WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Lionel : Trainditional Xmas

How do we need to explain the importance of trains to a traditional Christmas! Lay down that track and blow the whistle, because it's time to offer our once-a-year support for the American railway industry! CHOO CHOO!

jbooth79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbooth79

Do any of these come with the track?

RPaulG87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RPaulG87
jbooth79 wrote:Do any of these come with the track?

I think so... it says "(3) Straight Fastrack Track Sections
(1) Fastrack Terminal Section
(8) Curved Fastrack Track Sections, however it doesn't list the length of the track included which is beyond strange...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

RPaulG87 wrote:I think so... it says "(3) Straight Fastrack Track Sections
(1) Fastrack Terminal Section
(8) Curved Fastrack Track Sections, however it doesn't list the length of the track included which is beyond strange...

All the ones I checked do give the track layout dimensions in the Specs.

You might check the Lionel Store for more information.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jodiwickman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodiwickman

Wow, what a mark-up on the Hogwarts Express! Kids.woot had this one for sale in June or July for $99. It sold out really fast last time and I have been hoping it would come back...but 2.5x the price? Come on, Woot!

imasonaz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages imasonaz
ThunderThighs wrote:All the ones I checked do give the track layout dimensions in the Specs.

You might check the Lionel Store for more information.

According to their store (http://www.lionelstore.com/coca-cola-reg-125th-anniversary-vintage-steam-set.html) the Coca-Cola train has one of each car, not (3) as is listed for some.

mirylad985

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mirylad985
jodiwickman wrote:Wow, what a mark-up on the Hogwarts Express! Kids.woot had this one for sale in June or July for $99. It sold out really fast last time and I have been hoping it would come back...but 2.5x the price? Come on, Woot!

The previous one for $99 was the large plastic G gauge version, which is basically a glorified (and cheap) kid's toy. This is the O gauge version, which is much better quality and not a toy as much as a hobby piece, and the engine is die-cast metal instead of thin plastic. Additionally, the cheaper one runs on batteries on cheap plastic track, while this one runs with a transformer that passes a current through proper Lionel O-gauge metal rails.

jodiwickman

mirylad985 wrote:The previous one for $99 was the large plastic G gauge version, which is basically a glorified (and cheap) kid's toy. This is the O gauge version, which is much better quality and not a toy as much as a hobby piece, and the engine is die-cast metal instead of thin plastic. Additionally, the cheaper one runs on batteries on cheap plastic track, while this one runs with a transformer that passes a current through proper Lionel O-gauge metal rails.

Nope, it was O-gauge. On kids.woot on July 16th in a special sale section... I went back and googled it. I have been haunting woot since because it was such a great deal. It was also on deals.woot two years ago for 188.00. With Amazon's everyday price of 264.99 with free shipping, woot is offering the huge savings of $2! Wow!

ThunderThighs

Staff

jodiwickman wrote:Wow, what a mark-up on the Hogwarts Express! Kids.woot had this one for sale in June or July for $99. It sold out really fast last time and I have been hoping it would come back...but 2.5x the price? Come on, Woot!

That was probably close-out pricing on last year's inventory.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

imasonaz wrote:According to their store (http://www.lionelstore.com/coca-cola-reg-125th-anniversary-vintage-steam-set.html) the Coca-Cola train has one of each car, not (3) as is listed for some.

Should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.

misslisam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages misslisam
mirylad985 wrote:The previous one for $99 was the large plastic G gauge version, which is basically a glorified (and cheap) kid's toy. This is the O gauge version, which is much better quality and not a toy as much as a hobby piece, and the engine is die-cast metal instead of thin plastic. Additionally, the cheaper one runs on batteries on cheap plastic track, while this one runs with a transformer that passes a current through proper Lionel O-gauge metal rails.

Question from someone who knows nothing about model trails. If there is a current through the metal rails, is this something that needs to be kept away from pets? Are we talking "mild shock that won't bother them but may teach them to stay away" or "Danger danger electricity do not touch the third rail"?

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
ThunderThighs wrote:That was probably close-out pricing on last year's inventory.

So what you're saying is nobody buy them now so we can all get them at closeout prices later? Ah, say no more! Say no more! ;) A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

drocpsu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drocpsu
misslisam wrote:Question from someone who knows nothing about model trails. If there is a current through the metal rails, is this something that needs to be kept away from pets? Are we talking "mild shock that won't bother them but may teach them to stay away" or "Danger danger electricity do not touch the third rail"?

It's not enough current to shock you. It's been a while since I've used an O-guage train, but I'm not even sure if you'd really feel much of anything.

fgarriel

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fgarriel
drocpsu wrote:It's not enough current to shock you. It's been a while since I've used an O-guage train, but I'm not even sure if you'd really feel much of anything.

That's why she called me O-gauge! It'd been a while since she used me and was complaining the she didn't really feel much of anything.

ThunderThighs

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:So what you're saying is nobody buy them now so we can all get them at closeout prices later? Ah, say no more! Say no more! ;) A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Same way that you can buy swim suits now at 75% off right now.

alienpaul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alienpaul

[quote postid="5619201" Are you sure it was not the G scle Lionel Harry Potter Set, it sells for that price at Walmart and Target , the O scale set sell for $200+ usually. user="jodiwickman"]Wow, what a mark-up on the Hogwarts Express! Kids.woot had this one for sale in June or July for $99. It sold out really fast last time and I have been hoping it would come back...but 2.5x the price? Come on, Woot![/quote]

jodiwickman

alienpaul wrote:

I am certain. I knew the difference and was so impressed with the deal. And it was gone during the same day, while the other stuff listed in the section stayed up for days. I am a Harry Potter fanatic and would have loved to get it for my 8 month old. I have quite literally stalked all the woot websites since then and even e-mailed a few times. We can't really spring for the normal price but a hundred bucks was too good to pass up. I am torn between continuing to haunt in the hopes that woot will lower its prices again and stopping the insanity. The jury is still out. Anyway, the July item still pops up when I do a google search as "o gauge" it just doesn't show the price anymore which was a whoppingly good $99.

mirylad985

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mirylad985
jodiwickman wrote:I am certain. I knew the difference and was so impressed with the deal. And it was gone during the same day, while the other stuff listed in the section stayed up for days. I am a Harry Potter fanatic and would have loved to get it for my 8 month old. I have quite literally stalked all the woot websites since then and even e-mailed a few times. We can't really spring for the normal price but a hundred bucks was too good to pass up. I am torn between continuing to haunt in the hopes that woot will lower its prices again and stopping the insanity. The jury is still out. Anyway, the July item still pops up when I do a google search as "o gauge" it just doesn't show the price anymore which was a whoppingly good $99.

Wow in that case, that was a wonderful deal. Even haggling at shows I have never seen this below about $200. I will warn you though, I do have this set, and the engine is VERY delicate with a lot of tiny rods and pieces that would break off even in an 8 month old's hand. Not to mention they are all tiny pieces of metal, so choking hazard galore. I'd highly recommend getting the plastic one for a young child if he/she is going to handle it at all. If they are just going to watch though, they will fall in love with the little puffs of smoke on this one.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
misslisam wrote:Question from someone who knows nothing about model trails. If there is a current through the metal rails, is this something that needs to be kept away from pets? Are we talking "mild shock that won't bother them but may teach them to stay away" or "Danger danger electricity do not touch the third rail"?

It is very low voltage and there is no shock danger. Here's a primer on Lionel power supplies

http://lionelllc.wordpress.com/projects-and-tips/wiring-your-layout/introduction-to-lionel-power-supplies/

When I was a kid we had a really old train set, probably made in the fifties. We would set it up each year and sometimes sections of the track would go dead - no power. My dad used to scrape the little prongs with a butter knife, and it would work again.

Now that I think about it, he used to fix the TV the same way. Only he used the butter knife on the prongs of the TV tubes. I think scraping with a butter knife was about the extent of his electrical knowledge. But he managed with his limited knowledge and his butter knife.

There's a home remedy for fixing your iPhone home button. But not with a butter knife.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

I think I'm looking for an O-gauge train (or whatever scale looks correct) set to put outside during Christmas. Hopefully cheap, so if a crackhead decides to steal it, i'm not out much money. anyone know what I'm looking for?

rmarquet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmarquet
drunkenalien wrote:I think I'm looking for an O-gauge train (or whatever scale looks correct) set to put outside during Christmas. Hopefully cheap, so if a crackhead decides to steal it, i'm not out much money. anyone know what I'm looking for?

G scale is normally what's used outside, but the 'real' G scale trains are expensive. However, there are G scale plastic trains (you can probably find it for a bit less elsewhere; that was just the first link I found) that might fit the bill - they're relatively cheap.

ronyon1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronyon1

Lionel sure isn't what it used to be! Most of their trains are cheaply made plastic and they have cut every corner imaginable by outsourcing production to China.

We have a huge collection of vintage Lionel trains and to compare these to the newer trains is like comparing apples to moldy raisins. The vintage Lionel's are mostly metal in construction and are very tough. This is why they are still around and running after 60+ years. The newer trains fall off the track a couple of times and the plastic parts break making them worthless.

These sets are cheaply made and, IMO, are considered disposable toys, not hobby trains like they used to be.

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
ronyon1 wrote:Lionel sure isn't what it used to be! Most of their trains are cheaply made plastic and they have cut every corner imaginable by outsourcing production to China.

We have a huge collection of vintage Lionel trains and to compare these to the newer trains is like comparing apples to moldy raisins. The vintage Lionel's are mostly metal in construction and are very tough. This is why they are still around and running after 60+ years. The newer trains fall off the track a couple of times and the plastic parts break making them worthless.

These sets are cheaply made and, IMO, are considered disposable toys, not hobby trains like they used to be.

Nothing is in the same as years passed. Outsourcing has become the norm. A friend working for Campbells Soup told me they began outsourcing CS so far to India and it took them years until they gave in and did it. Gave in? Who the heck wants Campbells, Godiva and Pepperidge Farm products being made overseas eventually? Right now outsourcing is CS but it will increase with all companies.

Don't expect what we had 50 to 75 years back. Our Lionels are great from back then, heavy and beautiful. They would cost $2000-$5000 for my engines and probably $500-$1000 a car today.

There is no comparison on any items today that were built before 1970.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
bsmith1 wrote:So what you're saying is nobody buy them now so we can all get them at closeout prices later? Ah, say no more! Say no more! ;) A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

That doesn't mean W000t is going to get it at that time again. If you're waiting, you may not find it for the excellent pricing of $100 here last time which caused it to sell out so fast. The best laid of plans of mice and men often go astray.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

mh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mh

Anyone get a weird tracking number? Mine says it was shipped from and delivered to Indianapolis which is not where it should be going. I've contacted woot support twice but have not heard back. I am starting to worry about this, it's the most expensive thing I have ever ordered from woot and having tracking say it has been delivered to some random address is freaking me out.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mh wrote:Anyone get a weird tracking number? Mine says it was shipped from and delivered to Indianapolis which is not where it should be going. I've contacted woot support twice but have not heard back. I am starting to worry about this, it's the most expensive thing I have ever ordered from woot and having tracking say it has been delivered to some random address is freaking me out.

Wow, craziness. That definitely doesn't sound like your order.

The Lionel Trains were shipped via FEDEX Smartpost and not UPS. You received an different tracking number.

I will check with Woot Member Services and see if I can't find an answer for you.

In the mean time, keep on the lookout for the package, as it's more than likely still in transit to you.