WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple iPads

iPads? What are those, like diapers for your eyes? So no one knows you've been crying? Well, then SIGN ME UP! Oh wait, they're tablet computers. Huh. I would never have guessed.

joecooool

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joecooool

Guess the new batch of Apple stuff is about to be released.

theco2

quality posts: 89 Private Messages theco2
joecooool wrote:Guess the new batch of Apple stuff is about to be released.

More iCrap. Great!

I guess it just means more practically new stuff gets thrown aside, for the brand new. Consumerism at its finest.

lmaxwellb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lmaxwellb
joecooool wrote:Guess the new batch of Apple stuff is about to be released.

It already was, the new Ipad Air came out a few months ago. These are decent deals, but I think I'll pay 15% more and get a new one.

ophmarketing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ophmarketing
lmaxwellb wrote:It already was, the new Ipad Air came out a few months ago. These are decent deals, but I think I'll pay 15% more and get a new one.

Looks like these ARE new. The 4th Gen iPads are only available as refurbs on the Apple site, and the only new 1st gen Minis available from Apple are the 16 GB variant.

So if you want "new" in these configurations, this is the place to get them.

parrotice

quality posts: 6 Private Messages parrotice

So... these are the non-retina display models, right? why are these 32/64 gig, but Apple is only offering 16 gig? Are these the last few they're getting rid of (the woot ones)?

Where's the crap?

ophmarketing

parrotice wrote:So... these are the non-retina display models, right? why are these 32/64 gig, but Apple is only offering 16 gig? Are these the last few they're getting rid of (the woot ones)?

These would appear to be the left-over non-retina Minis that came out in late 2012. When Apple introduced the retina Mini this past November, they kept the non-retina 16 GB option and knocked the price down to $299 (from $329). That's the only capacity they sell for that model now. If you want a new Mini in 32, 64 or 128 GB, you have to get one of these or go retina.

pchludil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pchludil
parrotice wrote:So... these are the non-retina display models, right? why are these 32/64 gig, but Apple is only offering 16 gig? Are these the last few they're getting rid of (the woot ones)?

4th Gen iPads and iPad Mini are Retina...

32/64 v 16 - Just the old model that they have to dump somewhere. Apple would rather sell you the new one and most people wanting more storage will spend for the new one. A lot of places have these still.

Last few? Some of the last certainly as they have been replaced months ago by the iPad Air, they are the old model. But I don't know about "few" as you can still by the iPad 2 (2nd Generation) new, but why would you for the price?

ophmarketing

pchludil wrote:4th Gen iPads and iPad Mini are Retina...

32/64 v 16 - Just the old model that they have to dump somewhere. Apple would rather sell you the new one and most people wanting more storage will spend for the new one. A lot of places have these still.

Last few? Some of the last certainly as they have been replaced months ago by the iPad Air, they are the old model. But I don't know about "few" as you can still by the iPad 2 (2nd Generation) new, but why would you for the price?

Just to clarify: These Minis are NOT retina. (The iPad 4s are, though.)

soundxli

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soundxli

Apple Refurbished iPad mini with Wi-Fi 64GB - Black & Slate $419+tax and free shipping with full one year Apple warranty and eligible for AppleCare+.
Apple Refurbished iPad mini with Wi-Fi 64GB - White & Silver $419+tax and free shipping is currently out of stock but check back often as they do restock.

afwalton

quality posts: 9 Private Messages afwalton
theco2 wrote:I guess it just means more practically new stuff gets thrown aside, for the brand new. Consumerism at its finest.

Yeah, its tragic how all those newly-obsolete iPads headed toward the landfill. It's not like you can get good money for them in the aftermarket.

bigruckus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigruckus

Some of these are the 1st generation…wow..the cost of these are high…I traded my 64g 1st gen in at Target and only got $200.00 for it..I looked all over and this was the best deal going for a used one…WOOT has one for $469.00..gee..for a little extra you can buy a new one..

Bigruckus

corvettejoe

quality posts: 26 Private Messages corvettejoe

I absolutely love my iPad mini. I had the 16gb version, which I gave to my wife and got the new 32GB Mini Retina when it came out. It's a stunning piece of hardware (and I'm NOT an apple fan).

If you are going to do a lot of reading on the mini (and it's the PERFECT size for reading IMO), I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Retina model. While I had about 8+ months of solid reading on mine, books, magazines, PDFs manuals, etc... once I got the Retina model, it was a night and day difference, especially with PDF magazines. Also, all my ebooks were MUCH crisper. The newer Retina model is also WAAYYY faster too. The iPad Mini is based off the iPad2, the new Mini Retina is based off the iPad Air. I had a few large photo portfolio apps that would take forever to load and sometimes crash and give memory errors on the old mini...on the new one, they opened right up and worked with zero issues and way faster.

Just some food for thought.

I won't knock the old mini, its still a GREAT tablet, and my wife loves it very much.

ginbak

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ginbak
bigruckus wrote:Some of these are the 1st generation…wow..the cost of these are high…I traded my 64g 1st gen in at Target and only got $200.00 for it..I looked all over and this was the best deal going for a used one…WOOT has one for $469.00..gee..for a little extra you can buy a new one..

The 1st gen mini was the latest generation before the retina display (there are only 2 generations of minis). These aren't that old.

I love my 1st gen mini.

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

I love the main product photo: With these expensive electronic devices you can... see stuff that's immediately in front of you?

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
Starblind wrote:I love the main product photo: With these expensive electronic devices you can... see stuff that's immediately in front of you?

Yeah! And look how much clearer it is! See the world around you in HD!

msfulcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msfulcher

I suppose these are decent prices if you're determined to buy a "new" model. (By "new" I mean not used or refurbished, but it's technically not new since it is the older model) If you are ok with a refurbished model with the same warranty, you can save at least another 15%. eg, ipad mini wi-fi 32GB refurbished is only $340 instead of this price of $400.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

These are NOT good deals. I bought two used but MINT condition 3rd Gen Ipads (retina display with slightly slower processor and 30-pin connector) on CL from local owners and got to use and inspect each prior to paying. Bought a 32GB WiFi 3rd Gen for $300 and 32GB Wifi+Cellular 3rd Gen for $325. No way I'd spend $200+ more to get a 4th gen. If you want/need to be on iOS right now the 3rd Gen iPad offers the best bang for the buck.

nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake

I have the "old" mini and love it. I carry it in my purse. I got my first iPad, the original, from WOOT and it is still going so strong that I can't justify retiring it. Sure, there's no camera, and I can't update the iOS any longer, but those are minor inconveniences. As far as I can tell, it's going to live forever!

callmemissouri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages callmemissouri

Is it just me or was there a time way back when, when refurbished and barely discounted iPads used to sell out by noon?

Oh how the Mighty have fallen.

shareef777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shareef777
callmemissouri wrote:Is it just me or was there a time way back when, when refurbished and barely discounted iPads used to sell out by noon?

Oh how the Mighty have fallen.

It's not the product, it's the pricing woot has. It's pathetic to say the least. If someone was willing to take last years model for a $70 savings I'd suggest going after Apple's refurbs for an additional $80 savings.

wdsims63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdsims63
corvettejoe wrote:
The iPad Mini is based off the iPad2, the new Mini Retina is based off the iPad Air. I had a few large photo portfolio apps that would take forever to load and sometimes crash and give memory errors on the old mini...on the new one, they opened right up and worked with zero issues and way faster.

Just some food for thought.

I won't knock the old mini, its still a GREAT tablet, and my wife loves it very much.

Technically, the mini is a completely new design, not based on the iPad 2, and the new iPad Air is a larger version of the mini's design.
Like you said though, the mini is still great.

scads

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scads

You can get the 32gb 4th generation iPad with some crappy 'free' accessories on Walmart's website for $499 and free shipping.

These deals are pretty sad.

mikej2754

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikej2754

i didnt think the ipad2 supported 4g cellular? only the ipad air?

dgloff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgloff
kcmark wrote:These are NOT good deals. I bought two used but MINT condition 3rd Gen Ipads (retina display with slightly slower processor and 30-pin connector) on CL from local owners and got to use and inspect each prior to paying. Bought a 32GB WiFi 3rd Gen for $300 and 32GB Wifi+Cellular 3rd Gen for $325. No way I'd spend $200+ more to get a 4th gen. If you want/need to be on iOS right now the 3rd Gen iPad offers the best bang for the buck.

The 3rd gen is not "slightly" slower--it's the slowest-operating of all 5 generations (7 generations counting the minis) because it had to drive 4x the pixels of the previous generation with only double the horsepower. That's why it was so short-lived--8 months from introduction to being discontinued--and why they're available so cheap now.

So while I do think the screen was a worthy tradeoff vs. the faster-operating iPad2 and I skipped the upgrade to the 4, if I had it to do over I would have waited for the 4 and there's no way in hell I'd buy a 3rd gen now.

wdsims63 wrote:Technically, the mini is a completely new design, not based on the iPad 2, and the new iPad Air is a larger version of the mini's design.
Like you said though, the mini is still great.

From a hardware perspective, the Mini is absolutely based on the iPad2. Same processor, memory, GPU, screen resolution, etc. The size, design of the case, and cellular radios (if so equipped) were new, but the basic guts are iPad2 all the way.

mikej2754 wrote:i didnt think the ipad2 supported 4g cellular? only the ipad air?

iPad 3, 4, and Air support LTE, along with both generations of Mini.

willoneal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages willoneal
dgloff wrote:iPad 3, 4, and Air support LTE, along with both generations of Mini.

Agree with those above, they are not good deals. The refurbished section of http://store.apple.com has them cheaper!

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
willoneal wrote:Agree with those above, they are not good deals. The refurbished section of http://store.apple.com has them cheaper!

@willoneal, you might wish these were priced lower, but "them" as you say is not apples to apples.

Those apples @ the Apple Refurb page are refurbs whilst these apples are new. And the iPad "Clearance" section over there currently has zero iPads.

Not that I have anything against real Apple-performed refurbishment. I believe at a minimum they replace the cases and batteries.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

Copied from the 128GB iPad deal comments...

bluemaple wrote:Don't underestimate the handiness of the model with included cellular data "4G" radio.

1) No contract required - you could never turn on a data plan if you wanted.
2) You can turn the cellular data on and off at will, from the iPad itself without calling AT&T. And you do not need to be wifi connected.
3) If you are on a legacy smartphone plan, tethering an iPad to it might not be available. (AT&T's way to jerk you off the legacy plan)
4) These are very handy navigational/traveling tools with the larger screen. Note only the cell data models have GPS.
5) AT&T currently offers some pretty flexible short term plans: (you'd be surprised how far 250MB goes - we've done 1500 mile trips with 3 NAV apps running and stayed within)

250 MB, 1-day - $5
250 MB, 30 days - $14.99
1 GB, 3 months - $25 (our favorite for the summer)
3 GB, 30 days - $30 (these are only needed if you do a lot of streaming)
5 GB, 30 days - $50

The 1st and 3rd plans do not autorenew. The other plans autorenew, but you can go in immediately after turning them on and cancel the autorenew.

rsteele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsteele

Has anyone gotten their IPad yet? Mine is not even showing up in stuff I bought. I have emailed support but that was about 4 or 5 days ago. That is pretty bad that you don't get a response back in that amount of time.

manhandsha

quality posts: 40 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

rsteele wrote:Has anyone gotten their IPad yet? Mine is not even showing up in stuff I bought. I have emailed support but that was about 4 or 5 days ago. That is pretty bad that you don't get a response back in that amount of time.

Sorry you haven't heard back. I've passed your info along; you should get a response soon.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.