WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Say, did you find any new music this year? Anything you really liked? We sure hope so. Today's a celebration of Scott's personal favorites of 2013, but there's no reason YOU can't make your OWN list too! He'll go first, then you can show him up, okay? Okay.

Savages - Shut Up

As far as I can tell, a band from the early 1990s got into a time machine and came forward to 2013 so they could release their first record. That's the only explanation that makes any sense! This band is like a lovely hammer tossed at the glass pane that is modern rock music, and I couldn't be more pleased to have a copy of my own. If you like this, you'll like every other song on the record. Promise.

Four more of Scott's picks inside. Then it's your turn. See you after the jump.

Frankie Rose - Sorrow

Adolescent? Sure! But oh so appealing. This pretty cinematic tune is just begging to be on a John Hughes soundtrack, and I'm sure it's already inspired some kid to pick up a guitar and learn to play. It's total pop, but it's such lovely pop. I've yet to hear a Frankie Rose project I don't enjoy.

Ghostface Killah - Rise Of The Ghostface Killah NSFW but not as much as you'd think

Adrian Younge could probably turn the sound of a car crash into a warm and soulful melody, so it's no surprise the music on Twelve Reasons To Die is outstanding. But so is the rapping and the plot. Yes, the plot. See, a guy is killed and pressed into twelve records, which are handed to some Mafia gangsters, then the guy comes back to life and- you know what, just go enjoy it.

Janelle Monae - Dance Apocalyptic

I would have put this one on the list just for the cover, but guess what? The stuff inside is BETTER than the cover! Her concept is lofty sci-fi, her central themes are quite thoughtful, her music is really good, and her stage presence is just ridiculous. My only regret is that I still haven't been able to see her live.

Mickey & The Soul Generation - Message From A Black Man

No, it's not new new. Yes, it was re-issued this summer so I think it still counts. Also, it's one of the albums I've most enjoyed this year, so whatever. You don't like how I judge records? Make your own list! But be sure to listen to this outstanding instrumental first, because you will not want to miss out.

Throw your favorites of 2013 into the comments below. Also let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use. And hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR! See you in 2014!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

I like this tune from Exlamation Pony, it's kind of a '90s throwback:

And new from Sebadoh this year, with KITTY!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

lordtara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordtara

I love Savages. They're like if Siouxsie Sioux sang for Joy Division.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

New releases or new discoveries from 2013...

One of my FAVORITE new discoveries was this:Calling all the Monsters - from the writers of "ANT Farm" which is a Disney Channel series. For kids, right? So... why is it when I put it on my MP3 player next to Poker Face by Lady Gaga and Disturbia from Rhianna, it feels adorably mature?

Subtext is FUN.

*Bonus points if you play it next to Rhianna/Eminem's "Monster (under my bed)"

Anyway.

Owl City's theme piece for "Wreck-It Ralph" is also on my list of kid-friendly songs for my shared MP3 player with my son. "When Can I See You Again" is an adorable "Let's hang out again sometime" song.

Others:
Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
(Alien transmission: "Kssssht. The humans have found our messages. They're dancing to it and calling it dubstep. Over.")

Oh, and while we're on dubstep AND songs that my son loves to listen to:
Let's rock down to Electric Avenue because we're super ninjas.

Wake Me Up - Avicci is a new fave, too. I seem to be into mainstream club nonsense this year.

There are others... somewhere... I just can't remember what they were.

mossygreen

quality posts: 69 Private Messages mossygreen

Hmm, I don't listen to much new music, but surely I heard something on the radio at some point.... Got all week to respond, right? Or just the rest of the year?

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Tick tock, mother decorateer! :p

Getting in the time machine for these.

Released this year (pretty sure, there are multiple versions of this track, plus it could be a re-do) and probably my favorite is this one which sounds straight outta 1975 New York City:

DISCO I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant by Silke Berlinn

https://soundcloud.com/silke-berlinn/disco-not_z-1 (Thanks to the scare filter you'll have to manually replace 'not_z' with a word it sounds like )

Released last autumn, but new to me and YouTube this year is this gem of early '60s sound:

La Luz - Call Me in the Day [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

Early '80s NWOBHM inspired:

Volbeat - The Hangman's Body Count - YouTube

Drawing from 1970 is this soulful instrumental:

The Cactus Channel - Black Flag and Lady Bountiful by HopeStreet Recordings (not Black Flag as in the band, btw) Fans of Budos Band et al. should dig this.

Thanks again Mr. Lydon and all participants for a year of great tunes.

Also, the filter adding "I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant" isn't particularly cool. I know none of us credit card carrying shoppers are adults, but still, these filters are best left as an option. For those interested, the replaced word is pronounced 'Not Z'.

Really decorates up my link I see now.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

From Safeway to Tesco.

Not even being on the GTA V soundtrack could detract from this track.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Thought of a couple other, more modern tunes.

The Love Language - "Calm Down" (Official Music Video) - YouTube

And, well, if we're really being honest here... Release by StrawHousePig on SoundCloud. Totes fave.

mossygreen

quality posts: 69 Private Messages mossygreen

OK, so this isn't new at all (in fact, it's over a decade old), and it isn't even new to me, but I recently bought the complete Home Movies set with the bonus music cd, and rediscovered the best song about a cat ever:

Mr. Pants

Now if you'll excuse me, Saturday Night Fever is on.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

It's late enough in the week that I can stretch the rule and add one that is not a new artist, but a new song by a current artist.

I give you, Jack Johnson's latest. "Shot Reverse Shot"

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

My top 100+ list (yes, I listen to too much music):
http://davepolak.blogspot.com/2013/12/2013-year-in-music.html