WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gifts For Pets

Pets are there for you, even when everyone else in the world lets you down. They may not completely understand the concept of holidays, but they know the pack is unwrapping stuff together. Let them be a part of things as well. That's what a good alpha would do.

theco2

quality posts: 50 Private Messages theco2

If you have a smart dog, the games are worth their weight in gold.

kelslee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kelslee
theco2 wrote:If you have a smart dog, the games are worth their weight in gold.

I have a smart dog and an "interactive" game toy very similar to some of those here and it took her all of 15 seconds to get all the treats out. By the time I set the toy down, allowed her to "find it" and stood back up the treats were gone. Personally, I'd suggest saving your money if you have a smart (or incredibly food motivated) dog. You can make your own game with a muffin tin and tennis balls (put a treat in the tin and then place ball over treat - dog has to take ball out to get treat).

theco2

kelslee wrote:I have a smart dog and an "interactive" game toy very similar to some of those here and it took her all of 15 seconds to get all the treats out. By the time I set the toy down, allowed her to "find it" and stood back up the treats were gone. Personally, I'd suggest saving your money if you have a smart (or incredibly food motivated) dog. You can make your own game with a muffin tin and tennis balls (put a treat in the tin and then place ball over treat - dog has to take ball out to get treat).

If your dog is that smart Nina Ottosson has some extremely challenging games.

modi123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modi123

I am unclear.. is the "BUSTER DogMaze" large enough to handle two golden retrievers? It looks about right for my King Charles Spaniel, but I want to make sure goldens will have enough room to maneuver the maze to fetch me my wish for a Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant.

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

Forewarning to anyone considering the antlers:

It's common for dogs to just straight up have no interest in them. My dog loves bones of any kind, but he refuses to chew the horns/antlers we've gotten him. I've soaked them in chicken stock overnight like some recommended and they're still too refined for his tastes.

I'd recommend taking your dog to a pet store that sells them first to see if he has any interest in them before committing to a purchase.

That being said--a lot of these are interesting, but it's hard to get a grip on them. I've got a corgi mix who eats very quickly, like corgis are notorious for, and I've been wanting some kind of activity to stuff his food into to slow down his intake and engage him mentally, but I have no idea the size of these things, how much they can hold, or if they're all the kind where you shove things in one piece at a time.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

theco2

cymbalmonkey wrote:Forewarning to anyone considering the antlers:

It's common for dogs to just straight up have no interest in them. My dog loves bones of any kind, but he refuses to chew the horns/antlers we've gotten him. I've soaked them in chicken stock overnight like some recommended and they're still too refined for his tastes.

I'd recommend taking your dog to a pet store that sells them first to see if he has any interest in them before committing to a purchase.

That being said--a lot of these are interesting, but it's hard to get a grip on them. I've got a corgi mix who eats very quickly, like corgis are notorious for, and I've been wanting some kind of activity to stuff his food into to slow down his intake and engage him mentally, but I have no idea the size of these things, how much they can hold, or if they're all the kind where you shove things in one piece at a time.

Good advise! I've also heard coating them in peanut butter, helps get their interest. I don't know if they would like it until the peanut butter is gone, or just keep going, though.

My dog loves antlers and they last him a long time. In fact, I went to a flea market and got him a full rack (make sure you grind the ends if they are real sharp).

kbeckerphx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbeckerphx

One concern, FYI: healthy dogs have been known to crack their teeth chewing on antlers.

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

I wish the cat trees had some nice berber carpet on them instead of that cheap faux fur material. They like to scratch the berber. The faux fur doesn't hold up to their shenanigans.

cymbalmonkey

theco2 wrote:Good advise! I've also heard coating them in peanut butter, helps get their interest. I don't know if they would like it until the peanut butter is gone, or just keep going, though.

My dog loves antlers and they last him a long time. In fact, I went to a flea market and got him a full rack (make sure you grind the ends if they are real sharp).

Coating it in peanut butter just results in him licking the peanut butter off.

I've tried pretty much everything, he's just a little princess :P

cymbalmonkey

Also I really hate to double post on this, but I wanted to make this a separate post as a warning on the Pyramid toy.

From this website, http://bauhoundhaus.blogspot.com/2011/02/kongs-new-wobbler-vs-nina-ottossons.html:

"The Pyramid has a serious design fault. It has a seam right before the weight at the bottom that after extended use can crack. Once it is broken, it is broken. I have duct taped one together, but it’s not the safest way to deal with the issue when it’s a toy you plan to leave alone with your dog. I have attempted to crazy glue one, too, but the glue broke with one slam by our toy tester, Kiah. This design fault, however, is not the only challenge to the Pyramid – it only has the dispensing hole to fill the toy with. When you want to put breakfast in it or any quantity of treats or kibble, it can be frustrating and time consuming."

I was considering the Pyramid, but now I think I'll just save up for the Kong Wobbler instead.

philmont

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philmont

What is the country of origin for the antlers?

madamhusker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madamhusker

I'm with Phil....

ARE THE ANTLERS IMPORTED?

I refuse to knowingly feed my three dogs anything from China, Brazil, or other far-off entities.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

philmont wrote:What is the country of origin for the antlers?

I've asked for this info.

UPDATE: USA. Sale has been updated.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

yaddiex3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yaddiex3

GleePet. Will your cats burst out in spontaneous song?

Serafyna

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Serafyna
cymbalmonkey wrote:Coating it in peanut butter just results in him licking the peanut butter off.

I've tried pretty much everything, he's just a little princess :P

Eh, it's not just yours. I have two Golden Doodles, one is VERY picky about what she will chew, the other has gone after nearly everything -- except antlers. Neither one would touch them, despite my best efforts.

One of my favorite finds for aggressive chewers is Himalayan cheese. They soak the goat cheese in lime, and it sits out and hardens, it's a food humans eat. It lasts much longer then bully sticks and similar products.

Blustreak21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blustreak21

My dog usually needs some time with the antler to get interested. He acts like he doesn't care and won't pay it any attention for a while but soon enough its his best chew toy. Be careful with giving your dog an antler that is too narrow. For my dog at least, most deer antlers are too small so I use elk and he loves them. Even though the ends start out flat, he sometimes gnaws them into very sharp ends on his own. Watch out for that!

mommasharon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mommasharon

http://www.woot.com/offers/gleepet-70-cat-tree-beige

I received this tree as a gift last Christmas. I timed it & it took me under 25 minutes to assemble the whole thing. The two cats in the house LOVE LOVE LOVE this tree. A two-year-old niece loved it as well. She ended up sitting and wiggling on one of the perches & we had to remove it (just the one perch) after it became unstable. I'm debating getting a second one for another part of the house.

ThunderThighs

Staff

mommasharon wrote:http://www.woot.com/offers/gleepet-70-cat-tree-beige

I received this tree as a gift last Christmas. I timed it & it took me under 25 minutes to assemble the whole thing. The two cats in the house LOVE LOVE LOVE this tree. A two-year-old niece loved it as well. She ended up sitting and wiggling on one of the perches & we had to remove it (just the one perch) after it became unstable. I'm debating getting a second one for another part of the house.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You might try some large washers to see if you can stabilize that perch again.

yaddiex3 wrote:GleePet. Will your cats burst out in spontaneous song?

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam
theco2 wrote:If your dog is that smart Nina Ottosson has some extremely challenging games.

several of the puzzles here are greatly discounted Nina Ottosson. Good job, woot! this is the pet sale I've been waiting for!!

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot
cymbalmonkey wrote:
I've got a corgi mix who eats very quickly, like corgis are notorious for, and I've been wanting some kind of activity to stuff his food into to slow down his intake and engage him mentally, but I have no idea the size of these things, how much they can hold, or if they're all the kind where you shove things in one piece at a time.

Take a look at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ARUKTG. Although he isn't usually a chowhound like yours, I got it for my 25-pound dog's mental and physical stimulation, and he loves getting his evening kibble ration in it. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it allows you to gradually increase the degree of difficulty as your pup catches on. It's very easy to fill and clean too. The only minor hassle is having to put down a couple of rolled-up towels to corral the action, so that it doesn't roll into inaccessible corners.

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam
cymbalmonkey wrote:I've got a corgi mix who eats very quickly, like corgis are notorious for, and I've been wanting some kind of activity to stuff his food into to slow down his intake and engage him mentally, but I have no idea the size of these things, how much they can hold, or if they're all the kind where you shove things in one piece at a time.

I got this for my German Shepherd: http://www.amazon.com/Aikiou-Interactive-Dog-Bowl-Blue/dp/B00363HVE6

He figured it out very quickly but it slows him down and got rid of the post-meal belches. It's worth noting that I got the aikou because the nina toys were so expensive. at these prices, though, I'm planning on getting 1 or 2 of the ninas as well to provide more of a challenge.

dbzrpg15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbzrpg15

Does anyone have any experience with GleePet cat trees? How's the quality? Thanks.

sudotrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sudotrin
dbzrpg15 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with GleePet cat trees? How's the quality? Thanks.

I'd like to know as well. I'm a bit put off that the covering is faux fur and not carpet (as commenter above pointed out). Also (serious question) does anyone know where I can get a safe "cat warmer"/heating pad kind of thing? Our oldest is about to turn 18 and really could use some extra heat. Her poor old bones are not liking the change in temperature even here in South Florida. Don't want to use regular heating pad as a friend's house burned down that way ...

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

sudotrin wrote:I'd like to know as well. I'm a bit put off that the covering is faux fur and not carpet (as commenter above pointed out). Also (serious question) does anyone know where I can get a safe "cat warmer"/heating pad kind of thing? Our oldest is about to turn 18 and really could use some extra heat. Her poor old bones are not liking the change in temperature even here in South Florida. Don't want to use regular heating pad as a friend's house burned down that way ...

I have no cat-experience with the cat trees in this sale, but I recently got this thing for my kitten for her first winter, and of course she doesn't seem to give a flip. It was recommended to me by another cat owner though whose cat does love it and I bet once it does get colder (or my stupid cat gets older) she'd love it.

kmbkmb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmbkmb
sudotrin wrote:I'd like to know as well. I'm a bit put off that the covering is faux fur and not carpet (as commenter above pointed out). Also (serious question) does anyone know where I can get a safe "cat warmer"/heating pad kind of thing? Our oldest is about to turn 18 and really could use some extra heat. Her poor old bones are not liking the change in temperature even here in South Florida. Don't want to use regular heating pad as a friend's house burned down that way ...

I got one of these Petsafe heated beds (http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Wellness-Sleeper-Small-23/dp/B005N01BR8/) in the "small" size about 7 years ago, when I had a 15-year-old cat whose joints were starting to stiffen. She loved it, as did the 3-year-old-without-stiff-joints. The old girl passed, but the bed still works 7 years later, and both my cats (the now-10-year-old-but-still-without-stiff-joints, and a spry 5-year-old) love it, often preferring it over my lap. I call it "the electric lap." And I leave it plugged in 24/7 once the weather starts getting cool, obviously never had a problem.

misslisam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages misslisam

I have little flannel pillows filled with uncooked rice that I put in the microwave for my feet on cold winter nights. My dog absolutely loves them. I bet your cat would appreciate it. No electricity, so no chance of it burning things down.

Also, I am surprised so many people here have dogs who don't love antlers. I have to hide them from my dog and only take them out on special occassions (going to the vet, for instance) because they are her favoritest thing in the world.

brianleb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianleb

For those curious about the cat trees, Amazon does have a few (7 total, all of which are Verified owners) reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=gleepet&qid=1386027129&rh=k%3Agleepet%2Cn%3A2619533011&sort=reviewrank_authority

Largely positive. The one negative review complains it is cheaply made, and in fact one of the positive reviews appears to concur. Woot price is about 25% better than Amazon price.

Our two kittens (12+ pounds at 8 months... you decide if they are kittens) have somewhat outgrown their old cat tree (an Armarkat off of Amazon - we love it) and this looks like the best-priced cat tree I have seen for its size. I think I'm going to splurge.

kelslee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kelslee
theco2 wrote:If your dog is that smart Nina Ottosson has some extremely challenging games.

Good to know they make more challenging ones - I haven't seen those before! But we'll stick to disc, agility, competition obedience, nosework, and tricks to keep her mind and body busy. Helps keep my mind and body busy, too!

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

I have the automatic pet feeder, although its annoying to set because of the complicated controls it works FANTASTIC. I used it 2 feed to cats when I travel for work and I've been gone 6 days at a time, and it would feed them twice a day as set on the clock. Highly recommend.

shortwave8669

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shortwave8669

I was going to purchase one of the dog scratchers. But after a close analysis he doesn't have thumbs so I don't think he'll be able to grasp the handle

mglennx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mglennx

You can buy special heating pads at Petsmart or someplace like Drsfosterandsmith.com (sp?). They also sell beds with a zipin heating component. My cats looove them!

Michelle

mglennx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mglennx
shortwave8669 wrote:I was going to purchase one of the dog scratchers. But after a close analysis he doesn't have thumbs so I don't think he'll be able to grasp the handle

Good catch!😏

Michelle

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

The Snuggle Safe that @Agingdragqueen mentioned is on sale today at link provided.
{I order from them all the time, they are legit} Yesterday it was a couple bucks less But it's still a very very good price.
I used it for my geriatric cats. Stays warm for 12 hours . Wrap it in a fuzzy blanket or tuck it in their bed. It's weird that it's hard, but they would snuggle up to it or on it if I wrapped it in a blanket. Also came in handy w/ a stray that I had in my garage before I could get her rehomed.
I must confess, that now my senior cats are gone,and I have young adults. I use it for me. I warm it up and tuck it under the covers and my bed is so nice and toasty to crawl into on these cold winter nights !
IOW even if your cat doesn't like it, you will, so you won't be out anything.

kmbkmb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmbkmb
Jayrookie wrote:I have the automatic pet feeder, although its annoying to set because of the complicated controls it works FANTASTIC. I used it 2 feed to cats when I travel for work and I've been gone 6 days at a time, and it would feed them twice a day as set on the clock. Highly recommend.

I have a different brand of auto-feeder, but I love it, too. I initially got it for a short trip, but I kept using it so the cats wouldn't dance on me at 6AM when they wanted breakfast and I wanted sleep. Took the older one 6 months to realize there would be food in the bowl even if I was still in bed, but the younger one only took 3 months to figure out the schedule so she could be first in line.

I admit these two cats would probably be riding the short bus if they went to school.

I do recommend finding an AC adapter that works with your model. The battery life was well under what was advertised for my unit, and once I got a $15 adapter, it was something less to worry about the batteries crapping out while I was out of town.

hrmelder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hrmelder

Are the posts of the cat trees covered in sisal, or faux fur as well? My cats love the heck out of sisal posts, and I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

kle11az

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az

Hey Woot, where's the love for those of us with fish and hamsters as pets? Actually I think the hamsters are my dog's pets as they're mesmerized every time they get access to the living room to visit them.

ThunderThighs

Staff

hrmelder wrote:Are the posts of the cat trees covered in sisal, or faux fur as well? My cats love the heck out of sisal posts, and I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

I'm asking. I can't tell from the pics either.

Update: The posts are covered with sisal rope.

kle11az wrote:Hey Woot, where's the love for those of us with fish and hamsters as pets? Actually I think the hamsters are my dog's pets as they're mesmerized every time they get access to the living room to visit them.

Suggestion passed on.

KNRG

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KNRG

I'm trying to gauge the size of the cat trees as compared to my cat..

How big is the big fluffy white cat in the pictures?

lizardrebel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lizardrebel

The bottom box of the 70-inch cat tree with some soup cans for reference.

This is the upper box (I tied ribbons on so they could play with them.)

These kitties are "medium."