Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

Simple.TV The Ultimate DVR
Price: $89.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Read the Blog Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/26/2013 - $99.99 (Woot-off) - 57 comment(s)

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Simple.TV The Ultimate DVR
Price: $94.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

Check out the Simple.TV Website and this review from Endgadget

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3651 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

From Gigaom
From CNET

ChicagoJack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChicagoJack

Cnet review
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/simple-tv/4505-6474_7-35118119.html

sterlicious

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sterlicious

I bought this on Woot about 6 weeks ago for $99.99; including a lifetime subscription to their premium guide service. For $100 and no monthly fees, it's perfect. I use it with a Roku 3 and a 1TB external hard drive, primarily to watch/record football games and an occasional movie or tv show. The picture quality takes a few seconds to settle in, but once it does, it looks great. Simple.TV only records over-the-air channels, so it's best (only?) use is for live events.

One thing I wish I'd known: the device will format your hard drive before initial use. You cannot access the drive from a PC once it's been formatted, so do not expect your hard drive to serve a purpose other than storage for your Simple.TV

bvwj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvwj

Many of us that bought this last week are having setup trouble. http://community.simple.tv/index.php?/topic/139-setup-hanging-for-ever/

dallasguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dallasguy

I'm not that happy with my purchase so far...I bought it on woot about a week ago and received it today. After trying to set it up for several hours, I discovered that several other wooters are also having the same problem trying to set it up. It's stuck in the setup with a message of "Your Simple.TV is preparing itself for first use". Mine eventually failed after about an hour or so but others said that it was hung with that message and never ends. Very poor customer service. Who sends out new devices that can't initialize and set up correctly?

Look at the Simple.TV forums to see how many others are having this same problem...all within the last day.

http://community.simple.tv/index.php?/topic/139-setup-hanging-for-ever/

Simple.TV has NO support on weekends at all. Do they not think that people try to set these things up on the weekend? I'd think twice about buying one of these things if I were you.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

To those of you having set up issues:

I've contacted the buyer who is contacting the Simple.TV folks. They're pretty good about popping in the forum. Also, they're support will be back on Monday.

PRICE LOWERED

You'll note the price has been lowered to $89.99. If you purchased prior to the price change, the $5 will fly back into your pockets soonish.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

meteor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meteor

I also bought one of these a few weeks ago for $99. I also had a little trouble setting it up, use Chrome or Firefox. If it locks up just close out the browser and try again. I have mine connected to a couple roku 3 and the thing works great.

I ran into and issue connection through my roku 3 where I would get a message of unauthorized content pick up a vizo hdmi cable with a smart chip in it and that has solved my trouble.

dhagood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhagood

Ditto.. for all the others wasting their time setting it up. Giving up and going to bed.
Don't do it... get a homeworx PVR http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW-150PVR-Converter-Recording-Function/dp/B00CXAE92K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385883160&sr=8-1&keywords=homeworx#productDetails

Smartings

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Smartings

This won't take input from encrypted digital cable. Is there anything that will take input from encrypted digital cable?
Thanks.

mrmysterious

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrmysterious
Smartings wrote:This won't take input from encrypted digital cable. Is there anything that will take input from encrypted digital cable?
Thanks.

A Tivo with a CableCard from your cable company.

ften

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ften

Ive had mine a few months now and Im pretty happy with it. I got it as its the only OTA device that works easily with the Roku. As other have stated when you first stream from it the quality is low and then after a minute it will go to HD. Also i find some times when the play back is choppy if i pause the recording for 30 sec and then play it im good for the rest of the show.

For those having issues with setting theirs up, try a differnt external drive. It took me testing three or four differnt drives/flash drives before the simple.tv would set itself up right. I have no clue why this is, as all the drives I tested work perfectly find in my Linux and Widows machines.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
Smartings wrote:This won't take input from encrypted digital cable. Is there anything that will take input from encrypted digital cable?
Thanks.

I have a Hauppauge cable card tuner attached to a pc that works very well. No monthly fees like tivo.

thefrank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thefrank

One thing to point out about the CNET review - the skip forward issue he discusses is more an issue with the Roku than with any attached device, so keep that in mind. I'm guessing current Roku users are already aware of this.

ChicagoJack wrote:Cnet review
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/simple-tv/4505-6474_7-35118119.html

wizwor

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wizwor

I bought one of these for $100 on woot. I like it a lot and bought three more for $90 last woot. At this point in time, I may actually know more about these than Patrick and the other Simple shills. It's good and bad.

I love the hardware and the Premier software, but the software is very buggy, the documentation is useless, and support is nonexistent.

For those who do not know what a Simple DVR is, the Simple DVR is a single tuner whole house DVR. It plugs into your antenna (or Clear QAM source), your local area network, and a usb disk. The Simple.tv DVR requires a wired ethernet connection.

This woot includes a lifetime subscription to their Premier Service. This service costs $150 alone when purchased directly from Simple. This software lets you access and control the device from a web page. This page must be viewed in Chrome or Firefox, so you cannot use Internet Explorer. It doesn't work with Silk either.

The web page is *very* nice. The home tab is a list of tuned channels with virtual numbers, channel logos, and the names of currently playing programs. Click a program to begin watching in your browser. The right side of the panel links to other features and includes a summary of the recordings currently on your USB disk and scheduled for recording. The Guide pane replaces that summary with a TV Guild like grid of upcoming programming. The MyShows tab displays the shows recorded to the disk. Click a show for a list of recorded episodes including title and description.

The Guide tab includes a search box. Type some words into this box and a list of matching programs is returned. Click one of these for a list of all upcoming episodes along with title, description, and channel. Click an episode to record it or click Record This Series to begin recording all episodes (or just new episodes of the show). When you choose to record All Episodes and Reruns, the DVR will record all episodes on all channels. It will NOT re-record episodes already recorded. This is really great.

There is a Roku channel. The Roku channel can tune a live channel, initiate a recording (individual program or series, new only or new and reruns), browse upcoming programming in a Netflix-like grid, or search for programming.

I brought a Roku to my mother's house and we watched my antenna and recordings from there. There was no buffering after the show started, but YMMV. I was traveling during the World Series. I was able to watch the games locally, but switched to the Simple.tv web page (to my tv via hdmi out on the laptop) to watch post game coverage.

At 74% full, a 500g disk holds 292 30 minute shows at 720p -- I should mention that you can record at 720p or 1080p.

That's the good.

This device is not a great DVR for football games. If you like to rewind and frame-by-frame review, this will not do that, but you can back things up and pause a program.

You will be asked to let the DVR know if a program should be recorded or deferred in the case of a conflict. You will be kicked out of a live viewing without warning if a recording starts. If you try to get back in, you will be warned that a show is recording, but be given the opportunity to cancel that recording and watch live. If someone tries to watch a different live channel, the tuner will change and anyone already viewing live tv will be bounced to the menu. If they choose a live channel already being viewed, they will begin watching the live channel at the beginning of the live session rather than at the current time.

I am still learning about disk requirements. The very first disk I plugged in was a Seagate 3t backup disk (STCA3000101). It formatted to just over two terabytes, so I replaced it with a Seagate 2t backup disk (9zq2p5-500) assuming a firmware limitation. This disk formatted properly and worked for about a week before the DVR stopped recognizing it. At that point I formatted the disk on my PC and all was fine. Plugging it back into the DVR, it could not be recognized. Surprised, I plugged in the 3t disk and it was not recognized. Then I tried a 1T Seagate (9zcag-501). Also not recognized. Finally, I plugged in a 500g (WD5000H1U-00) which formatted and performed perfectly. Thinking this might be a Seagate issue, I purchased a 2t WD WDBFJK0020HBK. Not recognzed.

Now, let's talk about the error messages. The STV recognizes the fact that there is a disk attached and properly reports disk size and utilization. When I click the format button it comes back with the information in the right side of the image -- no disk attached, we couldn't detect your hard drive. Obviously untrue.

Absent any support from Simple, I continued to troubleshoot the problem by resetting the DVR. To my delight, this solved the problem and I have been happily using the DVR with the 2t WD disk for nearly a week.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to add a second DVR to a Premier account. I have read that this will be remedied by a software update in the middle of December.

I think that is about all I know about the Simple.TV DVR. I really like the Simple.tv DVR. It's not perfect, but is works better than most alternatives and the price is right. The Simple FAQ says that this premier license will work with future devices and that accounts can have multiple devices, so this is a cheap way to get the $150 license for $90 and a free tuner.

Happy wooting!

lschroeder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lschroeder

New model coming dec 12. Uses mp4 on the fly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345016

Silcondust has a new model coming that day as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345014&Tpk=HDTC-2US

comparision of this and new model

https://www.simple.tv/#bigscreen

aftab7000

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aftab7000
wizwor wrote:Absent any support from Simple, I continued to troubleshoot the problem by resetting the DVR. To my delight, this solved the problem and I have been happily using the DVR with the 2t WD disk for nearly a week.

Can you elaborate on the reset process. Was it a software reset or reset through the reset on the simple tv box itself ?

elsieanne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elsieanne

I'm still confused about whether this device will work for us. We have Charter cable, just the basic channels. Mostly, the ones we watch are the major networks. We do subscribe to HD for one of our sets; it has a cable box. The other set just receives the basic cable signal. We also have Charter high speed internet for our computer, which is located about 12 feet away from the set with the cable box. Am I going to be able to get unencripted channels to record with this device? Thanks for any answers that experienced users can provide. (PS: I am NOT going to subscribe to Charter's monthly DVR service. So far, we are recording using an old fashioned VCR. Hubby works second shift, so anything he wants to watch has to be recorded.)

jdezur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdezur
elsieanne wrote:I'm still confused about whether this device will work for us. We have Charter cable, just the basic channels. Mostly, the ones we watch are the major networks. We do subscribe to HD for one of our sets; it has a cable box. The other set just receives the basic cable signal. We also have Charter high speed internet for our computer, which is located about 12 feet away from the set with the cable box. Am I going to be able to get unencripted channels to record with this device? Thanks for any answers that experienced users can provide. (PS: I am NOT going to subscribe to Charter's monthly DVR service. So far, we are recording using an old fashioned VCR. Hubby works second shift, so anything he wants to watch has to be recorded.)

it should get the same channels as the tv without the box (those are clearqam channels). HD may be possible, but don't expect as many as the tv with the cable box (those are encrypted, and use the box to decrypt them. This dvr will ignore them). If you want to record all the hd channels, you'd need either a tivo with a cablecard, or a silicondust prime with a cablecard, or the hauppaugge pc tuner card with a cablecard, and a pc, to record your shows. Cablecards are the computer/dvr versions of the cablebox, and cable companies rent you the card similar to how they rent you your cablebox.

ari14850

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ari14850

Yup same exact problem for me. I'd guess woot is selling them today in anticipation of all the returns they are going to get next week :-)

bvwj wrote:Many of us that bought this last week are having setup trouble. http://community.simple.tv/index.php?/topic/139-setup-hanging-for-ever/

Chris9450

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Chris9450

This probably will sound redundant but I'll ask it anyhow. I already have a media server that I keep my TV Shows on and I use an XBMC box to stream them to my TV. Would it be possible for me to use this to record TV shows, then move the entire show to my media server for viewing through XBMC? I see the premiere membership does allow "offline viewing for mobile devices" but I'm not sure if that's strictly mobile devices.

nathanrudy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanrudy

Make sure this works with your TV system. I have FIOS from Verizon and it doesn't work. :-(

jtndo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtndo

On woot it says it " is transferable to any new Simple.TV devices in the future. So, when the time comes to upgrade your unit, you won’t have to purchase a new subscription. Told you – it’s that simple!"
On the simple site the lifetime is only "of the device"
Which is real????

[MOD: See [url=http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5625081]this post[/ulr] below.]

bradbranch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradbranch

I would jump on this deal if it had an HDMI port.

cravit8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cravit8
Thanks.

The product by Silicondust called HDHomerun Prime takes a cable card which is required for the encrypted stuff. But you might be confusing encrypted for NTSC (standard def channels 1-70ish). This simple.tv does ATSC and Clear-QAM. Basically, a really cheap NTSC tuner to USB can be bought and used on a PC, like for the last 20 years.

The new model of Simple.TV is being partner produced by SiliconDust and Simple.TV and will stream to Apple TV and will have 2 tuners inside it (2 channels at a time). Email I received in September about it said December release, I thinks that's why this is on sale.

cravit8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cravit8
Chris9450 wrote:Would it be possible for me to use this to record TV shows, then move the entire show to my media server for viewing through XBMC?

I looked into this also, and the answer is no.
That is what held me on the fence about this product compared to using Windows media center to record shows, because WMC shows can be converted to usable files using handbrake while there is no way to get the videos off of the simple TV DVR.

atewathia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atewathia

Does it work in India too or it's only for US?

firmlyanchored

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firmlyanchored
jtndo wrote:On woot it says it " is transferable to any new Simple.TV devices in the future. So, when the time comes to upgrade your unit, you won’t have to purchase a new subscription. Told you – it’s that simple!"
Which is real????

Found on the simple.tv FAQS site

"Can I transfer my subscription if I buy a new unit?

Yes! Rest assured whether you buy a unit today or upgrade to a new unit a year from now, we won’t charge you extra for the subscription. Every Simple.TV subscription can accommodate new units as long as you have a valid Simple.TV subscription."

https://www.simple.tv/faq

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
sterlicious wrote:I bought this on Woot about 6 weeks ago for $99.99; including a lifetime subscription to their premium guide service. For $100 and no monthly fees, it's perfect. I use it with a Roku 3 and a 1TB external hard drive, primarily to watch/record football games and an occasional movie or tv show. The picture quality takes a few seconds to settle in, but once it does, it looks great. Simple.TV only records over-the-air channels, so it's best (only?) use is for live events.

One thing I wish I'd known: the device will format your hard drive before initial use. You cannot access the drive from a PC once it's been formatted, so do not expect your hard drive to serve a purpose other than storage for your Simple.TV

"I use it with a Roku 3" "TV only records over-the-air channels"
Can you clarify what you said? These two items seem at odds with each other.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

elsieanne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elsieanne

Thanks very much, jdezur.
So... I would hook this Simple.TV box to the TV set that does not have the box? Because the channels coming through the box are all encrypted? Or just some of them?
(Sorry to be so dumb, but I'm really considering buying this, and want to know how/if I can use it.)

wizwor

aftab7000 wrote:Can you elaborate on the reset process. Was it a software reset or reset through the reset on the simple tv box itself ?

Software. From the web page, click the gear, then settings, and it is an option on that page.

wizwor

Chris9450 wrote:This probably will sound redundant but I'll ask it anyhow. I already have a media server that I keep my TV Shows on and I use an XBMC box to stream them to my TV. Would it be possible for me to use this to record TV shows, then move the entire show to my media server for viewing through XBMC? I see the premiere membership does allow "offline viewing for mobile devices" but I'm not sure if that's strictly mobile devices.

It says 'coming soon' under that feature.

wizwor

toolengineer wrote:I bought this product, HOW can you like it..
You can't even get cable TV on it...How archaic
graze on me...

It's pretty awesome. It's a smart whole house DVR that can store 2t of programs and be accessed remotely.

wizwor

jtndo wrote:On woot it says it " is transferable to any new Simple.TV devices in the future. So, when the time comes to upgrade your unit, you won’t have to purchase a new subscription. Told you – it’s that simple!"
Which is real????

At launch, the license was per device (a la Tivo). Later they changed the terms. Their web site is woefully out of date.

wizwor

bradbranch wrote:I would jump on this deal if it had an HDMI port.

I may have some good news for you: no hdmi port required. This sits on your network and streams to other devices (PC, Roku, phone). Jump away!

wizwor

cravit8 wrote:The product by Silicondust called HDHomerun Prime takes a cable card which is required for the encrypted stuff. But you might be confusing encrypted for NTSC (standard def channels 1-70ish). This simple.tv does ATSC and Clear-QAM. Basically, a really cheap NTSC tuner to USB can be bought and used on a PC, like for the last 20 years.

The new model of Simple.TV is being partner produced by SiliconDust and Simple.TV and will stream to Apple TV and will have 2 tuners inside it (2 channels at a time). Email I received in September about it said December release, I thinks that's why this is on sale.

No doubt. Remember that you will still spend $150 for Premier after spending $250 for your two tuner Simple V2. Even if you do not use the third tuner, you are saving $60 on Premier.

wizwor

elsieanne wrote:Thanks very much, jdezur.
So... I would hook this Simple.TV box to the TV set that does not have the box? Because the channels coming through the box are all encrypted? Or just some of them?
(Sorry to be so dumb, but I'm really considering buying this, and want to know how/if I can use it.)

You do not want this for cable. Even if you have unencrypted cable channels NOW, you will not for long.