WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Preferred public transit: bus or train/subway?
  • 7.5% - Bus 130
  • 53.2% - Train/Subway 921
  • 39.2% - I'll walk, thanks 679
1730 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Whatever has the least offensive smell that day.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

micnorman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micnorman

Ferry.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

If it's less than 1.5 miles or so, I'll probably walk. Subway is more efficient, but the bus system in NYC (outside of Manhattan, anyway) is generally okay.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Can I get a transfer? Hey, they work together last I knew. I don't live where public transit serves now though. The only buses here are yellow.

gizmovision

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gizmovision

with our local hub going downtown, where noone shops or does much of anything. it doesn't make sense to ride the bus to the mall. I can walk there in 1/2 the time even with 4 inches of snow on the ground.

rascul22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rascul22

Whatever is most direct, i.e. has the least transfers, and doesn't destroy my pocket in the meantime. I also prefer to have a seat and not feel like a sardine on any given day, so the subway is not my favorite for long trips typically...

jpa1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpa1

Our only form of public transportation is bus. Walking is great, depending on the weather, and in Reno NV it is subject to change within a few minutes.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

No public transit.
I prefer to drive my own vehicle.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

We don't have subways here & no local rail, and buses are few & far between. I drive myself.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

faster and safer to walk around here - even at night

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

Living in Philadelphia, I find our public transit simultaneously convenient and terrible. the drivers are rude, there's drunken homeless people screaming in the cars, there's urine everywhere...but they RUN.

When I lived in Houston and Dallas, the public transit system could be summed up with "going downtown? No? Buy a car. Smaller cities I lived in like Albany seemed to have public transit consisting solely of tour buses.

I believe news articles that rank Philly near the top of the country for public transit because I can literally walk from where I'm sitting to a trolley that takes me straight to a major transit center, and from there to anywhere in the general metro area. But also I believe people who say they had a vodka bottle thrown at them by a homeless person on drugs because I've seen that happen. You want to get high? Hang out in the back of a philly trolley car for a while.

megabite6d9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megabite6d9

It really depends on what city and where the stops are for each. I like the concept of trains, but they never stop near any pickup or dropoffs I need. I would totally take one to work if it were possible.

ardubu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

I try to drive as close to my destination as possible - then, break out the fold-up bicycle, and bike the rest of the way (less than 5 miles).
Good exercise and cuts stress.
Cars can be pretty brutal though.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

salanth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages salanth

Streetcars are awesome. Subways get you long distances fastest. Buses work fine most of the time.

Some bus stops are pretty bad, though.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

balisane wrote:If it's less than 1.5 miles or so, I'll probably walk. Subway is more efficient, but the bus system in NYC (outside of Manhattan, anyway) is generally okay.

Only in the city will people say 1.5 miles is a walk!
What I love is the subway run slow in Jan and Feb. Somehow every ride, which should be about 45 minutes to an hour, takes 2 full hours.

4 hours for a trip that on Sunday, by car in low traffic, takes 30 minutes.

As for bus of train (subway) ... they are both bad! Especially if you have to stand on a long ride.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.