dogsurfer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dogsurfer

Woot continues its inexplicable push of the Roku. The Roku3 appears to come closer to the features of the G-Box MX2. Similar features like Netflix & Hulu, USB, SD, Ethernet, WiFi, and remote. Roku wins one with its 1 USB3 over the MX2's 4 USB2 slots. However, instead of a few limited proprietary apps, the dual core MX2 has the latest Android, for 850 thousand apps & games on your full screen TV. With mouse & keyboard, your TV becomes a PC. With its thousands of XBMC channels including Navi-x, the limitless choices of free media are amazing, including YouTube, which Roku lacks. Video demos of XBMC and G-Box MX2 are readily available. G-Box MX2 reviews are on Amazon. Compare for yourself.

sucker4crap

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sucker4crap
dogsurfer wrote:Woot continues its inexplicable push of the Roku. The Roku3 appears to come closer to the features of the G-Box MX2. Similar features like Netflix & Hulu, USB, SD, Ethernet, WiFi, and remote. Roku wins one with its 1 USB3 over the MX2's 4 USB2 slots. However, instead of a few limited proprietary apps, the dual core MX2 has the latest Android, for 850 thousand apps & games on your full screen TV. With mouse & keyboard, your TV becomes a PC. With its thousands of XBMC channels including Navi-x, the limitless choices of free media are amazing, including YouTube, which Roku lacks. Video demos of XBMC and G-Box MX2 are readily available. G-Box MX2 reviews are on Amazon. Compare for yourself.

"Woot continues its inexplicable push of the Roku..."

It's easily "spliced" - ok explained - Woot offers products that are available to them at a price point that they can make money selling.

tivoburkee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tivoburkee
darcerin wrote:I hate to sound like a newb, but how do I know if the TVs in my house are HD, since this an HDtv only item? I looked online, but didn't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Thanks.

The tv has to have HDMI port, its the only output on the Roku 3.

sfcchase

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sfcchase
dogsurfer wrote:Woot continues its inexplicable push of the Roku. The Roku3 appears to come closer to the features of the G-Box MX2. Similar features like Netflix & Hulu, USB, SD, Ethernet, WiFi, and remote. Roku wins one with its 1 USB3 over the MX2's 4 USB2 slots. However, instead of a few limited proprietary apps, the dual core MX2 has the latest Android, for 850 thousand apps & games on your full screen TV. With mouse & keyboard, your TV becomes a PC. With its thousands of XBMC channels including Navi-x, the limitless choices of free media are amazing, including YouTube, which Roku lacks. Video demos of XBMC and G-Box MX2 are readily available. G-Box MX2 reviews are on Amazon. Compare for yourself.

Yeah, woot actually sells products people want to buy. They sell products that are user friendly. They sell products that the average person either has or wants in their home. Not some techie junk that only works in your mom's basement.

Quality Posts - 5
Times put on Probation - 2

dogsurfer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dogsurfer
sfcchase wrote:Yeah, woot actually sells products people want to buy. They sell products that are user friendly. They sell products that the average person either has or wants in their home. Not some techie junk that only works in your mom's basement.

The 1 billion Android devices sold as of September 2013 indicates the G-Box MX2 falls well within the average person's abilities. It is the same Android as a phone or tablet. Not techie. Not hard. Angry birds, Fruit Ninja, Candy Crush, all on TV. The NetFlix icon displays NetFlix. XBMC browsing for streaming media is as friendly as browsing the net, which the MX2 also does. Feature rich and abundant choices need not be intimidating. I'm more a-scared of the basement than of the MX2.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gibvel wrote:What the heck is going on Woot? Why can't I put this in my cart?

Sorry for the problems. Can you try another browser?

Then let me know the OS & browser you're using so we can research the problem. Thanks!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjruby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjruby
p3rr0 wrote:Does this model support Redbox Instant (streaming)? Thanks!

Yes

daanbc05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daanbc05

I purchased the ROKU 2 XD 2-1/2 weeks ago. Arrived last week, didn't work.Have contacted woot TWICE with e-mails. Have not heard anything. The plug that fits into the device from the power cord = Missing.

ThunderThighs

Staff

daanbc05 wrote:I purchased the ROKU 2 XD 2-1/2 weeks ago. Arrived last week, didn't work.Have contacted woot TWICE with e-mails. Have not heard anything. The plug that fits into the device from the power cord = Missing.

sorry for the problem. Most of our Rokus carry a Roku warranty. If it's missing a part, contact Roku directly. They'll have the part to send you whereas we will not.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
glenn26 wrote:So - I bit on the HD Homerun 3x tuner on tech.woot Tuesday...

Will this unit be a good client and talk directly to my (soon to be) Windoze Media Center box (that records from the HDHR3)?

Will it talk do the HDHR3 for live TV?

TIA

I found this posted on a forum:

"Here what I do in my home, WMC records live tv from the HD Homerun, Plex categorizes and transcodes it and the Roku's display it:

To take advantage of the HDHomerun:
Run Windows Media Center (Windows 7 ideally) on a computer with ample storage.

WMC will accept the HDHR as a TV tuner source, Microsoft supplies all of your program guide listings for free through WMC. Setup your scheduled recordings for whatever shows through the WMC menus/interface.

This will output multi-gigabyte .wtv files in a new Windows 7 library, probably C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV. Except they'll be named long, default filenames like Raising Hope_KATVDT_2013_02_19_20_59_00.wtv that won't work later on.

Use an automated directory watcher to fire off a renaming program. DirMon2 is what I use, there's also DVRMSToolbox. Configure one of those to watch your Recorded TV folder and when the show is finished (file is idle or not growing in size) kick off WTV-MetaRenamer that will parse the metadata, check with TVDB.com and rename the file accordingly to something like "Raising Hope - S03E18 - Arbor Daze.wtv". Plex will understand this naming convention and index it.

Install and Configure Plex Media Server to index your Recorded TV folder.

Add the Plex channel to your Roku and watch away.

None of these efforts will allow you to watch Live TV through your Roku though."

Shale

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Shale

So how's Roku's record with refurbs? The price is right but I'm more than a little skittish of buying previously defective hardware as a rule.

acraigl

quality posts: 38 Private Messages acraigl

I have a Roku3 (paid $99 for it) and it's fantastic. Love the audio-on-remote feature... just plug a set of headphones into the remote and it redirects audio as to not disturb your bedtime partner. So simple, yet a great implementation.

This is a steal at this price. Would definitely be in if I did not already have one.

Also works well with the Harmony series remotes.

hspahr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hspahr

I bought my Roku 3 about a year ago and loved it at first. The earphone jack in the remote is a godsend if your midrange hearing is shot like mine is. Found out the Roku was interfering with one of the small Comcast boxes we used on the same tv. Since the Roku doesn't have an on/off switch, we would just pull the power cord out of the back of the Roku when we wanted to watch cable. After a month or so of doing this, the Roku box died. Replaced the Roku 3 with a black friday PS3; it was $100 more than I originally paid for the Roku 3 but I have never had any problems with my first PS3 so I expect a similar experience with this one.

bbstacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbstacker
darcerin wrote:I hate to sound like a newb, but how do I know if the TVs in my house are HD, since this an HDtv only item? I looked online, but didn't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Thanks.

Look on the back of the TV. If it has a place to attach a HDMI cable you can use this product. The other ROKU units also allow connection with the 3 wire video and left right audio connection. This one does not support that older connection.

okeefecentral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages okeefecentral

I really don't want to miss this deal but I can't get one into my cart either. Woot where are you? I thought you always monitored this discussion.

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
Shale wrote:So how's Roku's record with refurbs? The price is right but I'm more than a little skittish of buying previously defective hardware as a rule.

I have two Roku 2 XS's that were refurbs. I got them maybe two years ago. They're still going strong. I had a remote go bad and Roku sent me a replacement.

When they arrive they are in small brown boxes made to fit the ROKU. They look brand new and are covered in protective sticky wrap and bagged as you'd expect new items to be. They also come with everything you need to use it right out of the box except for a HDMI cable.

At least that was my experience.

bek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bek
btwonder wrote:This is an amazing deal for the best streaming media player in the world. The USB 3.0 port and headphone jack make this thing so worthwhile.

I ditched the HTPC I built years ago for this and a 1.0 TB portable HD full of music and movies. Never looking back.

So this thing is an XBMC replacement? I was wondering about that. Does it use SMB or DLMC?

yfaber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yfaber

Woot owner Amazon carries this device brand new (and free shipping with Prime) for $88.

So it's $70 refurb (including shipping) with a 90 day warranty, or $18 more for brand new, full warranty, retail packaging and present-worthy.

Sorry Woot, this time you lose.

okeefecentral

sucker4crap wrote:I used a Mac running Chrome to order, and no problems with the cart.

I have tried using a Mac with Safari and a PC using Chrome. Still can't get it in my cart.

sakanagai

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sakanagai
Dman27 wrote:This vs Chromecast... go! Pros and Cons

You get far more utility out of the box with Roku than you do Chromecast. There are more channels on Roku compared to Chromecast supported apps, and you don't need a second device (phone, tablet, PC) to start using it. Overall, it is simpler and behaves like you'd expect from a living room video player.

It's not all peaches and keen (or so the expression around these parts seems to say) for Roku, though. Development has more or less stagnated in terms of capabilities while Chromecast is new with a number of rumored improvements coming soon such as screen mirroring (which Roku cannot do). Even though the feature is in beta, Chromecast supports tab streaming from the Chrome browser, including media; I must point out that video over tab streaming is a little iffy on weaker hardware (or was last I tried).

There is one other nice Chromecast feature that only applies if you have guests or roommates: Chromecast is account agnostic. Roku needs to link to an account for each subscription channel. Chromecast itself doesn't need a Netflix or HBO Go account, just the device that makes the initial push. That means if you are a cable-cutter, but still want to watch the latest Boardwalk Empire, your Comcastic friend can stop by, connect to your wireless network, and put it up on your TV for you.

If you had to pick one, it comes down to how much you want to do on day one. There are few Chromecast apps while Roku has a number of channels that are already available (like Amazon Instant Video and MLS Live). If you have patience or prefer the flexibility of Chromecast, Google's dongle may be a better fit.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 12 Private Messages billthegunowner
sfcchase wrote:Comparing chromecast to a roku 3 is like comparing a 1977 Ford Pinto to a 2013 Tesla.

Roku is better than chromecast in every regard expect a dedicated youtube app.

This is an incredible deal.

Hey! Are you mocking my '77 Pinto?

Bill

rpasieka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rpasieka

Can I keep basic cable and use this this when I want for movies?

lifecarechiro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lifecarechiro

I can't get one in my cart either!!! This is frustrating!!!! I REALLY wanna pull the trigger on this one and now I can't. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! WOOT HELP!!!

mfaughn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mfaughn

@dogsurfer Thanks for mentioning the G-Box, it looks like just what I might want. I've got a couple of Roku 2 XS and a ChromePlug. They both have their places and I like them both but the MX2 will fill some gaps that I am missing. It has s/pdif out!! So I get a $100 HTPC box that can play my lossless audio and I can send the digital signal to an outboard DAC and get super quality sound. Awesome!!

stoner72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stoner72
billthegunowner wrote:Hey! Are you mocking my '77 Pinto?

I don't think he is. I think he's saying both the pinto and tesla are fiery death traps.

Linuxbaby03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Linuxbaby03

Forgive me if someone already asked this, but is this the one that is compatible with slingbox?
http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000582.html says
"4200X/4200EU Roku 3" but not XB, I'm hoping the B is just a subset of the X and it can use slingbox?
And @ericlala: Depending on where you live there is a service called Aereo that streams live broadcast TV over the greater interwebs. There are restrictions on viewing location and what cities participate, but it's how I get my NFL fix @ the boyfriend's house on the weekends. (Go Pats!)

Edit: 1. Aereo is currently being sued by MLB and NFL for retransmission rights. And 2. it's $8 a month

tagbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tagbiker

Does this allow you to play .iso, .avi files from an attached storage device? One reason I went with wdtv live was the ability to play those files. I converted my dvd/blu ray library to iso files. much smaller footprint in the living room on a 1.5tb drive. it gets glitchy every once in a while, I could make a change. i hear great things about roku.

ebtech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ebtech

I have tried IE, Chrome & Firefox on a Win7 desktop as well as Safari and Chrome on a MacBook Pro and Safari on an iPad - none of them are able to add to cart.

IGetUp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IGetUp

I own three of these, including the new Roku 3, which I purchased from the Roku site on black friday for only $79 and free shipping. This reconditioned one is only $9 less than the brand new one I got. But it's still a decent deal. The Roku 3 is quite a bit faster than the previous models. I like it quite a lot. Very smooth, updated interface, loads of channels and a version of an Angry Birds game. And the ear buds plugging into the remote is very handy. It shuts off the source audio when plugged in. Pretty cool. I highly recommend this model.

blaculadave

quality posts: 17 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

mdnorman wrote:So... My understanding is that I wouldn't need this thing if I already had or planned to obtain XBox One. But if I don't have Xbox One (or didn't plan to get it) this would be a good media streaming device to have for TV. Is that about right?

Yes, and no. To use the streaming services on the XBone, you would also need to pay for a subscription to XBOX Live. So you'd basically be paying two subscription fees...one to the streaming service (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, etc), and one to Microsoft.

With the Roku, you don't have a second subscription fee. You just log-in with your existing streaming account info, and you're watching your stuff.

lifecarechiro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lifecarechiro

Finally managed to get one ordered using my iPhone. Thanks Mr. Jobs!!!

NoThru22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoThru22

Warning: I got a different remote than the one advertised/pictured with my Roku 2 XD and Woot has taken days to even begin to get back to me. Buyer beware.

okeefecentral

yfaber wrote:Woot owner Amazon carries this device brand new (and free shipping with Prime) for $88.

So it's $70 refurb (including shipping) with a 90 day warranty, or $18 more for brand new, full warranty, retail packaging and present-worthy.

Warranty on Amazon is still only 90 days.

Jeep274

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jeep274

Holy Crap on a Cracker! Come on woot! i want to buy your products but your buttons still aren't working. Firefox on Win 7.

bgbird68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgbird68

I bought a refurb Roku HD from Woot 2 years ago. Worked great right out of the box. I'm in on this. After 2 years of pretty heavy use it's time for an upgrade. I'm kind of bummed because I paid full price for the 3 earlier this year.

I would have no worried about buying a refurb.

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus
admrgd wrote:Really? Still no DLNA or NAS support in Roku 3! I will pass on this one.

It does have a Plex client that allows you to watch your own media. Of course you do have to install Plex server on your local machine, but they have servers for Mac, PC, Linux, Various Nases. Pretty amazing add-on. Client for Roku works pretty well. I'm in for 1. I already have an older one, an Appletv-1 running PlexBMC, Android webbcam for Plex and Skipe on various tvs. I like this for the bedroom cause it has the headphone jack in the remote. Wife complains at night when the tv is too loud and she is trying to sleep.

mikemtn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikemtn

What does this do that my Sony smart TV with all it's apps doesn't do?

mboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mboss
yfaber wrote:Woot owner Amazon carries this device brand new (and free shipping with Prime) for $88.

The warranty offered on the new Roku 3 is the same 90 day that is offered on this one. So you are paying $18 for packaging that will be discarded after 10 minutes. If it's for a present I guess I can see it but $18 is still $18.....or $36 if you buy two!

okeefecentral

lifecarechiro wrote:Finally managed to get one ordered using my iPhone. Thanks Mr. Jobs!!!

Thanks for the tip. I got through on my iPhone too after trying two different computers and two different browsers. Go figure.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry for the problems ordering. I've turned in a trouble ticket.

If you could let me know the

Device
OS
Browser
Exactly what's happening (can't click "I want one"; can't click "Add to Cart"; can't click "Place Your Order," etc)

That would help us pin down the problem.