zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Your Choice of Pentax Camera
Price: $229.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Jan 03 to Monday, Jan 06) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this so-so review on the Q-10

Check out this review on the MX-1 over at dpreview.com

dliidlii1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dliidlii1

mx is the better buy of the two offers but still only a $14 savings over Adoramas Ebay price.

omega31

quality posts: 6 Private Messages omega31

I actually have a Q10. It looks like a toy, and feels like a toy. It takes decent pictures, given the size of its image sensor (which is the same size found in many compact digicams). The Q mount has 8 total lenses available, with 2 or 3 labeled as "TOY" lenses, which are manual focus only.

asciid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages asciid

The Q10 is cheaper on Amazon by a dollar, and has free shipping.

http://amzn.com/B009APEUHK

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 38 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

The MX-1 is a good camera at the "normal" street price of $400 and it's a steal here at $229. The Q10 is not a good camera and produces very inferior photos. If you want a toy camera that takes crap photos, buy the Q10. If you want a real camera that takes very nice photos, buy the MX-1. Or buy them both and throw away the one you don't like. I guarantee you'll throw away the Q10.

jespensc

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jespensc

Some revised thoughts about the Pentax Q and Q10 since I commented last time:

I bought the Pentax Q back in February, and another Pentax Q10 + 02 zoom lens for my son a month ago. These are great cameras. There's more than a little novelty in the size: it's TINY. So tiny it's firmly in what-is-wrong-with-you territory. When a big dude like me wears it with the neck strap it looks like some kind of demented DSLR necklace.

But the real deal is photo quality, which is unreasonably good. There are many bigger, badder, more impressive lens-system cameras on the market, but that's not the point (and none of them will fit in your pocket). It's not DSLR-class-excellent (due to the physics of the smaller sensor) but the improved sensor technology means Q/Q10 image quality is firmly in the same class as micro4/3 and the like, and far better than any ~12mp point-n-shoot. I've taken tons of still shots and video, from simple shots to tough fast-moving soccer games at dusk, and the images are really sharp and beautiful. In actual use the included 02 (5-15 zoom) and available 06 (15-45 zoom) lenses are fabulous glass, and turn out to be durable despite feeling too light. (But skip the cruddy 04/05 "toy" lenses.)

Aaaaand... then I'm back to the giggle-worthy size. I remember the old adage that "the best camera is the one you take with you" and this firmly fits the bill. I can get the Pentax Q/Q10 body, with the 02 zoom and 03 wide lens, charger, extra battery -- all in the same space as a typical DSLR body. I put the whole kit in a sandwich box, and keep it in the front pocket of my work bag.

Just make sure the firmware is updated to 1.14 to get the latest Q/Q10/Q7 stability improvements and support for new lenses:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/q_s.html
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/q_v114.zip

jespensc

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jespensc
lorenzodemedici wrote:(snip)The Q10 is not a good camera and produces very inferior photos. If you want a toy camera that takes crap photos, buy the Q10. (snip) I guarantee you'll throw away the Q10.

Plenty of folks with hands-on experience seem to disagree, and appreciate the Q-series cameras as a good balance of tiny size and very good quality:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/09/27/the-pentax-q-digital-camera-review-a-pocket-full-of-pixels/
http://fstoppers.com/pentax-q-mirrorless-camera-review
http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-q.html

Not that you have to like things that I like, but saying that you would throw away a well-reviewed camera seems... well... a bit silly.

AlexD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AlexD

The Q10 costs a one dollar LESS on amazon.com with free shipping for me (Prime). How is this a deal?

easties

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easties

I bought the MX-1 from Woot a few months ago (for $20 more, darn it) and I love it. Even a schlub like me can get some really excellent photos. The battery seems to hold a charge for a long time. Highly recommended.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE UPDATE

We've heard you loud and clear. The boss has lowered the price to $199.99.

Now go by a camera for yourself or your sister or Cousin Bobby or Aunt Myrtle. Someone!

Small print: If you already purchased, that money will fly back into your pockets soon.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ethicall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ethicall
ThunderThighs wrote:
PRICE UPDATE

We've heard you loud and clear. The boss has lowered the price to $199.99.

Now go by a camera for yourself or your sister or Cousin Bobby or Aunt Myrtle. Someone!

Small print: If you already purchased, that money will fly back into your pockets soon.

Target has the red one for $199. Plus 5% off and free shipping if you use their Red Card. It has come to the point of having to checking other sites so you don't get ripped off when shopping on Woot nowadays.

[MOD: Seems to be a Target exclusive color. They don't carry the black/silver.]

jeffiekins

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jeffiekins
ethicall wrote:Target has the red one for $199. Plus 5% off and free shipping if you use their Red Card. It has come to the point of having to checking other sites so you don't get ripped off when shopping on Woot nowadays.

Don't you think "ripped off" is a little (!) harsh? Seriously, I'm rather pleased that Woot! responded quickly (and retroactively) to the previous price complaints.

Most sites with a "price match" policy will only refund you if you send them an exact URL with a lower price, not if someone else does. Yes, I know, it wouldn't even make sense to compare the "old Woot!" to "most sites," but that's the world we live in: almost nothing small and wonderful stays that way for long. I remember when Woot! was the deal-a-day site, then 5 deals a day, and gradually now it's 100 deals a day, some for a few days. *sigh*

I do, of course, wonder whether they will (and encourage them to) respond to your issue.

If it drops below $200, I may well get one. I've been itching to replace my 4MP camera for some time, and I remember fondly my Pentax SLR (K1000) stolen in the 80's. But life (and tuition and new tires) gets in the way. *sigh* (again)

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

xmichaelx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xmichaelx
jespensc wrote:... the improved sensor technology means Q/Q10 image quality is firmly in the same class as micro4/3 and the like...

The micro4/3 sensor is more than 8 times larger than the Q's sensor, so this is a ridiculous statement. See this article for a more realistic view: http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-q/review.html

brechbt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brechbt

I bought the MX-1 here a few months ago when it was $250. I thought then and still think that it's a great buy at that price. For $200 it's simply an incredible value.

This camera has an amazing combinations of features and quality:

>>Step up in sensor size vs. ordinary point-and-shoot cameras

>>Very fast lens at f1.8, and f2.5 at full telephoto. This, combined with the 1/1.7 sensor, gives excellent low-light shooting capability at this price point.

>>Amazing macro capability--can focus down to 1 cm! This exceeds the macro abilities of cameras costing much more.

>>Robust build quality.

>>Tilting view screen. This feature alone sets this camera apart from a lot of its competition; you won't know how much you like this until you use it for low shots or when you want to shoot at waist level to be inconspicuous.

>>Very robust set of in-camera processing options.

>>RAW mode.

I could go on; obviously I like this camera. I suggest reading the full reviews on DPReview and Steve's Digicam.

I cannot imagine any other camera at this price point that can come close to this one for quality and features.

daviangel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daviangel
brechbt wrote:I bought the MX-1 here a few months ago when it was $250. I thought then and still think that it's a great buy at that price. For $200 it's simply an incredible value.

>>Very fast lens at f1.8, and f2.5 at full telephoto. This, combined with the 1/1.7 sensor, gives excellent low-light shooting capability at this price point.

>>Amazing macro capability--can focus down to 1 cm! This exceeds the macro abilities of cameras costing much more.

>>Robust build quality.

>>Tilting view screen. This feature alone sets this camera apart from a lot of its competition; you won't know how much you like this until you use it for low shots or when you want to shoot at waist level to be inconspicuous.

>>RAW mode.

I could go on; obviously I like this camera. I suggest reading the full reviews on DPReview and Steve's Digicam.

I cannot imagine any other camera at this price point that can come close to this one for quality and features.

Ditto!
Check out just some of the pictures I've taken with it I put up on Amazon. It's was worth all the $250 I paid for it just couple of months ago it's a steal at $200!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77105422@N06/sets/72157639316868505/

jeffiekins

xmichaelx wrote:The micro4/3 sensor is more than 8 times larger than the Q's sensor, so this is a ridiculous statement. See this article for a more realistic view: http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-q/review.html

Well, I read that review, and for some uses, the Q did much better than its sensor size would indicate. I'm still thinking about one.

Yeah, you can't get away from the huge depth of field, so there's Photoshop for that, and you'll need a flash for low light, but it has a nice flash, so that's not so bad.

For $200, it's totally not a bad choice. And I'm pretty sure I have a K mount lens or two around here somewhere...

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

pglickenhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pglickenhaus

I totally agree for 199 the MX1 is the best value in any modern camera I have seen in a long while. I dont understand anyone's hesitance in not picking one up.
It is an amazing camera!

brechbt wrote:I bought the MX-1 here a few months ago when it was $250. I thought then and still think that it's a great buy at that price. For $200 it's simply an incredible value.

>>Robust build quality.

>>RAW mode.

colinchout

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colinchout

I'm looking for a compact for family + travel . I am mulling between this Pentax MX-1 and the Cannon powershot SX510 ($229) w/ 30x zoom Vs 4x zoom fron the Pentax . Anyone with good knowledge on cameras can give me a good advice ? Thanks a bunch .
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX510-Digital-Optical/dp/B00EFILPHA/ref=zg_bs_330405011_8

pglickenhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pglickenhaus

Went to Paris for 2 weeks. I was amazed how little I used any zoom.
I was carrying a sx260hs with 20x. There is no comparison between the picture quality of the 260 and MX1.
I purchased the MX1 shortly after my trip on woot for 249 and still consider that a great bargain. I hardly ever use any zoom and if I do I have found 4x plenty.
Some will disagree but that is my opinion.

colinchout wrote:I'm looking for a compact for family + travel . I am mulling between this Pentax MX-1 and the Cannon powershot SX510 ($229) w/ 30x zoom Vs 4x zoom fron the Pentax . Anyone with good knowledge on cameras can give me a good advice ? Thanks a bunch .
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX510-Digital-Optical/dp/B00EFILPHA/ref=zg_bs_330405011_8

notme2017

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notme2017

I really gave a lot of thought about buying this camera. In the end this a compromise camera. I would save my money for a DSLR or DSLR like camera that has 20x telephoto. I'm not crazy about buying more lens that just fit one camera.

danielm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danielm

Side-by-side feature comparison here:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Pentax-MX-1-vs-Pentax-Q10

grantkruger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grantkruger
colinchout wrote:I'm looking for a compact for family + travel . I am mulling between this Pentax MX-1 and the Cannon powershot SX510 ($229) w/ 30x zoom Vs 4x zoom fron the Pentax . Anyone with good knowledge on cameras can give me a good advice ? Thanks a bunch .

I'd say it depends on what you want. If all you need is a good happy-family snapper this seems great. I personally will never ever buy a camera again that does not have at least 20X zoom. Zoom is one of those things that when you have it you start to use it more and more and once you have you'll never go back.

So for me 4X is a deal-breaker. I take a lot of outdoor photos, but even in the city I find a decent zoom to be invaluable. I have taken photos of something interesting on a high floor or a few blocks down. I took a photo of a bird on a tree the other day and the detail is wonderful, but with 4X zoom even at 20 paces you would not even have seen the bird. I also take close ups of flowers, bugs, ice, etc and the zoom is incredible for that. The other day I was in a town square celebration for NYE and I was able to take photos of sections of the crowd far from me in all directions within just seconds of midnight, catching all kinds of fun detail. With this camera I'd have needed to be in 10 places at the same time.

If that sort of shot matters to you then you'll want more zoom. Woot has several times sold Panasonic DMC-ZS19K LUMIX 14.1MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom. I picked up a refurb for $125 and I'd buy a new one of these over this one any day, but since it broke just days after the 3-month warranty (since I gifted it it actually lasted less than 2 months) I'll never buy a Woot refurb again without also buying the extended warranty, which probably means buying one new is better. It's a great little camera that fits in a pocket and takes better photos than newer models of the same camera.

You can currently get a new one for about $180 and there are a lot of options in the $200 range. Or wait a bit. Woot sell a lot of decent cameras, many with much better zoom.

This was the deal I bought: http://tech.woot.com/offers/panasonic-14-1mp-digital-camera-w20x-opt

Sala kahle,
Grant

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy

Great; yet another set of cameras without viewfinders pretending to be some sort of smartphone. The camera mfrs are killing themselves with this drek.

jeffiekins

On the one hand, a camera with a long zoom...has a long zoom. It will get you closer to your shots.

On the other hand, a long zoom introduces other compromises: (1) it's going to be slower (you'll need to use flash more often), (2) it will not be as sharp (if you make a large blow-up), (3) it will be bigger and heavier, (4) it may cause more battery drain, and (5) it will have more distortion (straight lines in the picture not being absolutely straight, colors and focus varying over the visible field).

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

You may notice that the various drawbacks (except "bigger and heavier") are things that most people who just snap photos may not notice. But those same people may never use the longer reaches of a long zoom, so they'd probably be happy with either.

bbf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bbf
jeffiekins wrote:Well, I read that review, and for some uses, the Q did much better than its sensor size would indicate. I'm still thinking about one.

In ideal conditions, even my 5MP cell phone camera can produce some impressive shots...

The Q10 is pretty much a gadget geek's camera right now, just like the Pentax Auto 110 was in its day. (Maybe in several years sensor technology will advance so one can get decent low light shots out of a sensor that small, but as of today, it's more of a gimmick to put interchangeable lenses on a camera with a sensor that small.)

The MX-1 has a LARGER sensor AND FASTER lens, so will take better pictures given the same photographer, especially in less than ideal situations.

The Q10 does have a more impressive built-in flash with a fancy extension arm, and a hot shoe for a more powerful flash, but the rear display is lower resolution than the MX-1 (half the resolution.) And honestly even for the the MX-1 a 640x480 rear screen could be better, but it *is* in the top of its class right now for resolution. Since the rear display is the ONLY way to frame and gauge proper focus, higher resolution is ALWAYS better.

For my $$$ I'd rather get the MX-1, it's a good deal at $200... equivalent to the Olympus XZ-1 for $200 (almost exact same lens and same sensor size) when the XZ-2 was released.

If one really *wants* a small, interchangeable lens mirrorless camera, RIGHT NOW, I'd recommend going with the Canon EOS-M, it's worth the extra $100, or one of the older Micro 4/3's from Panasonic or Olympus (these will be larger, but will take *much* better photos in non-optimal conditions.)

sbrener

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrener

The quote below does a really good just of summing up the excellent MX-1, which in one review was said to offer the best image quality for a camera under $500.

I've been so impressed by the image quality, fast, sharp lens, excellent sensor and feature set of this little beast.

I bought it at about $360, and am happy with it. At $199, I would be ecstatic.

Here's an image or two I took with it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbrener/11108440644/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbrener/11108764843/

>>Robust build quality.

>>RAW mode.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
ethicall wrote:Target has the red one for $199. Plus 5% off and free shipping if you use their Red Card. It has come to the point of having to checking other sites so you don't get ripped off when shopping on Woot nowadays.

[MOD: Seems to be a Target exclusive color. They don't carry the black/silver.]

The OP of this comment has an odd idea of what "ripped off" means.

hatesthatshow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hatesthatshow

The Q10 sure looks like a lot of fun, but I wouldn't buy it as anything other than a curiosity or tertiary camera. I do wish it came with the prime lens; I don't think I'd be able to resist that.

What do you want to take pictures of? Those cameras are optimized for different things.

If you want to take pictures of things that are farther away (sports, wildlife, whatever) buy the Canon.

Otherwise absolutely buy the MX-1. It will be better in low light, and easier to carry around. You'll also feel a million times cooler holding the MX-1.

bbf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bbf
notme2017 wrote:I really gave a lot of thought about buying this camera. In the end this a compromise camera. I would save my money for a DSLR or DSLR like camera that has 20x telephoto. I'm not crazy about buying more lens that just fit one camera.

All cameras are compromise cameras. You need to figure out what your "needs" and "wants" are and decide for yourself. The Q10 is definitely a "want" camera, since the MX-1 bests it in almost every way that matters for photo quality... but it doesn't have the "smallest interchangeable lens camera" check box checked.

I have a friend that will lug a Nikon D7000 with a zoom lens around *everywhere*. I personally carry my Panasonic G3 with a 14mm lens (28mm equiv.) around in my backpack, and when I need a pocketable camera and plan to only do daylight shots, I carry a super old Ricoh CX2 with 10x zoom around.
Another friend will only carry their iPhone 5s around daily(not a bad choice for a high quality cell phone camera,) but has a full frame monster for serious photos.

You may want to look into the Panasonic FZ200, it's got a SWEET 24x zoom lens with an aperture of f2.8 across its FULL ZOOM range, but has a small 1/2.3" sensor (same sensor size as the Q10,) is the same size as Micro4/3 cameras with 4x lenses, (ie not small,) and costs $450. Compromises, compromises.

You'll not find that nice of a lens on any superzoom from any other manufacturer.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

I vote for the Pentax. 99 out of 100 times, you'll be better off with that one for a lot of reasons, including pic quality between the two, but you'll be happy for the portability..

sbrener

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrener

The Canon will give much better range, the Pentax MX-1 will offer much higher image quality and aperture speed in the range it has. You will also do better in lower light with the MX-1. I had one like the Canon that you are talking about. I would opt for image quality of the Pentax and not trade it for the increased range of the Canon.

filetap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages filetap

This really isn't a great deal on the Q10.

It can be had new from Amazon for $228 with free shipping or open box also from amazon for $209

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009APEUHK&condition=used&me=&ref=dp-buas-used&pf_rd_p=1637026362&pf_rd_s=special-offers-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009APEUHK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14PJVACFXSXTBGMKQ91M

colinchout

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colinchout

Thanks for all useful inputs guys .
What is the memory that come with this MX-1 ? I couldn't find it in the description anywhere . Or do we need a memory card sort of ?

daviangel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daviangel
colinchout wrote:Thanks for all useful inputs guys .
What is the memory that come with this MX-1 ? I couldn't find it in the description anywhere . Or do we need a memory card sort of ?

Only has 75MB built in so you definitely want a memory card.

liltoofs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liltoofs

How do these camera differ fron the one I purchased from Woot on Sunday?

soontobepcv1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soontobepcv1

Did not expect to buy a camera today (and didn't especially need one) but I love macro photography and some of the sample shots I found on the interwebs are insane. Plus the amped up HDR mode looks like a lot of fun. And the fact that it goes down to f/1.8. Really looking forward to playing with it and getting excited about photography again.

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl

pulled the trigger!

I ordered from amazon when i found out that it was one dollar cheaper, and then i just cancelled when i found out the woot adjusted price. 199 for the q10 is the deal of the century.

thanks amazon... er... woot.