lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Roku 2 XD Streaming Media Player
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard or $9 Two-Day or $12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 2864 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Dec 24 to Wednesday, Dec 25) + transit

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

CVagts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVagts

This really couldn't have come at a better time, as our house is looking to dump cable TV in favor of Roku boxes. Any concerns about it being reconditioned instead of new, though?

crabboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crabboy
CVagts wrote:This really couldn't have come at a better time, as our house is looking to dump cable TV in favor of Roku boxes. Any concerns about it being reconditioned instead of new, though?

For what it's worth - I bought one of these from Woot recently. All I get is a scrambled menu screen. Woot tells me it's under warranty and to contact Roku. Roku has failed to respond twice. I have no idea where to go from here. Buyer beware.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3488 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

wired.com tests many different media streamers for your reading pleasure.

On a personal note, I have been using my Roku 2 XD a lot more in the last days. The interface is very easy to use and love the fact that I can use my iPhone as the remote. No more looking for the remote!

kitkatkaddoodle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kitkatkaddoodle
CVagts wrote:This really couldn't have come at a better time, as our house is looking to dump cable TV in favor of Roku boxes. Any concerns about it being reconditioned instead of new, though?

We bought one reconditioned 2 years ago, and it's been fabulous. Every once in a while the thing freezes or shuts down and restarts itself, but not enough that it's cursing-worthy.

We like our Roku XD so much that we just bought the Roku 3 for our household for Xmas because we wanted the extra goodies like subtitles on Netflix (I think this one does that) and some of the other upgrades, but plan on moving the XD to another room for more streaming work.

We have Netflix steaming, Amazon Prime, and Hulu +, and there's TONS to watch this way!

admrgd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages admrgd

Junk. No DLNA support, no NAS support.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

crabboy wrote:For what it's worth - I bought one of these from Woot recently. All I get is a scrambled menu screen. Woot tells me it's under warranty and to contact Roku. Roku has failed to respond twice. I have no idea where to go from here. Buyer beware.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from either Woot Member Services or Roku.

Roku is normally very receptive and helpful to product owners w/warranties.

I'll go ahead and escalate your email to a WMS Lead and see if I can't help you find a resolve.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

From the wootoff at $34.99 a few days ago, slightly edited, including the previous woot before the wootoff, when it sold out--now up to 80 comments:

lichme wrote:

Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day

Read the Blog Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
11/26/2013 - $34.99 - 69 comment(s)

Tufflaw

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Tufflaw

Currently using a Boxee Box, looking to add a streaming device to another TV in the home. All I want to know is this - I don't care about netflix, amazon prime, hulu, apps, etc.

All I want to do with this is stream stuff already in folders on my PC. I want it to scrape set directories at certain intervals and show me what's new.

Does this do that?

Tufflaw

Tufflaw wrote:Currently using a Boxee Box, looking to add a streaming device to another TV in the home. All I want to know is this - I don't care about netflix, amazon prime, hulu, apps, etc.

All I want to do with this is stream stuff already in folders on my PC. I want it to scrape set directories at certain intervals and show me what's new.

Does this do that?

Oh and I should add that I have an AppleTV 2 that I can jailbreak and run XBMC, not sure if worth the trouble if I can get this for cheap. Any thoughts from anyone who's used both?

zephyr27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zephyr27

Nope.

Tufflaw wrote:Currently using a Boxee Box, looking to add a streaming device to another TV in the home. All I want to know is this - I don't care about netflix, amazon prime, hulu, apps, etc.

Does this do that?

dogsurfer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dogsurfer

I recently changed my mind about the Roku. I used to suggest the Roku paled in comparison to the G-Box MX2. I have come to learn that some find Android complex with its 850K available apps and games, or find it unacceptable to encounter occasional failed links when searching for limitless free XBMC streaming media. The strength of Roku is it’s elegance in simplicity with stable proprietary subscriptions. Granted, the MX2 has the same Netflix, Hulu, and other services as Roku, as well as YouTube. But all the additional MX2 functionality and choices can be intimidating. During my Roku research I did some comparison to other boxes, viewed XBMC demo videos, and read Amazon G-Box MX2 reviews. I figured I was up for the challenge, and you might too. Otherwise, enjoy the specific form and function of a Roku and don't look back.

P.S. Regarding the streaming discussion, the MX2 XBMC streams your existing audio, video and picture library with ease, via wireless, Ethernet, or 4 USB ports.

Tufflaw

zephyr27 wrote:Nope.

thanks for saving me $40

wendigoky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wendigoky
Tufflaw wrote:thanks for saving me $40

Actually you can. All you have to do is install a program called Plex. It's free. After you install it, go to the roku website and install the plex channel.

After awhile the channel will show up on your roku. All you do is start the plex server on your computer, choose which folders you want to stream, then go to the Plex channel on your roku. Works like a charm, and you can use the Plex app on your phone or tablet as well.

kceezie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kceezie
Tufflaw wrote:Oh and I should add that I have an AppleTV 2 that I can jailbreak and run XBMC, not sure if worth the trouble if I can get this for cheap. Any thoughts from anyone who's used both?

You can stream from your PC. You have to use Plex. Works very well for me. Been using it for years now

wendigoky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wendigoky
kceezie wrote:You can stream from your PC. You have to use Plex. Works very well for me. Been using it for years now

Yep, I was using my ps3 to stream my media until I got the roku.

drblaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drblaw

Does this do that?

Yes it can, if you download PLEX Home Theater for Windows or Mac. It is free and can be found at http://www.plexapp.com/desktop/

I am running Plex and I can stream movies stored on my PC as well as my entire iTunes folder to the TV. It works great.

Tufflaw

Thanks everyone for the Plex info, I had heard of this before, after that first reply I thought I was wrong, luckily I checked back.

johnfourteensix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfourteensix

A good time for me as my Veri$on contract is ending in Jan. I am currently test driving this model courtesy of my brother. Added PlayOn and I like it already. Looking for comments on whether to grab this one or spend a few bucks more on a refurb Roku 3. Ill be watching antenna tv, hulu, netflix, playon. Won't be streaming much if any of my own content. May add Tivo later.

Loeb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Loeb
admrgd wrote:Junk. No DLNA support, no NAS support.

What DOES have DLNA or NAS support with all the features of Roku?

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 11 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

How does this stack up against the Apple TV? I have the 720p version of the Apple TV Streaming Media Player and I am considering upgrading to the 1080p version. However, if this can do the same for a better price without any difference in performance or a steep learning curve I may purchase this over the current Apple TV model.

blackcentury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blackcentury
Tufflaw wrote:Thanks everyone for the Plex info, I had heard of this before, after that first reply I thought I was wrong, luckily I checked back.

ATV 2 w/XBMC has been the main thing I've used for a couple years now, and I too got advice from others on here about using Plex with Roku. I bought this same deal a month ago from here hoping to try it out, and installed Plex on my laptop in the meantime to try it out. It's pretty crazy how smooth it is -- I've never been able to get XBMC's "library" functionality to scrape correctly (so just use "files"), but this added great metadata in what seems like a much smarter way than XBMC. Plus if you use MyPlex, it's browser-accessible.

I will probably always use XBMC because it's so robust (I've been using OPENelec on Raspberry Pi more and more too), but this is a smooth and inexpensive alternative -- and probably more intuitive for many.

One thing you should note as a local media-streamer: PLEX server is only compatible with a handful of brand name NASs -- that is, "installable". I was discouraged, but quickly learned that installing it on a home PC and including folders in mapped network drives works wonderfully

Sad note / disclaimer: I went out of town and on;y opened up the box to play with the Roku XD this week, and it was DOA. I've never had a refurb device arrive that won't even power on before (and I'm cheap and get lots of refurb gadgets). I was shocked since it's a single circuit board, but tried everything to no avail. Unfortunately, it had been over 21 days, so Woot's DOA policy had expired and I'm out of luck (although I see above that it may be worth contacting Roku?). Regardless, I've used them before and would still recommend Roku generally, but obviously haven't been able to test local streaming with Plex on this unit.

TL;DR If you can afford it, this would be fun to play with, and does 1080 with no jail breaking

Good luck!

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

Usually Woot! offers square trade with refurbished/reconditioned items. Is there no Square Trade available for this woot deal?

[MOD: usually we do but the price is too low to qualify]

rlichtefeld

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rlichtefeld

Does this do that?

EDIT: Sorry for repeating what several other had already posted. I posted mine before reading the whole thread. Mea culpa.

Sort of. There are several different servers that you can run on your Windows PC that will serve your shows already on your PC to the Roku. I use Plex and it seems to work well.
http://plexapp.com/roku/
There is a very active development community working on Roku.

GDragonSage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GDragonSage

Seconding all the recommendations for Plex, with a couple additional details:

Whoever wanted NAS support, there is a version of Plex for NAS. I've never had the opportunity to test it, so I don't know exactly how well it works, but it's an option.

And if you're going to use Plex, I also highly recommend that you grab a program called FileBot. It's a little SourceForge project that scrapes data from imdb and some similar databases to standardize filenames for your media. Because Plex relies on filenames to identify media, and because there's not really a good way to manually add things, it'll save you a lot of headaches.

pdkrocul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pdkrocul

You can stream local files, but it does take some work. Roku has a SDK for developers to make channels. You make your own channel, download it to the Roku box, setup a local web server, and put your media files on it. It takes work. Also, the Roku only plays files in a limited selection of resolutions, bit rates, and file formats. You may have to re-encode your files.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
admrgd wrote:Junk. No DLNA support, no NAS support.

Wrong. After the last update the native media player app does, in fact, see my DLNA servers and streams video and audio. No third party software is needed.

Official app page

LiquidAg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LiquidAg

Anyone here have experience w/ DishWorld channels? How are their channel contents? Their pricing policy is a bit unclear too- Website says $14.95/mo. for first 3, but doesn't say how much after no matter where I look.

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
TheTexasTwister wrote:How does this stack up against the Apple TV? I have the 720p version of the Apple TV Streaming Media Player and I am considering upgrading to the 1080p version. However, if this can do the same for a better price without any difference in performance or a steep learning curve I may purchase this over the current Apple TV model.

I have both. I like the airplay on the AppleTV and the fact that ATV will play youtube videos. I like the Roku for the additional channels I can add. (Try that with an Apple product!)

pjr617

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjr617

Does this do that?

Yes it does. A channel within the Roku list called PLEX. I use it all the time to stream movies from my laptop to the tv.

kmiller4

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmiller4
crabboy wrote:For what it's worth - I bought one of these from Woot recently. All I get is a scrambled menu screen. Woot tells me it's under warranty and to contact Roku. Roku has failed to respond twice. I have no idea where to go from here. Buyer beware.

I have bought 3 of these from Woot and no problems with any of them.

pjr617

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjr617
zephyr27 wrote:Nope.

Learn before trying to inform.

rshigenaka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rshigenaka

Does this do that?

Take it from another Boxee Box owner: move to Roku as quickly as you can. You will not regret it. Consulted the gadget gurus that I trust, and was advised to acquire a Roku (2 or 3). The Boxee has been bronzed and has taken a place on the shelf of odd-looking boat anchors. Bought the Roku 3 a couple of weeks ago, and have been mesmerized by the performance and available content.

uslam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages uslam

Does this do that?

I stream stuff all the time using a Roku. There is a great channel called Plex. It runs a media server on your PC and works like a lot like Netflix. It auto downloads any metadata for the file and list Items in categories you choose.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred

I agree with the beware.

I bought a refub item from woot that came to me in a "not working" condition. The response is, "Contact manufacturer."

I have no info for the Roku, specifically, because the one I ordered last time they were on sale (Dec 11) still shows up in the "Shipping Now" with the "No tracking available" comment. (Three things I've ordered since then have shown up already.)

No Roku, no response. To be fair - I only sent my, "Seriously guys...what is the deal" email this past weekend.

[MOD: I've asked CS to look into why your order hasn't shipped.]

cfox612

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cfox612

Bought 2 of these the last time they were up, and LOVE them! We haven't had any issues, saving over $100/month from ditching cable, and really haven't even noticed that we're missing anything. We're Prime members as well, which means a lot of free content there. It's also been fun discovering the free channels available. Highly recommend before they inevitably sell out like before!

shadowman0531

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadowman0531

We have three ROKU 3's at home. I stream all of my stuff from my PC to the ROKU using a channel named "PLEX". It does require the installation of the Plex media manager, but that is also free ! Hope that helps.

Does this do that?