WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Google Nexus 7 16GB or 32GB (Gen 2)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 48.999s
First Sucker:
nd2
Last Wooter to Woot:
sysilion
Last Purchase:
11 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 41% of Woot.com Woots
Top 23% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 12% of Woot.com Woots
Top 9% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 34% first woot
  • 10% second woot
  • 23% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 17% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 28% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 12% one year old
  • 59% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
3%
2%
1%
1%
1%
4%
5%
8%
6%
7%
7%
6%
6%
4%
6%
4%
4%
5%
4%
4%
3%
2%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]


Google Nexus 7 16GB or 32GB (Gen 2)
Price: $189.99 - 219.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Monday, Jan 13 to Thursday, Jan 16) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

lichme


quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

minrice2099


quality posts: 2 Private Messages minrice2099

I know there are probably reviews like this all over, but I figured one more person's experience couldn't hurt.

I picked up the 32GB version about four months ago (start of the semester) both as a textbook replacement and just to have a mobile device (I've only ever had a dumb phone, and I'm a programming student looking to get into Android and web development), and I absolutely loved it. It has good battery life, good power, a descent camera, and a good screen. It's a well-rounded, all-in-one package for a very reasonable price. About the only thing it's missing is an SD slot of some kind, but you can supplement it with the proper usb dongles.

That said, the cheap price comes at the cost of manufacturing quality. I exchanged my first one within two weeks because one of the speakers buzzed very noticeably at certain frequencies (not secured properly to the case). A month ago, it just stopped working (stuck on the Google boot screen). I tried resetting it, flashing back to the Google factory image; nothing worked. I finally sent it in to ASUS (the RMA process was fairly painless) and am waiting for it to come back.

So while it's a great device, it's not as great for dependability. But, if you're not worried about possibly having to send it in, I wholly recommend it as a small-form tablet. Hopefully these refurbs have the initial kinks taken care of.

robio


quality posts: 42 Private Messages robio

I'm typing on this exact model right now, and I absolutely love it. The model had a few bugs in the early days, but the only one I've experienced is the occasional spontaneous reboot. It has happened about once a month. Oh, I did have multi touch issues once, but (deliberate) reboot fixed that.

However, I once bought a refurbished tablet and it died in 9 months. So I'd suggest the extended warranty.

But by the time you're done paying for that, you're within a couple bucks of MSRP. So you might as well buy a brand new one, which COMES with a one year warranty.

But as far as the tablet itself goes, I think its the best small tab on the market. The two gigs of RAM really makes a difference in performance, I find.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com and "excellent" review over at cnet

dyip32


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dyip32

I feel it's unfortunate that some simple video out solution want built into the Nexus line. Most methods I have come across require since sort of hack and/or extra hardware/software.

goldnectar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldnectar

I too am typing on this very model. It is the first tablet I've purchased and I love it. I got the 32 gig for 220 at staples during the black Friday sales. My friend bought this tablet a few days back at best buy for 230, I believe. If this sale is for refurbs, I would recommend hunting around for a deal. You will either find a new one for the same price or a little more expensive, but with a better warranty.

wickedme91


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wickedme91

I don't have a second gen - but I do own a 1st gen one since the day it came out. I got it since it was cheap and I liked the idea of a smaller device for reading (compared to my my iPad 3 - now the Air). I have found it to be a tank - dropped, dragged etc. Still working as well as a Tegra 3 device can be.
Love it and would upgrade probably to the next gen. I expect the second gen to be as well made.

That said, I don't think its a good price. Staples usually have $50 off coupons (so ends up as $180 + tax) and you get a new one too.

Woot deals are getting crappier by the year. Looks like 2014 is gonna continue the trip down the drain.

mollytim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollytim

Pricing clearly excessive for refurbs. Pricing typical of Woot 2.0

Right now = $ 199 2nd gen 16GB,,,Brand New! @ Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-nexus-7-16gb-black/1484847.p?id=1219052238174&skuId=1484847&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1484847&extensionType={adtype}:{network}&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!{keyword}!{matchtype}!{adwords_producttargetid}!{network}!{ifmobile:M}!{creative}&kpid=1484847&k_clickid=3f6cf59d-06ce-25e9-2bb1-00001c96c8ef

PReed4962


quality posts: 2 Private Messages PReed4962

And the Best Buy deal came with a $25 Google Play credit.....

shakinjake


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shakinjake

I bought two of these for X-Mass presents (wife and her Aunt). I already owned and have been using a Surface Tablet for a few months leading up to the end of 2013

Comparing the 10" Surface to the 7" Google Nexus, I like the portability of the 7" screen but there are times the 10" is nicer for reading

Heck, get both!=:-)

As to the pricing question...the current woot does seem high although it is off the retail price of new, just not enough for most wooters here and I'd have to agree

I looked at the remaned gen 1 woot was offering before X-Mass and thought that price was high compared to what a new gen 2 was going for but if you want one and don't mind paying the asking price here, it is a nice tablet

Some have mentioned glitches with the gen 1 and gen 2 Google Nexus. I've had my Surface lock up once already, remedied by touching the windows icon and the start button simultaneously...I may have had to use multiple taps on both to get it to restart

Back to the Google Nexus 7 tablet. From the use I've had with it the past two weeks (I added myself as a user on my wife's tablet), for those on the fence thinking of getting one of these...go for it, it's a nice bit of kit. It's faster than the Surface, more apps are available for it if you're into that sort of thing. I'm a bit of a low tech user wanting a tablet mainly to read mail, surf a little bit

If I had a gripe, there aren't any covers available for this tablet to speak of as of yet (gen2), at least the last time I looked several days back. I'd prefer a silicone type cover like I have on my windows phone...something cheap and cheerful that would protect the frame in a minor fall with a hard floor. others may have better and different ideas

chrisautrey


quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
jamesonbirrell wrote:I don't want to agree with the comments like this... but it's hard. Remember when woot! was WOOT!



. . . and remember when they sold stuff that worked?

. . . and remember when they used to ship everywhere and not cut out places like APO addresses on a huge number of shipments?

I have to agree with you and others. I pulled my order history for all of last year and I found a grand total of 7 things where I used to get a whole lot more.

Of those, the refurb tablet was so bad it died immediately after the 90 day warranty, one was canceled because they could not ship it, the blue-ray player didn't work out of the box (refunded), one was a media player that was such a piece of junk it failed after one charge, and another order took over 2 months to show up in the mail.

The pricing has been a huge driver in the lack of wanting to purchase things.

scotrinaf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotrinaf

I own two of these, paid $269 retail for each of the 32gb's I have. I love them and highly recommend them as an inexpensive alternative to the iPad...

Harpo


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo

Have had mine for many months. I use it heavily. It still has spurious re-boots about once a day.
Has the most recent kitkat 4.2.2

gtcharlie


quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie

Just want to agree with what everyone else is posting have two of these tablets and love them. But the pricing here for a refurbished product is just to high. Especially given the return policy here. As a long time wooter I hate to say it but do your self a favor and shop around.

jgiannon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgiannon
gtcharlie wrote:Just want to agree with what everyone else is posting have two of these tablets and love them. But the pricing here for a refurbished product is just to high. Especially given the return policy here. As a long time wooter I hate to say it but do your self a favor and shop around.



I would agree, I got a refurb 2nd GEN 16GB for $155 a couple of months ago.

Ezpcconcepts


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezpcconcepts

I am forced to agree with other here. I have been here since 2004, bought many refurbished items without issue. Before the transition I had 1 refurbished hard drive DOA and the old WOOT took care of it almost immediately. To compare to todays experiences, I order 4 of those solar powered spot lights, they were cheap, about $3 a piece I believe. The box came with only 2. Like someone else here this time the response has been none. Now granted it has been the holiday and Woot is no longer a diamond in the ruff and more people know about it so there is a greater volume of activity and fortunately or not it shows in the pricing and the service. Now you have multiple vendors selling via Woot, you no longer are dealing with Woot only. In the past if you had a problem and Woot had no more of an item they refunded your money immediately. Today you get "we are contacting the vendor" message followed by "the item is no longer available" only to see it pop up again 4 days later on another section of Woot... Clearly an indication to me Woot is now a portal instead of a direct vendor. I understand all this, I am not knocking it, that is capitalism and I am a supporter of it. Great for Amazon [who now owns Woot if you did not know] I agree but for us die hard Wooters it is not what brought us here in the beginning and had us coming back every single day in the early hours of the AM to see and get that great deal before its gone has is now also gone... Thank you Original Woot for all the great times... you will be missed.


[MOD: Sorry for the delay. I'll let CS know of your concern.]

Brihen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brihen
jgiannon wrote:I would agree, I got a refurb 2nd GEN 16GB for $155 a couple of months ago.



I also agree, I am battling Woot regarding returning a POS Belkin router I bought. It took too long to hear back from them and the process has just started. I am going to do my research on line and buy from a store when I can, as far as electronics are concerned.

beakman71


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beakman71

What (if any) warranty is there?

jrstinkfish


quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish

Not the best deal in the world (depends on the warranty), but the 32GB is still $40 less than the Best Buy version, and the 32GB is what you want -- the 16GB comes with only 10GB free storage space, and there is no SD card slot.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

beakman71 wrote:What (if any) warranty is there?


Warranty is 90 day Asus. It's listed at the bottom of the features.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

brandonmiller21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandonmiller21
ctt329 wrote:bought this nexus 7 16gb 2nd gen brand new for 179 last week @ office depot........so 189 for a refurb..



Just saw it on Amazon as well NEW for $20 less and free shipping...White Tundra Frost

Dibbler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dibbler

Specs say: 5 MP Rear Camera with Auto focuswith Auto focus
Auto focus (rear)

So I'm wondering if this this has any kind of auto focus built in? :P

Bag O' Crap III


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bag O' Crap III

Fabulous tablet (I have the 32g version). Not a great deal. As many others have noted, brand new, not refurb for only a few dollars more.

Also agree that Amazon is tanking Woot.

tattooedbear


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear

Why do you need reviews? You all know what this is. Buy it now, you silly rabbits!

reom76


quality posts: 1 Private Messages reom76
PReed4962 wrote:And the Best Buy deal came with a $25 Google Play credit.....



I bought the 16GB for $199 at Best Buy just last week. I found out after the fact that it was supposed to come with the $25 Play credit (found an article mentioning the promo which was dated a few days before my purchase). bought it in store and nobody said anything about the credit. Sort of off topic but was that an online only deal? Is there any way for me to get my hands on the credit at this point?

bjfranck


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfranck

Best Buy:
Best Buy


$199 with Free Shipping New

bowlingb


quality posts: 22 Private Messages bowlingb
reom76 wrote:I bought the 16GB for $199 at Best Buy just last week. I found out after the fact that it was supposed to come with the $25 Play credit (found an article mentioning the promo which was dated a few days before my purchase). bought it in store and nobody said anything about the credit. Sort of off topic but was that an online only deal? Is there any way for me to get my hands on the credit at this point?



Check your receipt. There should be a code printed on it for the credit if your purchase qualified.

Robb969


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Robb969
minrice2099 wrote:
I picked up the 32GB version about four months ago (start of the semester) both as a textbook replacement and just to have a mobile device (I've only ever had a dumb phone, and I'm a programming student looking to get into Android and web development), and I absolutely loved it. It has good battery life, good power, a descent camera, and a good screen. It's a well-rounded, all-in-one package for a very reasonable price. About the only thing it's missing is an SD slot of some kind, but you can supplement it with the proper usb dongles.



Check out meenova. They have a really nice Micro SD reader that you'd probably like.



So while it's a great device, it's not as great for dependability. But, if you're not worried about possibly having to send it in, I wholly recommend it as a small-form tablet. Hopefully these refurbs have the initial kinks taken care of.



I'm sorry to hear you had problems with your device(s)! I've personally had 1 since September (Lost it... SIGH) through December, and then have a 2nd one (Returned it to Best Buy since they wouldn't post-facto price match Office Depot) and a 3rd one that I currently am using. All 3 were rock solid. But hey, that's just me. I also had a 1st gen for around a year that was awesome.

scubalab


quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
bjfranck wrote:Best Buy:
Best Buy


$199 with Free Shipping New



Wow, just wow - on the better deals than Woot lately. Why ANYONE would pay $194.99 for this refurb on Woot especially with all the problems others had on the first gen refurbs Woot has had recently, and apparent total lack of responses by Woot. It's a NO BRAINER to get the new one with a full warranty at BB for only $5.00 more.

Sorry Woot for venting and pointing out the plethora of fails as of late. I still love the (now very RARE) bargain to be had here, but they are becoming much fewer and farther between. Such a shame.

Also, I noticed that in the past mods like TT used to try to answer complaints, and often times match or beat other prices. Lately, their hands must be tied. I understand that and don't expect responses anymore. Just wishful thinking I guess. We still love ya TT and other mods!

But, as long as people continue to buy from Woot(-azon) even at the terrible prices, why would Woot lower the prices?

Noticed a lot of posts deleted today, and the only posts responded to by mods were a cut/paste reply to all those complaining of lacks of responses saying 'sorry for the delay...'

As for the Nexus 7? We have two new gen 1 nexus 7's and love them. Fast, crisp, responsive, and updated to Kit-Kat! Buy them with confidence... just buy them elsewhere for a better deal!

priyeshsharma


quality posts: 0 Private Messages priyeshsharma

I know a lot of people are disappointed with their purchases above, but for anyone who is considering buying this, I'll just let you know my experience.

I got the 32GB Nexus 7 when it was up for offer about a month ago (same price deal as this one), and my experience has been pretty good. The tab arrived in a non-original box, but was packaged securely. The physical condition of both the tab and the charger was brand new, and I've had no problems so far with it. There is no problem with the software or battery life, everything seems as new.

Considering all this, I think the 32GB model is still a decent deal I feel, as you do save up about 40$, and I wasn't able to find a better deal at that point.

YMMV, but just wanted to let you all know my experience.

codex24


quality posts: 1 Private Messages codex24
Bag O' Crap III wrote:Fabulous tablet (I have the 32g version). Not a great deal...

Also agree that Amazon is tanking Woot.



I have to agreee with the sentiment that Woot is going downhill in the past year or so. Too many items, though I haven't had issues with service or product quality.

Re: the Nexus 7 2013, I have a 32G model updated to Kitkat 4.4.2 that I love. The screen res, rear camera, and better performance due to extra RAM over the 2012 model make it stand out.

One issue that I have not seen mentioned here is that for some reason, the Netflix app does not work on this tablet. (see here for example). Apparently it does for some, and not others. I reported this to Netflix, and spent several hours on the phone escallating to their L3 support, the final result was that they suggest I keep trying and wait for an update. It has been 2 months no no joy.

bdwright2012


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdwright2012

I've had good experiences with refurbished equipment. There's more scrutiny when it comes to quality control.

minrice2099 wrote:I know there are probably reviews like this all over, but I figured one more person's experience couldn't hurt.

I picked up the 32GB version about four months ago (start of the semester) both as a textbook replacement and just to have a mobile device (I've only ever had a dumb phone, and I'm a programming student looking to get into Android and web development), and I absolutely loved it. It has good battery life, good power, a descent camera, and a good screen. It's a well-rounded, all-in-one package for a very reasonable price. About the only thing it's missing is an SD slot of some kind, but you can supplement it with the proper usb dongles.

That said, the cheap price comes at the cost of manufacturing quality. I exchanged my first one within two weeks because one of the speakers buzzed very noticeably at certain frequencies (not secured properly to the case). A month ago, it just stopped working (stuck on the Google boot screen). I tried resetting it, flashing back to the Google factory image; nothing worked. I finally sent it in to ASUS (the RMA process was fairly painless) and am waiting for it to come back.

So while it's a great device, it's not as great for dependability. But, if you're not worried about possibly having to send it in, I wholly recommend it as a small-form tablet. Hopefully these refurbs have the initial kinks taken care of.



russwjohns


quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns

Hmmm... Only 4-5 months since the debut of this item for retail and already plenty of refurbs. Nice screen but...

freemrhello


quality posts: 0 Private Messages freemrhello
beakman71 wrote:What (if any) warranty is there?



90 day by woot but if you have a problem get in touch with ASUS, NOT woot.

http://www.service.asus.com/#!rma-request/cope

demon00689


quality posts: 10 Private Messages demon00689
priyeshsharma wrote:I know a lot of people are disappointed with their purchases above, but for anyone who is considering buying this, I'll just let you know my experience.

I got the 32GB Nexus 7 when it was up for offer about a month ago (same price deal as this one), and my experience has been pretty good. The tab arrived in a non-original box, but was packaged securely. The physical condition of both the tab and the charger was brand new, and I've had no problems so far with it. There is no problem with the software or battery life, everything seems as new.

Considering all this, I think the 32GB model is still a decent deal I feel, as you do save up about 40$, and I wasn't able to find a better deal at that point.

YMMV, but just wanted to let you all know my experience.



+1 on this. I purchased a 32GB from a prior woot sale and have been satisfied with it.

chrisautrey


quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
freemrhello wrote:90 day by woot but if you have a problem get in touch with ASUS, NOT woot.

http://www.service.asus.com/#!rma-request/cope



Based on my experience with my Transformer TF300, that would be enough to break the deal right there. Asus warranty support in the US has gone to crap.

jayc17


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayc17

I'd probably be willing to go for this deal, factory refurbished and all. From what I hear, the Gen 2 is much more stable than the Gen 1.

It would have to be. The Gen 1 I got from woot was a brick. The customer service sent me an email to an unhelpful tutorial and hasn't emailed me back in days. If I knew the status of the Gen 1, I would likely get this one, even if it was just an extra.

jvspencer


quality posts: 10 Private Messages jvspencer

regarding Office Max 32gb:

Ships In: Item is sold out online. Please check your local OfficeMax store for availability.