WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Does 2+2 always equal 4?
  • 67.4% - Yes, of course. 1420
  • 32.6% - No, not necessarily. Let me 'splain ... 686
2106 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Earl Wajdyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Earl Wajdyk

D, obviously!

Xntric

SDL69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SDL69

When a car has "2+2" seats, and you have 4 normal size adults, only 3 (at best!) are getting in that car.

dtierce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtierce

In the Base 4 number system, 2+2=10. In the Base 3 number system, 2+2=11.

thestone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thestone

January brings April showers, and two and two always makes up five.

jfenchel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfenchel
dtierce wrote:In the Base 4 number system, 2+2=10. In the Base 3 number system, 2+2=11.

on a similar note, I was gonna say
C) 2+2 doesn't exist
because in base 2 it doesn't

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

A mathematician, an accountant and an economist apply for the same job.

The interviewer calls in the mathematician and asks "What do two plus two equal?" The mathematician replies "Four." The interviewer asks "Four, exactly?" The mathematician looks at the interviewer incredulously and says "Yes, four, exactly."

Then the interviewer calls in the accountant and asks the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The accountant says "On average, four - give or take ten percent, but on average, four."

Then the interviewer calls in the economist and poses the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The economist gets up, locks the door, closes the shade, sits down next to the interviewer and says, "What do you want it to equal"?

cdarrel1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdarrel1

That all depends on how crooked of a book keeper you are

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

2+2 makes 4 but not 4ever. For anyone who has taken discrete math structure knows that you can prove mathematically that 2+2 does not always equal 4. Now I can go on and create the proof diagram for you but I have only 3 days of peace left before school starts again. So I'm going to enjoy no math for a while. If you do not understand discrete structures its ok, there's always a Mc Donalds nearby to apply for a job lol j/k

genefail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genefail

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2!

wolfiewooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfiewooter

No 2+2 can equal more than 4 if someone gets pregnant.......

bpfordte

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpfordte

If you add 2 apples to 2 oranges, does that equal 4 oranges or 4 apples?

DoDred

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DoDred

'nuf said!

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

This question is probably a reference to the novel 1984, in which the dystopian state's control is so complete that they can supposedly convince people that 2+2=5. Also the title of a Radiohead song.

latilga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages latilga
bpfordte wrote:If you add 2 apples to 2 oranges, does that equal 4 oranges or 4 apples?

Agreed, if you have 2 holes in the ground and 2 piles of dirt and combine them what are you left with?

gwal01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwal01

The real question is if a woodchuck could chuck wood how much wood would a woodchuck chuck when a woodchuck is chucking wood? I personaly use quantum physics logic combined with my severe apathy so I don't care what the answer is.

haserot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haserot
Starblind wrote:This question is probably a reference to the novel 1984, in which the dystopian state's control is so complete that they can supposedly convince people that 2+2=5. Also the title of a Radiohead song.

Oranges ans Lemons the bells of St. Clemens...

haserot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haserot
gwal01 wrote:The real question is if a woodchuck could chuck wood how much wood would a woodchuck chuck when a woodchuck is chucking wood?

A woodchuck would cut a cord of conifer if he had a quarter for every cord of conifer he cut.

gwal01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwal01
gwal01 wrote:The real question is if a woodchuck could chuck wood how much wood would a woodchuck chuck when a woodchuck is chucking wood? I personaly use quantum physics logic combined with my severe apathy so I don't care what the answer is.

When asked what is the difference between ignorance and apathy I always answer "I don't know and I don't care"

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

laconic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages laconic
latilga wrote:Agreed, if you have 2 holes in the ground and 2 piles of dirt and combine them what are you left with?

-2 (bodies)

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain
bpfordte wrote:If you add 2 apples to 2 oranges, does that equal 4 oranges or 4 apples?

Those are called "Orpples" and I have the patent. Cease and desist!

jlc40

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jlc40

No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
ceagee wrote:A mathematician, an accountant and an economist apply for the same job.

The interviewer calls in the mathematician and asks "What do two plus two equal?" The mathematician replies "Four." The interviewer asks "Four, exactly?" The mathematician looks at the interviewer incredulously and says "Yes, four, exactly."

Then the interviewer calls in the accountant and asks the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The accountant says "On average, four - give or take ten percent, but on average, four."

Then the interviewer calls in the economist and poses the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The economist gets up, locks the door, closes the shade, sits down next to the interviewer and says, "What do you want it to equal"?

Brilliant.

witmanfade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages witmanfade

2 of what plus 2 of what. There are no units involved with this, so we can't say for certain what we are adding equals 4. We may need to convert one unit to match the other one, and then we won't have 4 anymore as our answer.

witmanfade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages witmanfade
SDL69 wrote:When a car has "2+2" seats, and you have 4 normal size adults, only 3 (at best!) are getting in that car.

Ah, but your forget about the trunk, in a 2+2 seated car, there is almost always a one body trunk for adult #4

thestone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thestone
Starblind wrote:Also the title of a Radiohead song.

And it's a good song at that.

/shameless plug for previous post

jfenchel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfenchel
hot72chev wrote:Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

only if the rights are right

parahaps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parahaps
latilga wrote:Agreed, if you have 2 holes in the ground and 2 piles of dirt and combine them what are you left with?

It's important to convert all of your numbers to like units before doing arithmetic. 2 piles of dirt = -2 holes in the ground. And apples >> oranges, so the addition of oranges to apples is just a rounding error. You still have 2 apples at the end.

AZdeadhead

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AZdeadhead

It depends...
Are we using an early Intel Pentium?

Then the answer becomes "It depends"

willleah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages willleah

Elementary physics

dartmar

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dartmar
AZdeadhead wrote:It depends...
Are we using an early Intel Pentium?

Then the answer becomes "It depends"

ROFL I had one of those

funbobby99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funbobby99
Starblind wrote:This question is probably a reference to the novel 1984, in which the dystopian state's control is so complete that they can supposedly convince people that 2+2=5. Also the title of a Radiohead song.

Yes, #this! :D

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

Another answer is no. In fact, 2+2 can equal fish, realizing that said digits are, in fact, symbols, not necessarily meaning numbers.

BrendaAnnD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BrendaAnnD

It would depend upon the sign of the number. The absolute value of 2 is 2, but if the equation is 2 + (-2), you have 0. If it is (-2) + (-2) it is -4

Brenda Ann Dyer

marked141

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marked141

This entire question and responses is hilarious. I especially enjoyed:

laconic wrote:-2 (bodies)

Also my initial response to the question was, it depends. As many have already shown before.

pmlmrcs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmlmrcs

Not in base 3.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

I am surprised no one pointed out that 2+2 never equals 4!

Maybe I get too excited about mathematics.

Rebee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rebee

2 plus 2 pieces of pie = 1 pie. Even when you eat 2 pieces, you have 1 left. Just not as large as the original.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

Thank you Wooters, well stated reasons for doubt involved in such a staid topic. We enjoyed them very much!