chances you would have if you selected Two-Day Shipping..except greater?

icthulhu

icthulhu wrote:I'm wondering if you could use this to brew beer. How many gallons is it?

I sent masterbuilt an email -- if this thing is big enough and the temp is low enough, I could seriously see this as an awesome way to steep the wort.

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen
icthulhu wrote:I sent masterbuilt an email -- if this thing is big enough and the temp is low enough, I could seriously see this as an awesome way to steep the wort.

I was at a mead-making workshop last Saturday and the couple running it totally recommended an electric turkey fryer for brewing, and brought one to show us how it works. The best parts are the constant temperature and the valve for easy transfer to the fermentation vessel.

So, oddly, I'm in the market for something like this, as of five days ago. But I don't know if I'm ready yet....

Dorsai!

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dorsai!
icthulhu wrote:This seems kinda like http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23011014-Butterball-Electric-Capacity/dp/B00BWKN0H2 -- only $33 cheaper.

I couldn't help but notice that the amazon fryer is listed under patio, lawn and garden items, which to me strongly suggests it is instended to be used outside and not inside the house.

Consider all the stories of things gone wrong with frying turkeys, that would seem a safe suggestion.

fireballtp

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fireballtp

So tonight was grocery night. Fareway finally had a deal on strip steaks, my wife's favorite.

Like many stores do at this time of year, they gave me a free 12 lbs turkey. This seems like a small bird, but it will be perfect for our needs.

There are 2 ways I am considering preparing the bird, neither of which I have tried. First, deep fry.... the other option is normal roasting with some duck fat. SOOOO. wine woot has duck fat and truffle butter.. And here we have a turkey fryer...

hmmmmmmm

Laser123454321

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Laser123454321

So, ive owned one of these for about a year and have some notes to share:

This is the 2012 model, it fits up to a 14 pound bird but reliably you only want to cook upto a 12 pounder. And what if I told you you could cook 2 turkeys if you are concerned about not having enough.

The fryer works great for its intended purpose. They mention you can use it for boils and steaming, but only the boiling works really.

The new 2013 model ships with a single piece lid without a lid filter as well as a wire mesh basket instead of the solid metal one, but is otherwise exactly the same as the one here.

Remember that even with proper filtering the oil will only last 6months or 3 turkeys, which ever happens first. Oh, and DONT POUR HOT OIL BACK INTO ITS PLASTIC CONTAINER.

BTW, right now if you have cable or satelite, you can spend the whole day channel hopping watching the infomercial. I noticed today you could go a solid 5 hours watching it.

I think Its a good deal and it produces really tasty turkey.

Ouze

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ouze

I got one of these sometime last year on Amazon, and this is a steal at $65. I have found about 13 pounds is the most you can fit in there, and it will be done in just about an hour. You can re-use the oil for 4 or maybe 5 turkeys. I also found that injecting the turkey doesn't really make a big difference with this technique but brining overnight beforehand totally does. Just make 110% sure the turkey is totally defrosted with not even a speck of ice inside before putting it in the oil.

No, this is not made to be used outside.

So far as safety goes, it's not any more dangerous than any other deep fryer, which is all this really is - a large deep fryer with a turkey shaped basket and dangle hook for dropping and removing the bird.

AlphaWolf102582

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AlphaWolf102582

Disclaimer: Woot inc. is not responsible for damages due to burning down the trailer park you reside in,

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr

What if you use it with a Norbest Turkey?

alexei27

quality posts: 9 Private Messages alexei27

If you do intend to use this for Thanksgiving....ALDI's is selling this same model for $90

I've used the larger version of this...it works great. The heat is way more consistent than the big ole propane burner.

And...it deep fries twinkies!

...tryin to reason with hurricane season...

cappo

quality posts: 33 Private Messages cappo

Why must you tempt me so, Woot?

I think I'm going to stick with the ol' Alton Brown vegetable broth brine and ripping hot oven method.

giolee88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages giolee88

I'm a long-time brine 'n roaster...quite good at it. But We've been frying turkeys for years now. Picked this one up from Woot last year. It worked great! Nice size for my family, however as others noted, you're talking about a 12-13lb bird, which some consider small. There's so much other stuff on the table, and 12lb is plenty for my extended family of 9 with leftovers to spare. Comparing this to my large-size propane roaster, it works well, stows much smaller, and is pretty convenient to whip out for donuts and fish fries, etc. The generous dunking strainer is really nice to work with for those meals. The only real modification to my approach was having the bird out at room temp a little longer during the day-of prep, but really I'm not sure how much effect that had. I'd do it again for sure. If you haven't tried cajun injection, it pairs well with fried turkey. Don't expect very fancy construction. Even on the stainless model, the build is minimal where it can be, and rugged where it needs to be. Just right, IMO, for something you whip out just a handful of times a year.

willyone

quality posts: 26 Private Messages willyone

I don't have the counter space or the cupboard space. I'd have to cook on the deck and store in the basement.

phantom5815

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phantom5815

Ad sounds good - But too many bad reviews/complaints to consider purchasing one. Just don't want to deal with the hassle if I get a bad unit.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I'm buying a small turkey and going to try my Ronco ShowTime..the original big one.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jaxfl99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaxfl99

Anyone know if I would be able to fry other foods, like egg rolls and pickles in this fryer?

nmill005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005

I have the larger version of this fryer (mine can fry up to a 20lb bird). While we do use it a couple of times a year for turkeys, we use it much more often for low country boils and seafood. Simply fill it with water as opposed to oil and steam shellfish, potatoes, corn, etc.

Clean up is a breeze with mine. Everything except for the control panel (slides off) can go right in the dishwasher. The drain valve works great for bottling your oil back up for later uses. Looks like this smaller version works in the same manner.

Highly recommend.

pmcm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmcm
MichXelle wrote:They're small this year, 13 to 16 lbs. but we normally make a 22 lb. bird. We also don't fry the bird so we're not in for 1. The home shopping shows are selling these for a lot more money.

They're small this year? Turkeys are domestically 'grown', fed in flocks. We're not talking wild turkeys here.

snaped

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snaped
icthulhu wrote:I sent masterbuilt an email -- if this thing is big enough and the temp is low enough, I could seriously see this as an awesome way to steep the wort.

From Woot Facebook,It's 2 gallons:
"----i bought 3 of them last season for xmas gifts. takes just shy of 2 gallons of oil. as expected takes a while to heat up but fries beautifully. easy to clean using a hide away spigot. the basket is nice and stirdy, can hang it on the edge when you lift it up. i like to do 7-9lb turkey breasts or two roasting hens in this. have done party wings for a crowd, about 4lbs at a time"

snaped

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snaped
icthulhu wrote:I'm wondering if you could use this to brew beer. How many gallons is it?

If your kettles are induction ready I would go with this if you want to brew 5 gallon batches indoors.
(plug to W00T over lords)
http://www.amazon.com/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8100MC/dp/B0045QEPYM

nickspeck

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nickspeck

I have one of these and have used it for about 2 years. I find that it works very well in all situations. I have used it to fry pretty much everything under the sun. Fried twinkies? Check. Fried Snickers? Check. Fried pickles? HELL YES! Oh, and it works pretty good for those turkey things, too.

Okay, keeping it real, I've really had very good luck with this thing. Biggest problem I find with it is the breakaway power cord. It connects via magnets and they just aren't very powerful. Aside from that, it takes a reasonable amount of time to heat up (indicates when the oil is at the desired temperature) and cooks very evenly. I find that I use it most to cook up hot wings for my family as well as for fries, but it really is a very diverse product. Don't think you can just use it for turkeys.

A few notes I have: a.) if you use it inside, it stinks. Don't say I didn't warn you. b.) if you use it inside, it stinks. Seriously, you were warned. c.) take the spigot out of the hidden panel on the back before you start frying. If you don't, it will burn your little fingers. d.) make sure that if you are reusing your oil that you use cheesecloth to strain out the crud (yeah, that's the technical term for it) that falls to the bottom.

That's all I've got to add. I wholeheartedly endorse this product, and this is a great price.