zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2856 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

Samsung Blu-ray Player with Apps & Wi-Fi
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Friday, Jan 03 to Wednesday, Jan 08) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/19/2013 - $39.99 (Woot-off) - 20 comment(s)
12/13/2013 - $39.99 - 76 comment(s)
11/29/2013 - $39.99 (Woot-off) - 13 comment(s)

11/30/2013 - $39.99 (Woot Plus)

lichme

quality posts: 2856 Private Messages lichme

Some additional info and reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) on the product page

and

Some reviews at bestbuy.com

A lot of users have made comments towards Netflix freezing up. This may be better as a Blu-Ray only.

zaxmyth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zaxmyth

Got this the last time it was on sale here. Absolutely no problems from woot!, I love this website! The player itself is very finicky, sometimes non-responsive at all. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to show any signs of life, even though the power button is lit-up. Using the remote to search for anything is a chore, because it takes a couple seconds to respond after each button press. Maybe due to it being refurbished? I don't know, but it's definitely worth spending a little more for a new model.

trizeam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trizeam

Works fine as a Blu-ray player, but if you're looking for Netflix, this is NOT the device. It refuses to play more than a quarter of a way through a show or movie.

TheWebHead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheWebHead

A lot of freezes up in wifi comments at the popular "A" web site. The idea of combining blu ray and a chromecast type device sounds great, but experience from other users suggests this isn't the product for the job.

theco2

quality posts: 64 Private Messages theco2
trizeam wrote:Works fine as a Blu-ray player, but if you're looking for Netflix, this is NOT the device. It refuses to play more than a quarter of a way through a show or movie.

I have been using this one for a year and mostly for Netflix. I have never had a problem with the Netflix movies. The only thing I have had a problem with is the remove mysteriously losing a button; of course it was the down button. We ended up getting a universal.
I never did get it to connect with WiFi, either. It kept telling me something was wrong, no matter what I did.

toranada

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toranada

Got it so mom could stream Netflix. Can't get any service to work past splash screen. Wifi is on. Glad to see others having problems so it's likely not something I'm doing wrong.

swapmeet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages swapmeet

This works fine as a Blu-Ray player, but careful. It's loud. The disc motor is the loudest I've ever heard on an optical disc drive. If you listen to movies at a low volume, then the whine from the motor will probably drive you nuts. If you like loud action movies, then you're not going to notice the noise.

The Netflix streaming through Wi-Fi barely works, even after a firmware update. It will play for a few minutes and then buffer... buffer... buffer. Better to just get a Chromecast.

garylehr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garylehr

I bought this one from Woot, DVD's and blu-rays played fine but I found the netflix and pandora apps to be fickle, sometimes they would work great and sometimes not so much.. I also bought the Philips blu-ray player Philips blu-ray after I bought this one and was much more pleased with that one, wi-fi connection with the Philips was more stable and the apps ran smoother.

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh

I have this same model player. In full disclosure, mine isn't refurbished and was purchased at my local Target about a year and a half ago. I haven't experienced any problems I'm reading in the other comments. No problems syncing to my wifi... yesterday. Didn't even realize all the capabilities until I watched it sell out last time it was offered on woot!

wootmeharder

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wootmeharder

Oh, and I have this same blu-ray player, and I can agree with all the other reviews...the wireless is useless. Netflix freezes every 1-2 minutes.

penguin30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penguin30
zaxmyth wrote:Got this the last time it was on sale here. Absolutely no problems from woot!, I love this website! The player itself is very finicky, sometimes non-responsive at all. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to show any signs of life, even though the power button is lit-up. Using the remote to search for anything is a chore, because it takes a couple seconds to respond after each button press. Maybe due to it being refurbished? I don't know, but it's definitely worth spending a little more for a new model.

It's not because it's refurbished. I bought this new and have the same exact issue. Most of the time it's ok but can be really frustrating when it freezes, you have to unplug and replug and then wait for it to connect etc. Still, to get all that you do for $40 isn't bad, thought that's what I paid for new (black Friday last year).

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

Woot! must have tens of thousands of these in the corner of the warehouse.

gurlgamer05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gurlgamer05

I have the Netflix freezing issue also. I bought one of these when it was last on woot. As a blu ray player it's great I have no problems. As an Internet connected blu ray player it sucks. Not bad for $40 imo though.

superspec

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superspec

I bought 2 at thanksgiving. they both have an issue with WIFI. I was pumped when i got to stream Pandora and it worked great. Every time since then though it wont connect for more than a few sec. i don't do Netflix but suspect it has the same issue.

Oh and the number one issue for me is it has no prime app.

The BR player is great though. the motor might be a touch loud but when I watch a movie I intend to be a part of the movie so I only hear the motor during no audio parts.

tfseth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tfseth

Do they make a bare bones blu-ray player that just plays movies and nothing else? Or do I need to just buy one like this?

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67

Sounds like crap to me! Go with the best value for a high end player which includes a dual processor, WiFi, Netflix, 3D, DUAL HDMI (for non-3D receivers), etc. Sony BDP-S790.

shadetreescouser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadetreescouser

If you put white dots on these they make really good dominos...with bad WiFi

GoodyPost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoodyPost

Works great as a Blu-Ray/DVD Player and playing Pandora.

Creeper1313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Creeper1313
superspec wrote:
Oh and the number one issue for me is it has no prime app.

That's a key point. While this one says "with Apps", you need to read the fine print of which apps.

I got the BD-F5900 which is a bit wider than this one and was $118 new at Amazon 6 months ago, but since I'm a Prime member, this was worth it to me. I've had none of the general freezing and glitchy issues reported with this one (the 5400).

I'm not a Netflix streaming customer, so unfortunately I can't report on if it suffers from any freezing with that app in particular.

mredca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mredca

Do your self a favor & don't buy it. I bought one when Woot last offered it & within a month it had started freezing & becoming unresponsive. I have tried to contact Woot Customer service to replace it wia the 90 Day WOOT warrenty but, 12 days after my email to Customer Service I still have not recieved a response from them --- well, I did receive a case number saying they would respond with in a week but as of today it has been 12 days & no response has come. I feel I may have merely wasted my money.

robertmcclure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertmcclure

Yep just like the masses have stated, this device is excellent for DVD, BlueRay, & Pandora Radio. but it freezes up with Netflix & takes forever to enter search criteria for the Youtube app.

it's a slow device, it responds to remote commands in its own time usually lol! else, it's the perfect BlueRay player haha!

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
tfseth wrote:Do they make a bare bones blu-ray player that just plays movies and nothing else? Or do I need to just buy one like this?

I looked for one a bit over a year ago and couldn't find one. There are some high end players that don't have the streaming apps, but I didn't want to spend several hundred dollars.

I ended up with one that has apps, but I never use them. I have a Roku for that stuff.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

The thing I've noticed with this unit is the DLNA (UPnP... AllShare... whatever they call it this year) doesn't pick up my server reliably and I don't know how to force it to. Got it to work once, at least.

Also, unlike an older, larger Samsung BD player we have it doesn't offer additional downloadable software.

I should add that this unit and a Samsung TV both pick up the DLNA server no problem.

BelyndaG

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BelyndaG

Wow! I bought one of these new for DH for his birthday back in November and we've had no problems so far. We've been really busy so it hasn't had a lot of heavy use, and we mostly watch Netflix on a smart TV in another room. After reading the comments I need to go play around with this to see if I spot any of the problems mentioned. The only complaint I have so far is that there is no qwerty keypad on the remote so it's a pain to type letters. (First World problem?)

djalliduck

quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck

I got this as an Xmas present last year - Netflix would lock up, close captioning was off, and sometimes Netflix would just stop and say it couldn't connect. Other times, the console would just go to a static screen.

This year, got a Roku 3, no issues, much happier.

mckemie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mckemie

I'll add my experience here. I got two through Woot in mid-December, one as a Christmas gift. I decided not to use the second one as a gift; it is still sitting around gift wrapped. I tested the one I opened side by side on one TV with ChromeCast. The Samsung will not play NetFlix reliably while the ChromeCast works flawlessly on the same TV, same wifi, same everything. I've been talking to Samsung and they seem pretty responsive but are little to no help other than making me jump through a bunch of hoops. The first email to them I told them that the firmware was upgraded early on. Yet, they told me to make sure the firmware was up to date.

I like to use closed captions. The ChromeCast displays captions on all dialog in realtime. The Samsung skips dialog and the captions are significantly delayed making them of little use.

If anyone has success getting a fix from Samsung, please post. The Samsung brand has had a very good reputation with me. Sorry to see them stumble.

Linksys notebook adapters 11/30/05
WD 250 gig HD 1/11/06
2 gig USB drives 1/3/07
Jumbo universal remote 2/12/08
eMachines Notebook 1/28/09
Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar 6/23/10

snapperh3ad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snapperh3ad

Just adding to all the noise here that these things are pieces of junk, and if you go back through Woot comments from every time they've gone on sale they're full of people saying the same things every time.

I got this new for $50 at Wal-Mart. Piece of junk. So, FYI, for $45 after shipping it's not really that great of a deal and there's a reason they keep showing up on here as refurbished.

raiderj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raiderj

This player is garbage. I couldn't get it to work without freezing, and even worse is the poor customer service from Woot. I'm attempting to return the product without luck because Woot won't respond.

Going to be disputing the charge here soon because I have no other options :-(

raiderj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raiderj
mredca wrote:Do your self a favor & don't buy it. I bought one when Woot last offered it & within a month it had started freezing & becoming unresponsive. I have tried to contact Woot Customer service to replace it wia the 90 Day WOOT warrenty but, 12 days after my email to Customer Service I still have not recieved a response from them --- well, I did receive a case number saying they would respond with in a week but as of today it has been 12 days & no response has come. I feel I may have merely wasted my money.

I'm in the same boat as you, and going to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Very frustrating.

johncore3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johncore3

Run Away! It plays DVD's fine but the apps for Netflix, etc hang the machine so bad you have to pull the plug. Plus they put the physical controls on top. You have to push a button on top of the unit to open and close the tray. Or use the remote. Went to Samsung support, upgraded firmware, still hangs on Netflix or youtube after about 10 minutes of play.

mredca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mredca

If you are in doubt about the Woot 90 day warranty with this Samsung, try sending a test email to ' rma@woot.com ' , this is the address given at the Woot Support page. & guess what? it will bounce back -- all the emails I have sent there just bounce back as 'failed permanently'.

So, where is Woot Support, that's what I want to know. Anybody got an email address they will respond to?

kimberly20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimberly20

I bought this as a Christmas gift for my husband. Can't get it to work. Bought new hdmi cables, still nothing. Is there a trick to this we don't know about????

cshores9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cshores9

does it work with Amazon prime?

hoakley9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoakley9

I love the apps but the blu ray player pauses every 30 seconds. It took forever to watch a movie Christmas Day! Is this because it's refurbished????

Livinonedge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Livinonedge

I have this player and if you have a Samsung HDTV its a must have.

It has a neat feature that when turning the Bluray player on directly, it will turn the TV on automatically. And turning the TV off will power off the player. This is however, optional, but thats just the plus side of having compatibility.

Also, the player comes with a remote that has a small section dedicated to TV Power and Volume control so you don't need to use two remotes. Your Samsung TV remote may also come with Dvd player controls that have little to no use up until this moment, those controls on your Tv remote will work with the Bluray without having to code anything.

Just hook it up and use the Anynet+ option.

This is all going without saying this only works with Samsung TVs for a Samsung player, but I paid $60 for this plaer new, and I LOVE IT! The circular pad is all touch, no buttons, and it has a nice fingerprint magnet gloss all over the unit. Much better in person than pictures.

8 Screaming Monkey
2 Bags of Crap
2 Woot-off lights
7 Woot Shirt

mikecris

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mikecris

Seriously Woot???!!! Huge frustration from a long time buyer. Ordered one of these at the beginning of the month, it got lost in the mail, I sent in 2 customer service requests that weren't addressed until after another sale of this item had come and gone, and was then told there were none left in stock for a replacement and gave me a refund. While I do thank you much for the refund, I have to ask White Tundra Frost is this?????? So not cool......

erick99

quality posts: 21 Private Messages erick99

I bought this from Woot in December and got it in time to watch Christmas movies before Christmas. It has turned out to be a great investment for forty bucks. It sees the other computers in the house and I can stream video from any of those very easily. If you plug in flash drive or external drive to the USB port you can stream video or music from there as well. It is small in size so doesn't take up much room. You will need an HDMI cable and some batteries for the remote.

Erick R Williams
Only worry about the present. The past is over and the future will be the present soon enough

blinkyfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blinkyfish

I own one of these, or at least I'm 95% confident it's the same model. They look identical. I bought mine at a large retailer headquartered in Issaquah for about $20 more than this offer. I don't use it to stream Netflix (and you probably shouldn't either, just buy a Roku), but I've had no issues with DVD and Blu-Ray playback. I made sure to connect the device to my wifi and updated the software right off the bat. Sure, it's a little laggy when you're using the remote, but how often do you need to press buttons while watching a movie? Works fine for me, and this is a good price.