zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2652 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1]

Asus 15.6" FHD IPS Touch Core i7 Laptop
Price: $749.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Dec 26 to Monday, Dec 30) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Asus 15.6" FHD IPS Touch Core i7 Laptop
Price: $749.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 2652 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this write-up from laptoping.com

ranscapture

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ranscapture

This is a great comp for the price! I want it, but i don't think the battery is a 2-cell, is that right? At best buy they claim 8hr battery life.

Horaciux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Horaciux

Does it have a second HDD bay for an extra SSD drive? thanks

grlong87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grlong87

Per the specs it DOES have a 2-cell battery.

scott4381

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scott4381

why do i feel like the guy who did this review has no idea what he's talking about? he says "look i plug it in and the screen gets brighter"... yeah, that's Windows power saving settings and pretty much every laptop works that way! i can't help but doubt him on the "cannot set it to work at its full potential on battery power". and no, it'a not going to hurt anything if you use it while its not plugged in!

lichme wrote:Good reviews from BestBuy

gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd

Interested for an older friend, but forget about Windows 8. Which W7 was an option

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman

For the last(?) time: once you get past the new start menu to the desktop (now even easier with 8.1), windows 8 is virtually indistinguishable from from windows 7.

My cold boot time (on a 128 GB Samsung 830, Core i3 2330M, 8GB) is less than 10 seconds with windows 8.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

candre23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candre23
ranscapture wrote:At best buy they claim 8hr battery life.

And here they only claim "up to 4.5hrs". That's a BIG difference.

The number of cells is pretty much irrelevant - I don't know why it's even used as a spec anymore. Back when pretty much all notebook batteries used 18650 cells, it sort-of meant something. Now that everything has switched to LiPo cells (which can be of any size and capacity), cell count is a meaningless number.

If you're selling a laptop and you're not providing the battery capacity in watt-hours, you're doing it wrong. No other number provides meaningful data.

jmzombro

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jmzombro

Several comments on battery which bring it to question.
I have two Asus refurb products from Woot. A computer DOA due to bios that I had to pay to ship to get fixed and don't know if it's fixed yet. They also were difficult getting it fixed even though I contacted them 12 days after purchase when I first tried to use it. The tablet I really like but the bios will not update and their tech support has been no help.
So factor support into your purchase decision.

fsamyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsamyn
dpwellman wrote:For the last(?) time: once you get past the new start menu to the desktop (now even easier with 8.1), windows 8 is virtually indistinguishable from from windows 7.

My cold boot time (on a 128 GB Samsung 830, Core i3 2330M, 8GB) is less than 10 seconds with windows 8.

You are right you are basically paying for two OS, a W7 derivative and a touch based one, metro with the ugly colors. Btw you can not really run metro based applications in desktop mode unless yes...you guessed it ... pay a third party for that functionality. And you probably have noticed that Windows 8.1 is realty Window 8.1 because all application use the whole screen, great for a phone but not for a laptop.
Great progress MS, I wish you could take care of providing your customers with a hack proof system instead of referring us to third parties or megabytes of hole plugging updates every other day.

fsamyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsamyn
jmzombro wrote:Several comments on battery which bring it to question.
I have two Asus refurb products from Woot. A computer DOA due to bios that I had to pay to ship to get fixed and don't know if it's fixed yet. They also were difficult getting it fixed even though I contacted them 12 days after purchase when I first tried to use it. The tablet I really like but the bios will not update and their tech support has been no help.
So factor support into your purchase decision.

I bought an Asus TF600 tablet. The first one came with a damaged power adapter. I received a full refund from woot, no problems.
Then I bought the same item again refurbished from woot. This item could not be woken up out of sleep mode. I did send it for repair to Asus. Two weeks later the tablet was returned but the problem was not fixed. Another two weeks later I received a working item from the Asus repair center. This time the screen stayed upside down. Woot accepted to refund me. Thank you woot, snow on you Asus.

rokeefe1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rokeefe1

If great service and quality and important to you then avoid ASUS. Both their service and quality have severely declined in the past few years. They have corrupt files in their images and their tech support is incompetent. The Better Business Bureau currently has an active advisory against ASUS. I highly recommend you check it out before considering buying an ASUS product.

One last note, if being able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 is important to you then avoid ASUS as well. Their products don't upgrade to Windows 8.1 well. The company claims it works, but if a 5 and a half minute reboot time is working then their definition is severely warped.

chuanjb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chuanjb

When you purchase this laptop, will you have the ability to upgrade to version Windows 8.1 for free or not? Thanks!

amangeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amangeorge

Best Buy reviews of this are troubling - apparently a lot of problems after a recent Windows update.

twinfun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twinfun

Just ordered a laptop from woot 2 days ago...now I feel remorse.

Wish I could swap for this one...

whebert1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whebert1

I bought an Asus laptop last year only to have it self destruct when I ran Clonezilla to backup my install. I went through many levels of tech support to find that Asus locks down windows 8.x machines at the mobo level. If this is the same deal you will never be able to run Linux or any Linux based live cd without the system self destructing. No dual boot, no nothing but windows 8.x.
I was shocked, but this is what Asus insisted was the case again and again. I returned mine and went with a Samsung 7 series. Now I can configure my secure boot in bios and add all the OSs I want to.
I will never buy Asus again.

gwilks98

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwilks98
whebert1 wrote:I bought an Asus laptop last year only to have it self destruct when I ran Clonezilla to backup my install. I went through many levels of tech support to find that Asus locks down windows 8.x machines at the mobo level. If this is the same deal you will never be able to run Linux or any Linux based live cd without the system self destructing. No dual boot, no nothing but windows 8.x.
I was shocked, but this is what Asus insisted was the case again and again. I returned mine and went with a Samsung 7 series. Now I can configure my secure boot in bios and add all the OSs I want to.
I will never buy Asus again.

Damn, I was going to buy this and put OEM Win 7 on it. Deal breaker with this comment and the one about ASUS quality. It's a shame, they used to build amazing quality electronics.

pinusjaponicus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinusjaponicus

From personal experience, I have to concur on the bad ASUS support. With such great computers you would think they would have great support personnel. They will do more damage than good unless it is terribly obvious what the problem is.

kdante

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdante
rokeefe1 wrote:One last note, if being able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 is important to you then avoid ASUS as well. Their products don't upgrade to Windows 8.1 well. The company claims it works, but if a 5 and a half minute reboot time is working then their definition is severely warped.

I bought the Asus 15.6" Core i5 VivoBook Touch from Woot and upgraded to Windows 8.1 without a problem. Haven't timed the reboot, but it is fast and well under a minute. You must have a bad machine. I boot up on the Windows 7 side and stay there. As my only working machine, it isn't going to get played with. Once I have a true Windows 7 desktop, I may play around with the Metro side. Meanwhile, no complaints with the machine.

This line is blank!

LaceyHuszcza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LaceyHuszcza

Don't bother. I bought this deal, got a confirmation and it never came. What's worse, I contacted customer service about it and they never got back to me. It's been over two weeks now. Guess I learned my lesson!