philiph62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philiph62
ChicagoJack wrote:With the revolving blades, it should make short work of removing the gravel along with the snow

As long as you don't direct it toward your neighbors windows the gravel shouldn't be a problem to move all over the yard!

ithinkblue

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ithinkblue

I had a similar Toro model, used it for about 5 years. I live in North Dakota and that little snow blower ROCKED! It handled about 90% of the snow. A few years ago after a previous record breaking year of snow I broke down and bought a "real" snowblower. Sold my Toro for what I paid for it. These do not handle wet wet heavy snow nor will they clear the chunks the snow plow leaves at the end of the driveway. The cord was a pain but I learned to deal with it. That record breaking winter It froze up on me twice. Had to bring it inside and let it thaw overnight. Also, these are great if you don't have a lot of strength, they are super easy to maneuver, pick up, etc. They don't take a lot of room to store during the off season.

philiph62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philiph62
philiph62 wrote:As long as you don't direct it toward your neighbors windows the gravel shouldn't be a problem to move all over the yard!

ali1331

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ali1331

What are the chances of getting this in time for Christmas? I live in MA. I see 3-8 business days, so it looks like I'm right on the border.
Thanks so much!

wallyennis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wallyennis

Does anyone know if there is an internal belt drive? And if so, is it a plain ordinary belt or something ribbed?
I currently have a Toro machine similar to this. Its weak point is the belt -- when it jams (ice for example) the belt is the weak point. Gone through several belts. Not just me -- the local Toro repair shop keeps the belt in a bin right near the counter because he sells so many of them.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

About 20 years ago I read about the inventor of the "Snauger" and how he sold it to some hardware store chain.

I bought one before the chain totally messed up the marketing and it was never seen again.

Basically a curved snow shovel with a rolling auger that moves the snow to one side. It's great and requires no lifting of snow.

Any more snow than that and I hire the local guy with a Jeep and plow, which costs me about $200 per winter and supports the local rural worker.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

meeska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meeska

Shipping and customer support are continual problems at WOOT. They'll take your money, promise fast shipping but not deliver. I'm still waiting for a shipment and it's been over 3 weeks.
Customer Support is terrible.

stanchris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanchris
dviglino wrote:Of course if you don't have the heavy duty 100-150ft extension cord they recommend, that's gonna set you back some dinero...

That's tomorrows Woot....

nankarl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nankarl

Bought one like this last year and it arrived two days before a late March storm. Works like a pro when you make sure you configure the cord to stay attached to the extension cord. We had at least five or six inches in the first snow and no complaints. It is much better than a snow shovel as you never have to lift and haul a shovel full of snow.

If you don't already have one and you live in a snow zone, what on earth are you waiting for? I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo
xrayangiodoc wrote:Specifications say:

Clearing Height: 10 feet !!!!

I think they probably mean 10 INCHES!

I'll keep my dual stage snow thrower here in the Buffalo, NY area!

This is a dual stage blower. They mean if your driveway is hemmed in by a 10 foot high fence, a wee tiny bit of the snow being thrown will make it to the other side of the fence.

I live in South Eastern Lower Michigan, and with climate change, we now have blue birds year round. We also can go two years in a row without needing a snow blower. This year we need one. Our wonderful, very powerful gas snow blower won't start. Electric tools are nice because they don't need maintenance when they aren't being used.

john92024

quality posts: 1 Private Messages john92024
meeska wrote:Shipping and customer support are continual problems at WOOT. They'll take your money, promise fast shipping but not deliver. I'm still waiting for a shipment and it's been over 3 weeks.

You got that right. I don't know what happened to Woot! but customer service has been eliminated. I also bought something over two weeks ago and it hasn't shipped yet.

So if you need a snow blower right now, good luck, this one might get there in time for next season!

Funny...I had seen others complain about the current state of CS at woot! but I had never had a problem. Now I know what they were talking about.

Hobo77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hobo77

I have a similar unit purchased from Sears. My driveway has a size able incline and obstacles along the sides that require shovels of snow to be lifted and tossed. That is a real pain. It took me one or two uses to learn where to t lay the cord so that I didn't have to worry about it. It took me one use to figure out it was much faster and easier than shoveling. Max depth of snow to date has been about 6 inches. One very wet snow required that I clear the chute a couple if times but still cleared the drive in under 15 minutes vs the 60 or so required with the shovel. It also shoots the snow high and far enough that it clears even the center of the drive so no moving the same snow multiple times. Does clear the plow residue at the end of the drive although it sometimes requires that I skim it in layers. Still quick and easy. If they are predicting a foot or so of snow I just run out sometime in the middle of the snowfall and spend 10 mins clearing the drive and then do it again at the end. You could probably get it to function on packed gravel if you don't attempt to clear every last bit of snow but not sure I'd recommend it. You will probably find it trying to dig in too far which would be aggravating. Electrical cord cost wasn't an issue as already had them for the other electrical tools I use around the property.

znkwsk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages znkwsk

Is this corded or cordless?

And why would anyone living in Hawaii need a "snow" blower?

znkwsk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages znkwsk
znkwsk wrote:Is this corded or cordless?

And why would anyone living in Hawaii need a "snow" blower?

OK, It's corded. And can't I get one in Alaska?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

john92024 wrote:You got that right. I don't know what happened to Woot! but customer service has been eliminated. I also bought something over two weeks ago and it hasn't shipped yet.

So if you need a snow blower right now, good luck, this one might get there in time for next season!

Funny...I had seen others complain about the current state of CS at woot! but I had never had a problem. Now I know what they were talking about.

meeska wrote:Shipping and customer support are continual problems at WOOT. They'll take your money, promise fast shipping but not deliver. I'm still waiting for a shipment and it's been over 3 weeks.

Please check your email inbox associated with your Woot account, a response has been sent to you by Woot Member Services.

Thank you for your ongoing patience while they attended to the issue.

ali1331

ROGETRAY wrote:Please check your email inbox associated with your Woot account, a response has been sent to you by Woot Member Services.

Thank you for your ongoing patience while they attended to the issue.

Would it be possible to give me a likelihood on receiving it by Christmas? I'd pay for expedited but it's not an option.
Thanks!

mjburns9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjburns9

Well, I guess we can really tell Woot is based in Texas. The single most important specification on a snow thrower is missing on this one, and that is the stage count. This is a single stage snow thrower (as opposed to a double stage), which means it can only be used on hard pavement (concrete or asphalt). If you have a gravel driveway or walkway, you have to use a double stage snow thrower.

mjburns9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjburns9
hamjudo wrote:This is a dual stage blower. They mean if your driveway is hemmed in by a 10 foot high fence, a wee tiny bit of the snow being thrown will make it to the other side of the fence.

I live in South Eastern Lower Michigan, and with climate change, we now have blue birds year round. We also can go two years in a row without needing a snow blower. This year we need one. Our wonderful, very powerful gas snow blower won't start. Electric tools are nice because they don't need maintenance when they aren't being used.

It's a single stage. Electric snow throwers are all single stage, which is probably the excuse for leaving it off the specs.

mgeorg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgeorg
Joeldude wrote:Ya know that DOES look a lot like that Maztang unit the previous poster listed.... and the reviews are not good. Hmmmmmm......

edit... checked out Amazone reviews and many rate it 4 stars out of 5... not bad! You have to determine what or where your primary use for this is.

I got the Maztang version when it was on Woot a couple weeks ago and used it for the first time today. I live in Western PA near Pittsburgh and while there are pros and cons, the pros outweighed the cons and I don't regret my purchase.

I do have a gravel driveway, flat down where the garage doors are and also a circular section that is sloped. I started on the sloped circular section, took a little bit to work out a cord management strategy but once it did it worked fine. I found it easier to work in small sections so I didn't have to deal with the slope as much. I would have preferred to have worked across the width of the driveway rather than lengthwise but I have obstacles which prevent me from throwing the snow that way.

The flat part was a cinch.

As a homeowner, I already own several outdoor extension cords.

Pros: It's not a shovel and works as advertised.

Cons: You really do have to keep track of the cord.

Those little tiny wheels in the back.

mgeorg

wallyennis wrote:Does anyone know if there is an internal belt drive? And if so, is it a plain ordinary belt or something ribbed?
I currently have a Toro machine similar to this. Its weak point is the belt -- when it jams (ice for example) the belt is the weak point. Gone through several belts. Not just me -- the local Toro repair shop keeps the belt in a bin right near the counter because he sells so many of them.

My Maztang version is belt drive. I haven't seen the actual belt though.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ali1331 wrote:Would it be possible to give me a likelihood on receiving it by Christmas? I'd pay for expedited but it's not an option.
Thanks!

In Scotty's voice from "Star Trek":

"I'm just a Moderator Jim!! I don't have the powerrrrrrrr!!!"

According to today's sale, today's offer should ship and arrive on time:

akafll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akafll
radi0j0hn wrote:About 20 years ago I read about the inventor of the "Snauger" and how he sold it to some hardware store chain.

I bought one before the chain totally messed up the marketing and it was never seen again.

Basically a curved snow shovel with a rolling auger that moves the snow to one side. It's great and requires no lifting of snow.

...Hmmmm, I "think" you might be talking about this gizmo, or something similar:

You still need the strength to "push" the snow and if your driveway is wide, you are doing 2x the work... imo.

akafll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akafll
wallyennis wrote:Does anyone know if there is an internal belt drive? And if so, is it a plain ordinary belt or something ribbed?

... According to page 7&18 of the manual (found here:WG650) the Worx has a belt drive.

FYI: Page 18 also explains how to replace the belt:

5. REPLACING THE BELT
NOTE: Determine the left and right hand sides of the snow thrower by standing behind the unit in the normal operating position.

1) Remove the screws from the left panel of the snow thrower.

2) Lift the belt tension and roll the large belt off the big pulley

3) Replace the large belt by following instructions in reverse order.

(See Fig. Z4). A=Big pulley; B=Belt tension; C=Large belt

I hope that helps...

PenDancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PenDancer

I bought this Worx Snowblower last winter, and I love it!! As an East Coast woman in her 60's with 200 feet of sidewalk to shovel and 2 cars to dig out, this makes life easy. Throws light snow further than slush and have to be careful not dig in too deep over gravel & mulch - take 2 passes over deep snow. I use US Wire & Cable 100' Extreme outdoor extension cord: http://www.uswireandcable.com/cord_sets_outdoor.html
stays soft & flexible below zero and lying in the snow.

ali1331

ROGETRAY wrote:In Scotty's voice from "Star Trek":

"I'm just a Moderator Jim!! I don't have the powerrrrrrrr!!!"

According to today's sale, today's offer should ship and arrive on time:

Thanks so much, I didn't open that page, so I totally missed that tag! Keeping my fingers crossed.

labnat53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages labnat53

I can't wait to receive this ! I have a workx mower, workx trimmer with lithium battery , and a workx blower/mulcher...they all perform wonderfully...and no gas to buy ! Awesome deal here on this snowblower !

srcpt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srcpt

I also live in northeast Ohio. I love my (Toro) electric snow thrower for my 80 foot concrete driveway. I only use it when snow is deeper than about four inches up to twelve or so inches. Otherwise I use a shovel. Either has a much lower carbon footprint than my previous two cycle snow thrower (also a Toro). I don't find the cord to be any problem, and of course it gets used for many other tools all year long.

dcspo wrote:I live in northern Ohio and I wouldn't count on this thing purely because it runs on electricity and not gas. I wouldn't trade my 26" plow-like shovel for this 18" snow blower anyday.

That being said...

If I was on a tight budget and couldn't physically shovel due to health problems I would consider it and just hope it was strong enough to get through some of the stuff we get.

Edit: To the person who posted the video... they are using it on a flat surface with light fluffy snow it seems...ideal conditions for a blower to work well. My $25 shovel and I could do that job in probably less than half the time it takes the blower due to the blower width and precautions and restrictions you have with using a cord....

Be careful guys. Good luck this winter!

srcpt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srcpt

Yes, but can't the cord be used all year round for any corded electric device! I do recommend a cord made specifically for cold weather.

stanchris wrote:That's tomorrows Woot....

isdrms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isdrms

Why did the snow blower go away? I don't see a woot off.

mgeorg

isdrms wrote:Why did the snow blower go away? I don't see a woot off.

Maybe the snow blower sold out and they added a different item. If you want it go back to the first page of discussions and check out the one on Newegg, it's basically the same thing.

ohpoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohpoo
ali1331 wrote:What are the chances of getting this in time for Christmas? I live in MA. I see 3-8 business days, so it looks like I'm right on the border.
Thanks so much!

isdrms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isdrms
mgeorg wrote:Maybe the snow blower sold out and they added a different item. If you want it go back to the first page of discussions and check out the one on Newegg, it's basically the same thing.

Sold Out on New egg

KatePineo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KatePineo

FWIW- I had a poor reaction to the lack of customer service, too. The snowblower arrived with a severe crack in its body, which widened any time I put downward pressure on the handle. I reported the problem immediately upon receiving the item on 12/21, and was issued a return shipping label on 1/13. I did get the auto-responder asking for patience during the holidays... but what good is that when you only offer a 21-day return window? Better late than never, I guess!