skiman10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiman10
rpasieka wrote:Can I keep basic cable and use this this when I want for movies?

Yes- just switch inputs.

teeps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teeps
jim20j wrote:Haven't purchased a refurb from woot! before, is there any way to tell if this comes with original packaging?

I purchasede a refurb Roku original flavor some years ago, and it came in a Roku box if I recall correctly. This only thing is, the refurb was totally busted, so I had to spend an hour with tech support letting them know I'm well versed with how the internet works. Eventually, I sent back the item I ordered from woot, and perhaps the reason I have a box is maybe the replacement from Roku came with it. I am certain that for a different purchase, a refurb TV, we did receive the manufacturers packaging.

Jeep274

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jeep274
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems ordering. I've turned in a trouble ticket.

If you could let me know the

Device
OS
Browser
Exactly what's happening (can't click "I want one"; can't click "Add to Cart"; can't click "Place Your Order," etc)

That would help us pin down the problem.

HP Envy Desktop
Windows 8
Firefox 26.0

Can't use the "Add to Cart" button.

[MOD: THANK YOU!]

lionel47

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lionel47
admrgd wrote:Really? Still no DLNA or NAS support in Roku 3! I will pass on this one.

Exactly! It's not that hard to do and they still do not include it. I would love to get one of these but what am I supposed to do with a server full of home movies that I stream to a bunch of devices? Disappointed. Guess I am stuck with my Sony Google TV box for a while.

pcguru19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcguru19
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems ordering. I've turned in a trouble ticket.

Device
OS
Browser
Exactly what's happening (can't click "I want one"; can't click "Add to Cart"; can't click "Place Your Order," etc)

wouldn't it just be easier to ask what you've changed in the code to add something to the cart and roll it back considering it worked before today than put your customers through the paces to help find issues or god forbid test a change on multiple browsers?

Windows 8
Firefox v 26 & Alpha Version
Chrome v 31, 32, & 33
IE 11

When you click add to cart, nothing happens.

dfwarden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfwarden

Mac OS 10.9 on Safari 7.0

Error console says unexpected EOF at line 6076 of jquery-modernizr.9eb6a28a828f.js (http://d3rqdbvvokrlbl.cloudfront.net/lib/scripts/shared/jquery-modernizr.9eb6a28a828f.js) which looks like it borks the instantiation of jQuery because there are 2 additional errors in the console that say it couldn't find variable jQuery.

Cleared my cache to make sure I was getting the most recent version, not sure how I ended up with this version of jquery-modernizr but there's definitely something wrong with it.

[MOD: THANK YOU! Great info. Dev thanks you.]

gadfly666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadfly666
jim20j wrote:Haven't purchased a refurb from woot! before, is there any way to tell if this comes with original packaging?

I bought 3 refurb Philips LED TVs from Woot a few weeks ago. 2 out of 3 arrived damaged. One had a crack on upper right corner that was not too noticeable. But the other one had a piece broken off the corner, and you can see it easily.

I would have bought 3 of these Rokus if not for the recent TV experience. Emails to Woot support is not very responsive at all. I bought tons of stuff from Woot before, and experiences were much better before Amazon took over.

mrblahface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrblahface

I can't add to cart either

ericlala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericlala

Can I use a hdmi to dvi adapter to input the roku to my computer monitor?

birdlover51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdlover51

Add to cart button is not working for me either. Tried using Firefox and then just installed Chrome to try. Doesn't work on Chrome. Sounds like a Woot problem, not a browser issue. Submitted a support ticket, but if it takes 24 hours to resolve, items may be sold out. Is Healthcare.gov now running the technical side of Woot?

silverphonics

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silverphonics

I'd consider buying this if Woot would have
1. Sent me the 3 sleds I purchased several days ago.
2. If the would respond to my now two emails, since they never came, but the monkey lights I ordered did from the same day
3. Not have given me anxiety that they no longer have the sleds and my nieces and nephews wont have a Christmas gift from me.

51 Woot purchases and this is my first issue, but it's the holidays. I figured I'd use this forum since support hasn't written back.

xfred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xfred
ericlala wrote:Can I use a hdmi to dvi adapter to input the roku to my computer monitor?

Yes....except you will not get any audio. Considering that this has HDMI only and no analog/digital audio output (besides HDMI).

For anyone using this and plex....google "rarflix". It's a plex replacement channel that includes TRAILER SUPPORT. I don't know how plex could leave this missing. I have so many movies and always look through them and go "What's that?"

ebtech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ebtech

Device
OS
Browser

ThinkPad T430
Win7 Enterprise
IE 9/Firefox 25/Chrome 31
Can't click Add To Cart (it does nothing)

MacBook Pro
OSX 10.8.5
Safari 6.1
Can't click Add to Cart (it does nothing)

iPad
iOS7.0.4
Safari
Can't click Add to Cart (it does nothing)

ericlala

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericlala
xfred wrote:Yes....except you will not get any audio. Considering that this has HDMI only and no analog/digital audio output (besides HDMI).

what if i use dvi in conjunction with the remote audio output and plug that into my speakers? this is of course just a temporary solution if it works

yfaber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yfaber
mboss wrote:The warranty offered on the new Roku 3 is the same 90 day that is offered on this one. So you are paying $18 for packaging that will be discarded after 10 minutes. If it's for a present I guess I can see it but $18 is still $18.....or $36 if you buy two!

Fair point.

GressFamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GressFamily
Dman27 wrote:Can you play stuff from a browser on the Roku 3, like you can Chromecast? ... I am between the two for an XMAS present ... I just have a feeling chromecast will be better in the long run?

I have the Chromecast and Roku. Roku is much better. Chromecast works intermittently and service is spotty. Roku is rock solid viewing. Chromecast is very unreliable and video qualty id usually poor.

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27
sakanagai wrote:You get far more utility out of the box with Roku than you do Chromecast. There are more channels on Roku compared to Chromecast supported apps, and you don't need a second device (phone, tablet, PC) to start using it. Overall, it is simpler and behaves like you'd expect from a living room video player.

It's not all peaches and keen (or so the expression around these parts seems to say) for Roku, though. Development has more or less stagnated in terms of capabilities while Chromecast is new with a number of rumored improvements coming soon such as screen mirroring (which Roku cannot do). Even though the feature is in beta, Chromecast supports tab streaming from the Chrome browser, including media; I must point out that video over tab streaming is a little iffy on weaker hardware (or was last I tried).

There is one other nice Chromecast feature that only applies if you have guests or roommates: Chromecast is account agnostic. Roku needs to link to an account for each subscription channel. Chromecast itself doesn't need a Netflix or HBO Go account, just the device that makes the initial push. That means if you are a cable-cutter, but still want to watch the latest Boardwalk Empire, your Comcastic friend can stop by, connect to your wireless network, and put it up on your TV for you.

If you had to pick one, it comes down to how much you want to do on day one. There are few Chromecast apps while Roku has a number of channels that are already available (like Amazon Instant Video and MLS Live). If you have patience or prefer the flexibility of Chromecast, Google's dongle may be a better fit.

Thank you for the great breakdown! It's tempting on both sides the screen mirroring is a VERY nice feature and google chomecast sdk is going to be released real soon apparently ... roku does have everything already though hmmmm

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

hhorders

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hhorders

Couple of things:

If I have a Vimeo wifi TV, why do I need this?

And since my wifi TV won't get You tube, will this device allow me to play youtube on my tv?

revamp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revamp

Unable to "add to cart" (Screen is unresponsive when clicking on yellow "add to cart" button).

Win 7
IE10/FF25.0.1/Chrome31.0.1650.63m

I *was* able to "add to cart" and complete purchase using my HTC One phone and Chrome.

reznik987

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reznik987
Dman27 wrote:Every refurb I have gotten came in a plain box.... I think I saw a picture of the Roku 2 refurb on Newegg a few weeks ago and it showed a plain box :/ ... feel weird giving an XMAS gift as a refurb? or is it okay?

I got a refurbed Roku that came in factory packaging.

jadacrimson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadacrimson

I can't add to my cart.
PC
Chrome

wootwootnovice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwootnovice

I got a new Roku3 using a 20perc discount from Roku about two weeks ago. Up till then I enjoyed simplicity of earliest version N1000 that had worked flawlessly. Those of you who recall this oldboy, it had all ports now offered only on high end Rokus, including ethernet which now it seems Roku demands extra for. So far, I like this Roku3, though had troubles adapting to it. To get this set up, I had to go back and forth a half dozen times from my computer at other end of house to tv with Roku box in living room because of requirement to log onto various accounts. I did not know installing Roku3 would cancel my old accounts instantly to get it set up. It canceled my accounts with Tunein, SomaFM, Pandora, etc. And deleted all favs in each one. As well as in Youtube with dozens of subscriptions and favorites - yes I had a nonRoku channel found online that installed on my old N1000 and worked fine so I could surf Youtube and watch videos. Btw, prior to selling my old N1000 on craigslist, I replugged it and it showed all my old channels and favs - which may indicate these links and data somehow attach to box itself? Anyway I started setting up Roku-allowed channels again, going online for each one - a slow process - to enter new passcodes shown on tv screen.

REMOTE control feels slender and slippery with buttons squeezed together on top - great for thin fingers. Takes getting used to, as slightest finger movement can return to main menu. On right side Volume controls for earphone that plugs into left side. I like that it will use my old headphone besides new one supplied in box.

USB PORT. Good luck finding how to use that USB port. Hint, search inside Channels List. Hint, you have to create a new channel to use it. Look under Movie and Photo to find icon for adding usb drive support.

PASSWORDS needed. If you have a password to unlock channels, you need to unlock usb and other channels. I attached a 1TB external hard drive to my Roku3 and it took a long time scanning for playable material. Finally, it presented a horizontal lineup of folders across screen. Clicking a folder showed readable filenames though long ones dropped off. Playback generally okay except photos have a large black frame, making image about 50 percent of viewable tv screen. Options for playback very few. For slideshow feature, I could hardly tell difference between Slow and Medium play, as both flicked through my photos too fast to enjoy them.

whittycm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whittycm

I can't add to my cart either
PC - Chrome

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27
reznik987 wrote:I got a refurbed Roku that came in factory packaging.

from woot? ... can any mod confirm this?

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Refurbs usually come in plain brown boxes, not retail packaging. These Rokus will be in brown boxes.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

NoThru22 wrote:Warning: I got a different remote than the one advertised/pictured with my Roku 2 XD and Woot has taken days to even begin to get back to me. Buyer beware.

Your Roku came with a Roku warranty. It would be faster to contact them directly for a replacement. We do not carry the parts and can only offer a refund.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

silverphonics wrote:I'd consider buying this if Woot would have
1. Sent me the 3 sleds I purchased several days ago.
2. If the would respond to my now two emails, since they never came, but the monkey lights I ordered did from the same day
3. Not have given me anxiety that they no longer have the sleds and my nieces and nephews wont have a Christmas gift from me.

51 Woot purchases and this is my first issue, but it's the holidays. I figured I'd use this forum since support hasn't written back.

The sleds are shipping directly from the vendor and will ship in 3-5 days as was stated on the sale. Today is the 4th business day since you ordered so they should be shipping soon. As soon as we get the tracking file, we'll upload it and that will spit the tracking email out to you.

Chickaboo1962

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Chickaboo1962
yfaber wrote:Woot owner Amazon carries this device brand new (and free shipping with Prime) for $88.

So it's $70 refurb (including shipping) with a 90 day warranty, or $18 more for brand new, full warranty, retail packaging and present-worthy.

Sorry Woot, this time you lose.

I, too, bought the $88 version from Amazon with my Prime membership. I wanted it fast and got it the next day for $3 shipping. I LOVE this Roku! I love that you can watch all the Amazon Prime videos (most are free with Prime). I love the Netflix interface, much better than the older Roku in my bedroom. It has ESPN 3 which I can't get through Direct TV. I love the headphone jack on the remote with on-screen volume control. No more stringing that silly cord from the tv to the couch. For a Xmas gift, I'd go with the retail one with the longer warranty and pretty packaging. Since you won't be around if the refurb goes Christmas ornaments up, it just seems like the right thing to do. Sorry Woot! Still love ya though! Woot! Woot!

♫♫♫♫♫ Woot♪a♪licious ♫♫♫♫♫

ThunderThighs

Staff

We are aware that some of you are experiencing ordering problems and we apologize for this. We will let you know as soon as it's fixed.

It sounds like people are able to order on mobile devices so you might try that if you can.

Shale

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Shale
admrgd wrote:Really? Still no DLNA or NAS support in Roku 3! I will pass on this one.

Holy crap, seriously? I'm glad I didn't jump on this immediately; I just assumed it could do DLNA streaming along with the more complex stuff. Plex is a poor, poor substitute for a straight-up media server. Based on that alone, I'd say anybody who's looking to stream local video should be looking at something else.

soonerdude55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soonerdude55
sparksnpa wrote:Scored one!

How did you accomplish this? I've been trying for half an hour with no luck.

rampo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampo

I was very pleased to see that there is now a Roku Slingplayer channel. It requires you to first start a video stream from the iPhone or Android SlingPlayer mobile app & then click a button within the the app to send the signal to the Roku-connected TV. Time to put those refurbed Woot Slingplayer SOLOs to work!

nimblfingrs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimblfingrs
Jeep274 wrote:HP Envy Desktop
Windows 8
Firefox 26.0

Can't use the "Add to Cart" button.

Windows 7
HP G72
Google Chrome Browser
**I think a different complaint Mentioned IE, Mozilla, AND Chrome**
Cant ADD TO CART

bgbird68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgbird68

Got one on my 1st try using chrome on a windows 7 laptop

hendersrh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hendersrh
IGetUp wrote:I own three of these, including the new Roku 3, which I purchased from the Roku site on black friday for only $79 and free shipping. This reconditioned one is only $9 less than the brand new one I got. But it's still a decent deal. The Roku 3 is quite a bit faster than the previous models. I like it quite a lot. Very smooth, updated interface, loads of channels and a version of an Angry Birds game. And the ear buds plugging into the remote is very handy. It shuts off the source audio when plugged in. Pretty cool. I highly recommend this model.

Yes, but some folks who need extra volume without shutting off audio access by the rest of the family can ALSO do this... AFTER plugging your headphones into the remote, go to the volume buttons on the side of the remote and do the following... up, up, down, down, up, up, up, down, down, down. Now you can hear thru your headphones WITHOUT killing the tv volume. sweet, huh?

Dummy1212

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dummy1212
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems. Can you try another browser?

Then let me know the OS & browser you're using so we can research the problem. Thanks!

HP Pavilion Laptop.
Windows Vista
Both IE9.0 and Chrome v31.0.

Can not click "Add to Cart", and no number showing on my cart in upper right corner.

menaparker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages menaparker

This is only a partially helpful post, but I have an old school Roku that I bought here in July 2011 (link below) for $39.99. I thought maybe I should upgrade to the Roku3 since I have enjoyed it so much. I bought it from Roku, tried it for a week and promptly returned it. It did nothing for me. My old one works just fine and the few channels I can't get aren't that much better. My old one still works as perfectly as the day I received it.

SO...if you don't have a Roku and want one, go for it, but don't bother upgrading if you already have one. The PBS Kids and stuff like that that you can only get with the new ones are crappy. I can watch the same shows on Netflix.

http://www.woot.com/offers/roku-hd-player

kwibble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwibble

CAN'T put anything in my shopping CART...is anyone else having problems?

scyber

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scyber
Shale wrote:Holy crap, seriously? I'm glad I didn't jump on this immediately; I just assumed it could do DLNA streaming along with the more complex stuff. Plex is a poor, poor substitute for a straight-up media server. Based on that alone, I'd say anybody who's looking to stream local video should be looking at something else.

Chaneru (http://www.chaneru.com/) is in the Roku channel store and supports discovering and browsing DLNA servers. Playback is still dependent on the file types, but if all of your media is in a Roku friendly format then it shouldn't be a problem.

lionel47

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lionel47
scyber wrote:Chaneru (http://www.chaneru.com/) is in the Roku channel store and supports discovering and browsing DLNA servers. Playback is still dependent on the file types, but if all of your media is in a Roku friendly format then it shouldn't be a problem.

Not good enough. I have a standalone file server appliance that I cannot install any software on except for firmware updates. It is DLNA-compliant so it can be discovered easily. Chaneru needs you to install its server software on your PC or Mac. It's a no go for me.