WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Framed Sci-Fi Movie Posters

I have a special place in my heart for Logan's Run despite the terrible special effects. Or maybe BECAUSE of the terrible special effects. You might say, "Give 'em a break. It was the '70s." But Star Wars came out a little under a year later, so ... yeah.

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143

Seriously? In college I went on ebay and bought A Clockwork Orange poster for $8.00 then I went to my local Hobby Lobby who framed it for $25... I also had the option to buy a poster frame (thinner) that was on sale for $10. This is ridiculously overpriced for a "bargain online store."

philmills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philmills

The price does seem a little high...

...so let's talk about the movies instead. I'd hang all of these on my wall except for

• Oblivion
  • I Am Legend
  • Serenity

All the rest are truly classic sci-fi (as much as I LOVED Firefly, Serenity has a hard time standing on its own).
So glad that they did the 1982 John Carpenter version of "The Thing" instead of the remake/prequel from 2011.

magiccarpetrides

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magiccarpetrides

The Metropolis one and Blade Runner looks pretty awesome...except you guys are right $69 does seem like a chunk of change...maybe to cover shipping the akward size?

mbreit1286

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbreit1286

Honestly, it's so hard to find a good, quality JC The Thing framed poster around that I got one. One of my favorite films.

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic

I'd be ALL OVER a Wrath of Khan poster. ALL OVER IT.

calculon68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calculon68
choralmusic wrote:I'd be ALL OVER a Wrath of Khan poster. ALL OVER IT.

You mean this one? I used to display this one in my office, but everyone kept asking why Khan had such butch-looking makeup.

cubdavid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cubdavid

yes come on you guys are woot! bring the price down. 1st tron was great 2nd tron still good enjoyed them both! and the special effects in logans run well as far as the computer stuff went are still good i'd love to have those props in my home!

JiggaWagga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JiggaWagga
philmills wrote:The price does seem a little high...

...so let's talk about the movies instead. I'd hang all of these on my wall except for

• Oblivion
  • I Am Legend
  • Serenity

All the rest are truly classic sci-fi (as much as I LOVED Firefly, Serenity has a hard time standing on its own).
So glad that they did the 1982 John Carpenter version of "The Thing" instead of the remake/prequel from 2011.

I agree with Oblivion and I Am Legend... but man. You're hurting a lot of feels putting Serenity in that list.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

Logan's Run is an awesome movie despite the lousy effects.

dealstalker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dealstalker
philmills wrote:The price does seem a little high...

• Oblivion
  • I Am Legend
  • Serenity

I'm with you on Oblivion and I Am Legend, and can see your point re: Serenity (this does nothing to damper my love of that show/movie, of course).

However, Independence Day should be leading that list. That movie is laughably yet terribly awful. MST3K awful. To list the flaws would be a complete threadjack, so two words should suffice: Cousin Eddie.

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

Sweet Serendipity... in for, oh damnit. nevermind.

rgraf2503

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgraf2503

It really depends how good the frames are on these. Ive spent $300 no problem framing art/posters. Wood frames usually arent cheap. But without knowing the quality its tough to know whether this is a good deal

calculon68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calculon68
JiggaWagga wrote:I agree with Oblivion and I Am Legend... but man. You're hurting a lot of feels putting Serenity in that list.

Feh. Serenity's poster really isn't that good. Doesn't scream iconic Sci Fi to me, regardless how good Summer Glau looks.

jonests

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jonests

is this 27x40 with frame included?

NuAngel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NuAngel

I'm with ashli143 on this one. $10 poster in a $15 frame. Even with additional markups the fact that these are over $45 is a COMPLETE insult. If even one person ever bought one of these framed posters at their "original" price, you can safely call them "the 1%."

This one time, I wooted off in public.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

If these are anywhere close to the Star Wars posters that they sold a bit ago, then it is worth it. This is not a cheap poster and a crappy frame from a discount store.

lummer5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lummer5000

"Crappy special effects"???!!??
I'll have you know that Logan's Run won a Special Achievement Oscar for its visual effects.

chuckf1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chuckf1
lummer5000 wrote:"Crappy special effects"???!!??
I'll have you know that Logan's Run won a Special Achievement Oscar for its visual effects.

Well isn't that special!

runadi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages runadi

so we have framed movie posters and it has cost over $100 to do so. My question is the quality or the type of frame and glass that is used. The price is really good if it is a decent quality frame. Does anyone know where I could do additional research on this?

4/22/2014 - Zande ki Graddakh
9/19/2012 - RBHSFRRNLTIBCSWVITPBNTOPHSSRBRAARRCP
4/1/2011 - Random Crap - Level 7
3/9/2011 - Bandolier of Carrots
12/1/2010 - Random Crap
8/20/2010 - Random Crap
6/24/2010 - Random Crap
5/26/2010 - Random Crap
3/26/2010 - Random Crap
9/24/2008 - Random Crap

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-TREK-II-THE-WRATH-OF-KHAN-8-X-12-COLOR-PHOTO-FROM-ORIGINAL-1982-SLIDE-3-/301047371143?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item4617d25587

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Must not have been a stellar year for special effects. You can see the strings holding the Carrousel victims, "Box" the robot is laughable, but the one that takes the cake is the moving hologram of Michael York's head, which looked ridiculous even when the movie came out. And the miniature dome city looks even less convincing than a set out of "Thunderbirds".
But I still love this film. By the way, the latest news about the planned remake are not good at all.

russwjohns

quality posts: 15 Private Messages russwjohns

Ah, Logan's Run. Precursor to The Hunger Games.

So this is where the Woot! nerds hang out.

What? No THX-1138, No Fahrenheit 451?

jkastorff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jkastorff

Get to the chopper!

fargois

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fargois

Just curious, but are these posters reproductions of the original posters, or are they from the original run when the movies first came out? If they are reproductions, I would think that they are way over priced, if original posters, well, the opposite.

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris
dealstalker wrote:I'm with you on Oblivion and I Am Legend, and can see your point re: Serenity (this does nothing to damper my love of that show/movie, of course).

However, Independence Day should be leading that list. That movie is laughably yet terribly awful. MST3K awful. To list the flaws would be a complete threadjack, so two words should suffice: Cousin Eddie.

What?! Independence Day is arguably the best non-revolutionary war science fiction 4th of July movie starring Jeff Goldblum ever made. Hands down...

Higgin2030

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Higgin2030
runadi wrote:so we have framed movie posters and it has cost over $100 to do so. My question is the quality or the type of frame and glass that is used. The price is really good if it is a decent quality frame. Does anyone know where I could do additional research on this?

Under "Specs" tab, it says this is a Backlot Art poster. These same size posters in their store on Amazon are $16.48 for the 27x40 size (poster only, no frame), but all reviews say they are of high quality. Also, the features list the frames as
•Wood frame with metal hanging wire
•Non-glare Plexiglas so your poster will look its best from any angle even in highly lit areas

So they are wood, but plexi-glass front, not actual glass :/

BTW - my fav is a 3-way tie between The Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, and Day the Eath Stood Still. Classics!

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

Oh right - it wasn't crappy special effects. They were cool - I liked the hologram scene.

It was the entire movie that sucked. It was the first one I ever considered walking out on. But I stuck it out till the end and to this day it is the hallmark of bad by which I judge all others.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

GDragonSage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GDragonSage

Yeah, these prices make me sad too. Some of these are really great posters. I particularly love Tron's, Close Encounters's, and Forbidden Planet's posters.

sandman569

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandman569

I have war of the world signed by a cast member professional frame job COA had it on E-bay for $100. Not a bite . This may be a little less then Shopping Mall prices but way over price end of the day do it your self

Mark dandrea

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
rgraf2503 wrote:It really depends how good the frames are on these. Ive spent $300 no problem framing art/posters. Wood frames usually arent cheap. But without knowing the quality its tough to know whether this is a good deal

I agree. Those cheap crappy frames others are mentioning probably don't have Plexiglas over the artwork, either. If they've got anything it's thin cheap plastic. This is a large frame.

I haven't spent $300 on framing, but I have spent $150, and I would expect to spend this much just to get something framed (with me supplying the artwork).

Of course, if you don't mine having a crappy frame, or if you don't mind just thumbtacking a poster to the wall, then, yes, this is expensive.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
fargois wrote:Just curious, but are these posters reproductions of the original posters, or are they from the original run when the movies first came out? If they are reproductions, I would think that they are way over priced, if original posters, well, the opposite.

I have a bunch of framed art in my house, and in only a few cases did the art cost more than the framing (off the top of my head the Mighty Mouse animation cels cost more, and I'm sure one or two others did). So you are paying more for the frames.

Backlot Art sells just posters, too, in their Amazon.com store. The posters without frames come in two sizes and cost between ten and twenty dollars.

gorbag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gorbag
calculon68 wrote:Feh. Serenity's poster really isn't that good. Doesn't scream iconic Sci Fi to me, regardless how good Summer Glau looks.

Summer Glau is the definition of iconic Sci Fi.

ruscal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruscal

Does anyone know if these are real movie posters (double sided, suitable for putting in a light box) or if they're just prints of the movie posters (only single sided, which can look pretty washed out when hung in a light box)?

--Ruscal

philmills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philmills
JiggaWagga wrote:I agree with Oblivion and I Am Legend... but man. You're hurting a lot of feels putting Serenity in that list.

I may or may not be harboring some ill will from Whedon offing Wash and Book.

mattl255

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattl255

Did anyone get their movie poster yet? Mine still hasn't shipped.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mattl255 wrote:Did anyone get their movie poster yet? Mine still hasn't shipped.

Hi there. As stated on the sale page, these are "Made to Order" and will ship in 7-10 business days. And we have a holiday in there.

Patience, dear wooter.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders