daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Are you talking the afterlife of people,
or the afterlife of internet shopping sites?

gotk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gotk
paulpnevada wrote:I believe that whatever the truth is, that it exists totally independent of our beliefs. What we believe is totally irrelevant to what the truth actually is.

So we should all stop fighting about who's invisible friend is real.

I almost completely agree with your first paragraph, but almost completely disagree with your conclusion. Yes, the truth is whatever the truth is, and you or I may be completely wrong about what the truth is --- but while I don't think we should *fight* about it, I do think we should strive to determine what is actually true to the best of our ability. Discussing, learning, and discovering truth -- and striving to believe what is actually true is not irrelevant. It is important! What you believe about the truth may have eternal consequences.

God Bless you - and may you find the real truth.

gotk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gotk
McGuffy wrote:Want to know what being dead is like? It's exactly like before you were born. Exactly.

That's actually not true. In several ways. First, birth is not all that significant of an event in terms of existence. Before birth, you not only existed, but could feel and think to some degree. Unless you meant before we were conceived. But aside from that, before we were conceived, no one knew about us. There was no memory of you, or pictures of you. You didn't have a body (dead or alive) - you just didn't yet exist.
All of that is before even discussing the current topic of the afterlife. If there is an afterlife, and I believe there is, death is even more drastically different from conception. Although, ironically, it may be metaphorically similar to birth.

detrna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages detrna

I with ya!!!!
No brainer, huh?

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus
tswinkler wrote:But if youre wrong, bad news for you.

But if he's right then you just wasted your whole life, by your logic. Besides, does Jebus talk to you? If not you may be in the wrong religion and Allla-la-la may be tweaked by your talking for him.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

s0medude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s0medude

Perhaps when you die naturally, your brain releases enough chemicals to make you trip out for a while, easing your transition from consciousness.

Heaven & Hell are not somewhere that we go to after our life on Earth is over. Heaven & Hell is life on Earth.

Your decisions don't effect how the invisible man is going to treat you after your time here is done.
They effect how *I* am going to treat you right now.

nojink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nojink

The scales show people weigh slightly less after they die but animals don't. Also know that atoms are well over 99.9% empty space & Einstein says that if stuff is moving fast enough it can go through other stuff like it's not even there.

When it comes to stuff like this the MSM (mainstream media [including Discovery, History, etc.]) try their best to keep us in the dark. Arrests have been made.

josh69530

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josh69530

9 million children under the age of 5, die every year from famine, war, or natural catastrophes. Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary.

The only sense to make of tragedies like this is that terrible things can happen to perfectly innocent people. This understanding inspires compassion.

Religious faith, on the other hand, erodes compassion. Thoughts like, “this might be all part of God’s plan,” or “there are no accidents in life,” or “everyone on some level gets what he or she deserves” - these ideas are not only stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than a childish refusal to connect with the suffering of other human beings. It is time to grow up and let our hearts break at moments like this.

a2gretta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a2gretta

THE afterlife or some sort of afterlife? I don't believe my elements will disappear, but I also don't believe in the Christian afterlife.

Gladeye

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Gladeye
bpfordte wrote:Heaven or hell - pretty simple.

And that's the appeal of it.

Gladeye

nojink wrote:The scales show people weigh slightly less after they die but animals don't. Also know that atoms are well over 99.9% empty space & Einstein says that if stuff is moving fast enough it can go through other stuff like it's not even there.

When it comes to stuff like this the MSM (mainstream media [including Discovery, History, etc.]) try their best to keep us in the dark. Arrests have been made.

Mainstream media don't try to keep us in the dark. On the contrary, they offend educated people with shows like Ghost Hunters, Ancient UFOs, and other paranormal nonsense that legitimize superstition and treat them as somehow factual. The stuff about sudden weight loss at death was claimed over a hundred years ago and since disproven with the advent with more sophisticated and accurate scales. And good luck moving your 99.9% space through the equally spacious brick wall in front of you.

Gladeye

There was life before you were born, so it stands to reason there will be life after you die. It will just be experienced through a different ego, a different sense of self. We are all expressions of the universe and all God, though we work really, really hard at hiding this from ourselves. Maybe that's part of why we need to compensate so much with stuff and distractions.

ccmyersiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccmyersiii
mexz wrote:Something else. I believe in reincarnation.

Read "Journey of Souls" by Michael Newton. He's a hypnotherapist whose patients talk extensively of their experiences between lives. The "afterlife" is real, it is your home (not here on Earth any more than your car is your home) until you gain the awareness to go higher and have endless other experiences. It is a vast existence as Soul and reincarnating is just one phase.

ccmyersiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccmyersiii
josh69530 wrote:9 million children under the age of 5, die every year from famine, war, or natural catastrophes. Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary.

The only sense to make of tragedies like this is that terrible things can happen to perfectly innocent people. This understanding inspires compassion.

Religious faith, on the other hand, erodes compassion. Thoughts like, “this might be all part of God’s plan,” or “there are no accidents in life,” or “everyone on some level gets what he or she deserves” - these ideas are not only stupid, they are extraordinarily callous. They are nothing more than a childish refusal to connect with the suffering of other human beings. It is time to grow up and let our hearts break at moments like this.

God relates to consciousness, not embodiments.

DoDred

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DoDred

When you die - you are dead, according to the Bible. Read Ps. 146:3,4. If you don't accept the Bible then who cares? Also read Eccl. 9:5 There is a second death you want no part in when you read Rev. 2:11 'Nuff preaching for WOOT

DoDred

ccmyersiii wrote:God relates to consciousness, not embodiments.

We are freewill beings. God lets us be stupid if we close not to follow Him.

DoDred

CyborgBill wrote:I personally believe (and, OK, devoutly hope) that when the physical processes of my body fail beyond a certain level of organization my consciousness along with all the various software-type processes normally occurring in my brain will cease -IRREVOCABLY AND PERMANENTLY!! We are temporal beings and I believe that no deity could be called "benevolent" which would curse its creatures with such a monstrous burden as eternal life. I do not fear such an eventuality. Instead, I would welcome it.

I am looking forward to eternal life where all is joy and happiness, no sin or sorrow. Read my other posts.

DoDred

chris0115 wrote:Only enough said if you know as much about the universe as a wet rock.

There are innumerable things about the watch analogy that are just stupid. The main one is that: There ARE collisions, disturbances, and confusion. They happen all the freakin' time. Solar systems smash into each other and are destroyed. Stars smash into each other and either burn out or form bigger stars. Even if they don't hit anything during their lifecycle, they eventually blow up of their own accord, instigating the fiery death of anything living in their system.

For the invisible sky-arbiter's sake, our entire GALAXY is on a collision course with another, bigger galaxy. Yes, the Milky Way and everything you see in the night sky will eventually smash into the Andromeda galaxy and become a binary-supermassive-blackhole galaxy. Everything living in either galaxy will be vaporized into space dust when the galaxies collide.

If you want to believe in invisible sky-deities, fine, but come up with a better analogy. The universe is NOTHING like a watch. It is a place of chaos and explosions and entropy. It's very birth was the epitome of chaos.

/Rant off

And someone has seen this how many times? Math and speculation are fine but that means it is just a good guess.

chevy237

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chevy237

I think there is a heaven and hell, several sorts of hells, actually, and reincarnation. None of them permanent.

koshhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koshhi
josh69530 wrote:9 million children under the age of 5, die every year from famine, war, or natural catastrophes. Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary.

Children are resilient, or have you forgotten? Don't cry.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
tswinkler wrote:God is real. Jesus saved me from hell. This life is temporary.

Cool! Did you get his autograph or a picture taken with him?

nojink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nojink
Gladeye wrote:Mainstream media don't try to keep us in the dark. On the contrary, they offend educated people with shows like Ghost Hunters, Ancient UFOs, and other paranormal nonsense that legitimize superstition and treat them as somehow factual. The stuff about sudden weight loss at death was claimed over a hundred years ago and since disproven with the advent with more sophisticated and accurate scales. And good luck moving your 99.9% space through the equally spacious brick wall in front of you.

How do you know Einstein is wrong about matter passing through matter? Are you better at atomic physics then him? An episode called Known Universe: The Biggest & Smallest seemed to prove him right.
The M.S.M. IS silent on a lot of supernatural type stuff, you'll see after you browse through sites like youtube.com/wildrosestands or even the naturalnews archive.
Before labeling what they do show as "paranormal nonsense," you should find out for yourself. If they say places are haunted, spend some nights there to see if it's true or false.

Only a dumb person criticizes something & never bothers to find out firsthand.

awfulhorrid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awfulhorrid
tswinkler wrote:the evidence is there if you look. So If heaven and hell exists, where do you think you'll go?
I'm certain of mine.

No where. When we die, we're dead. That's all there is to it. It's not a very comforting thought to many people, but insisting that there must be something more will not make it so.

Additional: Every description of heaven I've ever heard sounds far more like a hell to me. I'm quite unclear as to why I would want to go there.

Woof!

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
josh69530 wrote:9 million children under the age of 5, die every year from famine, war, or natural catastrophes.

koshhi wrote:Children are resilient, or have you forgotten? Don't cry.

Are you saying the children will recover from famine, disease or death? Really?

seraphis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seraphis
paulpnevada wrote:I believe that whatever the truth is, that it exists totally independent of our beliefs. What we believe is totally irrelevant to what the truth actually is.

I like you.

jtwigg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtwigg
tswinkler wrote:the evidence is there if you look. So If heaven and hell exists, where do you think you'll go?
I'm certain of mine.

There is exactly as much evidence of Hogwarts, The Fortress of Solitude, and the Batcave, as their is for Heaven and Hell.

cbuttre835

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cbuttre835
hosesplus wrote:But if he's right then you just wasted your whole life, by your logic.

Yes, being kind to others, voluntarily donating money to the homeless and needy, staying out of general civil / legal trouble... such a waste.

Don't roll me in with the "gays are gonna burn" and the westboro baptist crowd, please. True religion is helping those in need and keeping yourself unspotted from the world.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
cbuttre835 wrote:Yes, being kind to others, voluntarily donating money to the homeless and needy, staying out of general civil / legal trouble... such a waste.

Don't roll me in with the "gays are gonna burn" and the westboro baptist crowd, please. True religion is helping those in need and keeping yourself unspotted from the world.

Actually people without religion do volunteer and donate to help others. Religion doesn't have a monopoly on caring for the unfortunate.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

I'm perfectly content to cross that bridge when we come to it, as we all will.

Meanwhile, I'm very busy doing everything I can for the people who come after me, not worrying about what's going to happen to myself after an arbitrary point at which evidence ceases.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

gfreek12000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gfreek12000

I want to come back as a Turtle..

gsuslikesme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsuslikesme

Jesus.

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus

Primary Comment: {with as little included "personal belief" as possible}
That first paragraph is 100% correct, and I believe nearly everyone here would agree with it. And {while I may, or may not, agree with all the opinion(s) of this Wooter}, adherence to the 2nd paragraph would have solved many problems in recorded history (and still would today).

Furthermore, the problem (or lack thereof) with having (or not having) a belief in an afterlife will be neither clearly evident nor irrefutably provable (to everyone's complete satisfaction) until well after it is far too late for someone to do anything about it. Therefore, arguing about it here is quite pointless.

Secondary Comment: {FWIW; also full of "personal belief" so please stop reading now if you really don't care, or if you are feeling overly argumentative... as I plan to state my positions & leave them as they are}

After much study of the facts of science as discovered {so far} by humans, I personally find no other logical explanation for the existence of the earth, our galaxy, & the entire universe, except for the description of creation as found written in the Bible {yes, in Genesis}. There are just far too many holes in the different theories of evolution for me to believe in any of them.

Granted, a complete explanation/discussion of my beliefs is much too long {& entirely too "deep" (i.e. "boring")} to adequately present here, but a few quick examples of what I've based my beliefs upon are:
1. not all planets rotate the same direction {so... glaring problem with (i.e. refutation of) theories of concurrently coalescing spinning clouds of matter},
2. the moon is leaving the earth's gravity much too quickly {therefore, it's too close to the earth for the extreme lengths of time required for evolution to have occurred},
3. the specific densities of the planets are random {either uniform, ascending, or descending densities would lend some credence to different "spinning clouds" theories},
4. the life cycle of the sun {shouldn't be quite so "young"},
5. the infinitesimally ridiculous probability of even one amino acid group or DNA chain forming correctly in one single species {let alone so many widely divegent species} without a Master Designer,
6. fossil records {the vertical petrified forests, the water-formed fossil records found high on Mt. Everest, & many others promote a worldwide, Biblically-explained, catastrophic flood},
7. even the asteroid belt presents problems for cohesive theories of evolution...
And that's just a few things that don't add up; the lists of "problems posed by theories of evolution" {& their impossible solutions to those problems} go on.

Taken altogether, there is not {in my opinion} any "purely logical" explanation {other than the Bible's description} that "works", even though a "Biblical description" requires blind faith in an Omnipotent Being... & at first glance sounds so entirely unlikely {see "Occam's Razor"}.

That being said, there are, of course, huge discrepancies in what people believe and teach about Genesis
{as well as the rest of "The Bible"}, plus myriad "versions" of the Bible {of which most seem to be skewed toward some specific point(s) of doctrine held by the translator(s)} to further muddy the waters... but those are completely different discussions... and are also entirely too long {& "deep"} ;) to adequately explain &/or discuss in a comment box of a poll on my favorite shopping website.

If someone wanted to expound upon the Bible, {again: in my opinion} they should:
1. read it thru...
2. repeat "#1" several times {at least once/year}...
3. try to live it...
4. every day (not just on Sundays)... and
5. be willing to be judged by it (before attempting to judge others by it... especially others that do not believe in it as they do).

And as for teaching it... teaching should be confined to those willing to attempt the first five conditions... then their teaching should be comprised solely of what the Bible says... in black & white... not some convoluted, transcendent, abstract translation of what was written. "Simple" is usually "best" when teaching.
And yes, if you happen to be wondering, I do happen to be a teacher & have a degree in that profession. Have taught students in elementary, middle school, junior high, high school, and college. Personally, I've never been impressed by anyone's degrees, only by the level of discipline necessary to earn a degree.

For some strange reason, I've also been asked to teach what I've learned of the Bible to others {since the 80s}. Being concerned that I don't inject "personal opinion" as "truth," I attempt to stick to this 3-part formula when teaching the Bible to others:
Nothing more {some religions teach one's works, donations, or traditions are oh-so-necessary to attaining salvation}.
Nothing less {the Westboro crowd (& others), teach mostly a few verses (taken completely out of context) which promote their leaders' selfish, racist, & power- fame- or money-grubbing agenda(s)}.
And nothing else {one's political-, economic-, and social-positions should be positively influenced daily by one's beliefs, but those discussions should be saved for other times... when one is not in God's house {or anywhere else} teaching of "things of God" that were written in the Bible}.

In closing, I would be disappointed if anyone thought I've merely attempted to "cram my beliefs" down their throat. I'd prefer that I might spark some curiosity, that each one would do their own research, study {the theory of evolution, do all the boring calculations, and even read the Bible}, come to their own conclusions, and then made their own decisions on how to act {or not act} upon those conclusions based on facts, & not hearsay.

Know also
{if I'm right, and each person must 1. personally acknowledge their sins & repent of them (Romans 3:5-26), 2. recognize the "sinlessness" of Jesus & His sole ability to pay for their sins (John 10:9-18,25-30), as well as 3. ask for His forgiveness of their sins (Romans 10:1-21) as the only true avenue of salvation (John 1:1-7)} that someday you'll see this silly monkey standing on the sidelines, crying... as I watch others being tossed out of a very, very nice place and down into a immeasurably hot, completely dark, eternally inescapable place of unquenchable thirst, continuous pain, and indescribable torment.

gwal01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwal01

[quote postid="5616890" user="chris0115"]Only enough said if you know as much about the universe as a wet rock.

Not in my wildest imagination would I have thought I would learn so much and gain so much wisdom through such an unlikely source. Who knew Woot is the key element in answering such complex questions? Good stuff!

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
Halieus wrote:...wall o' text...

You may have SOME good points and observations, but how in the world did those observations lead you believe a specific book is the answer? I mean, it seems like you've just given up seeking answers. That's like if some gifts just appear under the tree overnight without knowing how they got there and just saying it was Santa Claus because you read that in a book once. That's not an answer; that's a cop-out. Keep searching and we might find out where we (and those gifts) really came from.