ElizardbethWoots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ElizardbethWoots
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Meh. Got one when it came out, can't stand it. The screen is too narrow to be usable. Give me an iPad mini any day.


apple fanboy, much?

I love my first gen N7. My not quite 2 year old loves it too. He's been pretty rough on it (and even got carsick on it twice) and it's still working well.

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
ktappe wrote:Now, as for the Nexus 7, I got one last time it was offered (just 3 weeks ago). I also happened to get an iPad Mini then because that's when they were released. So I am qualified to compare them.

What the Nexus has going for it: Price.

Well, that's about it. It's heavier, thicker, slower, and the battery life is really bad (2-3 hours). Further, no matter what Google wants you to believe, Android is notably harder to use than iOS.

Yes, the iPad is several times more expensive. But if you can afford it, that's the route to take. This Nexus is interesting and I am using it for some things, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $150 for it.

Oh, this unit does update nicely and easily to KitKat in case anyone's wondering.



If your battery only lasts 2-3 hours, it is defective and needs to be returned.

ElizardbethWoots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ElizardbethWoots
tslattery wrote:How, exactly, is it "harder to use"? My 5 year old daughter has no problem finding games and playing them on any Android device she's used (straight Android, Samsung, Kindle, etc.) and can easily use the search functions to find videos or more apps. I know she's smart, but I would assume most adults are at least similarly capable.



My son has been able to change screens and open games, etc since he was about 15 months old...There is nothing 'hard' about using android,

ElizardbethWoots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ElizardbethWoots
morriea wrote:If your battery only lasts 2-3 hours, it is defective and needs to be returned.



I get 4 hours streaming video on mine before it gives me the 20% warning... even with heavy use you should get more than 2-3 hours...

aye512


quality posts: 2 Private Messages aye512
jboll33 wrote:Ok I am not really that good at this stuff, but will I be able to read my Kindle books on this?



Yep, just get the Kindle app from Amazon. Got my wife a Kindle last year, and now I've got all her books on 2 Android tablets and my Ipod!!!

morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
russwjohns wrote:Do you have actual HANDS ON experience with the Hisense Sero 7 Pro?? Build quality is in fact exemplary. The reviews comparing these two appeared to be biased (maybe since Google $ ads symbiotically with there sites?). You must have failed to read the comments by actual users. You can spend more and get more but you won't get as much bang for your buck as you can with the Sero 7 Pro. I wouldn't get a gen1 Nexus 7 unless it was selling at least $20 less than the Hisense refurbs.



Sorry, The Hisense has only 8GB of internal storage and Apps will not run off the microSD. This is not enough to handle the Apps that I need on my device. This is a serious shortcoming that the Sero lovers NEVER mention.

blaineg


quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
ktappe wrote:It's heavier, thicker, slower, and the battery life is really bad (2-3 hours).



You've got a defective Nexus 7. I bought one at launch 1.5 years ago, and not even heavy game playing can kill the battery in 2-3 hours. In normal use (email, web, etc.) it easily lasts for days on a charge.

blaineg


quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
ktappe wrote:Woot hasn't been around for 10 years as far as I'm aware.


July 12, 2004 according to Wikipedia. What kind of birthday party do you think we can expect next year?


How about those who have been on for years and never gotten a Big ol' Cornucopia I check Woot daily and have never scored one in 3.5 years.


After years of missing them, I hit a streak for a few months and scored several bags of crap. They were as advertized, uniformly crappy.

Spock: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

lifesucksmedead


quality posts: 7 Private Messages lifesucksmedead
mustbechris wrote:Nice tablet when it works. Mine bricked after less than a year of moderate use. Geek squad people are of the opinion that it bricked because its battery drained to zero, which is a pretty terrible design flaw. I had actually planned on getting it repaired because I really liked it, but I ended up buying a Surface RT instead, so it's just sitting there now.

But yeah, as long as it's working, it's not outdated by any means. It works fast enough, runs games beautifully, it's snappy and responsive, I loved it while it worked. You really can't beat the value at this price.



A method to try and get it back from this as mine has done it a few times when it was drained to zero is charge it for a few hours (even if it doesn't show it is charging) then press and hold the power button and the volume up button, hold for about 5-10 seconds. Attempt this about....o, I'd say, 10 times every hour or so (while still on charger). Mine has always come back. (2nd gen) But I've had to also do the same thing to my moms when she let hers die completely and hers is a 1st gen. Same method too.

I hope this works for you.

V'Owl Proud!!

7/11/14 Birthday Random Crap and Shirt Crap
5/23/14 Skemmis Apology Crap
4/30/14 Random Crap
4/22/14 (Hand)Blackboard of Cleanlieness
3/24/14 Pet Crap -_- Joy
2/17/14 Shirt.woot Crap
1/16/14 Shill Game Crap
12/20/13 Backpack of Crap
12/10/13 Day 8 Blackboard of Cleanlienessmas
8/22/13 Blackboard of Cleanlieness
3/22/12 Blackboard of Cleanlieness LXXIII: Crapvengers!
First Purchase- 3/9/11 SOG Multi-tool

blaineg


quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
mustbechris wrote:Nice tablet when it works. Mine bricked after less than a year of moderate use. Geek squad people are of the opinion that it bricked because its battery drained to zero, which is a pretty terrible design flaw. I had actually planned on getting it repaired because I really liked it, but I ended up buying a Surface RT instead, so it's just sitting there now.



The geek squad must be guessing, as mine has gone to zero battery a few times with no ill effect. Though it is annoying to have to wait a while for it to charge before it will even turn on.

Short of an actual hardware failure, the Nexus 7 is nearly unbrickable.

blaineg


quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg

It's been alluded to, but one of the strengths of the Nexus devices is they are the first to get OS updates.

These Nexus 7s will prompt you to update to Android OS 4.4, aka KitKat, the latest & greatest, not long after you turn them on.

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
blaineg wrote:Spock: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."


@blaineg, wisest thing written here today.

tindios


quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios
russwjohns wrote:Do you have actual HANDS ON experience with the Hisense Sero 7 Pro?? Build quality is in fact exemplary. The reviews comparing these two appeared to be biased (maybe since Google $ ads symbiotically with there sites?). You must have failed to read the comments by actual users. You can spend more and get more but you won't get as much bang for your buck as you can with the Sero 7 Pro. I wouldn't get a gen1 Nexus 7 unless it was selling at least $20 less than the Hisense refurbs.



Um Yes, ACTUAL HANDS ON.. .Do you actually have it with the Nexus?? A guy I work with was suckered into buying that piece of garbage since it was "on sale". And he still says almost daily he'd trade for my Nexus 7 in a heartbeat.

And sure there are many fanboy's of the Hisense since it's cheaper, but try looking at some objective reviews. There are lots of people that would rather save $20 and get a lesser device since they are saving $20. I however, would not.

And if you would take a Hisense over a Nexus 1st gen then that's your weird choice and I somehow doubt you have ANY real experience with the Nexus 7 then... BTW, Let me know IF you ever get KitKat. ;-Þ

tindios


quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios
klandon61 wrote:Yugo to Lexus? Maybe you are thinking of a different Hisense model.

The Sero 7 Pro is the model I am referring to. PC Magazine rated it as excellent. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424041,00.asp



Nope not thinking of anything different. However, I am confused at your argument.... in that VERY article it says, "and if you're not willing to shell out $200 for a cutting-edge Google Nexus 7" THEN look at the Hisense. So YES, it is a Yugo.... and if you want to save money you can get ALMOST as good of a machine for less. (PC Mag also rated the Nexus 2012 version higher if you bothered to look.

Did you actually read that article before you posted it as a link? The whole thing is about how close it is to the Nexus 7... Wow, great sales pitch for a Hisense.

jonrogers


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonrogers

Here is the cheap quality tablet I was looking for the 2 year old. No more fights with the 3 year old having to share.

Going immediately in to one of these that has protected the first tablet in pristine condition for almost 2 years:
http://www.amazon.com/Gumdrop-Series-Google-Nexus-DT-NEXUS7-BLK-BLK/dp/B0098V1GBY/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_z

eq5150


quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

Sorry if this has been asked but is the storage expandable with an SD card?

Phaedre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phaedre
mustbechris wrote:Nice tablet when it works. Mine bricked after less than a year of moderate use. Geek squad people are of the opinion that it bricked because its battery drained to zero, which is a pretty terrible design flaw. I had actually planned on getting it repaired because I really liked it, but I ended up buying a Surface RT instead, so it's just sitting there now.




Hey, this happened to me too. If you still have it, leave it plugged in over night. Then unplug it and hold the power button for a long time (I think 30 seconds, but it's been a while and I can't find the forum that suggested this). If that doesn't work, press and hold the volume up and power buttons at the same time while it's plugged in.

escalante


quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
eq5150 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked but is the storage expandable with an SD card?


No, but it is with an OTC cable (about $1), the app “Nexus Media Importer”, and a flash drive. I also like the app “MX Player” to play movies from the flash drive. Some people do not like the OTC cable, but for movies it works great. You are only limited on the size of your flash drive and the amount of the flash drives for your total capacity.

FryeGuy93


quality posts: 1 Private Messages FryeGuy93

I have/had a First Gen Nexus 16gb. Loved it. Cracked the screen as I use it as a bedside alarm clock and apparently hit the snooze too hard.

It would cost more than this price to replace the shattered screen.

16gb was not nearly large enough to store what I needed. I wanted to add CoPilot app to use as in-car GPS but with the music and other stored items, I had too little space for the app.

The first gen has a minor problem with minimal screen delamination

FryeGuy

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

wouldhee72 wrote:Looks like my last comment has been pulled off the board. I bought one of these three weeks ago and it arrived with a broken digitizer. Obviously they aren't that "reconditioned". I have been trying for three weeks to get woot to send me the return information and they keep telling me that it is in my spam folder. Obviously if I am getting my daily deal emails, I would receive a direct email with the return slip. And I also know enough to check my junk mail. I finally sent Woot a screen shot of my spam folder and they still won't respond. Be Careful!



Woot Member Services has responded to two of your email requests and also given you an RMA number to ship your order back to Woot.

I've also private messaged you with the details of your return since it appears you haven't received them via email. Please click/check the envelope located in the top right corner of the forums.

Please also double check the Inbox and Spam folder of your email provider as some of Woot Member Services' responses get filtered there.

Edit: We also suggest using/adding an alternative email address to your Woot account.

ElizardbethWoots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ElizardbethWoots
FryeGuy93 wrote:I have/had a First Gen Nexus 16gb. Loved it. Cracked the screen as I use it as a bedside alarm clock and apparently hit the snooze too hard.

It would cost more than this price to replace the shattered screen.

16gb was not nearly large enough to store what I needed. I wanted to add CoPilot app to use as in-car GPS but with the music and other stored items, I had too little space for the app.

The first gen has a minor problem with minimal screen delamination



Alarm clock xtreme I believe is the name of the app I use. I set it to have to shake to snooze and do math to turn off on my droid 4.

russwjohns


quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
tindios wrote:Um Yes, ACTUAL HANDS ON.. .Do you actually have it with the Nexus?? A guy I work with was suckered into buying that piece of garbage since it was "on sale". And he still says almost daily he'd trade for my Nexus 7 in a heartbeat.

And sure there are many fanboy's of the Hisense since it's cheaper, but try looking at some objective reviews. There are lots of people that would rather save $20 and get a lesser device since they are saving $20. I however, would not.

And if you would take a Hisense over a Nexus 1st gen then that's your weird choice and I somehow doubt you have ANY real experience with the Nexus 7 then... BTW, Let me know IF you ever get KitKat. ;-Þ



Garbage is a mighty strong word there Pilgrim, and unjustified. Check out some the the side by side performance demos of both on Utube. Sero 7 has better sound, wider viewing angles, brighter colors runs same apps, is just as responsive. Garbage should be reserved for older single core and dual core tablets on the market. The Sero 7 Pro may be a Nexus 7 clone but it does have more features.

Does your Nexus have NFC compatibility with your Samsung phones? What features does the Nexus 7 have that the Sero 7 lacks except greater internal RAM size?

btw... the Seros have been getting OS upgrades to JellyBean 4.3 and everyone in the know, knows that google interates directly to their products first. So what if you get KitKat first, BFD.

Seriously, lets face it. The new Nexus 7 HD is better than both but you must pay the price for that leading edge product. Myself, I prefer to stay away from that bleeding edge and buy into 2nd tier which provides power but is discounted. I don't need an overpriced Lexus; an MB is good too. And I refuse to be fallguy for marketing. Of course , YMMV

klandon61


quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61
tindios wrote:Nope not thinking of anything different. However, I am confused at your argument.... in that VERY article it says, "and if you're not willing to shell out $200 for a cutting-edge Google Nexus 7" THEN look at the Hisense. So YES, it is a Yugo.... and if you want to save money you can get ALMOST as good of a machine for less. (PC Mag also rated the Nexus 2012 version higher if you bothered to look.

Did you actually read that article before you posted it as a link? The whole thing is about how close it is to the Nexus 7... Wow, great sales pitch for a Hisense.




Um, yes, I did read the article. It recommends the Hisense if you don't want to spend $200 for the 2013 Nexus. Have had hands on experience with 2012 Nexus and the Hisense. They are very similar and both work great. The Hisense has a micro SD slot.

BTW, I've always appreciated the general good humor and good sense of the Woot forums. The tone of some the posts re the Hisense is unusual and unwlecome.

russwjohns


quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
tindios wrote:Nope not thinking of anything different. However, I am confused at your argument.... in that VERY article it says, "and if you're not willing to shell out $200 for a cutting-edge Google Nexus 7" THEN look at the Hisense. So YES, it is a Yugo.... and if you want to save money you can get ALMOST as good of a machine for less. (PC Mag also rated the Nexus 2012 version higher if you bothered to look.

Did you actually read that article before you posted it as a link? The whole thing is about how close it is to the Nexus 7... Wow, great sales pitch for a Hisense.



Your continued use of a Yugo analogy is an indicia of your lack of objectivity on this topic; more appropriately would be the relation between an MB and a Lexus.

The PC Mag article was delineating features and differences between the NEW Nexus 7 and the Hisense Sero 7 Pro with the Dual Core HP Slate and the Asus MemoPad HD. The only references to the original Nexus 7 were to the minimal differences in physical measurements and 9 vs 10 hour battery life. All other references were to the NEW $100 plus costly Nexus 7! One can buy 2 Sero 7 Pro's for that price!

Conclusion was: The Hisense Sero 7 Pro isn't the best small tablet, but it doesn't have to be at $130. It offers a very similar experience to the original Nexus 7, but does it one better with a microSD card slot and HDMI out so you can watch video from your tablet on your HDTV. Sure performance is on a par with last years' models, but for casual users, that's plenty of power. It's one of the least expensive small-screen tablets around and it doesn't make quite as many compromises as low-end competitors like the MeMO Pad HD 7 and Slate 7. This is the tablet to get if you're on a strict busget, but if you're looking for the best combination of price, performance, and features, the 2013 Nexus 7 is still our favorite small-screen tablet.

Finally, Hisense does update the OS and is currently updating to new JellyBean 4.3. Of course Google gets the latest upgrades to their own product but as for me, I don't necessarily need to have the latest and greatest on the bleeding edge of tech product marketing.

GenMischief


quality posts: 7 Private Messages GenMischief

So, do we think this angel/garbage devices will arrive soon enough before Christmas to wrap and hide?

-Jim

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

GenMischief wrote:So, do we think this angel/garbage devices will arrive soon enough before Christmas to wrap and hide?

-Jim

It should. As stated in the sale, it will ship in 3-5 business days. Today is the 3rd business day.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

GenMischief


quality posts: 7 Private Messages GenMischief

COOL!

Thanks!


ThunderThighs wrote:It should. As stated in the sale, it will ship in 3-5 business days. Today is the 3rd business day.



GenMischief


quality posts: 7 Private Messages GenMischief

Any device that survives toddler hurl should automatically receive a DoD rating.

ElizardbethWoots wrote:apple fanboy, much?

I love my first gen N7. My not quite 2 year old loves it too. He's been pretty rough on it (and even got carsick on it twice) and it's still working well.



williamyxl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamyxl

Have anyone of your Nexus 7 been shipped? I placed order on Dec.7 but after woot deducted money from my account, nothing ever happened. The status is always "shipping now". I know woot ships stuff in 3-8 business days, but the thing really pisses me off is: I filed 3 customer support requests, none of them has been replied. I feel extremely frustrated because this is the first time I use WOOT.

SeanFishsticks


quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeanFishsticks
williamyxl wrote:Have anyone of your Nexus 7 been shipped? I placed order on Dec.7 but after woot deducted money from my account, nothing ever happened. The status is always "shipping now". I know woot ships stuff in 3-8 business days, but the thing really pisses me off is: I filed 3 customer support requests, none of them has been replied. I feel extremely frustrated because this is the first time I use WOOT.


Just be a little more patient. I've placed many other woot orders and haven't had an issue. I placed an order for this, as well. Also, keep in mind that the 18th is technically the 8th business day so that's the latest it can ship.

daviangel


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daviangel
williamyxl wrote:Have anyone of your Nexus 7 been shipped? I placed order on Dec.7 but after woot deducted money from my account, nothing ever happened. The status is always "shipping now". I know woot ships stuff in 3-8 business days, but the thing really pisses me off is: I filed 3 customer support requests, none of them has been replied. I feel extremely frustrated because this is the first time I use WOOT.



Actually I got mine like 3 days after ordering. Live in Cali. Looks like I'm going to have to return it. Device looks like new on outside but looks like they didn't finish refurbishing the inside

jtravel


quality posts: 3 Private Messages jtravel

Worst Woot Purchase ever.
Received today and after charging for several hours it won't turn on. Screen has white lines flashing at random.
AC block has someone name written on it permanent marker.
Came in a plain cardboard box, No instructions or anything.
Just the Nexus 7,USB cord and AC block with someone name written on it permanent marker.

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jtravel wrote:Worst Woot Purchase ever.
Received today and after charging for several hours it won't turn on. Screen has white lines flashing at random.
AC block has someone name written on it permanent marker.
Came in a plain cardboard box, No instructions or anything.
Just the Nexus 7,USB cord and AC block with someone name written on it permanent marker.



Please check your email inbox associated with your Woot account, a response has been sent to you by Woot Member Services.

We also recommend that you check the spam folder of your email provider, as sometimes their responses get filtered there.

Thank you for your ongoing patience while they attended to the issue.

markfx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages markfx

so disappointing, bricked after updating the OS...hope I can get a no hassle return...
UPDATE:
well, i did 'unbrick' it, but to give this to my Dad knowing it might brick on him when the next update occurs is unsettling

neondruid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neondruid

Received mine today, won't even turn on. The power connection seems to be broken as the charger will not seat in it properly, just falls out. Light in the charger doesn't turn on, so no juice to the tablet.

neondruid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neondruid

Sent an email to support about the DOA Nexus and got a response saying they're busy and it might take a week to respond. This is a freaking Christmas present. If they take a week to respond there's no way I'll have a working device in time for the holiday. Thanks Woot, I'm sure I'll come up with something creative to tell my 10 year old brother in law. This is completely unacceptable.

jonc77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonc77

Same issue with mine. Appears to be DOA. White lines flashing across the screen when I try to turn it on...

texasbatqueen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages texasbatqueen

I received my 32 gb tablet yesterday, and it was all fine and good until it updated itself. Since then, the device won't boot past the glowing X of death. This was a Christmas present to myself...it was my first step to break free from the Apple grip. So sad.

Does anyone have any advice? I followed the steps posted here:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2668187?hl=en

Sadly, it's worked for most, but not for me. Again, it was all good until the update. I'm so frustrated. I've contacted support -- they'll respond back in a week, they said.

markfx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages markfx

begin here:
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

jonrogers


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonrogers
texasbatqueen wrote:I received my 32 gb tablet yesterday, and it was all fine and good until it updated itself. Since then, the device won't boot past the glowing X of death. This was a Christmas present to myself...it was my first step to break free from the Apple grip. So sad.

Does anyone have any advice? I followed the steps posted here:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2668187?hl=en

Sadly, it's worked for most, but not for me. Again, it was all good until the update. I'm so frustrated. I've contacted support -- they'll respond back in a week, they said.



Had the same issue. (And tried the same solution.) I've now got a lovely device that permanently shows a pretty "X".