WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! It's no secret that modern music was built on a structure that began in places of worship. So it should also be no surprise that the concept of Heaven found a home in pop, rock, blues, dance, jazz, classical and more. Today Scott's putting together an angelic mix to celebrate the best part of the land beyond… Heaven!

Johnny Mathis - Heavenly

Make fun all you want, angry young punks. Johnny Mathis has a smooth voice and a great backing orchestra. I'd say there's a good chance that a whole generation was only born because Mom and Dad put on one of his records nine months before. But try not to focus on that as you listen.

We stand on the edge of Heaven! Come on inside and let us take you further!

Deon Estus - Heaven Help Me

Deon Estus is mostly known as the bass player for Wham! He had this respectable hit in the late 1980s, but it didn't really change the world or anything. Even still, remembering this exists might get you a point in bar trivia one night. And isn't that really what life is all about?

Talking Heads - Heaven

Heaven is a place where nothing changes, sure, but sometimes isn't that what you want? That last night out with your high school buddies, that first kiss with the person you love, that day you wake up early and see the sunrise at the beach, those are the moments you could happily be trapped inside for eternity.

Kenny Loggins - I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man)

As far as I can tell, Kenny Loggins, convicted of having too good a beard, breaks out of jail to meet his girlfriend, who still lives with her parents, and then enlists a huge nerd to convince all the rival gangs in L.A. to attack the police so they can escape together. Pretty sure that's a plan that would never come together without divine intervention.

The Cure - Just Like Heaven

Even people who don't enjoy The Cure enjoy this strangely-happy goth-ish hit. It's just so sweet! Proof that Heaven is for everybody. Even those in mesh and lace.

Throw some of your heavenly favorites into the comments and we can all party in the clouds. And let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use. See you next week.

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme

One of the first songs I learned how to play on guitar

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Monty Python - "Christmas In Heaven" (from "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life")
WARNING - NOT G rated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZYIyySxPE

SCOTT EDIT: Larry, don't inline images of topless women in our forums, please

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

If you wanna get to heaven, you gotta raise a little hell!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

two from the 80s

Belinda Carlisle "Heaven is a Place on Earth"

Bryan Adams "Heaven"

wilsonmt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wilsonmt

Warrant - Heaven

LarryLars

It has been said this place is Heaven:

!

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Bob Dylan must have copyright issues with the original because I can't find it on YouTube anywhere - so here's a concert version with Tom Petty.

miken927

wilsonmt wrote:Warrant - Heaven

Oh man, serious high school dance flashbacks!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

Cheap Trick, Heaven Tonight

Sure, it's really about quaaludes or something, but what the hell,right?

nosferat67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nosferat67

Heaven by the P-Furs!

mossygreen

LarryLars wrote:
SCOTT EDIT: Larry, don't inline images of topless women in our forums, please

Hmm, I can't decide between shouting SPOILSPORT or COWARD.

What if it's tasteful toplessness?

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

mossygreen wrote:Hmm, I can't decide between shouting SPOILSPORT or COWARD.

You know how when you're out drinking and you have a friend who's all I CAN DO ANYTHING and you're like "Dude, there's a cop right over there, just chill for a bit" and he's like NO COP CAN STOP ME and then if you don't throw him in the car a mod probates him for posting nudity on the forums?

Or maybe that only happens to me...

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

This was the first thing that sprang to mind..

Vangelis - Heaven + Hell

also

Lamb - Heaven

Fiction Factory - Feels Like Heaven

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm miserable now (Possibly due to the censorship of fake comedy breasts)

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
Slydon wrote:You know how when you're out drinking and you have a friend who's all I CAN DO ANYTHING and you're like "Dude, there's a cop right over there, just chill for a bit" and he's like NO COP CAN STOP ME and then if you don't throw him in the car a mod probates him for posting nudity on the forums?

No, definitely happens to a few of us. In my case, I was the cop with the banhammer AND the sane buddy. Good times...

So, Heaven, right?

^ This is how Gorillaz talks about heaven.

^ This is how Bruno Mars feels about heaven

^ This is how Meatloaf feels about heaven

I'll have a few more, later. I came VERY close to getting into Christmas carols, but I'll let someone else take that on.

miken927

------------------
I Bet on Sky

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

I hate to do another 80's flashback, but here's Donna Summer, Heaven Knows

A country selection, Andy Grigg, If Heaven

And you gotta be kidding me, I am the first one to post Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven

P.S. A tip of the hat to CatCK for Knockin on Heaven's Door, lichme for Tears in Heaven, and miken927 for If you wanna get to Heaven. Many good offerings here!

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

This is the first song that popped into my head when I saw the topic, but it's probably only marginally connected to it:

It may be a bit late for dinner, but here's another serving of Meatloaf:

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Deliver me, sweet SLAYER - South Of Heaven [Lyrics] - YouTube

Illegible typeface not withstanding.

LarryLars

Slydon wrote:You know how when you're out drinking and you have a friend who's all I CAN DO ANYTHING and you're like "Dude, there's a cop right over there, just chill for a bit" and he's like NO COP CAN STOP ME and then if you don't throw him in the car a mod probates him for posting nudity on the forums?

Sorry about that, chief. Apologies to all.
On the bright side, it stirred much needed conversation in this place.

!

mossygreen

Oh! Traffic, Heaven Is In Your Mind

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

Clean Living - In Heaven There Is No Beer

dougall

raiderman23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raiderman23

Can’t believe no one mentioned The Righteous Brothers “Rock & Roll Heaven”. “If you believe in forever, then life is just a one night stand. If there’s a rock & roll heaven, you know they got a hell of a band”!

luv2kayak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages luv2kayak

I'm in love with "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys. Listen at your own risk -- you won't be able to get it out of your head, I guarantee it. Total earworm! :-)

I bet the Woot staffers in Texas are already familiar with these guys. :-)

dougall

Stone Roses

Emile Sande

U96

Live

Fatboy Slim (NSFW)

M People

James

Sparks feat. Giorgio Moroder