zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2693 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

Wake-Up Lights! (Your Choice)
Price: $69.99 - 89.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 13 to Tuesday, Jan 14) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

ghyffrey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ghyffrey

My wife uses the right model (HF3740) all the time. The light from the lamp slowly builds (like a rising sun), so it doesn't scare you awake.

It's really annoying how it wakes me up too. ;)

ajfoster470

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajfoster470

The drop down selection says HF-3470 and the pic of it shows HF-3740. I believe the dropdown selection should say HF3740.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

Seriously? $70-$90 for an alarm clock? Madness.

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick

ajfoster470

ajfoster470 wrote:The drop down selection says HF-3470 and the pic of it shows HF-3740. I believe the dropdown selection should say HF3740.

Nevermind, the photo captions are the wrong ones. They all should read HF3470 instead of HF3740, my bad.

Parkertron

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Parkertron

Can anybody comment on how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me? I sleep in a blacked out room and try to keep any light to a minimum. The notification light on my phone is about it.

namorama

quality posts: 32 Private Messages namorama
thumperchick wrote:So, it's like the sun, but costs money?

And it lights up on the dot, unlike the sun.

Seriously though, don't knock it until you try it. Have the HF3740, and without it, I DO have a harder time getting up. I say it works very well.

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

shadowknight125

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shadowknight125

I have the HF3510 and it is awesome. I'm not the type of person to spend that much money on something as simple as a clock but the simulated sunrise and sounds makes for such a gentle way to wake up that it is worth every penny. About 30 min before your alarm goes off the light turns on (very very dim) and progressively brightens to whatever setting you put it on (it can light up a small room with ease). Additionally, Right before your alarm is set to go off the music or nature sounds will slowly start to increase in volume. I've had mine for about a year now and I've never regretted it.

JTMc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JTMc
Parkertron wrote:Can anybody comment on how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me? I sleep in a blacked out room and try to keep any light to a minimum. The notification light on my phone is about it.

I don't think they omit any light. They give all the light they can. None is left out.

manfrin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages manfrin

Blarg. I bought one of these a couple months ago for $125 (the round one).

It's neat, light gets very, very bright. Menu/controls are a bit confusing, so this wouldn't be good for older non-technology people. I have yet to use it without my phone alarm, mainly because I am a bit paranoid about sleeping through it, but I have no doubt it could work. When I have used it, and when it has woken me up before my alarm, the wake up was much nicer than an abrupt alarm -- your body reacts to the light by naturally waking up.

ajfoster470

Parkertron wrote:Can anybody comment on how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me? I sleep in a blacked out room and try to keep any light to a minimum. The notification light on my phone is about it.

I have the small circle one in a blacked out room as I work night shift and sleep during the day. I have it on top of a dresser across the room, and it puts out very little light from the digital readout. It usually wakes me up before it gets to full brightness, which can be adjusted on personal preference. I'm kind of on the fence on it's effectiveness, but that is because it is so hard to establish a sleep pattern on night shift. It works for some of my friends, which is why I tried it. I bought mine from Amazon for less last year.

djkid1974

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djkid1974

Exactly the same question I had! I too sleep in a blacked out room. I have a Soleil which is about the same as the ones here and it's like having a night light on all the time. The LED display light is so freakin bright and has no adjustment. I have no experience with the Philips models though. Being kept awake by light is not what I want!

SethB

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SethB

Does its light (either of them) include the magic blue awakeness frequency?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3165 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out the product page for the HF3470 and the HF3510

and great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) on the HF3470 over at walmart.com and solid reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) on the HF3510 over at costco.com

bigmurali

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigmurali
JTMc wrote:I don't think they omit any light. They give all the light they can. None is left out.

I know it is not right, but LOL, can't stop.

blinkyfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blinkyfish

I have the taller model. Been using it for about a year. Honestly, I love it, but there are a few things I'm willing to ignore. First, you can't adjust the snooze interval. I might be wrong, but I think it's 9 minutes. You hit snooze by gently whacking the unit...after a long night this is easier said than done. It's also pretty tall. If I were to do this over again I'd probably get the smaller rounder one. I wake up to the bird noises, which is pleasant. Something else I've come to appreciate is being able to have two alarm presets. I use one for weekdays and the other for weekends. Works great.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I actually asked the buyer to consider these. I have the tall one AND LOVE IT!

We know that sun/light helps us wake up but if you have to get up before the sun, you're out of luck.

I was pondering a floor lamp on a timer and decided to google wake-up lights and found this.

I have it set for 5am at level 2 brightness. At about 4:30, the light starts gently brightening. Once I'm awake, the light helps my body wake up and helps keep me from wanting to go back to sleep (so much).

I don't use the alarm part because I'm hooked on the Sleep Time app on my iPhone.

I also like the orange LED lights. So much easier to read than red or blue. Who knew?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ciscoc80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciscoc80

The 2nd video clip for the light is not for the 3470 model. The video clip states that it has 4 sounds and a usb connection when this model does not. Just a heads up ... here is the product page for 3470

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/light-therapy/hf3470_60/prd/en/;jsessionid=5657743E4FD11252182D27D5E0C28D6A.app120-drp2

thienkim

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thienkim

Which one is better? I see one uses halogen lamp and the other uses LED.

Any opinions?

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

ajfoster470 wrote:Nevermind, the photo captions are the wrong ones. They all should read HF3470 instead of HF3740, my bad.

Passed this along, thanks!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

I have Moonbeam alarm clock.
It lights-- gently flashes --and starts low, gets brighter- for awhile and then an alarm goes off after a bit. Light always gently wakes me first. Has a nice snooze button too ;-) It's only $49 .

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy
ThunderThighs wrote:I actually asked the buyer to consider these. I have the tall one AND LOVE IT!

We know that sun/light helps us wake up but if you have to get up before the sun, you're out of luck.

I was pondering a floor lamp on a timer and decided to google wake-up lights and found this.

I have it set for 5am at level 2 brightness. At about 4:30, the light starts gently brightening. Once I'm awake, the light helps my body wake up and helps keep me from wanting to go back to sleep (so much).

I don't use the alarm part because I'm hooked on the Sleep Time app on my iPhone.

I also like the orange LED lights. So much easier to read than red or blue. Who knew?

Thanks for the review! You totally sold me. Hopefully this will lift some of the burden of waking up at 6am.

Done and done! ;)

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12
djkid1974 wrote:Exactly the same question I had! I too sleep in a blacked out room. I have a Soleil which is about the same as the ones here and it's like having a night light on all the time. The LED display light is so freakin bright and has no adjustment. I have no experience with the Philips models though. Being kept awake by light is not what I want!

You can adjust the brightness of the LEDs on the display at 4 different levels. I have mine at level 4 (the highest) and it is not bright at all. That, and the numbers on the LED display are, what I would describe, a soft orange glow.

chungfoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chungfoon

Radio reception is good even in the basement. Too bad it only has FM.

chungfoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chungfoon

Halogen lights get hot and need to be replaced. Better to get the LEDs.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

I didn't know my temporary roommate was logged in and had mistakenly posted this review under hs account. Here it is again under my own account:

---------

I have the short round one. Bought as an Amazon Goldbox special for $59. I've had it for a year and am still not sure if the claims of a better wakeup are true or not. Here are some thoughts:

Pros
1) LEDs are amazingly bright at Level 20. And the color is a warmish yellow, not harsh white. There is no way I could have known that it's not incandescent. I usually have it set at 14 or so, just so that I can see things comfortably. At 20, the entire room is lit. MY guess is that it's equivalent to a 60 or 75 watt incandescent bulb. I believe it consumes about 15 watts.
2) LED clock is nice. FInally, a clock that uses LEDs instead of LCD. Backlit LCD displays have a very limited viewing angle. This dot matrix display has 4 levels and is easy to read at every angle.
3) Alarm chime (music) is soothing. So are the 2 nature sounds.
4) Radio is pretty good for a monaural unit. FM only though.
5) Front controls are motion activated. Once our fingers get near, they activate.

CONS
1) Buttons are HORRIBLY small, and hard to find. They're located around the perimeter of the clock, with no labels. I almost never find the light on/off button on first try. I usually hit the hi/lo dimmer buttons instead.
2) Phillips left out a very obvious function: Sleeping to the nature sounds. YOu can sleep to a slowly dimming light, but not to sounds. That means i can't replace a sound machine to help you sleep.
3) For a device that lists for about $150, the choice of sounds is very limited at 2. And the 2 choices sound very similar. Even a $10 sound machine on eBay offers 5+ sounds
4) YOu only have 1 alarm. I can get a $40 clock radio that has his/her alarms, and even 7 alarms for each day of the week.

I do wake up to this but can't verify that the slow 30 min wakeup light is especially beneficial. For me, the most useful thing about it is the bright LED light. It's almost always on at about 5 so that my bedroom is never dark. And then raised up to 14-20 when I'm in bed. At 20, it's bright enough to replace the normal room light. LED light bulbs are still pretty expensive and my guess is that much of the cost of the round model is due to the light.

sdc100

I can only speak for the short model. There are 4 clock display levels. At 1, it's so dim that you can't see it in a lit room. ONe great feature of the clock is that no matter how dim you set the clock, it goes to maximum level 4 whenever you bring your hand close to adjust any setting, i.e. alarm. After your hand leaves, it goes back to the brightness level you've set the clock.

I'll try to take a photo of the clock to post but I think Level 1 is too dim to be photgraphed.

jollyrajr

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jollyrajr

In for the circular disc shaped one-- it's replacing a working Hammacher Schlemmer unit that I've hoisted up above the bed (I sleep on my side, so it's too easy to miss it if I'm sleeping with my back to the light..)..

I love the dawn simulator I have thus far, this can only be better. (The HS unit has soothing sounds for sleep and wake.. too repetitive, my brain picked out the pattern.. never used them.. never used the "aromatic beads" with it.. they smelled chemically and it just never did anything for me.. and, I cut the speaker out of mine so it wouldn't go beep beep beep at max volume at the end of the light sequence..).. This new unit appears to have enough separate controls that I won't have to worry about that.. I don't bother with a snooze button on the light simulator, either-- I just let it run its course and auto-shut off.. As a guy who has tried a dozen or more alarm clocks and pillows, I can say the dawn simulator has worked the best.. (The Zeo brainwave reading unit was a close second, but the head sensor become cumbersome and I didn't like that they become unusable after about 90 days.. That's an expensive alarm clock!).. Wouldn't wake up without one of these clocks..

brentharris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentharris

Hate to post this here, but seems this is the only place Woot actually monitors/responds....

Placed an order on 12/17 for three items. On 12/18, received shipment notification email (listing all items, single tracking number). On 12/24 received said package but with only ONE of the three items.

...snipped....

[MOD: I'm sorry for the delayed response. I'll email CS to let them know of your concerns. Thank you for your patience.]

sdc100

thumperchick wrote:So, it's like the sun, but costs money?

You can't rely on the sun to wake up for work. We live in NYC and the sun is very dim on Winter mornings due to all the buildings. Other variables include the time of year and weather. And many people don't wake up at sunrise. Thunderthigh's college aged son, for example, may want to sleep until 10am with the curtains closed.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12

I sleep and wake up much better now that I didn't buy this product. And by taking the $100.00 or so dollars I saved and keeping it under my pillow I sleep like a baby. My blood pressure has even dropped as I chuckle myself into a deep restful sleep each night thinking of those folks lining up to fork over almost $100.00 for a product that's worth about $5.00.

sdc100

badhabit12 wrote:I sleep and wake up much better now that I didn't buy this product. And by taking the $100.00 or so dollars I saved and keeping it under my pillow I sleep like a baby. My blood pressure has even dropped as I chuckle myself into a deep restful sleep each night thinking of those folks lining up to fork over almost $100.00 for a product that's worth about $5.00.

Worth $5? I challenge you to find me a dimmable 300 lumen LED bulb (in my case, equivalent to a 75 watt incandescent bulb) for $5. Heck, I challenge you to find me such a bulb for $15. Dude, LED technology is still expensive which is why most homes have not converted to them yet.

And as a neuro researcher, I can tell you that at least some of Phillips' claims are based on sound science. What $5 device slowly wakes you up like this device?

sdc100

MODS...
The Description states:

"In addition to FM radio stations, the Wake-Up Light can also wake you with a pre-programmed nature sound (model HF3470 features 2 nature sounds, model HF3510 features 3 nature sounds)"

That's not correct. WHile the HF3510 (the short round one) does have 3 wake up sounds, only two are Nature Sounds. The first choice is musical chimes. The other two are bird sounds and very similar.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

A few things I want to add in addition to my post above:

- The chirping birds and the bells sounds are repetitive. This has caused me to use the regular alarm sound. This is not a deal-breaker to me.

- When I initially bought this on amazon last spring, I was deciding between the halogen version and the LED version. After reading several reviews for both, I decided to go for the halogen version because: 1) I read that the light from the LED version is directional and if it's not pointed toward your face, it's not as effective, and 2) if the LED goes out, you're screwed, whereas if the halogen bulb goes out, real simple to replace.

essay2u

quality posts: 7 Private Messages essay2u
JTMc wrote:I don't think they omit any light. They give all the light they can. None is left out.

Best. Post. Ever.

mglennx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mglennx

I bought an early model of this type of clock from Hammacher Schlemmer years ago. Mine was ~$100, but they have a similar model on their website now (the "The Peaceful Progression Wake Up Clock") for $79.95, that has six nature sounds (including ocean surf, thunderstorm, white noise, spring rain, mountain stream, and forest stream), an aromatherapy infuser, an optional vibration speaker (for $19.95), battery back-up, and 30, 60 and 90 minute timers that allow you to fall asleep to the sounds as they grow gradually softer and then shut off. Using the aromatherapy basin is optional, of course, but coffee scented oils or beads are as effective for me as the alarm, and the aroma intensifies as the bulb brightens. Grapefruit is another pleasantly stimulating aroma. Bacon would be nice, too (but that would be cruel). You can use the scents that come with it or buy your own. The unit is also smaller (7 1/2" H x 5 1/3" W x 6" D) than the ones offered on Woot today. The reviews on their site are overwhelmingly positive (4.3/5), but there are some very specific complaints. Mine is a previous version, bulkier and not as pretty, but I love it and have never regretted the purchase. Taking into account that you are likely to use your alarm clock 5 days a week, around 50 weeks of the year, the cost-per-use is relatively small. And when you consider the benefits of starting your day with a gentle wake up from a gradually increasing light and the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee or the bright citrus tang of grapefruit, as opposed to being introduced to yet another work day by AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" at full volume, you will no doubt consider it money very well spent.

Michelle

cbomberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbomberg

It doesn't say the women in the pictures are not included. In for three!